• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

panty

I love our current squad except for Danilo. He is the worst top-flight rb in Europe. Fucking terrible.

Carvajal on the other hand is one of the best.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Saints need to get rid of Puel now. Terrible end to an already dire season. Anyone saying "yeah but they finished 8th" is a mug, they finished 6 points off the relegation. The gap between the top teams and the rest was enormous this year.

rant over.

Beefy

Saints need to get rid of Puel now. Terrible end to an already dire season. Anyone saying "yeah but they finished 8th" is a mug. They finished 6 points off the relegation. The gap between the top teams and the rest was enormous this year.

He's gone

DBT85

Saints need to get rid of Puel now. Terrible end to an already dire season. Anyone saying "yeah but they finished 8th" is a mug, they finished 6 points off the relegation. The gap between the top teams and the rest was enormous this year.

rant over.

Fuck me I've only just seen the table. 6 points between 8th and 17th.

15 points between 7th and 8th,

Wenger on transfers: "We want to keep the team together & find one or two more players who strengthen the team. But we dont need a lot"
Wenger: "Its frustrating [to miss out on top 4]. It was down to one point in the end. The total is decent if you look at it over the years"
Wenger: "This group of players is good enough to come back. They have gone through a difficult period & bounced back in a very strong way"
Wenger: "I'm convinced this group will win the league next year or [in the future]. If you keep them together they'll be a force next year"
giphy.gif

I hope he is ready to face even more backlash next season.

Pachimari

Keylor Navas has had some good last games this season. Kudos to the guy.

Also, I'm so tired of Wenger, I feel for the Gunners fans.

Huge chance to Benz!

Pachimari

Danilo is the fucking worst, I wish Zidane would play Nacho as RB instead.

Hopefully he gets the spot for the Champions League final if Dani isn't ready. The guy's deserved it.

I'm also super excited to see all of Atletico, Sevilla, Villarreal, Malaga and Celta play next season.

Also, Pique missed the Barca match because of some virus.

Man Utd has really regressed ALOT since Fergie left. Is there too much rut in that club or what is the huge problem really?

Finishing 5th last season with Van Gaal (a very accomplished manager) and 6th this season with Mourinho and very expensive signing and is it the most expensive squad in football? That is just lol from a neutral viewer.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck me I've only just seen the table. 6 points between 8th and 17th.

15 points between 7th and 8th,

Yeah it's bad which is why you will only see people mention 8th not the points. West Brom for example were on 40 points in Feb and finished 10th on 45. I mean any of the teams outside the top 7 could've been relegated this season it was all shit.

Edit: Saints scored 2 goals in their final 6 games. Kane scored more than that before half time.

DBT85

Yeah it's bad which is why you will only see people mention 8th not the points. West Brom for example were on 40 points in Feb and finished 10th on 45. I mean any of the teams outside the top 7 could've been relegated this season it was all shit.

yeah, West Broms performance has been dire since they got 40 points. Weird season.

DBT85

Too bad Spurs didnt win imo. They 'deserved' a league win after 2 good seasons and improving after last pretty good one.

While I would have preffered them to win over Chelsea, you get what you deserve, and you deserve what you earn. They are close, very close. The key is keeping the key players and improving the squad and not losing Poch.

Chelsea will be a different prospect next season with transfers in and out and CL to play.

Syder

Finishing one place outside the top half and on the same points as West Brom when they spent the entire season above us and were much more solid than us isn't too shabby considering just 2 months ago we were still relegation candidates. Not good enough at many times this season but I'd have taken staying up under any circumstances as we settle into the new stadium. Staying in the Premier League as we sort out the Olympic Stadium is imperative and should be our priority at all times. Despite being having it's problems and feeling a bit cobbled together, we still create far better atmospheres there than similar stadiums have; Emirates, Wembley, Etihad, etc.

I think we were the side to lose the most points from winning positions this season. Some results early on stick out as pure relegation form (losing 4-2 at home to Watford after being 2 up, losing 4-2 away at West Brom). We usually turn up against big teams (like the Spurs game) but regularly this season we folded against them (5-1 at home to Arsenal, conceding 9 goals in 2 games against City at the start of the year).

Our biggest problem this year was not buying a single player for the first XI in the Summer. Look at our transfers, it was just adding depth (which I appreciate) and some crappy loanees. However, people took notice of our playstyle and players last year and without strengthening meant a lot of teams had our number. Obviously, the Payet debacle didn't help and I'm fairly confident if we invest sensibly in the Summer we can have a solid, drama-free season next year. Also, we were absolutely dogged by injuries. I actually think Simone Zaza could've come good for us if he'd been playing off of Andy Carroll.

Slaven Bilić absolutely deserves another season because he's shown us how good things can be when things flow correctly. He operated very smoothly in interviews during a rocky year. He's far from being a perfect manager and I don't think he's the finished product yet, his persistence with playing Michail Antonio at RB was bizarre when Byram & Arbeloa are right there, but he's passionate, likable and improving.

The board must back Bilić in the transfer market 100%. We still need a right-back, strengthening in the centre-back positions and central midfield, and we absolutely need to sort out our striking option; I'd sell Sakho and/or Carroll and get Iheanacho in a heartbeat.

5qJQRGm.gif

Top Bottom