• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Going with these to advance:

PSG
Arsenal

Benfica
Napoli

Barcelona
Manchester City

Bayern Munich
Atlético Madrid

Bayer Leverkusen
Tottenham

Real Madrid
Borussia Dortmund

Porto
Leicester City

Juventus
Sevilla

la_briola

A) Paris, Arsenal
B) Napoli, Benfica
C) Barcam Gladbach
D) Bayern Atletico

E) Leverkusen, Monaco
F) Madrid, Dortmund
G) Porto, Leicester
H) Juventus, Sevilla

Mark my words.

Going with these to advance:

PSG
Arsenal

Benfica
Napoli

Barcelona
Manchester City

Bayern Munich
Atlético Madrid

Bayer Leverkusen
Tottenham

Real Madrid
Borussia Dortmund

Porto
Leicester City

Juventus
Sevilla

Pretty much the top two seeds in every group, such a bold prediction!

Decent draw for pretty much every English team.

Is there a bad draw? Looking at the roster, it seems that only Tottenham and Monaco could have been a difficult draw for the top 2 teams and they got a little bit lucky. Imagine a group with Real, Dortmund, Tottenham and Monaco :D

Seeing the Spanish teams, I would assume that Sevilla want to be third so they can win their own tournament again. But seriously, Lyon should be doable.

Floody

PSG, Arsenal
Benfica, Napoli
Barca, City
Bayern, Atletico
Spurs, Leverkusen
Real, Dortmund
Porto, Brügge
Juve, Sevilla

Is my guess.

Pretty much the top two seeds in every group, such a bold prediction!

That's a problem with the CL imo. It's just so predictable. Top teams can go through with almost no effort.
I live in Belgium, so I'm glad that Club Brugge is in the CL, but let's be honest, they aren't adding much. (And they also got the most boring top teams in their group...)

Floody

Is there a bad draw? Looking at the roster, it seems that only Tottenham and Monaco could have been a difficult draw for the top 2 teams and they got a little bit lucky. Imagine a group with Real, Dortmund, Tottenham and Monaco :D

Seeing the Spanish teams, I would assume that Sevilla want to be third so they can win their own tournament again. But seriously, Lyon should be doable.

City have a really tough group, should be able to see it out though and get through. Spurs probably have the most even group, none of them are significantly better than the other, so can see that being close at least, should probably be good enough to get through though.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
so are the teams in the group stage the ones who are seeded?

Yeah mate

People who finish 1st in their league are top seeded so they get selected first and get the face "easier" teams, then pot 2, 3 and then 4 are selected.

Shit teams are in pot 4, like Celtic.

Why do you guys think that Leicester isn't going through?

Copenhagen has many financial troubles (if I remember correctly because they played against some Belgiums teams not so long ago).
Club Brugge began very poorly in their first few matches and are just not as good as you might think. One of their best players is injured for months and their squad is good for Belgium, but that's it.

Leicester will easily get above those teams. Mahrez alone is worth more than Club Brugge.

Floody

Copenhagen has many financial troubles (if I remember correctly because they played against some Belgiums teams not so long ago).
Club Brugge began very poorly in their first few matches and are just not as good as you might think. One of their best players is injured for months and their squad is good for Belgium, but that's it.

Leicester will easily get above those teams. Mahrez alone is worth more than Club Brugge.

No Kante, no party. Can also see them thinking they'll walk it and be overconfident. Though they always prove me wrong, so this time will probably be no different.

Lashley

David Ornstein
@bbcsport_david
Arsenal close to agreeing deal to sign Valencia centre-back Shkodran Mustafi. #AFC will pay fee in excess of £35m for Germany international

PLEASE

Lashley

David Ornstein @bbcsport_david
Arsenal have beaten Everton to signing of Deportivo La Coruna striker Lucas Perez. Deal agreed, #AFC meeting €20m release clause, 17.1m #EFC

gEqVo7D.gif

Valencia :(

And Paco also wants to leave to Barcelona.
Their 2 best remaining players.

Makes you wonder why no one bought Gaya yet.

I also don't know the coach they have and Peter Lim seems done with investing. (And their 'new' huge stadium that has been half build for like 8 years or so is also not getting new news.)

David Ornstein @bbcsport_david
Arsenal have beaten Everton to signing of Deportivo La Coruna striker Lucas Perez. Deal agreed, #AFC meeting €20m release clause, 17.1m #EFC

I know the transfer market is exploded etc, but come on.

It's good for Deportivo though, with all their financial troubles.

Portugeezer

I'm joking, I think they will go through. They should do well in a group with Brugge and Copenhagen, but just because they won the league doesn't mean I will over value them too much.

Wow Hart just became third choice at city. Lot of EPL clubs should be willing to sign him, still good quality.

Liverpool should definitely get in line, he is way better than mignolet.

Well damn, Arsenal are finally getting things sorted it seems.Mostly just excited that we're actually getting a striker, even if I hadn't heard of him before now ha ha.

Reckon he's just another Dani Güiza?

Very difficult to say. It's football after all and I have been wrong many many times, but I don't see him as the next big thing for Arsenal. He's also quite 'old' (26 I think) and I doubt he's good enough for the physical play in the premier league.

Edit: certainly not 20 million good imo. I don't understand this transfer at all, Arsenal has the money so why don't they buy a big talented striker? City bought Gabriel Jesus for like 35 million, I can be mistaken, but why isn't Arsenal bidding for such a player? They should have money enough and G. Jesus could easily play in the first team (I really dislike Giroud :D ).

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Wow Hart just became third choice at city. Lot of EPL clubs should be willing to sign him, still good quality.

He's had his ballsed washed for so long he probably thinks he's better than most of the teams that would buy him.

Liverpool just signed a great keeper. Tons of experience - won the Premier League with Arsenal and Serie A with Juventus.

They also signed some German dude. He's young though, so I doubt he'll get a game ahead of Alex 'The Austrian Wall' Manninger.

BigBoss

I'm not so sure, I don't see a lot of teams going after Hart when you consider the wages you'd have to pay.

Floody

Rather just see how Karius does, could regret it, as Hart is definitely better than Migs, but if Karius is good we'd have saved millions in transfer fees and wages and have a much younger keeper.

Floody

...and will he want to go to a team that isn't challenging for something? I can see him going abroad.

How many teams that can afford his wages would want him abroad? Most of them probably have a much better keeper already. Everton was probably his best bet, but apparently, they don't want him anymore.

Beefy

✔ @JWTelegraph
Arsenal have had bids accepted today for Mustafi (£35m) as well as Perez (£17m). Total spending on fees this window is now close to £100m

Syder

How many teams that can afford his wages would want him abroad? Most of them probably have a much better keeper already. Everton was probably his best bet, but apparently, they don't want him anymore.
Weren't there rumours about Roma, Sevilla and Dortmund?

Beefy

✔ @JWTelegraph
As long as no late hitches on Mustafi/Lucas, that should be it for ins at Arsenal but could be some interesting outs still

Lunar FC

Liverpool just signed a great keeper. Tons of experience - won the Premier League with Arsenal and Serie A with Juventus.

They also signed some German dude. He's young though, so I doubt he'll get a game ahead of Alex 'The Austrian Wall' Manninger.

You mean the 40 year old?

And that German dude is probably our number 1.

Top Bottom