• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

I almost wish we lost points here to teach us a lesson. Swansea missed three sitters today that most other teams would've scored from. We were abject in the first half but improved in the second; we were still far from great though.

And LOL at Clyne getting MotM over Mane, Clyne lost his man for the Swansea goal and was sub-par for the first half whereas Mane was our only solid player across the whole 90 mins. Sturridge though was truly awful.

I think Klopp has the presence to hammer home the fact that the first 45 and final 5 minutes of that game were nowhere near good enough. Very, very fortunate to win that. Lessons to be learned, but points in he bag.

Gambit

Our best striker

Meanwhile müller...dunno what happened to him since last april :(

It really has been a long time since he played his normal level. I am beginning to get worried. At the moment he ought to start on the bench based on his form.

Garjon

I think Klopp has the presence to hammer home the fact that the first 45 and final 5 minutes of that game were nowhere near good enough. Very, very fortunate to win that. Lessons to be learned, but points in he bag.

True, I think I may be still in the mindset of B. Rod. still being our manager for some reason. We're still incredibly naive defensively though and Karius needs to fucking learn when to come and when to stay

Floody

We really shouldn't have gotten anything from Swansea there, they were the better team for the most part and we looked really average, but I'm really happy we did win when we were poor, we usually just get smashed and then bounce back the next game. Also, fun fact Milner has as many goals as Zlatan so far this season, playing LB, does he ever miss pens?

Anyways hoping City and Spurs take points off each other to make the top 4 really close. Would be great if Arsenal get Burnley'd too, but they look really good at the moment so I doubt it'll happen.

We really shouldn't have gotten anything from Swansea there, they were the better team for the most part and we looked really average, but I'm really happy we did win when we were poor, we usually just get smashed and then bounce back the next game. Also, fun fact Milner has as many goals as Zlatan so far this season, playing LB, does he ever miss pens?

Anyways hoping City and Spurs take points of each other to really make the top 4 really close. Would be great if Arsenal get Burnley'd too, but they look really good at the moment so I doubt it'll happen.

Actually they were only better for the first half of football. We killed them in the 2nd half, not sure which game you were watching. Although it looks like set pieces will continue to be our main problem.

yes if BVB wins tonight (which is a big if.. leverkusen is a hell of a team) then they will only have 1 point difference to bayern (one can dream)
Yeah ancelotti has to do something
Our bad form is on him.
4-3-3 just doesn't work with us

ancelotti to get fired. next stop: Labbadia

Floody

Actually they were only better for the first half of football. We killed them in the 2nd half, not sure which game you were watching. Although it looks like set pieces will continue to be our main problem.

They should have been like 3-4 up, they were very good most of the game, and made us look bad for lots of it, I do agree the second half we were much better though, but wouldn't say we killed them, more like they gassed and we went up a gear, we were still very lucky to even be in the game by that point though.

la_briola

Pep is a fraud!

edit: I meant Ancelotti, oops!
invoker-laugh.gif

They should have been like 3-4 up, they were very good most of the game, and made us look bad for lots of it, I do agree the second half we were much better though, but wouldn't say we killed them, more like they gassed and we went up a gear, we were still very lucky to even be in the game by that point though.

That doesn't mean they played better than us overall. I remember a time where Liverpool, the woodwork and the post were best of friends. Lord knows we played well but still lost games even though we should have been up 3 to 4 goals on our opponents.

Yeah ancelotti has to do something
Our bad form is on him.
4-3-3 just doesn't work with us

We were quite compact on defense though.

But TBH: neither side could have complained 'bout a loss. Bayern had some big chances (Thanks again, Timo!), and Zoller let the winner slide in the 90th....

spidye

We were quite compact on defense though.

But TBH: neither side could have complained 'bout a loss. Bayern had some big chances (Thanks again, Timo!), and Zoller let the winner slide in the 90th....

agreed.

but we were without any chances against atletico and the hamburg match was not much different.
fact is we are playing below our capabilities
Edit: just to clarify, these are normal problems when you change your coach.

Floody

That doesn't mean they played better than us overall. I remember a time where Liverpool, the woodwork and the post were best of friends. Lord knows we played well but still lost games even though we should have been up 3 to 4 goals on our opponents.

I'd probably say we were about even overall, maybe we were just better, but yeah, Swansea definitely reminded me of us from even just last season, it is quite nice winning the game when we aren't at our best for a change, we'd often make other teams keepers look absolutely world class in these type of games though, Swansea just fucked up their chances more than anything which is a little concerning.

la_briola

In other news: "Weiterer Schritt zurück an die Spitze des deutschen Rekordmeisters: Uli Hoeneß wurde am Samstag vom Verwaltungsbeirat des FC Bayern München wie erwartet alleinig zum Kandidaten für die Präsidentschaftswahl am 25. November vorgeschlagen."

TL;DR: Hoeneß will soon be President again.

spidye

so if pep's a fraud,

and tuchel is a pep wannabe,

does this mean tuchel's a fraud too?

need milch or penny weigh on this

eldudebro

Knew we wouldn't win today.

On our day I fancy us to beat anyone, inconsistency is going to kill us. 2 losses and it's only first day of October.

If Bayern dropping points can't motivate our players to get out there on field and get the business done, I don't know what will.

I'd probably say we were about even overall, maybe we were just better, but yeah, Swansea definitely reminded me of us from even just last season, it is quite nice winning the game when we aren't at our best for a change, we'd often make other teams keepers look absolutely world class in these type of games though, Swansea just fucked up their chances more than anything which is a little concerning.

You are so correct in this. I swear Liverpool make sub par keepers look world class. Like you said, its good that we are winning games even when we don't play well, which is unheard of for Liverpool of late.

But man we still can't keep a clean sheet to save our ass.

Beefy

@SkySportsNewsHQ
BREAKING: Three men arrested after violent incidents outside the London Stadium following match between West Ham and Middlesbrough. #SSNHQ

Pennywise

I think it's just that Leverkusen was so damn motivated.

Yup.
Leverkusen wanted those points and was focused.

Our concentration was lacking, the basic passes and movement.
Obviously some tactical changes due the rotation also didn't work and Leverkusen defended really well.
We're having our fair share of problems with teams pressing that high.

Jarnet87

How good has Chicharito been? He's killing it in Deutschland.

Glad to see he is still scoring goals for fun. He got the short end of the stick at United. Great debut season, solid 2nd season and then pushed aside in the third despite double digit goals in all 3. his all around game was lacking at times but he always banged in goals.

slider

We were far better today. Boro's only goal was marginally in. Defence looked much sturdier.

All the rest of my post was guff. The only bit I meant was that we're moving in the right direction. Pleased. But there's a long way to go.

How was Obiang? Been keen to see him get a run out.

Syder

How was Obiang? Been keen to see him get a run out.
Needs to be a starter from now on, in my opinion. Noble & Kouyaté were better than they have been but Obiang looked like he wanted to cover every blade of grass, he helped out defensively and was great to watch.

Negatives with the Stadium continue though. Took them until October 1st to get decent stewarding of the away fans (this situation could have been really fucking dangerous before now), however the change meant we had to do the long circuit round the stadium to get to Stratford Station. Really frustrating as someone that actually likes the Olympic Stadium. Not the club's fault but there was also some sort of bomb scare when we actually arrived at the station too which meant we had to wait for them to re-open it.

Töre is wank. Wouldn't be shocked to see him lining up for a Championship team next season.

How many more games before pool players get burn out?

That could be the theme of the season for the teams who are currently playing like they will be challenging for the title. Who will run out of steam first, City, Tottenham or Liverpool and who might benefit from that.

Have a feeling that City are going to lose today. I bloody hope not but after how intense that mid week match was it will have had an impact on the team and Tottenham have been playing really decent (though not as good as their stats would suggest).

bjaelke

How many more games before pool players get burn out?

Looking at the players on the bench yesterday and the fact that we don't have European football this season I'd say we have a good chance of keeping it up. We'll definitely see a dip in form at some point but that's just normal.

NHale

What I find more interesting is that Liverpool already played Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea away (3 out of the predictable top 6, all away from home).

In comparison only Arsenal played 2 top 6 teams already but both were at home.

What I find more interesting is that Liverpool already played Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea away (3 out of the predictable top 6, all away from home).

Not being funny, but are Chelsea really in the 'predictable' top 6 right now? Skirting it maybe, but definitely not solid.

Top Bottom