• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

F34R

Hard to wrap around the idea that Arsenal won't be in the Champs League for the first time since 1996. Wow. That's a generation of fans that'll be the first time they'll see it. Kinda feel bad for 'em.

The same time though, I'm excited for my Reds staying in the top 4. I think they can do a lot better next season, but I'll take it for now.

DBT85

Depends on who we sign. Sounds like we're after some good players (Van Dijk, Keita, Salah etc) so I think we'll have a good season tbh.

I know you're the Soton A team but aren't some other clubs in for Van Djik assuming he's even allowed a move?

If any of the top 6 are interested can pool compete on fees and wages?

sammex

I am talking about the round of 32 clubs. Still two games to go, it's qualifier participation not a set place.

I know what you meant but it doesn't change the fact that all qualifying rounds prior to the group stages are still Champions League games. They have the anthem played and the banner waved on the pitch before kick off etc. The teams in qualification also get a share of the prize money. Liverpool will be participants in the 17/18 Champions League.

Woooooo! Happy with the season overall, adversity held us back some but we made it to the end with success. Plus we've scored some right bangers over the season.

Now onto a summer of delicious transfer speculation, and an odd stressless feeling until that CL qualifying round.

MoodyFog

As a United fan: pretty meh season in the league, but I'll be happy if we win the Europa League tbh.

Also LOL @ Arsenal. Absolute joke if they give Wenger a new contract

T-Rex.

Banned
I know you're the Soton A team but aren't some other clubs in for Van Djik assuming he's even allowed a move?

If any of the top 6 are interested can pool compete on fees and wages?
Whether we will or not is a different matter, but we definitely can. Klopp's been talking recently about learning from the mistakes we've made (transfer wise) and by all accounts he'll have a massive budget this summer. Don't forget we barely spent anything last year in terms of net spend, we'll sell quite a few players, the league money is more mental than ever, and we'll have CL funds on top of that.

I don't think we'll spend City/Utd big, but we should have a fair amount. It's just about making the right signings cos I don't think we're too far off from consistently challenging for the league.

DBT85

Whether we will or not is a different matter, but we definitely can. Klopp's been talking recently about learning from the mistakes we've made (transfer wise) and by all accounts he'll have a massive budget this summer. Don't forget we barely spent anything last year in terms of net spend, we'll sell quite a few players, the league money is more mental than ever, and we'll have CL funds on top of that.

I don't think we'll spend City/Utd big, but we should have a fair amount. It's just about making the right signings cos I don't think we're too far off from consistently challenging for the league.

But how much would Van Djik go for? Can you afford to do 50m plus wages?

I think you don't need much to compete for the league if you're not in Europe, but overall squad depth isn't there yet if you're playing any European football. Kloppo has also got to do better with Mane out and a busy January.

Jack cw

I know what you meant but it doesn't change the fact that all qualifying rounds prior to the group stages are still Champions League games. They have the anthem played and the banner waved on the pitch before kick off etc. The teams in qualification also get a share of the prize money. Liverpool will be participants in the 17/18 Champions League.
And yet for half the starters the way leads to Euro League. The range and hight of failure are tremendous, anthem and fancy kit patches aside, those two games needs to be played yet. Especially if the lottery gives us Sevilla or Hoffenheim. Anyway, still a fantastic result for Liverpool, Klopp truly got the maximum out of this average roster.

First time in 20 years Arsenal haven't won a trophy

No top 4 trophy

Yeah, Chelsea will walk all over them next week.

Man Utd better not fuck it up on Wednesday.

Tottenham and Man City to be main contenders next season.

CrayToes

First time in 20 years Arsenal haven't won a trophy

No top 4 trophy

Yeah, Chelsea will walk all over them next week.

Man Utd better not fuck it up on Wednesday.

Tottenham and Man City to be main contenders next season.

I don't fancy Tottenham at Wembley. I can see a title fight between the two Manchester clubs next season.

T-Rex.

Banned
But how much would Van Djik go for? Can you afford to do 50m plus wages?

I think you don't need much to compete for the league if you're not in Europe, but overall squad depth isn't there yet if you're playing any European football. Kloppo has also got to do better with Mane out and a busy January.
The journos that have ties to the club have all said we'll have a budget of £110m+ so hopefully!

Pachimari

Quite the thing seeing Arsenal out of the Top 4. I do hope the club considers replacing Arsene Wenger, not to take anything away from him. Going 19 seasons with straight Top 4's are quite a feat.

What big matches are left for this season? Other than Madrid and Barca matches tonight, the Europa League final and Champions League final?

sammex

And yet for half the starters the way leads to Euro League. The range and hight of failure are tremendous, anthem and fancy kit patches aside, those two games needs to be played yet. Especially if the lottery gives us Sevilla or Hoffenheim. Anyway, still a fantastic result for Liverpool, Klopp truly got the maximum out of this average roster.

We'll be fine. We won't get Sevilla as we're going to be seeded. We should beat whoever especially with Mané back and other possible signings and it being 2 legs.

Teams LFC could face in the qualifier:

Sporting Lisbon, Viktoria Plzen, CSKA Moscow, Club Brugge, Steaua Bucharest, Young Boys, Hoffenheim, Nice, Istanbul Basaksehir or Beşiktaş, runners-up in Greece

Zasa

Done deal?
Hopefully, he shouldn't be playing in the Europa League at this stage in his career considering he only has 2-3 years playing at this level & intensity, imo. He needs league titles & a potential CL winning team, Arsenal just aren't either of those tbh.

Sturridge: "There is nothing to discuss really. I have 2 years left on my deal and I am happy here." #LFC

If he accepts being a squad player. I'm fine by this. But we should realize by now that we cannot rely on him.

I don't fancy Tottenham at Wembley. I can see a title fight between the two Manchester clubs next season.

They'll have to adapt, won't the new stadium have a larger pitch?

Quite the thing seeing Arsenal out of the Top 4. I do hope the club considers replacing Arsene Wenger, not to take anything away from him. Going 19 seasons with straight Top 4's are quite a feat.

What big matches are left for this season? Other than Madrid and Barca matches tonight, the Europa League final and Champions League final?

FA Cup

Perfectly happy for Alexis to go. Deserves to the win things which he won't at Arsenal. Would rather him go to Atletico than Bayern though. Also would like for Ozil to leave.

Hell tbf I'd like half the squad to leave...

Pachimari

Cool! I'll probably be watching that.

It's gonna be interesting watching Atletico Madrid next season. I think they'll do a lot to take care of their attack. Koké will probably be out and then need someone to replace him. And not only that, they will highly likely play four or some of their matches away from home at the start of the season if their new stadium won't be ready by then.

If Costa goes, a lot of money to be spent by us this summer after we didnt spend any of the Oscar money.

Might be time for Alexis to join the ex-Arsenal players winning the league club, I bet Antonio will find a place for him

Sturridge: "There is nothing to discuss really. I have 2 years left on my deal and I am happy here." #LFC

If he accepts being a squad player. I'm fine by this. But we should realize by now that we cannot rely on him.

Danny's always been a hungry player so I get that he'd wanna be the main man somewhere, but I would be super happy if he stayed, he's a good option to have up front some days. Reckon as forwards go the most important thing is buying a speedy counterpart to Mane for rotation and depth.

casiopao

Perfectly happy for Alexis to go. Deserves to the win things which he won't at Arsenal. Would rather him go to Atletico than Bayern though. Also would like for Ozil to leave.

Hell tbf I'd like half the squad to leave...

Please Alexis go to Bayern ASAP so Juve can get Douglas Costa next season.^^

PowerTaxi

Banned
3LcsmXQr.jpg

Some people just like to waste money...

Bad match today from Crystal Palace, but considering the uphill battle we put us in, 14th place and victories over Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool must be something that we can be okay with.

But I long for a season where we're descent over both halfs of it, and skip this part we're we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Rush_Khan

Man, it's sad not being in the Champion's League. First time I've seen this in my life. Hope we don't waste our time in the Europa League like we do in the Champion's League. Stay behind the manager in the good times and bad. Bring on the final (we are screwed without Kos and and Sanchez) and bring on next season!

Top Bottom