• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

DBT85

Nah, they'll both get bans. Mings should get a longer one.
Only reason I say that is because they might feel he was just vaulting rooney and caught him.

Us losing Ibra will be worse than them losing mings tho. Can't score for shit.

Audioboxer

Only reason I say that is because they might feel he was just vaulting rooney and caught him.

Us losing Ibra will be worse than them losing mings tho. Can't score for shit.

Yeah, Ibra has a bad game, which he certainly did, and the whole side crumble. Pogba's shooting and finishing in general needs a lot of work. Scoring the odd screamer is all great and exciting every now then, but missing one on one's and easy chances is poor.

Rashford and Martial are now playing more like wingers than strikers. We sorely lack a other striker.

DBT85

Yeah, Ibra has a bad game, which he certainly did, and the whole side crumble. Pogba's shooting and finishing in general needs a lot of work. Scoring the odd screamer is all great and exciting every now then, but missing one on one's and easy chances is poor.

Rashford and Martial are now playing more like wingers than strikers. We sorely lack a other striker.

Pogba has been a shade unlucky in hitting the woodwork like 9 times this season. There is clearly still more he can do, but if a few more of those go in his numbers for the year look better and we've probably got 4 more points.

F34R

Liverpool FC don't make sense and I bloody love it.

Until we lose to Burnley again I mean fuck

IKR! I was really happy with their play yesterday. If they can stay consistent with that, they would be at the top of the table. Look at how many points they've dropped.

Hopefully they keep that type of win through the season.

Audioboxer

Pogba has been a shade unlucky in hitting the woodwork like 9 times this season. There is clearly still more he can do, but if a few more of those go in his numbers for the year look better and we've probably got 4 more points.

He's acting too much like Martial, in that a missed pass, shot or anything else results in him waving his arms about and sighing. Jose has to stamp that shit out. Be professional, and sure, it's okay to express on the pitch disappointment at times but not by acting like a child enraged something didn't go your way.

Ronaldo used to do it 24/7 when he was younger, and I presume it was Fergie who toughened him up. Patience and focus are needed to be world class, not losing control of your emotions and concentration. Ed Woodward and co obviously want to market the fuck out of Pogba as well, but all the haircuts, billboards and dancing is clearly affecting his on the pitch performance.

Also

Manchester United fans believe Kevin Friend was lucky not to be sent off by Zlatan Ibrahimovic

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/05/manch...to-be-sent-off-by-zlatan-ibrahimovic-6489244/

lol

DBT85

Ed Woodward and co obviously want to market the fuck out of Pogba as well, but all the haircuts, billboards and dancing is clearly affecting his on the pitch performance.

Eh, this sounds a bit like old man yells at cloud tbh. Better ban tattoos, coloured boots and jewellery while we're at it.

Audioboxer

Eh, this sounds a bit like old man yells at cloud tbh. Better ban tattoos, coloured boots and jewellery while we're at it.

Not at all? More a case of if you've got your head down and are working hard/well on the pitch it doesn't matter what you're doing off it. If it's arguably visible the pressures of having an emoji made after you, massive advertisement campaign focus and everyone tuning in for your weekly haircut meaning your performances are dull, and your head up your arse, then, yeah. Shit like that would enrage Sir Alex. He wasn't one for players off the pitch antics if it affected performance.

It just further shows the division between fans and a football club being a football club before a massive business/advertising guru. I mean, who gives a shit about club profits when you're sixth in the league and haven't been in the CL for years? It's not an and/or, but you have to be a pretty deranged United fan to think Pogba hasn't been caving to off the field pressures and being a bit unable to control his emotions on the pitch.

That doesn't mean he is shit, it means you care about his future development and do want him to reach a world class status. Not just be a good player who ends up being a mule for making advertisement money. I want him to be a world class midfielder.

It's a huge pet peeve of mine to see a player flailing their arms and dancing around in anger. All that does is reinforce negativity on the pitch and cause you to wind yourself up into a further state of frustration. Look at Pogba the last 20 minutes of the game. Constant wayward passes, poor touches and a general lack of concentration. Martial does it as well, one failed dribble and he's whining. It just zaps your own confidence and brushes off on your team as well, as they start to play more frantic. I mean, how often do you see a player like Carrick whining and moaning when he messes up a pass? (not that he does that often!) Your midfielders need to be calm, cool and collected. If something doesn't work, it hasn't worked, try again. Don't start constantly whining.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Amazing from Kane. He's too good.

Hopefully the atmosphere improves now. I've heard livelier funerals than this.

bjaelke

Lukaku is too good for Everton, lol.
and he knows it
"It's difficult to compare at the moment. They [Suarez and Lewandowski] have the Champions League platform to show themselves.

"Those are the top games where I need to show people I belong to them too."

[...]

"I consider myself one of the best strikers in this league, 100 per cent, but I want to show it as well on the biggest stage in the near future."

Audioboxer

I mean, it's not like you could have expected anything from Sunderland, but Moyes gonna Moyes. Still, if it were Man Utd they were playing, 1-1 draw. United's form against the lower league teams is ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

spidye

Nah

The same happened to alaba. He put his social feeds and his image in front of football and it was clearly obvious by his performance with bayern and euro last year. He was highly criticized for it by the club, fans and even the national team.

He plays much better now thankfully

la_briola

what the hell is happening to Frankfurt
Günter Perl happened.
Frankurt got a goal disallowed that was legit and Freiburg got a goal allowed that was offside.

That ref is going to retire soon.
kunk-rum.gif

BT retains the Champions League rights until 2021.

ONE POINT TWO BILLION POUNDS!!!!

Fucking ludicrous. ITV doesn't even have the rights to show highlights anymore.

Mascot

A friend who works at BT Sport told me a few years ago that they basically have almost unlimited funds to dominate sport broadcasting going forward. It'll only be government legislation that stops them.

Beefy

A friend who works at BT Sport told me a few years ago that they basically have almost unlimited funds to dominate sport broadcasting going forward. It'll only be government legislation that stops them.

Yet still not won't get the viewers.

I know this is going to seem a bit weird but this is the only place on Gaf that might like this.

I am now the proud owner of the background advertising canvas type thing that you see in this photo

hqdefault.jpg

Got it from Auction. It was used in the three home games Leicester played in the Champs League this season. Needless to say it's a ridiculously rare piece. Great bit of Leicester history.

You know I whacked that shit straight on my eBay haha. Still for sale but might offer it to the Leicester City football museum.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

Remember when UEFA said they weren't happy with BT's coverage and poor viewership

LOOOOOOOOOL

Doesn't surprise me. They outbid Sky in every package for the PL rights but actually got turned down.

Remember when UEFA said they weren't happy with BT's coverage and poor viewership

LOOOOOOOOOL

Doesn't surprise me. They outbid Sky in every package for the PL rights but actually got turned down.

All it'll take is one of the streaming big boys like amazon or whoever to flex their muscles and these TV companies would be fucked.

Imagine a service like WWE network where you could watch ANY football game with a 'catch up' feature. If I had a subscription service of even like £20 a month and I knew I could watch any game I'd get it without doubt and millions of other people would.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Lads, what are some good autobiographies or books regarding football? Nearly finished The Bourne Enigma and fancy something new to read before I start Harry Potter again

EDIT: Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Tyrone Mings have both been charged with alleged violent conduct by The FA after Bournemouth vs. Man Utd.

Audioboxer

Lads, what are some good autobiographies or books regarding football? Nearly finished The Bourne Enigma and fancy something new to read before I start Harry Potter again

EDIT: Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Tyrone Mings have both been charged with alleged violent conduct by The FA after Bournemouth vs. Man Utd.

Yup

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been charged with violent conduct by the Football Association for his elbow on Tyrone Mings during Manchester United’s 1-1 draw with Bournemouth on Saturday. Mings has also received a charge of violent conduct for stamping on the United striker’s head during the same match.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...lent-conduct-fa-manchester-united-bournemouth

Man Utd to crash out of the FA Cup (Chelsea were battering them anyway), and drop a place or two in the league, lol.

Provided you don't kiss me. 20 years with Brian Clough.

Brilliant read. Quite humorous too.

TimmmV

operon

All it'll take is one of the streaming big boys like amazon or whoever to flex their muscles and these TV companies would be fucked.

Imagine a service like WWE network where you could watch ANY football game with a 'catch up' feature. If I had a subscription service of even like £20 a month and I knew I could watch any game I'd get it without doubt and millions of other people would.

£20 a month wouldn't cover the costs plus you still have the FA blocking 3pm matches

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Really? How did the PL justify not going with BT instead?

source. they didn't say but I imagine the relationship with Sky was really strong and they simply didn't trust BT yet unlike UEFA who just took the biggest offer.

UEFA have been really critial of BT's coverage and the fact there's no free-to-air games which would get 10m+ viewers whereas BT's average <1m

£20 a month wouldn't cover the costs plus you still have the FA blocking 3pm matches

Yeah you say that but that's only the block on TELEVISED matches.

There is nowhere to say you can't have a streaming service at 3PM. It'd solve that shit outright. It's like the radio coverage of it I guess. That's still allowed even at 3PM haha

DBT85

Really? How did the PL justify not going with BT instead?

The word in the industry was that Sky has in part helped the PL become what it has. The PL were not going to sever all ties for a few hundred extra million in the fear that BT would (and possibly still could) get bored with it and drop off the map, leaving nobody with the money to pay up next time. Sky without the PL would lose huge business and might not be able to offer nearly as much next time around.

Next time around you might see BT get another package, bearing in mind they bid enough on each package last time out to get all of them outright.

Similarly, Sky didn;t seem overly fussed about losing the CL rights, as all they actually want at the English team matches and some of the big games, but by having the rights you have to cover everything. The amount of people and kit required to make it happen is huge.

Top Bottom