• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ITjng3l.jpg

let's gooooooooooooooooooooo just 1 more win!

or 2 draws

Reckoner

let's gooooooooooooooooooooo just 1 more win!

or 2 draws

You guys deserve it

The most hilarious thing is that even if Benfica loses the next two matches Porto won't win the league anyway. It's such a joke rn. Hopefully we sack NES and hire a decent manager like Sérgio Conceição.

TimmmV

Don't worry 'pool fans. Aside from a few recent blips, we always shit the bed against you lot.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. As deeply unfashionable as it is, I'll say... COYI.

IDK how true this is and am too lazy to verify it, but it feels like West Ham away is always a really tough game. If it was at home I'd be more confident

Its weird how we are now scared of Arsenal getting 4th again like usual lol, despite how bad it feels they've been this season they could still get it. Would be lovely if Southampton could make them drop some points this week

casiopao

Guess for Juventus to win Serie A, we will need to take down Roma in Rome huh.^^ Well, hope Totti will be ready for that moment lol.^^

Tosyn_88

Guess for Juventus to win Serie A, we will need to take down Roma in Rome huh.^^ Well, hope Totti will be ready for that moment lol.^^

Has there really ever been a challenge from any of the other clubs. Both Milan clubs are going through transition, Napoli lost Papito, Roma haven't been consistent for years now so. It's great for Juventus though, it just seems that the situation is becoming like Bayern in Germany.

casiopao

Has there really ever been a challenge from any of the other clubs. Both Milan clubs are going through transition, Napoli lost Papito, Roma haven't been consistent for years now so. It's great for Juventus though, it just seems that the situation is becoming like Bayern in Germany.

Well last year is supposed to be the year Juventus failed to seize Serie A title after all lol. I mean it is literally the worst opening moment for Juventus due many core player moving away like Pirlo, Vidal, Tevez and Marchisio gettiing injury.

And guess what? All the other team bottled it so hard that Juventus can take the title lol.

And even if Napoli lose Pipita lol., They also receive that 45mil injection by Juventus. It is their own fault there lol. Not being able to find a proper change for that.^^ I do see Napoli is getting stronger every year there so they probably will end up the only team able to face Juventus head on there. Sarri is a great tactical coach after all.^^ Now what they need is a champions mentality and more depth for their bench, then i can see them challenge Juve.^^

Pachimari

Man this is crazy. So yeah, we've paid €40 million for Vinicius Jr but that price tag can increase to €61 million depending on bonuses. He'll join us for pre-season in 2018. I can't see us going for another striker this transfer window, and I surely don't see any of Benzema of Morata leaving.

We are totally gonna play Benzema, Cristiano and Morata in the #9 role and on the left, while they rotate. I can see Morata leaving in 2018 for Vinicius Jr to take over, maybe. But that would leave no reason for Mbappe. Cristiano is getting older though, so.

Man this is crazy. So yeah, we've paid €40 million for Vinicius Jr but that price tag can increase to €61 million depending on bonuses. He'll join us for pre-season in 2018. I can't see us going for another striker this transfer window, and I surely don't see any of Benzema of Morata leaving.

We are totally gonna play Benzema, Cristiano and Morata in the #9 role and on the left, while they rotate. I can see Morata leaving in 2018 for Vinicius Jr to take over, maybe. But that would leave no reason for Mbappe. Cristiano is getting older though, so.

I can see Benzema or Bale leaving in Summer. Morata is one I see being there for longer.

Pachimari

I can see Benzema or Bale leaving in Summer. Morata is one I see being there for longer.

Florentino Perez is crazy about Benzema, and he got the backing of Zidane as well. Bale is basically his "Galactico" signing and he won't sell him to lose face. Neither will leave, I'm sure of it.

And thinking about it, I'm so glad about our current squad, that I really don't want to see anyone leave or any new players come in. The only one I would welcome with open arms would probably be De Gea, but I can't see many players improving our squad.

Anyway, there's a bunch of interesting matches this week I have to watch:

Wednesday
20:45 Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid

Thursday
21:00 Manchester United vs Celta Vigo

Saturday
13:00 Meralco Sparks vs Ilocos United

Sunday
18:00 Albacete vs Real Madrid Castilla
18:00 FC Copenhagen vs Brøndby IF
20:00 Las Palmas vs FC Barcelona
20:00 Real Madrid vs Sevilla

Any other interesting matches for the week? Something in the Portuguese or Dutch league?

DBT85

I suppose if the bonuses get met, he must have done well, similar to the Martial deal with Monaco. If he's done that well then the final price is fine. If not, you got ripped.

Florentino Perez is crazy about Benzema, and he got the backing of Zidane as well. Bale is basically his "Galactico" signing and he won't sell him to lose face. Neither will leave, I'm sure of it.

And thinking about it, I'm so glad about our current squad, that I really don't want to see anyone leave or any new players come in. The only one I would welcome with open arms would probably be De Gea, but I can't see many players improving our squad.

Anyway, there's a bunch of interesting matches this week I have to watch:

Any other interesting matches for the week? Something in the Portuguese or Dutch league?

While not so interesting for neutrals perhaps. Arsenal's game at Southampton on Wednesday, is one that me and fellow Liverpool fans will have a watchful eye on, hoping that Arsenal could drop points.

Beefy

While not so interesting for neutrals perhaps. Arsenal's game at Southampton on Wednesday, is one that me and fellow Liverpool fans will have a watchful eye on, hoping that Arsenal could drop points.

Can't see it unless our players are back from holiday mode

Pachimari

I think they loaned Odegaard to some Dutch club.
We loaned him out to Heerenveen. This is normal practice at Real Madrid. He gets to develop in a more competitive league than la segunda, and we're hoping he gains experience from this little adventure so he can come back ready for the first team. But it might not go that way, time will tell.

DBT85

Puel says Van Djik is staying next season, so place your bests now as to where he goes.
Ballache says United are favs for James, so bet now on whether he gets a new deal or just doesn't move at all.

DBT85

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39843585

Chapecoense have won their first title since most of their team were killed in a plane crash.

Only three of the Brazilian club's players survived November's crash, when 71 of 77 people on board died.

Top clubs from Brazil and Argentina offered to loan players to Chapocense, who signed 25 new players this season and promoted nine from the youth team.

They lifted the Santa Catarina state championship on Sunday for the second straight year, despite losing to Avai.

Tosyn_88

Puel says Van Djik is staying next season, so place your bests now as to where he goes.
Ballache says United are favs for James, so bet now on whether he gets a new deal or just doesn't move at all.

Balague doesn't know jack. James isn't a requirement at Manchester because they don't lack chances, they lack people who can score. I think Madrid and Manchester cannot do any deal this summer without each side loosing major players. Madrid wants de gea and Manchester prob wants more than one player so that deal won't happen

Beefy

Puel didn't say that. He said we don't want to sell him, Sky Sports just twisted it.

Syder

Nothing against Boro but they've been so unadventurous and bland this season, they completely deserve to go straight back down.

I know Liverpool fans will probably disagree with me but even if we get CL football, I see this season as a failure. I believe we should have been challenging Chelsea for the title not struggling to get to get a CL spot. I know people will say but we had a lot of injuries etc etc. Although that is true, all that should have been taken care of in the summer. Instead of penny pinching, we should have also been buying player that would have provided cover in case things like that happened. Also I blame Klopp for letting his pride get in the way. When we were having defensive problems instead of playing Sakho and giving the man to redeem himself, no he sends him on a loan instead. He also sells a player that always seems to give us trouble to a team that also always gives us problems, only for that to come bite us in the ass wen we didn't need it to happen.

I know Liverpool fans will probably disagree with me but even if we get CL football, I see this season as a failure. I believe we should have been challenging Chelsea for the title not struggling to get to get a CL spot. I know people will say but we had a lot of injuries etc etc. Although that is true, all that should have been taken care of in the summer. Instead of penny pinching, we should have also been buying player that would have provided cover in case things like that happened. Also I blame Klopp for letting his pride get in the way. When we were having defensive problems instead of playing Sakho and giving the man to redeem himself, no he sends him on a loan instead. He also sells a player that always seems to give us trouble to a team that also always gives us problems, only for that to come bite us in the ass wen we didn't need it to happen.

Disagree completely. Yes we looked good at the start of the season, but with our luck on injuries and the squad we have, we were not ready for a title challenge. Would you really say our squad beats out the rest of the top 7?

Our problem for years has been buying players that were just 'okay' and them taking up a place instead of pushing us for more. This squad we have now should be our bare minimum- even if it bit us in the ass for now, we need to now start building for replacements, have competition for places, we've seen how that's improved Mig's game. And buying quality means going with Klopp's judgement. Also on Klopp's judgement, if the manager doesn't want Sakho, he doesn't want Sakho. We don't know what was going on behind the scenes, but I imagine Klopp wants his ship ran his way. Yes it's a shame a player as talented as Sakho can't be used by us, but it's his fault for all the shenanigans he got caught up in.

Selling Benteke was both a smart business decision and something that can cost our rivals points as well, it's kinda dumb to think about the game we just lost in that way. We lost because we weren't good enough.

At times we are a team that can play electrifying football. But we haven't seen that consistently, or at all as of late (Firminho and Can bangers aside), but I believe with more training, and some savvy signings, we can start pushing for that. We're not fighting for the league because we aren't good enough. But we're gonna get there. Top 4 will help us do that, and I think it'll be a great achievement.

Syder

Also I blame Klopp for letting his pride get in the way. When we were having defensive problems instead of playing Sakho and giving the man to redeem himself, no he sends him on a loan instead.
Klopp's biggest fuck-up this year, in my view. Also, starting the year with no reliable left-back. Liverpool got seriously lucky that Milner adapted to the position as well as he did.

Liverpool got a reputation in the first third of the season as a team that would roll over lower half teams 4 or 5 - nil. When was the last time Liverpool put in a Liverpool performance? I can't remember it.

One big excuse Klopp has to fall back on is the absence of Sadio Mané. A sturdy defence and Mané available all season and Liverpool may have been pushing Spurs. I still wouldn't call it a 'failure' though.

DBT85

Not sure how 4th or 3rd for Pool can be in any way considered a failure. You don't have the squad depth for much else which was evident come Xmas and January.

The target now has to be to hold on to your best players, strengthen both the main 11 and the whole squad and hope that playing a load more games next year doesn't see your PL position suffer once again.

Icolin

Banned
Any Aussies/A-League fans ITT? My main club, Vancouver Whitecaps, is close to signing Bernie Ibisi from Sydney FC, and I'm wondering if he's any good.

Klopp's biggest fuck-up this year, in my view. Also, starting the year with no reliable left-back. Liverpool got seriously lucky that Milner adapted to the position as well as he did.

Liverpool got a reputation in the first third of the season as a team that would roll over lower half teams 4 or 5 - nil. When was the last time Liverpool put in a Liverpool performance? I can't remember it.

One big excuse Klopp has to fall back on is the absence of Sadio Mané. A sturdy defence and Mané available all season and Liverpool may have been pushing Spurs. I still wouldn't call it a 'failure' though.

Everton on April 1st was probably the last great performance. Prior to that probably Arsenal at home(March something).

Also I wouldn't call this season a failure, but it is disappointing that we couldn't challenge Chelsea and Spurs after the promising start.

Top Bottom