• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Syder

Bet wenger wishes he bid more than an extra quid for Suarez now
A team with Sánchez/Özil/Suárez would absolutely have won the league by now. Whoever made the decision to make that extra quid bid should absolutely be sacked, was it Wenger?

Technically there was absolutely nothing wrong with that bid for Suarez, they made it under the understanding that a bid of more than 40 million would activate his release clause. Why would you spend more than you have to?

OCD Guy

It was on principle more than anything, adding 1 pound takes the piss. It was why Liverpool just ignored the clause completely.

It just comes across as someone not serious..

"Why would you spend more than you have to?" Is exactly what's wrong with Arsenal. Unfortunately nowadays you need to spend the big money if you want the big players. Yes if someone has a release clause of 50 million you don't offer them 70 million but you don't take the piss out of people either offering a pound. It just blew up in their face.

Jarnet87

A team with Sánchez/Özil/Suárez would absolutely have won the league by now. Whoever made the decision to make that extra quid bid should absolutely be sacked, was it Wenger?

he would have played with Ozil for only a year and not with Sanchez. He was always going to Barca, doubt any team in the Prem could have kept him.

I can't wait for Arsenal to get a new manager to shut certain fans the fuck up. I'm sick of hearing it. Same old, same old. The board should have been decisive when the cries started to grow to keep some semblance within the fan base now those tumours are terminal.

Whatever Arsenal decide to do it will only get worse. Arsenal don't have owners that are visionaries or want to grow the club, its part of a sporting portfolio for them and to grow in the current PL market that means it is a money sink, especially when you look at United, City and Chelsea. If you look at the teams Kroenke owns and look at their playing records you will see it looks very similar to Arsenals, sustained periods where the club is in the area it needs to be to make money without really being successful and no big investments.

That team is a Wenger team through and through. I don't think there are many managers that could do wonders with it and the best players like Sanchez and Bellerín are likely to get poached sharpish if he does leave. Also considering they need a striker, a defensive midfielder and a centre back of a high level to play a more balanced form of footy which most clubs are always trying to find it doesn't look to great unless big changes are made.

Rush_Khan

I can't wait for Arsenal to get a new manager to shut certain fans the fuck up. I'm sick of hearing it. Same old, same old. The board should have been decisive when the cries started to grow to keep some semblance within the fan base now those tumours are terminal.

I don't think it would change them. If anything, when Arsenal are floundering in mid-table they will be saying, "Bring Wenger back." or "Why did you replace him with Moyes?", etc.

But I agree with your point. Honestly, with the exception of Sanchez, Ozil and Cazorla, Wenger has done really well to consistently get top four with these other players. I don't think any manager in the world could win the PL or CL with this team.

I still think questions should be asked of the medical team / training regime as it seems Arsenal's best players are constantly injured at the worst times (see: Cazorla).

Syder

Looks like the Gent manager watched the Liverpool game. Can you press any higher?
KuGsj.gif

Gent is fucking terrible this season (ranked 8th in the league) yet they still manage to outplay Spurs. Good to see Genk also winning in Romania.

Putting some more distance between ourselves and our Dutch neighbours <3

OCD Guy

Gent is fucking terrible this season (ranked 8th in the league) yet they still manage to outplay Spurs.

In a shitty league too right? Just like Germany, France, Spain and Italy.

The premier league is what the English national team are...Overrated

The worst thing is, Spurs fans can't even say they played a weakened team lol.

I know I'm a little harsh, but I've never agreed with anyone that says the Premier League is the best in the world, although it will be over the next few years with more and more legitimate world class players coming over and all the quality managers.

In a shitty league too right? Just like Germany, France, Spain and Italy.

The premier league is what the English national team are...Overrated

The worst thing is, Spurs fans can't even say they played a weakened team lol.

I wouldn't really compare the Belgian League with Germany, France, Spain and Italy lol. But our teams have been performing relatively well in Europe the last few years. And as I type this Astra Giurgiu equalises, thanks Genk.

I think the last few years have shown that Spain is miles ahead of England on the international theatre.

OCD Guy

I wouldn't really compare the Belgian League with Germany, France, Spain and Italy lol. But our teams have been performing relatively well in Europe the last few years. And as I type this Astra Giurgiu equalises, thanks Genk.

I think the last few years have shown that Spain is miles ahead of England on the international theatre.

I just don't like the way some English fans disregard teams, or belittle them and say they're only good because they play in shit leagues, same with the players. If Tottenham benched the likes of Ali, Kane etc and lost they'd have said they would have beaten Genk with first team players lol.

I've lost count of how many times I've heard people talk about world class players and say they're shit because they couldn't handle the premier league etc as though it is the benchmark of quality.

Totally agree about Spain.

edit: It's all over nevermind lol First victory over English opposition too apparently.

VLiberty

Just realized that Gent has a player named K. Coulibaly. My mind is blown
fyi our player K. Koulibaly played for Genk before he came to Napoli

DBT85

Lucky goal, but fuck me that was never a free kick.

Easily could have booked him for that.

Unlucky for Mata to not bury that.

Great run from AM9

DBT85

Could be 2-2 at half-time here so far. United fortunate that they are playing the only team in the world with worse finishing it seems.

AndyVirus

Pretty awful referee and St Etienne deserved an away goal based on the first half, so it's a relief rather than feeling joyous to have 3-0.

DBT85

Happy with the result but there no way we'll win it with defending like that.

Zlatan fell over twice and somehow got what goals as a result so I feel a bit for les verts, but they had plenty of chances of their own and squandered them all.

OCD Guy

Happy with the result but there no way we'll win it with defending like that.

Zlatan fell over twice and somehow got what goals as a result so I feel a bit for les verts, but they had plenty of chances of their own and squandered them all.

And to think people doubted Zlatan...Although I'm not sure how I feel about him playing next season. I'd have liked Mourinho to bring someone else in., or has his extension been triggered??

Man UTD Roma final would be good to watch.

Jarnet87

A team that has an ability to finish puts 2-3 past United. Overall mediocre performance with a great result that should let Jose rest key players for the away leg.

DBT85

And to think people doubted Zlatan...Although I'm not sure how I feel about him playing next season. I'd have liked Mourinho to bring someone else in., or has his extension been triggered??

I believe the triggers gave been activated but all they've done is activate the option for Zlatan. He still has to choose.

NHale

Arsene Wenger says he will not retire this summer, even if it means managing a club other than Arsenal.
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...will-manage-next-year-at-arsenal-or-elsewhere

Regarding United sometimes you get results you don't deserve. Yesterday United didn't actually deserve to win imho. But then I remember games like Burnley, Stoke and West Ham at home where they clearly deserved to win but tied.

By the way, yesterday I saw the stat that United already have more shots on target this year in the Premier League than the entire last year.

Mourinho have said many times that he wants and expects Zlatan to stay another year and then retire. The deal was 1+1 and United wants to pick up the option. Apparently it's now up to Zlatan if he wants to stay another year or not.

And yes they have to bring someone else because Zlatan is not the long term future. I still believe Griezmann is the main target for the summer to play alongside Zlatan for a year and then along Rashford. A couple of days ago the portuguese newspapers were saying Mourinho wants 4 players in the summer. A Center back, left back, holding midfielder and a striker. They mentioned Lindelof (of course portuguese newspapers keep trying to hype Benfica players).

DBT85

By the way, yesterday I saw the stat that United already have more shots on target this year in the Premier League than the entire last year.

I believe we are 1 shot short of last years total. But I might be remembering from the week before.

Jarnet87

I'm fine with Zlatan staying, I'm fine with him going. He has helped us in a transitional year where we needed a goal scorer but had holes in a ton of spots. Griezmann may not be the typical Jose fit but I think his style compliments the other attacking players we have, and I can't really think of a Drogba or Costa type of player that Jose would want for the prem.

longdi

Banned

Im surprised that oldman Zlatan is scoring so many goals. But could he be benefiting from Jose generosity? No need for back tracking, no need to defend, just stand around the final third and score goals. Not even CR7 had such benefits, Jose was throwing fits about CR7 attacking plays.

If Rooney is given a chance to play such a role, i think he can score as freely too, no?

Jarnet87

Im surprised that oldman Zlatan is scoring so many goals. But could he be benefiting from Jose generosity? No need for back tracking, no need to defend, just stand around the final third and score goals. Not even CR7 had such benefits, Jose was throwing fits about CR7 attacking plays.

If Rooney is given a chance to play such a role, i think he can score as freely too, no?

No. Rooney has lost everything that made him a great player.

Top Bottom