• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Onemic

Im trying to get into football as it seems that watching games locally isnt as hard as I thought it would be. In terms of the EPL(and I guess this extends to other leagues as well), other than Champions league what events are the most important for a club to win? Premier League champions, FA Cup champions, or EFL Cup champions?

I don't know about Canadia, but I heard somewhere that it's on purpose that there are only a few games aired live. So people would go to the stadiums more or something.

The reason Sportsnet World has only some of the matches is because the Premier League rights in Canada is split between Sportsnet and TSN and the other matches are on TSN.

As for the NBA League Pass for the EPL, it really depends on the rights holder of your country. There are certain countries that offer something similar to it, but not in Canada.

For America, NBC has all the rights so NBC has all the matches aired whether on one of the TV channels or all online. Of course, it needs cable authentication to view it online.

In UK, any Sat. 3 PM UK time matches are not aired in England for the reason of wanting people to go to stadium to watch their local football team.

Thanks. Sucks that there isnt a catch all solution.

King_Moc

Banned
Im trying to get into football as it seems that watching games locally isnt as hard as I thought it would be. In terms of the EPL(and I guess this extends to other leagues as well), other than Champions league what events are the most important for a club to win? Premier League champions, FA Cup champions, or EFL Cup champions?

Premier League >>>>>>> FA Cup >>>>>>>> EFL Cup

The perceived importance of the knockout cups has really dropped in recent years, but the league has always been the number 1 anyway.

Syder

In terms of the EPL(and I guess this extends to other leagues as well), other than Champions league what events are the most important for a club to win? Premier League champions, FA Cup champions, or EFL Cup champions?
It really depends on the club.
Teams like City who've won the league more recently would want to progress and be able to compete in both the Champions League and title race simultaneously. Chelsea are an example of a club who had won the league several times but had never won the Champions League until 2012 where despite a poor league finish (5th), an inexperienced manager and aging squad they managed to finagle their way to the Final and beat Bayern Munich IN Munich to win their first Champions League. Whereas a club like Man Utd who've fallen out of the title contention in recent years want to make a serious attempt at winning the league title. You also have a club like Arsenal who haven't won the Champions League and haven't won the league recently either, so you get the feeling Wenger wants to win either of those to go out on a high. There's also clubs like Liverpool, Everton and Spurs who have a history of winning the top division but haven't done it for over 20 years and so there's a fanbase that remember those successes and want to see them repeated.

Mid-table sides want to compete for top 7 and top 4 places and the FA Cup and League Cup represent a shortcut into the Europa League with the FA Cup having a lot more prestige and history associated with it; as a West Ham fan, I'd love to see my club win the FA Cup but I realise that finishing in the Top 4 is far more financially rewarding than winning a domestic cup. Although, most English clubs don't take the EL seriously unless they can half-arse their way through the group stage easily and qualifying via the FA Cup means the competitive season starting in July which can disrupt preparation for the season ahead.

Onemic

Premier League >>>>>>> FA Cup >>>>>>>> EFL Cup

The perceived importance of the knockout cups has really dropped in recent years, but the league has always been the number 1 anyway.

It really depends on the club.
Teams like City who've won the league more recently would want to progress and be able to compete in both the Champions League and title race simultaneously. Chelsea are an example of a club who had won the league several times but had never won the Champions League until 2012 where despite a poor league finish (5th), an inexperienced manager and aging squad they managed to finagle their way to the Final and beat Bayern Munich IN Munich to win their first Champions League. Whereas a club like Man Utd who've fallen out of the title contention in recent years want to make a serious attempt at winning the league title. You also have a club like Arsenal who haven't won the Champions League and haven't won the league recently either, so you get the feeling Wenger wants to win either of those to go out on a high. There's also clubs like Liverpool, Everton and Spurs who have a history of winning the top division but haven't done it for over 20 years and so there's a fanbase that remember those successes and want to see them repeated.

Mid-table sides want to compete for top 7 and top 4 places and the FA Cup and League Cup represent a shortcut into the Europa League with the FA Cup having a lot more prestige and history associated with it; as a West Ham fan, I'd love to see my club win the FA Cup but I realise that finishing in the Top 4 is far more financially rewarding than winning a domestic cup. Although, most English clubs don't take the EL seriously unless they can half-arse their way through the group stage easily and qualifying via the FA Cup means the competitive season starting in July which can disrupt preparation for the season ahead.

Thanks for the explanation.

Im gonna mainly focus on watching EPL (Chelsea fan) and maybe Bundesliga from time to time.

Onemic

Just wondering here. Is there a reason why the big leagues like EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, etc. are not as competitive as other leagues like the NFL, NBA, NHL, etc. Especially for the non-EPL leagues, it seems that for the most part there's only 2 competitive teams and everyone else is just fighting for scraps.

King_Moc

Banned
Just wondering here. Is there a reason why the big leagues like EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, etc. are not as competitive as other leagues like the NFL, NBA, NHL, etc. Especially for the non-EPL leagues, it seems that for the most part there's only 2 competitive teams and everyone else is just fighting for scraps.

Well, there's no draft system in place. So the richer clubs can generally buy the best players.

Hence the Leicester thing being a borderline miracle.

Jarnet87

Well, there's no draft system in place. So the richer clubs can generally buy the best players.

Hence the Leicester thing being a borderline miracle.

yeah much more like baseball. A team gets hot and has a magical season. Then the team gets raided by the bigger clubs.

Lunar FC

Id say EPL is more competitive than the NBA and NFL right now.

Kuros

There is also no revenue sharing aside from TV money (and even TV money was massively rigged in Spain)

All those Raiders shirts sold don't help Oakland as it goes into one central pot.

Man U/Liverpool etc get 100% rev from their own merch sales.

la_briola

There is also no revenue sharing aside from TV money (and even TV money was massively rigged in Spain)

All those Raiders shirts sold don't help Oakland as it goes into one central pot.

Man U/Liverpool etc get 100% rev from their own merch sales.
Doesn't Adidas gets nearly everything from United shirt sales? One of the reasons why their contract is worth so much?

PatjuhR

Youth academies too.

Personally, I really hate the concept of a draft. Historically, football is about grass roots development.

I love the draft. I love the whole concept of the NBA for example. As it is now the bigger teams don't really use their homegrown players anyways.

Kuros

Doesn't Adidas gets nearly everything from United shirt sales? One of the reasons why their contract is worth so much?

It's irrelevant to the point. Man Utd are getting paid for their shirt sales and have the freedom to sell their shirt contract to the highest bidder. The Raiders have to spread their money into the pot.

14480699_1257709174279550_4456127668038399476_o.jpg

Jack cw

Its a hilarious season so far in Bundesliga.
Bayern is choking, yet no club is taking advantage. Instead the lead grows...
At least Frankfurt, Köln and Hertha play solid.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind Red Bull making it to CL. Would be very interesting and I like the club and how they work. And I don't get the hate about them. Some clubs are getting their millions from pills, cole, cars. At least they do something with all the money, unlike Hamburg.

la_briola

Its a hilarious season so far in Bundesliga.
Bayern is choking, yet no club is taking advantage. Instead the lead grows...
At least Frankfurt, Köln and Hertha play solid.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind Red Bull making it to CL. Would be very interesting and I like the club and how they work. And I don't get the hate about them. Some clubs are getting their millions from pills, cole, cars. At least they do something with all the money, unlike Hamburg.

TBH I don't hate them either. I like that they focus on young players instead of buying proven and expensive ones.

They also play attractive football. Rangnick knows what hes doing.

Syder

He doesn't seem like the kind of character who'll keep quiet when he retires
Yeah, but he won't be nearly as relevant so hopefully it won't even pop up on my radar. Guy is proven to be charismatic, thoughtful and even nice, yet blames these stupid outbursts/incidents on 'his upbringing'. Grow up, Joey, you're 34 years old.
It's a shame, none of the managers he's had could really set him straight because he was so promising as a teenager at City.

Onemic

So what would you guys say are the best websites for covering news and statistics in football?(The ESPN/Basketball Reference equivalent I guess)

King_Moc

Banned
What's the difference between a standing area and a "safe standing" area. Are the standing areas in League One unsafe somehow?

There are railings inbetween each row, so that a crush would be impossible. The railings also have seats on them, so the ground can still do all seating like Dortmund do on European nights.

Top Bottom