• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

So Southgate beat Malta in a mediocre performance, then drew to Slovenia with a dogshit performance.

He's perfect for the England job. #statusquo.

May as well get rid of the managers and let the players manage themselves. can't be much worse and save a load of cash.

Tecl0n

WHAT IN HTE EVER LOVING FUCK WAS THAT.

Dybala has to play as fucking trecuartista?
He takes out Gaitan and Banega for MORE attackers?

Demichelis hasn't played in months why the fuck is he starting.

Beefy

The police accounts of the Russian violence at he Euro's in France is scary. Saw the interview on BBC

One cop said he had never seen anything like it in 20yrs of policing football games. On one night the French police told him there was 5 English fans in critical condition. One English fan had their achilles tendons sliced so he couldn't get up and run away, so they could beat him some more. They then left him on the floor to die allowing a second wave of Russian thugs to come in and do some more damage.

He also said don't go to Russia as they have no chance of protecting you.

tim.mbp

Serge Aurier is a strange dude. Helps save a Mali player from swallowing his tongue during an epileptic seizure and does a throat cutting celebratory gesture in the same game.

bjaelke

Celtic, Ajax and other clubs from outside the top 5 leagues are discussing a new intercontinental super league as a response to the new Champions League structure. The rumour came up back in March and has now been confirmed by the CEO of FC Copenhagen. Top teams from Belgium, Netherlands, Scotland and Scandinavia are all involved in the preliminary talks - Portuguese and Swiss team seem to have passed on the opportunity.

PatjuhR

Don't really know what to think about it. I'm from the Netherlands and an Ajax supporter.

Our teams stand no chance at all in the CL and won't be in future anymore. The money gap is just to big. Altough we eliminate ourself from playing in the CL, which is a great competition to play in.

As an Ajax supporter I want to see Ajax compete with the sub-top of the big leagues. And that will go to waste aswell with this.

tim.mbp

They should stay in the Champions league but leave their respective domestic leagues to form a cross border Northern Europe League.

RiggyRob

Celtic, Ajax and other clubs from outside the top 5 leagues are discussing a new intercontinental super league as a response to the new Champions League structure. The rumour came up back in March and has now been confirmed by the CEO of FC Copenhagen. Top teams from Belgium, Netherlands, Scotland and Scandinavia are all involved in the preliminary talks - Portuguese and Swiss team seem to have passed on the opportunity.

Someone should give them the memo that the Europa League already exists.

Beefy

The re-trial is disgusting and I hope they hold another trial.

Cuu7e0VWEAATaRC.jpg

Syder

The re-trial is disgusting and I hope they hold another trial.

Cuu7e0VWEAATaRC.jpg
If he wasn't rich/well known he'd still be guilty
What makes me laugh is his Missus front and centre of every public appearance and defending him to the hilt and yet he still had sex with an inebriated 19 year old girl while they were together.

I think with how unsuccessfully rapists are generally dealt with by the law, the fact that he served 2 and a half years could be seen as a victory, sadly.

Regardless of whether or not you think he is guilty, what is undeniable is the fact that his behaviour was sketchy and unethical, at best. He's got the Not Guilty verdict and I'm fine with him pursuing a career as a footballer, in contrast to how I felt before the verdict had been quashed but he had 'done his time'; a convicted rapist should never be playing professional football, though I still would never want to see him wearing my club's shirt.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
His missus is a moron. He'll cheat again, and she'll deserve it imo

I feel for the girl who he attacked (if he did)

Maybe in the next few decades rape cases will be dealt with properly

Beefy

What makes me laugh is his Missus front and centre of every public appearance and defending him to the hilt and yet he still had sex with an inebriated 19 year old girl while they were together.

I think with how unsuccessfully rapists are generally dealt with by the law, the fact that he served 2 and a half years could be seen as a victory, sadly.

Regardless of whether or not you think he is guilty, what is undeniable is the fact that his behaviour was sketchy and unethical, at best. He's got the Not Guilty verdict and I'm fine with him pursuing a career as a footballer, in contrast to how I felt before the verdict had been quashed but he had 'done his time'; a convicted rapist should never be playing professional football, though I still would never want to see him wearing my club's shirt.

So, in an effort to extinguish at least some of the stupid, herewith 10 myths we can squash at the outset:

1. So Ched Evans has been proved innocent, right?

Wrong. You’d be forgiven for thinking this, given that it was in the prepared statement read out by his solicitor, but Ched Evans has not “demonstrated his innocence”. That is not how our criminal justice system operates. It is not a means by which the truth of a situation or event is conclusively and fully determined. Rather the jury are asked one simply question – are you sure that the prosecution has proved its case beyond reasonable doubt (or, as juries are commonly instructed, so that you are sure)? “Not guilty” means just that. The jury were not sure that he was guilty. They may have decided that he was totally, utterly innocent, but we don’t know. All we know is that they considered the evidence, and were less than sure of his guilt. As I tell juries in every closing speech – if you think the defendant probably did it, he’s still not guilty.

2. Well at the very least, the verdict means that the complainant has lied, surely?

No. Absolutely not. A not guilty verdict in most cases is insufficient to safely infer that the jury have concluded that a complainant lied (as opposed to the jury not being sure one way or the other), but in this case the facts suggest the opposite. As the Court of Appeal made clear in its judgment allowing the appeal, X has never asserted that she was raped. She has always simply maintained that she had no memory of what happened. It was the prosecution case – the case theory of the Crown Prosecution Service – that she was raped. The defence case was based not on the “usual” he said/ she said dispute over consent, but rather he said/ she can’t remember. There is absolutely no safe basis for suggesting she has lied, or, to quell the more hysterical calls, that she should be prosecuted on the basis of Evans’ acquittal.

More on the website, some pretty disturbing stuff:

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2016/10/14/10-myths-busted-about-the-ched-evans-case/

Syder

Since 2009, Evans has been dating Natasha Massey. Massey's father, Karl, a businessman, funded a website, "Chedevans.com", which proclaimed Evans to be "wrongly convicted of rape on 20th April 2012". He also hired lawyers for an appeal. In January 2015, the Attorney general's office announced that they were "considering the issues" of a possible breach of the contempt of court laws by the website.

Evidence, not seen by the jury but discussed in open court, included two Facebook messages Miss Massey had sent to a prosecution witness after the first trial. She wrote to Gavin Burrough, a night receptionist at the Premier Inn, saying there was a £50,000 reward for any new evidence. "I'm literally begging. If you know anything please help me," she said.
Mr Burrough said he could not provide any more information as what he told the jury in the first trial was the truth. The prosecution said the messages were an "attempt to induce Mr Burrough to change his evidence", but the defence successfully argued they were the actions of a "desperate girlfriend" seeking to clear her boyfriend's name.
Sounds like they deserve each other.

The fact is Ched Evans thought it would be a good idea to join in having sex with a young, drunk woman Clayton McDonald had brought back to their hotel after entering the room without asking. Whether or not she was drunk enough to be unable to consent is what the court was there to decide. The alleged victim has had to go through a fair bit of abuse from associates of Evans and online trolls since, making it necessary for her to change her identity a few times.

...and in other classy news, Adam Johnson's ex-girlfriend tweeted her delight at Ched Evans rape conviction being overturned this afternoon.

'Team Ched' Ugh... Rape and child molestation cases being boiled down to 'teams'. Fucking kill me now.

Syder

Langkamp is such a prick.

giphy.gif

I expect that red card will be rescinded. Emre Mor could do with reigning in the temper though.

T-Rex.

Banned
It's sad how the pundits are still taking the piss out of Luiz when he's been alright so far. Cahill's been the awful one. They made their mind up about Luiz before he rejoined and are just ignoring how he's actually performing.

Pennywise

Langkamp is such a prick.

giphy.gif

I expect that red card will be rescinded. Emre Mor could do with reigning in the temper though.

He said in the interviews afterwards, that he made to much out of it and it wasn't a red card....only did it in the heat of the moment.

Since it was a factual decision by the ref, he will still be suspended.
However it could be only one game, after what Langkamp said.

spidye

we need to invest next year

it's really baffling how we didn't already invest THIS year. I mean this is not something new.
what where Rummenigge and Hopfner thinking? you can argue that ancelotti didn't know the team that well (although our injury record should be well known by now) but the rest of our coaches/managers?

Top Bottom