• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Beefy

C1kua5_WEAAOpX3.jpg

Umm ok?

Syder

World Cup to be expanded to 48 teams
The World Cup will be expanded to host 48 teams, up from 32, Fifa has decided.
An initial stage of 16 groups of three teams will precede a knockout stage for the remaining 32 when the change is made for the 2026 tournament.
The sport's world governing body voted through the change at a meeting in Zurich on Tuesday.
The number of tournament matches will rise to 80, from 64, but the eventual winners will still play only seven games.
The tournament will be completed within 32 days - a measure to appease powerful European clubs, who objected to reform because of a crowded international schedule.
The changes mark the first World Cup expansion since 1998.

Why expand?
Fifa president Gianni Infantino has been behind the move, saying the World Cup has to be "more inclusive".
Speaking at a sports conference in Dubai in December, Infantino said expansion will also benefit "the development of football all over the world".
He added: "There is nothing bigger in terms of boosting football in a country than participating in a World Cup."
Despite saying "the decision should not just be financially driven", Infantino did highlight the possible financial upsides.
According to Fifa's own research, revenue is predicted to increase to £5.29bn for a 48-team tournament, giving a potential profit rise of £521m.

Tosyn_88

Just look at the list of players on show, almost filled with La Liga players. This is the summation of what irritates me about modern football or should I say Spanish obsession with star players or even a combination of both. I really cannot wait for the those players to begin their eventual decline (due to age) so we can get a reset of the table again

Syder

The whole backline is a joke, it should consist of Bayern and Juve players. The only part I do agree with is the frontline.
I agree about the backline but I can't really argue with the midfield and strikers.

Bonucci & Chiellini > Ramos & Piqué
...Obviously.

There are so many full-backs I'd rate ahead of Dani Alves, and Marcelo wouldn't be my first choice LB either.

Hummels and Alaba have pretty much been perfect, no big mistakes, solid all season and played exactly how they should in the system. Add Sandro (yeah I know Sandro and Alaba play the same position but Alaba could probably play better on the right than most current right backs) and Chiellini, that is amazing fictional backline. Marcelo is great but he is essentially more of a winger and can often leave the team unbalanced, Ramos is appearing for his match winning goals not his defensive duties. Alves and Pique have not been on form this season and there have been much better examples of fullbacks and centre backs this season.

Audioboxer

Some rumours Uncle Pat might come back to United (
Evra
). I'd welcome it! Rotation player at his age for sure, but the guys a right laugh and would surely help Luke Shaws development as well. If so the French revolution at United continues.

Rojo can't get let anywhere near LB. He's a CB only.

There are so many full-backs I'd rate ahead of Dani Alves, and Marcelo wouldn't be my first choice LB either.

The other picks are silly but Marcelo is hugely valuable to Madrid. Their attack is much less dangerous without his width and the guy is a decent marker too. Gets caught up field some but not as much as you'd expect. Any team would want him as a fullback or wing in a 3-5-2.

TimmmV

Liverpool want £20m for Sakho. they're taking the piss. Hasn't even played for them since last season.

To the buying team Sakho should be worth that easily, hes still a really good defender, hes just fallen out with Klopp. I don't think thats a silly proposition if a few clubs are competing to buy him, especially with how much transfer fees have risen in the last year.

If only one club is willing to go for him though, then yeah, theres no way they'll pay £20m for a player Liverpool have no intention of playing

Syder

The other picks are silly but Marcelo is hugely valuable to Madrid. Their attack is much less dangerous without his width and the guy is a decent marker too. Gets caught up field some but not as much as you'd expect. Any team would want him as a fullback or wing in a 3-5-2.
He's a fantastic player, no doubt, but I'd put Alaba ahead of him in a World XI.

Top Bottom