• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Audioboxer

Nobody would deny that Moyes was out of his depth at United, it's just funny to point out the double standards when comparing his results and transfer spend to Mourinho's and LVG's.

Nobody is a "Moyes fan" Audioboxer! I have some sympathy for him and I think he was set up to fail and it would be sweet karma if Ryan Giggs never gets a big job in football management for his part in it but that's as far as it goes.

After this many games, sure. How many football fans hang up their viewing "boots" and say that's things done before they are done? Once Mourinho finishes in 7th and the club doesn't get into the Champions League then it will be double standards to defend Mourinho at United compared to Moyes.

In terms of experience and history though it's not even a comparison. Regardless of how shitty Man Utd are playing just now I don't think you'll find many wanting Moyes back with his epic signings such as Fellaini. At least Mourinho can get Pogba and Ibra to United, even with the form they have now displayed. Ibra did start well though.

brentech

goodjob.gif

EmiPrime

After this many games, sure. How many football fans hang up their viewing "boots" and say that's things done before they are done? Once Mourinho finishes in 7th and the club doesn't get into the Champions League then it will be double standards to defend Mourinho at United compared to Moyes.

In terms of experience and history though it's not even a comparison. Regardless of how shitty Man Utd are playing just now I don't think you'll find many wanting Moyes back with his epic signings such as Fellaini. At least Mourinho can get Pogba and Ibra to United, even with the form they have now displayed. Ibra did start well though.

It's pretty normal to take stock after 10 games and again at Christmas. These are pretty standard milestones.

And again you can be of the opinion that Moyes was hard done by and that he was out of his depth. The two aren't mutually exclusive. The calls to bring back Moyes are just people taking the piss. He's the spectre that will haunt any United manager that isn't keeping the club in the top 4.

Audioboxer

It's pretty normal to take stock after 10 games and again at Christmas. These are pretty standard milestones.

And again you can be of the opinion that Moyes was hard done by and that he was out of his depth. The two aren't mutually exclusive. The calls to bring back Moyes are just people taking the piss. He's the spectre that will haunt any United manager that isn't keeping the club in the top 4.

I don't disagree with any of these points. The club and manager should both be getting criticised just now. Where they come out in January will really start to be squeaky bum time though.

And yeah Moyes was hard done by, but at the end of the day he accepted the pressure and the task. The first manager after Fergie was always going to either make it or cause a ton of damage.

Lastly I get banter in football, there are people who genuinely hate Ferguson and will call him a shite manager. Many of us do get frustrated though when we're trying to hash out reasonable debates and people can't resist trying to come in and hit you with "banter". Don't feed the trolls I guess, but when you're reeling at a poor result the trolls can be at their most effective to bait you!

My banter still stands on the table as well, if any of you want Moyes as your manager push for it when he gets let go by Sunderland :p

I don't disagree with any of these points. The club and manager should both be getting criticised just now. Where they come out in January will really start to be squeaky bum time though.

And yeah Moyes was hard done by, but at the end of the day he accepted the pressure and the task. The first manager after Fergie was always going to either make it or cause a ton of damage.

Lastly I get banter in football, there are people who genuinely hate Ferguson and will call him a shite manager. Many of us do get frustrated though when we're trying to hash out reasonable debates and people can't resist trying to come in and hit you with "banter". Don't feed the trolls I guess, but when you're reeling at a poor result the trolls can be at their most effective to bait you!

My banter still stands on the table, if any of you want Moyes as your manager push for it when he gets let go by Sunderland :p

No offense to you but I think maybe you just take it too seriously. As much as I love my team (Liverpool), I never let stuff like that gets to me when the trolls come in with their banter, because at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

Btw I wasn't trolling you earlier, I was just stating my thoughts based on your reply.

Audioboxer

No offense to you but I think maybe you just take it too seriously. As much as I love my team (Liverpool), I never let stuff like that gets to me when the trolls come in with their banter, because at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

Btw I wasn't trolling you earlier, I was just stating my thoughts based on your reply.

You're not wrong either, but it was a combination of the above, being salty at a poor game and poor form and being called an apologist for Mourinho. When there are droves of terrible Man Utd fans, trust me I know, who can't even criticse the club I think it's best to throw such comments at them.

I've been very pragmatic the last few seasons and admit under no illusions Man Utd are a club on decline and rotten internally in many ways. Mourinho is coming too late, but if you're a United fan who had to put up with Moyes and then LvG its no surprise you want Mourinho to succeed.

The start has been pretty damn rough but we hope Mourinho will at least be the one to get rid of deadweight signed by the last two managers and also sell Rooney. He's at least benched the fuck out of him.

You're not wrong either, but it was a combination of the above, being salty at a poor game and poor form and being called an apologist for Mourinho. When there are droves of terrible Man Utd fans, trust me I know, who can't even criticse the club I think it's best to throw such comments at them.

I've been very pragmatic the last few seasons and admit under no illusions Man Utd are a club on decline and rotten internally in many ways. Mourinho is coming too late, but if you're a United fan who had to put up with Moyes and then LvG its no surprise you want Mourinho to succeed.

The start has been pretty damn rough but we hope Mourinho will at least be the one to get rid of deadweight signed by the last two managers and also sell Rooney. He's at least benched the fuck out of him.

I understand where you are coming from. After reading your other replies, I do apologies for making you feel I was insulting you. I do stand by what I said but you were right that I shouldn't have labeled you an apologist based on what I replied to.

Audioboxer

I understand where you are coming from. After reading your other replies, I do apologies for making you feel I was insulting you. I do stand by what I said but you were right that I shouldn't have labeled you an apologist based on what I replied to.

Man Utd and Liverpool bros, see it is possible! I'm not a manc though so maybe that is why :p

Some of those Man Utd fan base channels on YT are horrendous.

I don't know what Jurgen has done to this team. But even when Crystal Palace equalized twice, I was certain we'd go up and score again!

Man Utd and Liverpool bros, see it is possible! I'm not a manc though so maybe that is why :p

Some of those Man Utd fan base channels on YT are horrendous.

My goodness you aren't lying. Fortunately I have friends and family that are United fans and I know they are all decent to have football chat with.

I don't know what Jurgen has done to this team. But even when Crystal Palace equalized twice, I was certain we'd go up and score again!

Last season we would have either drawn or lost.

Syder

Hearing Chelsea Dagger play at Juventus Stadium is weird. Shite defending from Napoli.

EDIT: Damn, What a pass from Insigne. 1-1, Callejón.

EDIT 2: GONZALO!

norinrad

Correction, United will finish at the bottom by the end of the season.

Poor Mike Smalling, he was always stable when LvG was around, so were many of the current deadwood.

Syder

Liverpool are a joy to watch and I hope they take a Top 4 spot but that defence is just not Title-winning material.

Getting a mediocre player for 120 mio € what an incredible achievement
Liverpool are a joy to watch and I hope they take a Top 4 spot but that defence is just not Title-winning material.

I can see klopp getting subotic this winter

Well similar things have been achieved with dortmund. The malaga vs dortmund match is legendary stuff

Timbuktu

He's going for the Leicester approach of scoring 4 or 5 so it doesn't matter if you conceded 2 or 3.

That is pretty much 2013 Liverpool again, winning games 4-3 and never mind about the defence.

That's what they said back then as well... Oh wait. This time round the goals are even more spread around the team and less reliant on a single character or genius other than Klopp's. Defensively, if they narrow it down to the set pieces it might be fixable, but not a bad thing to know the team aren't the finished item and be close to the top.

DBT85

Overall performance yesterday was ok, Heaton was excellent in goal and some days it just doesn't go in. How Ibra missed that sitter at the end I don't know. If we'd got 1 in we'd have probably scored 5.

But the results are what matter, and we aren't getting them. Though at least Rooney isn't getting as much time on the pitch.

I still think we're playing better than under Moyes or Gaal, no matter what the tables say at those respective times.

Overall performance yesterday was ok, Heaton was excellent in goal and some days it just doesn't go in. How Ibra missed that sitter at the end I don't know. If we'd got 1 in we'd have probably scored 5.

But the results are what matter, and we aren't getting them. Though at least Rooney isn't getting as much time on the pitch.

I still think we're playing better than under Moyes or Gaal, no matter what the tables say at those respective times.
denial stage detected

Top Bottom