• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

It would take an astronomical offer to uproot Messrs Gold & Sullivan. They've taken the club from debt and teetering on relegation & obscurity to bagging themselves a 'free stadium' and a financial position where they can drop millions on shite players like Zaza & Ayew. The club was recently valued at £200m and RB would have to pay massively over the odds to attain us.

Wouldn't mind RB too much. The way the board has been treating fans this season it can't get any worse and unlike Leipzig we're an established Premier League club with history.

I despise the way club structures are handled in BPL. Might as well adopt this fucking franchise model from the US. So in a way the BPL "deserves" Red Bullshit.

But you remember SV Austria Salzburg, do you? An established Ausrian Bundesliga club with a lot of history attained by Red Bullshit and basically whiped out. They changed everything. Their traditional violet jerseys became red and white. Their name was changed to FC RedBullshit Salzburg and their crest is this fucking company's logo.

Fans of SV Austria then went on to re-found their beloved club.

I doubt this would be as easy in the BPL but after the MK Dons I wouldn't count it out just yet.

Wasn't MK Dons a case of basically buying a name and trophy cabinet that was attached to a club that was already essentially dead?

Think we need some kind of fan-rep system in the FA that allows ownership and structural changes, without opening the door for owners to change the identity of a club on a whim. Be that a colour change (Cardiff), a name change (Hull) or stadium name change (Newcastle)

Out of interest, has a fit-for-purpose English club relocated since the war? I know Arsenal did it at some point, but my now they're North London through and through

King_Moc

Banned
The only thing that bugs me is there is no playoff system in the Premier League. Oh, and PKs to decide football matches.

The country isn't big enough to make travelling such a pain that you have to split it in half. And when you have one league winner at the end of the season, it's bizarre to give teams underneath a shot at the title too. Rugby has tried this recently and it's stupid. My hometown team won the league after coming fourth, then came first the next season and didn't win it.

Yeah

The league system is as pure a definer as you can get between so many teams imo.

Also fucking lovea good penalty shootout

It's fair, it's tense and you can see just how much it means to everyone. Terrifying when your team is in one though lol

Wasn't MK Dons a case of basically buying a name and trophy cabinet that was attached to a club that was already essentially dead?

Think we need some kind of fan-rep system in the FA that allows ownership and structural changes, without opening the door for owners to change the identity of a club on a whim. Be that a colour change (Cardiff), a name change (Hull) or stadium name change (Newcastle)

Out of interest, has a fit-for-purpose English club relocated since the war? I know Arsenal did it at some point, but my now they're North London through and through

They had a £20m deficit afaik. But then again all those changes (relocation, new name, new colors) have been made without considering their fans' interests. Some even against the FA's.

Yeah

The league system is as pure a definer as you can get between so many teams imo.

Also fucking lovea good penalty shootout

It's fair, it's tense and you can see just how much it means to everyone. Terrifying when your team is in one though lol

Never seen my team go to penalties (hell, only went to Extra Time twice in the last 10 or so years), but penalties are fucking tense. Love em.

Also the league system is awesome. They had talks about introducing play offs to the Bundesliga not so long ago, though, because it would give them more "marketing possibilities". Fuck those suits!

Gothos

Wow, it must be one of the worst Boxing Day fixture in the history of Premier League. Not 1 interesting game. Ridiculous.

Beefy

Fat boy Deeney to take a pen!

1-1

@mike_anstead
Leicester fans have got a Jamie Vardy mask on their seat today - in protest by owners at his ban
C0mo0NSWIAA5krG.jpg

Syder

If Swansea are losing 4-1 at home to us there truly is no hope for them.

Three wins on the spin, we needed them desperately.

Syder

Lol Hull are done, Championship beacons.
So are Swansea, letting us score 4 goals against you at home is about as bad as it gets. I wouldn't bet against Sunderland or an Allardyce team (Palace) based on history so I guess it's anyone else in the bottom half to take the last spot.

Beefy

Lol Hull are done, Championship beacons.

Yep, City were still poor as hell. Need new left and right backs and a new holding midfielder.

So are Swansea, letting us score 4 goals against you at home is about as bad as it gets. I wouldn't bet against Sunderland or an Allardyce team (Palace) based on history so I guess it's anyone else in the bottom half to take the last spot.

Leicester are in trouble.

I'd suspect Sunderland will finally go down this season, they're in the same disinterested owner who wants rid of the club situation as Villa were last season and have no money to spend in the window. Swansea are fucked too and the only glimmer of hope they have is Sigurdsson, who I wouldn't be surprised to see leave in January. If a Everton or West Ham waft say £25-30m in their faces for him would they say no?

Syder

Red Bull denies takeover, Hammers owners 'not looking for investment'
Red Bull has dismissed reports it is interested in buying West Ham, while the east London club's owners have told BBC Sport they are not looking for investors.
It had been reported that the energy drinks giant was considering a £200m offer for the Premier League club. Sullivan and Gold bought a majority stake in West Ham in 2010 in a deal that valued the club at £105m. Between them they now own more than 85% of the club.
Since August's move to London Stadium, West Ham have also been linked with takeovers from Qatari and Chinese groups. Last year Sullivan said it was possible a minority shareholding could be sold to clear debts but that he and Gold intended the ownership to pass on to their children.
I'd say at most RB showed interest and G&S got back to them with a figure way more than they expected which put an end to their inquiries.

They had a £20m deficit afaik. But then again all those changes (relocation, new name, new colors) have been made without considering their fans' interests. Some even against the FA's.

Never seen my team go to penalties (hell, only went to Extra Time twice in the last 10 or so years), but penalties are fucking tense. Love em.

Also the league system is awesome. They had talks about introducing play offs to the Bundesliga not so long ago, though, because it would give them more "marketing possibilities". Fuck those suits!

A penalty kick is likely to be good 85% of the time. I'm not going to be tense when the chance of the kick not going in is 15%....or 1.5 out of 10 kicks being successful. Where the heck is the challenge in that?

EmiPrime

A penalty kick is likely to be good 85% of the time. I'm not going to be tense when the chance of the kick not going in is 15%....or 1.5 out of 10 kicks being successful. Where the heck is the challenge in that?

As an Arsenal fan I find them horribly stressful. Ozil always misses them and this season we even had Sanchez insist on taking a penalty despite our designated taker being on the field (of course he missed).

Watch the Germany-Italy shootout from Euro 2016

The pressure makes players do crazy things. Christ, I've bottled every single penalty I've ever taken in five-a-side lol

King_Moc

Banned
Watch the Germany-Italy shootout from Euro 2016

The pressure makes players do crazy things. Christ, I've bottled every single penalty I've ever taken in five-a-side lol

Yeah, you end up overthinking it. Sometimes you're still caught in two minds when it comes to kicking the ball. It's way harder than most people think.

DBT85

You pick your spot and you stick with it. Don't second guess and don't try and predict what the keeper will do. That's when the uncertainty kicks in.

No issue if the keeper gets to it provided your shot was decent in the first place.

Yeah, you end up overthinking it. Sometimes you're still caught in two minds when it comes to kicking the ball. It's way harder than most people think.
In 5 a side hitting it down the middle isn't an option either :(

That's where I always scuff them to anyway. Except for one in an 11-a-side that I legit twatted about 5 yards over the bar and into a locked playground. Must have looked like a conversion.

Top Bottom