• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Harsh to criticise Guardiola for not getting on with the English press when this is the same English press who've been wanking themselves silly at the thought of him failing in England ever since he was appointed. I think a lot of it comes from him picking Bayern ahead of an English side when he left Barca. A lot of the English media saw it as a slight towards the 'Best League in the World' and the desire for him to fail again comes from this innate desire to prove how great the Prem is.

Zasa

Palace ffs.

None of them are hated, Arsene is mocked because he's done so little in a decade. But people like to see someone successful fail. Pep's had 2 of the best teams in the world and rightly won everything with them. I think people are just looking forward to seeing what he can with an actual challenge, which City undoubtedly is. Pep would get far more credit if he'd won things with Athletico and Dortmund than he does for winning with Barca and Bayern.

As I said the other day, he could feasibly spend 2 more years in the PL and still not win it, such is the competition from Chelsea, Pool, Arse, United, and Spurs. City like Chelsea aren't exactly known for sticking by a manager. What are they going to do if Pep gets 4th this year and 4th next year? Most reasonable people would say he keeps his job. But this is City, i genuinely don't know.
Yeah, the PL is stacked right now. Even moreso if Arsenal get a high level manager next year & retain Sánchez & Özil. Considering Pep's relation with Baristan, I'd expect him to stay until his contract runs out & then see what happens after that.

Also, to be fair to Pep, he did gain promotion in Spain with the Barca B team when they were in shambles before he took over.

casiopao

This British obsession with seeing Pep fail & using every straw man argument to disregard his achievements. So odd.

Edit: In other news...
"Kylian Mbappé is not interested in Manchester United, notably the way they play football, according to L'Équipe. More follows."

https://twitter.com/gffn/status/860801959523209216

Lmfao

I don't know why MU head honcho is in anyway still so confident anyone want to sign with them after what happen to Pogba here.O_O

Syder

100%, one of the most close-minded writers I've ever come across. Shame he gets that level of publicity.
Honestly, the tabloids and other forms of media like TalkSPORT are basically invalid sources of information to me. They don't exist, and people should really know by now not to pay attention to them.

Collymore is tied with the entire staff of TalkSHITE for worst pundit in the country. The cast of Soccer Saturday are collectively almost as stupid as well.
Harsh to criticise Guardiola for not getting on with the English press when this is the same English press who've been wanking themselves silly at the thought of him failing in England ever since he was appointed. I think a lot of it comes from him picking Bayern ahead of an English side when he left Barca. A lot of the English media saw it as a slight towards the 'Best League in the World' and the desire for him to fail again comes from this innate desire to prove how great the Prem is.
I don't know where this idea that anyone here cares what other people think of the PL comes from. It's the most popular and that's because it's the most entertaining, but that's just my opinion and I believe that the Championship is more interesting than most top European leagues, so take that for what you will.

Tosyn_88

I don't know why MU head honcho is in anyway still so confident anyone want to sign with them after what happen to Pogba here.O_O

What happened to Pogba?

Did I miss something or are people still salty that he left Juventus?

Also, why would anyone not want to sign for MU?

Tosyn_88

Honestly, the tabloids and other forms of media like TalkSPORT are basically invalid sources of information to me. They don't exist, and people should really know by now not to pay attention to them.

Collymore is tied with the entire staff of TalkSHITE for worst pundit in the country. The cast of Soccer Saturday are collectively almost as stupid as well.I don't know where this idea that anyone here cares what other people think of the PL comes from. It's the most popular and that's because it's the most entertaining, but that's just my opinion and I believe that the Championship is more interesting than most top European leagues, so take that for what you will.

At this point, everyone should take press articles with a grain of salt. The amount of knee jerk articles I saw this year was staggering. In this year alone, Messi went from awesome to fading to past it to awesome again. Every match is treated like it's a month or a season.

Yeah, the PL is stacked right now. Even moreso if Arsenal get a high level manager next year & retain Sánchez & Özil. Considering Pep's relation with Baristan, I'd expect him to stay until his contract runs out & then see what happens after that.

Also, to be fair to Pep, he did gain promotion in Spain with the Barca B team when they were in shambles before he took over.

Can't see any of that happening so soon, seems locked in that Sanchez is off and Wenger is staying.

Who's on the table to replace Wenger right now anyway? Honestly struggling to think of who's available and at the required level. Asides from Pardiola obviously.

Oh I totally get that with a Man U fans & other rival fans since it's a traditional club rivalry thing. But again, I never saw that sort of hate towards Pellegrini. It'd mainly just be memes about the club's oil money, their players, plastic fans, etc. Just seems like a more personal thing with Pep from what I noticed this time around, could be wrong though.

People in England generally like to see people who are lauded fail, Its why shite like the Daily Mail, The Sun, and The Star are so popular. The mass majority of Football fans from my experience are idiots so creative insults don't exist for the most part and Pep is an easy target, same reason the emptihad is popular as its simple and catchy.

The pundits are a more interesting bunch though, its like they never actually watched any of Peps games unless playing against PL clubs but lauded him at every opportunity. I think Gary Lineker put it well to Ferdinand after the first Monaco game when he was criticising the defence and basically stated this is no different than what Pep did at Bayern/Barca and the reason he wanted Pep at United the only difference is he doesn't have the level of talent at the back as he had at those clubs.

The three names I hear mentioned most are Simeone, Allegri and Tuchel.

Simeone, not happening. Allegri, lol why would he leave Juve? Tuchel... isn't that good really.

I always pictured Simeone heading to Chelsea someday for whatever reason. Yeah Juve seem good right now so no reason to go, and I feel Tuchel still has things to prove with BVB.

Arsenal holding onto Wenger isn't that bad, they can still get top 4 after all, but they need to be aware they're gonna have that transition to go through soon. And that shit is rough.

Syder

I always pictured Simeone heading to Chelsea someday for whatever reason. Yeah Juve seem good right now so no reason to go, and I feel Tuchel still has things to prove with BVB.

Arsenal holding onto Wenger isn't that bad, they can still get top 4 after all, but they need to be aware they're gonna have that transition to go through soon. And that shit is rough.
Yep, pretty much. Simeone's already said he's turned down '35 million reasons' to leave Atléti. Allegri just seems so many levels above the Arsenal job right now.

They had the chance to get Klopp, Mou, Conte, Pep... but they let it slide and now things have gone to shit. I don't think Arsenal will finish in the Top 4 but Wenger is still a very safe pair of hands for finishing there next year, if there's some decent investment.

Yep, pretty much. Simeone's already said he's turned down '35 million reasons' to leave Atléti. Allegri just seems so many levels above the Arsenal job right now.

They had the chance to get Klopp, Mou, Conte, Pep... but they let it slide and now things have gone to shit. I don't think Arsenal will finish in the Top 4 but Wenger is still a very safe pair of hands for finishing there next year, if there's some decent investment.
I disagree with this completely. His tactics and team selection are awful, he can't motivate players and his signings have been terrible.

He also won't make the required signings in the summer too, as it would require him to overhaul half the squad.

People have been saying this for years though and it hasn't stopped him finishing Top 4. He is, at the very least, extremely consistent.
That consistency has ended this year though, and all of the teams around Arsenal are improving, and will continue to do so in the summer.

That's been Arsenal's problem for a while now, Arsenal take 1 step forward whilst everyone else takes 2 or 3. This year that has led to the team finishing outside the top 4.

Syder

That consistency has ended this year though, and all of the teams around Arsenal are improving, and will continue to do so in the summer.

That's been Arsenal's problem for a while now, Arsenal take 1 step forward whilst everyone else takes 2 or 3. This year that has led to the team finishing outside the top 4.
Arsenal aren't going to tank like United did post-Fergie and Chelsea did last season if they keep Wenger though.

They'll be looking to finish somewhere around 4th to 6th.

Arsenal aren't going to tank like United did post-Fergie and Chelsea did last season if they keep Wenger though.

They'll be looking to finish somewhere around 4th to 6th.
How is that not tanking with Wenger in charge lol. This is a club that was challenging for and winning titles just over a decade ago.

Syder

How is that not tanking with Wenger in charge lol. This is a club that was challenging for and winning titles just over a decade ago.
because the difference between the teams in the Top 6 isn't very much. Chelsea & Spurs have been a class apart but City, Liverpool, United, Arsenal could all be considered 'Top 4 quality' at this point.

If you look below Arsenal there's a massive gulf in quality*.
Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U have been below that in recent years; Chelsea finished 10th last year, THAT'S tanking.

*Everton are the best team in the league outside the Top 6, and it's not even close, and they'll probably be better next year if they hold onto Koeman and Lukaku.

because the difference between the teams in the Top 6 isn't very much. Chelsea & Spurs have been a class apart but City, Liverpool, United, Arsenal could all be considered 'Top 4 quality' at this point.

If you look below Arsenal there's a massive gulf in quality*.
Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U have been below that in recent years; Chelsea finished 10th last year, THAT'S tanking.

*Everton are the best team in the league outside the Top 6, and it's not even close, and they'll probably be better next year if they hold onto Koeman and Lukaku.
I completely agree in that it's become tighter at the top, which is ultimately why Arsenal find themselves outside the top 4 this year. Arsenal's problem for a few years now has been taking 1 step forward whilst other teams around them take 2 or 3.

Also though, what have all of those teams done when they haven't performed to expectations? They sacked their managers and brought in someone new. Which is exactly what Arsenal need.

DBT85

Oh I totally get that with a Man U fans & other rival fans since it's a traditional club rivalry thing. But again, I never saw that sort of hate towards Pellegrini. It'd mainly just be memes about the club's oil money, their players, plastic fans, etc. Just seems like a more personal thing with Pep from what I noticed this time around, could be wrong though.

Just like nobody hates Gaal, Moyes, Poch, etc. They are, to the eyes of many, nobodies, they've done nothing. The only people that have any hate for Wenger these days are some Arsenal fans, and even they don't really hate him, they just want him to go so the club can move on. Go back 10-15 years to when Arsenal and Wenger were relevant in the fight for the league and there was plenty of hate for both them and him, his coats and his need to go to specsavers.

Success and the attitude that comes with it breeds hate among rivals. With Fergie as manager I really felt the hate toward United and Fergy, then Moyes took over and we were shit, then Gaal took over and we were slightly less shit. Nobody hated Moyes or Gaal (except maybe United fans at the end lol). United were going nowhere and with managers who'd done nothing of note in the recent past.

Now we have Mou. People already hated him because of his time at Chelsea, now he's managing a club that if they want can spend £150m every summer and its all money they earned, not from some oil barons pocket, we're palying better, getting more chances and honestly if we'd managed to score once in 3 games that we drew (and battered the opposition goal), we'd be fighting for the title. That's breeding hate again, that's how it feels anyway.

Does anyone hate Koeman? Would that change if everton won the league 3 years running while Liverpool dropped to 10th?

Fuck, if United had been bought by an oil baron and they'd just pumped money in I'd be more than fine, I wouldn't give a shit. As it is, Chelsea got bought, City got bought and now both are fighting for things while United pay off some cunts debt and STILL can spend the same or more. So I hate oil barons. The dicks.

Syder

Also though, what have all of those teams done when they haven't performed to expectations? They sacked their managers and brought in someone new. Which is exactly what Arsenal need.
I agree, I just don't think they will, I don't think it's even being thought about by the powers that be at Arsenal. Wenger can still make money for his overlords as long as he's challenging for Top 4 and domestic titles and as long as he is, he's still an asset. Honestly, the unlikely outcome of Arsenal winning the FA Cup could possibly the worst thing to happen to them, in the long term, because it'll just paper over the cracks and Wenger will get another 2 years.

I agree, I just don't think they will, I don't think it's even being thought about by the powers that be at Arsenal. Wenger can still make money for his overlords as long as he's challenging for Top 4 and domestic titles and as long as he is, he's still an asset. Honestly, the unlikely outcome of Arsenal winning the FA Cup could possibly the worst thing to happen to them, in the long term, because it'll just paper over the cracks and Wenger will get another 2 years.
Oh yeah I don't think its ever been in doubt that he would stay. I just disagreed with him being a safe pair of hands for finishing in the top 4 next season. I think he'll have it tougher next year. Unmotivated and poor squad, no Champions League to tempt top players into joining (most of which he wouldn't bother to try and sign anyway) and one of the only top players in the squad wanting to leave.

DBT85

Arsenal always have a war chest available on Football Manager because Wenger never spends it.

Hey they bought that German dude with the eyes that is on the pitch quite often and sometimes even plays. And they bought Rivaldo.

Credit it where its due
they know how to not use any credit.

Audioboxer

1-0 Barça, Neymar

1-0 Swansea, Llorente

Hull right now

mNYzefI.gif

Hate seeing players rise their hands signaling offsides, continuing playing and let the refs do their jobs.

Pique lost a step on Bakambu doing that, which resulted in the goal.

What a day for Swansea, truly hope they stay in the PL. I'd like Palace to get relegated but chances of that are unlikely after Hull's defeat today.

What a day for Swansea, truly hope they stay in the PL. I'd like Palace to get relegated but chances of that are unlikely after Hull's defeat today.

Who knows. Crystal Palace play Hull next weekend and then CP got Man Utd in the last game. Swansea play Sunderland next week.

Other games on the final day:

Hull - Spurs
Swansea - West Brom

Imagine if Liverpool hadn't fucked up against Palace, then they'd be in the shit.

Top Bottom