• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

TimmmV

Only a grand? Come back and talk to me when you've paid a lot more than that.

lmao I just made the point that spending money doesn't mean you can be entitled, and you totally double down on it. If you're spending that much money and it makes you this upset then maybe you should find another hobby?

Also you act like their shit run of form has just started. Name me a top six team that has a bad run of games this long. I mean even Everton is not that far off from us and they were only at 27 points not to long ago.

The shit run is 1 win in 7 league games (which includes the draws vs Chelsea and United). Yes its shit, but its hardly unprecedented. Writing off the club as a whole after Klopp gets 2 cup finals and then the form they had in the first half of the season is a massive knee jerk reaction

Moyes was just so out of his depth it wasn't funny. It was two things. Fergie seemingly wanting to recreate himself in another Scot, and the whole board forgetting the club was not the same "smaller" club it was when Fergie came in and needed a bit of time.

I mean I always felt a bit bad for Moyes because damn, you do NOT want to be following Ferguson. However, the guy was like a deer in headlights. I mean look where he is now, managing Sunderland at the bottom of the table :/ The guy nuked his career leaving Everton where he actually done okay!

Arsenal could end up in a similar position as United were if they're not careful. Regardless of what anyone says about them, they're still a massive club. If you ask me what they've been lacking for years, it's leaders. They sorely miss a Keown, Adams, Vieira, etc. That goes for Liverpool too. Even just United bringing in Zlatan has brought about a bit of that swagger, leadership and arrogance a side needs. Rooney used to provide that at one point, but he's neutered himself in recent years and become a shell of who he used to be.

Moyes was out of his depth yah, especially after he replaced all the backroom staff (that was a huge mistake, and he probably shouldn't have been allowed to do it in the first place), but he wasnt helped by Woodward taking over in the same year, and Ferguson leaving him with a squad that had a lot of old players who had really long past their peak

Liverpool do need a leader now yeah. Henderson tries his best, but hes no Carragher/Gerrard in that sense. Easier said than done to just get a player like that though

faridmon

Tactics will explain you getting beat. It struggles to explain every individual performance being utter shit.

Its motivational thing as well. Clearly Ranieri couldn't aspire them to up their game.

mean look where he is now, managing Sunderland at the bottom of the table :/ The guy nuked his career leaving Everton where he actually done okay!

If he didn't leave back then for United, he would have left because of other reasons.

The separation was wanted by the club and him. He took as as far as he could, and no way he would stayed on if we had any inkiling of ambitions.

DBT85

Moyes was just so out of his depth it wasn't funny. It was two things. Fergie seemingly wanting to recreate himself in another Scot, and the whole board forgetting the club was not the same "smaller" club it was when Fergie came in and needed a bit of time.

I mean I always felt a bit bad for Moyes because damn, you do NOT want to be following Ferguson. However, the guy was like a deer in headlights. I mean look where he is now, managing Sunderland at the bottom of the table :/ The guy nuked his career leaving Everton where he actually done okay!

Arsenal could end up in a similar position as United were if they're not careful. Regardless of what anyone says about them, they're still a massive club. If you ask me what they've been lacking for years, it's leaders. They sorely miss a Keown, Adams, Vieira, etc. That goes for Liverpool too. Even just United bringing in Zlatan has brought about a bit of that swagger, leadership and arrogance a side needs. Rooney used to provide that at one point, but he's neutered himself in recent years and become a shell of who he used to be.

Moyes was a little fucked over by fergie in that he'd papered over cracks for years. But Moyes fucked himself over by sacking so many staff and replacing them. They knew the club inside out and the old boss wasn't sacked. Come in, get your feet underhand make a start.

But he was so out of his depth anyway it never would have mattered.

I hope you don't mind me asking how old are you. I'm 40, I've been supporting this team since I can remember. Majority of my family are United supporters. For 27 years its been the same shit over and over again. You just get tired of it.

I'm 23 years old and I have had a season pass at my team Royal Antwerp F.C. for 17 years. I have witnessed a promotion in 2000, a relegation in 2004 and now we have been stuck in the Belgian second division for 13 years in a row. Back in 1993 we were still in a European Cup final. Fair to say we've had our share of misery. Last Sunday was one of the happiest moments of my life when we qualified for the promotion final against all odds. All I want to say is that when surrounded by misery and despair, success, which will inevitably come to Liverpool one day, will taste all the sweeter.

Football can be heartbreaking but I don't think it is something you can get tired of as a fan.

Audioboxer

Yeah you guys are right about the staff, but managers often do that.

Moyes fucked up Van Persie as well, but he'd probably have been a bit pissed Fergie left. All in Fergie just went a year or two too early, but it was obviously the right time for him and he did get the league title back.

Also true about Woodward too. That guy is a fucking idiot when it comes to football. All he can do well is the business side that the fans don't care about.

lmao I just made the point that spending money doesn't mean you can be entitled, and you totally double down on it. If you're spending that much money and it makes you this upset then maybe you should find another hobby?

But I am entitled. I expect a better performance then the shit they put out today. It's not your place to tell me what I'm entitled to or not.

The shit run is 1 win in 7 league games (which includes the draws vs Chelsea and United). Yes its shit, but its hardly unprecedented. Writing off the club as a whole after Klopp gets 2 cup finals and then the form they had in the first half of the season is a massive knee jerk reaction

Sorry but the problem with Liverpool fans like you is that you dwell on the past to much. 1st half of a season doesn't win you trophies or a title. You can bang about how good the team was for the first half of the season but a season isn't won in the first half.

Liverpool do need a leader now yeah. Henderson tries his best, but hes no Carragher/Gerrard in that sense. Easier said than done to just get a player like that though

Yes Liverpool is lacking a leader and Henderson isn't that player to fill in that role.

DBT85

Yeah you guys are right about the staff, but managers often do that.

Moyes fucked up Van Persie as well, but he'd probably have been a bit pissed Fergie left. All in Fergie just went a year or two too early, but it was obviously the right time for him and he did get the league title back.

Also true about Woodward too. That guy is a fucking idiot when it comes to football. All he can do well is the business side that the fans don't care about.

Managers do often, probably always, do that. But how many preceding managers retire from a PL winning team? If he'd come in with his #2 and maybe a couple of others, got to know everyone and then gone from there he might have found things a little easier. He wasn't coming in, as most managers are, to fix a completely broken team. There were clearly problems int the team as any fan should have been able to see despite winning the league by 11 points, but they weren't broken.

Woodward is a weird one. He was similarly clearly out of his depth when he first arrived, probably not helped by having Moyes as a manager with little draw for big players. From the financial side though, he (or his team) have done amazing things to drive our revenues so high on the back of 3 years of meh. Fans should care, because its things like that that allow us to buy a Pogba or a Griezmann or whatever every year and not bat an eyelid, despite still paying off the Glazers debt and paying top wages.

Fortunately, as Mr Farage would say, things are looking up. Mou has the draw and the will to drop the captain if needed, United have the money, and we've been playing substantially better than the last 3 years. We're still only 6th despite losing 1 game in 26 in all comps, but that's all largely been down to finishing, not overall poor performances.

Apart from Sunday, I've not felt like we looked to get beaten in ages.

casiopao

All this hype for Premier League matches when today is going to have a huge match between Juventus vs Napoli.^^

C'mon Old Lady extend your home Win even more there.^^

DBT85

Consistent at least.
gbMEKKn.png

Audioboxer

Managers do often, probably always, do that. But how many preceding managers retire from a PL winning team? If he'd come in with his #2 and maybe a couple of others, got to know everyone and then gone from there he might have found things a little easier. He wasn't coming in, as most managers are, to fix a completely broken team. There were clearly problems int the team as any fan should have been able to see despite winning the league by 11 points, but they weren't broken.

Woodward is a weird one. He was similarly clearly out of his depth when he first arrived, probably not helped by having Moyes as a manager with little draw for big players. From the financial side though, he (or his team) have done amazing things to drive our revenues so high on the back of 3 years of meh. Fans should care, because its things like that that allow us to buy a Pogba or a Griezmann or whatever every year and not bat an eyelid, despite still paying off the Glazers debt and paying top wages.

Fortunately, as Mr Farage would say, things are looking up. Mou has the draw and the will to drop the captain if needed, United have the money, and we've been playing substantially better than the last 3 years. We're still only 6th despite losing 1 game in 26 in all comps, but that's all largely been down to finishing, not overall poor performances.

Apart from Sunday, I've not felt like we looked to get beaten in ages.

The issue with what goes on in the board room is if it is all that drives a club it kills the fans, passion and football side of things. Plus Woodward was a terrible negotiator when it came to signings. Look at the few times he and the board got taken for a joke with "big signings", and the hundreds of millions blown over the last few years. Pogbas price is a riot, but its the price even Real Madrid would have paid for him. Most of the other signings of the last few years, mehhhh. Even Martial, price tag wise, but at least he's finding his form again.

Blindly blowing money used to be the City way, now it's also the United way.

ElyrionX

Fucking hell that Peter Moore news wasn't a joke. Now I need a goddamn new avatar what the fuck. I've been using this shit for like a decade.

DBT85

The issue with what goes on in the board room is if it is all that drives a club it kills the fans, passion and football side of things. Plus Woodward was a terrible negotiator when it came to signings. Look at the few times he and the board got taken for a joke with "big signings", and the hundreds of millions blown over the last few years. Pogbas price is a riot, but its the price even Real Madrid would have paid for him. Most of the other signings of the last few years, mehhhh. Even Martial, price tag wise, but at least he's finding his form again.

Blindly blowing money used to be the City way, now it's also the United way.

Eh, part of the prices these days is down to the PL having stupid huge money and every other team knowing it. So if you want a talent that they don;t want you to have, you better pay up.

But some of the sagas over the last 4 years involving Woodward have been terrible. So far with Mou in charge, I'm happy with our business, he's even learned to actually get money from others when selling players. Progress!

The other side of it for me has always been that if the Glazers tomorrow gave the entire club to me, they could still go and buy a Pogba or whatever every year. The same couldn't be said for City or Chelsea when they were doing it like they really used to.

Mou has said he already knows who he wants in the summer. Will be interesting to see who and how many, and how long Woodward takes to get it done.

Watch these 4 short woodward docos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cZqTKzS2aI&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ZJg8jI1sU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUVZqkGP27w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhg2HDcYHL8&

Audioboxer

Eh, part of the prices these days is down to the PL having stupid huge money and every other team knowing it. So if you want a talent that they don;t want you to have, you better pay up.

But some of the sagas over the last 4 years involving Woodward have been terrible. So far with Mou in charge, I'm happy with our business, he's even learned to actually get money from others when selling players. Progress!

The other side of it for me has always been that if the Glazers tomorrow gave the entire club to me, they could still go and buy a Pogba or whatever every year. The same couldn't be said for City or Chelsea when they were doing it like they really used to.

Mou has said he already knows who he wants in the summer. Will be interesting to see who and how many, and how long Woodward takes to get it done.

Yeah, I agree, it's mostly the sagas of failed transfers, or flopped players that leave a bad taste. Some of that though was managers fucking up players (Di Maria). It was just a bad mix of missing Fergie and David Gill.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Chuffed to bits we beat Brighton again but fuck me we make it hard. Huddersfield and Reading to come in the next week. We make it through those 2 as well and I'll be more confident we'll go up.

Diame's goal though lol https://twitter.com/jonahdarren/status/836690189250625537

Can't decide how I think Saturday is gonna go (Town fan) should've taken 3 points from Barnsley if not for their keeper and obviously the form we're in ATM is amazing but Newcastle just keep (mostly) grinding out the wins.

Wouldn't worry about reading though, I think they're about done for the season.

casiopao

Yeahh the Old Lady win.^^ But man, the news on Italy is going to go crazy with that penalties for sure.T_T

Mad Max should stop tinkering the formation here.T_T

TimmmV

Hodgson would keep Leicester safely mid table, but also suck all the fun out of their play (when they play well). I'm pretty confident that had Hodgson been managing Leicester on Monday then Liverpool would have beaten them, just cos he wouldn't have them breaking through Vardy like they did

Feel sorry for Bournemouth atm, pretty sure they're gonna go down with all the changes the teams below them are making.

Audioboxer

Hodgson would keep Leicester safely mid table, but also suck all the fun out of their play (when they play well). I'm pretty confident that had Hodgson been managing Leicester on Monday then Liverpool would have beaten them, just cos he wouldn't have them breaking through Vardy like they did

Feel sorry for Bournemouth atm, pretty sure they're gonna go down with all the changes the teams below them are making.

I think most football fans would rather watch paint dry than a Hodgson team. He's like Van Gaal on sleeping pills.

Syder

Liverpool should absolutely double-down on Klopp. He fucked up this year but that first third of the season is the best football Liverpool have played in a long time. If they had a decent defence they'd be pushing Chelsea.

TimmmV

I think most football fans would rather watch paint dry than a Hodgson team. He's like Van Gaal on sleeping pills.

Yeah, no doubt (and I say this from experience lol), but he is good at making small teams mid table. As much as I hate him for his time at Liverpool, he did good work at Fulham and West Brom still. If Leicester are only concerned with staying up then he will be a good choice. If they want anything approaching fun there then they should steer well clear lol

Even if he doesn't dig you out of this slump?

Liverpool should absolutely double-down on Klopp. He fucked up this year but that first third of the season is the best football Liverpool have played in a long time. If they had a decent defence they'd be pushing Chelsea.

FSG already have basically doubled down on Klopp by giving him that extension less than a year into his first contract. He would have to really fuck things up to get fired any time soon I think.

Even if he doesn't dig you out of this slump?

Deffo, this summer is massive though. The team has holes the size of Steve Bruce's head in it. Defense needs to be rebuilt, another new keeper, at least two shit kicking midfielders and a centre forward. If we don't bomb out 6 players and sign at least 6-8 players, Anfield is going to be a very angry place next season.

TimmmV

Deffo, this summer is massive though. The team has holes the size of Steve Bruce's head in it. Defense needs to be rebuilt, another new keeper, at least two shit kicking midfielders and a centre forward. If we don't bomb out 6 players and sign at least 6-8 players, Anfield is going to be a very angry place next season.

It really annoys me that Mig has been allowed 3 years of fairly regular mistakes, and Karius seems to have been written off after half a season. He still deserves a 2nd chance

I've got a £50 free bet with Paddy Power.

They're currently offering 12/5 for both Barca and Madrid to score 4 or more tonight. That would see me win £120 (obviously I don't get the stake back).

Yay or nay?

Top Bottom