• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

tim.mbp

Stupid Serie A directors, every time Icardi scores, cut to Wanda.

C5nx0_pWcAARxgm.jpg

Jarnet87

Nainggolan the absolute madman.

That Inter defense was like watching United's back line do fuck all today.

I'm still puzzled how they pulled it off. That was up there with the first 20-30 minutes of the City game, the first half of the Chelsea game, and the first Watford game. just madness.

Audioboxer

Just seen Ibra's goal, a bit easy! Not great defending. His headers are often unstoppable. Still salty they gave him a 13 rating for heading in FM2017 lol.

Those after match interviews were a hoot.

Tosyn_88

Controversial opinion here. I actually watched the offside Southampton goal and the linesman is correct. The rules says that the once a player is offside, he has to remove himself completely from the situation of play. It's a loose term which is left to the refs which is what caused them the goal. On watching the replay, Bertrand was moving towards the goal line, even though he isn't anywhere close, he should be moving in the opposite direction instead to remove any doubt for the linesman, instead he creates a mirror where the defenders and goal keepers may be confused and thus giving the linesman every reason to doubt the goal. Yes it could also be allowed but it wasn't wrongly disallowed at all, Bertrand made a mess of it

TWXwm

Been trying to share the caption image, I cannot seem to find a way to make it work, can someone help please

Audioboxer

Shame Van Dijk is injured and Fonte left.

Yoshida actually played quite well, but yeah, the defence struggled to handle Ibra. Foster probably could've done a bit better on the freekick as well.

Basically, one of those games you win and think damn we were very lucky. Southampton were definitely the better team. Their midfield and winger link up play was red hot. If you could have pushed it to extra time you'd probably have won. Although subbing off Gabbiadini was stupid, regardless of how tired he might have been. Look at Ibra, kept on until the end.

Syder

It's obvious that the referee thought the goal was scored by Ryan Bertrand.

The rules state if a player doesn't interfere with play it's not offside. Bertrand was inactive and not interfering with play. The rule is inherently flawed because 'interfering with play' is open to interpretation.

tim.mbp

Controversial opinion here. I actually watched the offside Southampton goal and the linesman is correct. The rules says that the once a player is offside, he has to remove himself completely from the situation of play. It's a loose term which is left to the refs which is what caused them the goal. On watching the replay, Bertrand was moving towards the goal line, even though he isn't anywhere close, he should be moving in the opposite direction instead to remove any doubt for the linesman, instead he creates a mirror where the defenders and goal keepers may be confused and thus giving the linesman every reason to doubt the goal. Yes it could also be allowed but it wasn't wrongly disallowed at all, Bertrand made a mess of it

TWXwm

Been trying to share the caption image, I cannot seem to find a way to make it work, can someone help please

Nah. De Gea has his back to Bertrand the whole time. He doesn't even know he's there until the ball is in the back of the net. And Bertrand doesn't make a play on the ball, he just stands there.

Audioboxer

The rules state if a player doesn't interfere with play it's not offside. Bertrand was inactive and not interfering with play. The rule is inherently flawed because 'interfering with play' is open to interpretation.

Yeah, it's not offside at all. The referee should have spoke to the linesman and asked who he flagged, and then ultimately football should be using camera replays for GOAL decisions. I agree we don't need to go to camera replays for every offside call ever made, but for goals we should.

We've finally got goal-line technology in play, this should be next. Takes 20~30 seconds for a video replay to be checked for a goal decision. Moaners can take a hike, as ironically everyone is always moaning when it is YOUR team that gets a goal cut, and waving it off as "part of the game" when it's your opposition.

It's done in rugby, why not football?

Tosyn_88

Here is the issue, interfering implies that the player is making an impact in the opponents decision making which is exactly my point. Bertrand made the linesman job more easier by running towards the goal instead of away from it, he isn't standing still, he isn't withdrawing, he's moving towards the goal, of course that affects defenders and goalkeeper decision which is in fact an interference esp within the six yard box. It isn't as controversial as people think, of course the goal can stand but what linesman will want to do that in the first major call of a final. I mean look at Bertrand, put it out even in a GiF, he's jogging towards the goal like an idiot when he should be withdrawing

Tosyn_88

Nah. De Gea has his back to Bertrand the whole time. He doesn't even know he's there until the ball is in the back of the net. And Bertrand doesn't make a play on the ball, he just stands there.

What?? He doesn't make a play to what? I'd suggest to watch the clip again, perhaps five times

DBT85

My argument at the time was that a player attacking the ball and 2 yards from the actual player that touches is would qualify as interfering. Were he 5 yards behind then it wouldn't be able to be interpreted at all. While the keeper wasn't looking at him, to assume that he doesn't know he's there is a big jump to make.

I'd gladly either go back to the binary on/off or just get rid of it.

All the time linos have to make these calls on the fly there will be mistakes. It's impossible not to make them.

Audioboxer

@JPW_NBCSports
Dermot Gallagher on Gabbiadini's offside goal: "It's a big error. This is what we call a key match decision. It affects outcome of the game"

https://twitter.com/JPW_NBCSports/status/836178264926392321

And it's why I support goal decisions around offside being give 30~60 seconds to have a replay watched, and the decision relayed to the referee. It doesn't undermine the linesman, he or she still gets to make the initial call.

Pretty certain we'll get there eventually.

Beefy

And it's why I support goal decisions around offside being give 30~60 seconds to have a replay watched, and the decision relayed to the referee. It doesn't undermine the linesman, he or she still gets to make the initial call.

Pretty certain we'll get there eventually.

Being looked into this summer.

Hendo out is bad bad news. One of the things we've got to secure in the summer is another midfielder like him that we can build around. We look so much more limp when he's injured.

Can pls, get out of the slump you've been in.

Jarnet87

I see nothing but Leicester sinking straight to the bottom after sacking Rainieri, but would love to see them beat Liverpool tonight.

Tosyn_88

@JPW_NBCSports
Dermot Gallagher on Gabbiadini's offside goal: "It's a big error. This is what we call a key match decision. It affects outcome of the game"

https://twitter.com/JPW_NBCSports/status/836178264926392321

That doesn't go into depth about the rules. A picture has been posted to show you what the linesman is most likely seeing. Let us stop pretending as if the referee had something against Southampton, I stand corrected, it is a controversial decision and could have been given but it wasn't wrongly disallowed. NO, they were not Robbed.

We have this type of goal many times before, the major one was Ribery against Spain in the World Cup (The one Italy won, Zidanes last one). When the ball was initiated, Henry was offside but he immediately raised his hand and started walking back towards the Spanish defence completely eliminating himself from the equation, but Ribery ran and pounced on the loose ball. By contrast, look at what Bertrand is doing?!! Believe it or not, he is in effect affecting play by actively moving towards the ball, do you think if Gabiadini missed the chance, Bertrand wouldn't still have a yard on the defenders for a rebound!!!?

It isn't only a case where the player is obstructing the keeper, the rule says if a player is active and his presence affects both the defenders and the goal keeper, yes he is in effect making an influence on play thereby ACTIVE

Also as enough with this Bertrand isn't in a position where the goalkeeper or defenders are aware of him. I don't know how four defenders and a goal keeper aren't aware of a player within the six yard box

Beefy

That doesn't go into depth about the rules. A picture has been posted to show you what the linesman is most likely seeing. Let us stop pretending as if the referee had something against Southampton, I stand corrected, it is a controversial decision and could have been given but it wasn't wrongly disallowed. NO, they were not Robbed.

We have this type of goal many times before, the major one was Ribery against Spain in the World Cup (The one Italy won, Zidanes last one). When the ball was initiated, Henry was offside but he immediately raised his hand and started walking back towards the Spanish defence completely eliminating himself from the equation, but Ribery ran and pounced on the loose ball. By contrast, look at what Bertrand is doing?!! Believe it or not, he is in effect affecting play by actively moving towards the ball, do you think if Gabiadini missed the chance, Bertrand wouldn't still have a yard on the defenders for a rebound!!!?

It isn't only a case where the player is obstructing the keeper, the rule says if a player is active and his presence affects both the defenders and the goal keeper, yes he is in effect making an influence on play thereby ACTIVE

Also as enough with this Bertrand isn't in a position where the goalkeeper or defenders are aware of him. I don't know how four defenders and a goal keeper aren't aware of a player within the six yard box
You are going against all the refs asked about it (there are many). Who do I trust more to know the rules? A ref or a random on a site?

Syder

Mario Götze won't be able to play for an undefined time because of a metabolic disorder
Borussia Dortmund are to be without Mario Gotze for the foreseeable future after discovering that the World Cup winner's injury problems are being caused by a metabolic disorder.

The 24-year-old returned to BVB last summer, returning from a disappointing three years at Bayern Munich in a £20million move. But Gotze has struggled to rediscover the form that made him Europe's hottest young talent during his first spell at the Westfalenstadion. Gotze has made just 16 appearances, scoring just twice, and has suffered from a number of different muscle problems over the course of the campaign.

Since the winter break, he has featured for only 29 minutes. Gotze's problems, have baffled the club's medical staff, prompting what they have labelled ”a comprehensive internal investigation" into the possible causes. Those tests have revealed ‘metabolic disturbances'. As such, the German international will not train while Dortmund look into planning his recovery, to get him back into action.

NHale

It seems like Leicester approached Sergio Conceição without first talking to Nantes (another Portuguese coach in the PL instead of Gary Rowett or Arry? Can't wait for Merson and Thompson analysis)

The Nantes president is furious and already made a public statement about it. Sergio Conceição to Leicester is laughable to me, considering it's still a good job considering they are in the Champions League and the team isn't terrible. Sergio Conceição doesn't have the CV that deserves that kind of job, he's doing a good work at Nantes but before that he wasn't exactly a great coach at Braga or Guimarães. But maybe nobody wants to accept that job and they are now on their 30th choice...

Tosyn_88

You are going against all the refs asked about it (there are many). Who do I trust more to know the rules? A ref or a random on a site?

I'm not arguing against ALL the referees, I'm simply following the rule which is actually a Google search away. Also you ignore the fact that I said it's a debatable one that can be given as a goal but it isn't also wrongly disallowed either.

For crying out loud, Bertrand even pointed his finger running towards the goal, you only need common sense to notice he is in fact Actively influencing play. Can it be a goal, yes because a different player scored but if it's disallowed, it's not unjustifiable.

ALL referees cannot agree on the same thing as we have clearly seen on many controversial calls, but this ref made his common sense decision in accordance with the rule so people need to back off and realise he wasn't being unfair

Syder

Fucking Liverpool
LLShC.gif

I'm not arguing against ALL the referees, I'm simply following the rule which is actually a Google search away. Also you ignore the fact that I said it's a debatable one that can be given as a goal but it isn't also wrongly disallowed either.

For crying out loud, Bertrand even pointed his finger running towards the goal, you only need common sense to notice he is in fact Actively influencing play. Can it be a goal, yes because a different player scored but if it's disallowed, it's not unjustifiable.

ALL referees cannot agree on the same thing as we have clearly seen on many controversial calls, but this ref made his common sense decision in accordance with the rule so people need to back off and realise he wasn't being unfair
You misunderstand the rule. Even Gary Neville disagrees with you.

Audioboxer

Dude, it was onside :p

Also, lolerpool. Well played getting Raineri sacked Vardy! Judas!

Top Bottom