• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Syder

Sad reality is that dropping out of the EL means we finish 3 or more places higher in the league than we would have done. It's a competition that we have to play 4 games just to qualify for the group stage and a bunch of Champions League teams get thrown into halfway through. People will take the piss for a bit but all I care about is the league and doing well in the FA Cup. Screw the League Cup and Europa League.

Wow Hart just became third choice at city. Lot of EPL clubs should be willing to sign him, still good quality.

He is good quality who would work well at many sides but City have built themselves a bit of a problem with the long contracts and high pay. Very few teams can pay the amount and one of those that can is a direct rival and the others have just as good if not better keepers, it isn't just Hart it is a lot of players and a few of them are getting on where they aren't going to get better pay towards the end of their playing career. After last nights display, specifically from Yaya, Fernando, Navas, and Cliché it is clear they can not play the style of football but it looks like they are staying, then there are players like Bony and Nasri that are clearly not part of the plans either and they don't seem to be going anywhere either.

Floody

Sad reality is that dropping out of the EL means we finish 3 or more places higher in the league than we would have done. It's a competition that we have to play 4 games just to qualify for the group stage and a bunch of Champions League teams get thrown into halfway through. People will take the piss for a bit but all I care about is the league and doing well in the FA Cup. Screw the League Cup and Europa League.

Yeah, it's a really brutal competition, it's what really fucked us up last season as we were playing like every 2-3 days towards the end, so had to field a much weaker team for the Prem, kinda wish we didn't go so far after seeing how close 4th-8th was
and us getting smashed in the second half by Sevilla.

la_briola

Liverpool just signed a great keeper. Tons of experience - won the Premier League with Arsenal and Serie A with Juventus.

They also signed some German dude. He's young though, so I doubt he'll get a game ahead of Alex 'The Austrian Wall' Manninger.

Karius is way better than Manninger.

Ignore people who don't know what they are talking about, Lucas Perez is a really great player. You are in for a treat, Arsenal fans.

I've seen him play enough times I think, to estimate how good he is. You have to consider a few things, La Liga defending especially in the lower tier teams is just atrocious, making some goals with Deportivo doesn't make you a world class striker.
Giroud isn't good enough for Arsenal, but you really think Perez is that much better? I must see it against 2 big and hardass defenders, he's going to face in literally every match.
20 million for such a player is just crazy imo. As I said before, he can become very good, I've seen stranger things in football, but I wouldn't count on it. At 27 years old, can he really become that much better?

Palace's owner Steve Parish about Wilfried Zaha right now:

"No chance of Wilf leaving in this window. 100% guaranteed. Spurs offered £12m."
"Wilf is a massive part of what we want to do."
"It's not right what happens. Players get heads turned."
"That puts the lad in a quandary. I accept that. But it's not right for the club right now. It's not going to happen."
"What I don't understand is why, one week before the end of the window, there was a bid on a whim. They have had two or three months to get their strategy right. What plan do we have in place of that?"
[..]
"It doesn't matter what they bid, what they do, I'm not selling Zaha."

Jarnet87

Never seen Lucas Perez so wondering what he can give Arsenal. Is he going to be their guy to start on the right of the 3, will he be a player who can come in as a sub to chase goals or swap for Giroud, possibly even challenge Giroud for the lone spot

I've seen him play enough times I think, to estimate how good he is. You have to consider a few things, La Liga defending especially in the lower tier teams is just atrocious, making some goals with Deportivo doesn't make you a world class striker.
Giroud isn't good enough for Arsenal, but you really think Perez is that much better? I must see it against 2 big and hardass defenders, he's going to face in literally every match.
20 million for such a player is just crazy imo. As I said before, he can become very good, I've seen stranger things in football, but I wouldn't count on it. At 27 years old, can he really become that much better?

I'm sure you have watched him two times against Real, two times against Barça and (maybe) two times against Atletico. I watched him every weekend. Anyways, you don't seem to know much about the guy. You say that he can't become much better because he is 27... what more do you expect from a guy that only started playing as a forward last year? Previously he played mainly as a winger, that's why his records are not that great.

BTW, he is not only better than Giroud (not something hard actually), I would say he is better than Vardy.

nitewulf

well he is faster than Giroud, and judging by youtube clips (LOL) he has good finishing skills in front of goal at least. that's all i need to know.

welcome to arsenal lad, and do well.

Mustafi is a great signing I think.

Danchi

well he is faster than Giroud, and judging by youtube clips (LOL) he has good finishing skills in front of goal at least. that's all i need to know.

In the YouTube video I watched, he scored with EVERY SINGLE shot he took. That must be some kind of record?

bjaelke

The top 4 European leagues (currently England, Spain, Italy and Germany) will automatically get 4 CL spots from 18/19 UEFA has confirmed.

Jack cw

tumblr_neoy37Ti0I1qcaxkno1_500.gif

So Belgium got Martinez as head coach and they revealed a few minutes ago that f-ing Thierry Henry will be an assistant.

Very strange, because Belgium has a very limited budget and they probably spend it all on Martinez.
Don't understand this one bit, like if Henry couldn't get an assistant job at France or England if he really wanted.

Edit: apparently he needs some experience for getting his training license and Arsenal wanted him to quit his job at Sky.
Overall a good deal it seems, Belgium gets a cheap assistant and Henry gets his experience with (mostly) top players.

The top 4 European leagues (currently England, Spain, Italy and Germany) will automatically get 4 CL spots from 18/19 UEFA has confirmed.

Yeah, the top teams forced Uefa to do this and they are even planning the next big change already...
And not surprising that it involves Chinese investors. They already said that the CL could make way more money if they played in China or even against some Chinese teams.
At that point what's the need for Uefa.

This reform makes that Belgium teams almost never are going to make it in the CL again, or we have to get very lucky with the draw.
Like I said, I understand why Uefa does this, but still, if you are a team from a big competition and can't get past the early stages before the real tournament, I don't think you deserve it to be in it.

Overall a good deal it seems, Belgium gets a cheap assistant and Henry gets his experience with (mostly) top players.

I'm sure Belgium could've got someone with some experience (even if only within the Belgian league) for the wages they'll be paying Henry. I'd be horrified if I was a Belgium fan - golden generation well and truly wasted.

I'm sure Belgium could've got someone with some experience (even if only within the Belgian league) for the wages they'll be paying Henry. I'd be horrified if I was a Belgium fan - golden generation well and truly wasted.

I think that Henry gets almost no money honestly. Belgium will never ever go over budged and Martinez gets a million a year, so I would assume that Henry will get a small fraction of that.
Is Henry that bad as an assistant/coach? I never seen him as an analyst or something.
And also, I always find it weird if analysts have other jobs, how can Henry now criticize Hazard or Debruyne or Dembele?

I think that Henry gets almost no money honestly. Belgium will never ever go over budged and Martinez gets a million a year, so I would assume that Henry will get a small fraction of that.
Is Henry that bad as an assistant/coach? I never seen him as an analyst or something.
And also, I always find it weird if analysts have other jobs, how can Henry now criticize Hazard or Debruyne or Dembele?

He was effectively snubbed by Wenger for not being dedicated enough (not dropping his Sky gig), and that was for an U18s role. He has no coaching experience at any senior level at all. How are the players supposed to respect his input, when he has no experience and publicly criticises them week-in, week-out?

la_briola

Ornstein: Arsenal agree £35m deal with Valencia for Mustafi. Will fly to London for medical, seal terms on 5yr contract. Perez medical also today #AFC

40million Euro. Holy shit, but its EPL, so whatever.

Ornstein: Arsenal agree £35m deal with Valencia for Mustafi. Will fly to London for medical, seal terms on 5yr contract. Perez medical also today #AFC

40million Euro. Holy shit, but its EPL, so whatever.

John Stones was ~£50m, so it sounds about right. Should cover Arsenal's defensive issues for a few seasons.

I've seen Joao Mario play since he was a little boy (12-13 years). Always with a beautiful pose. A magical touch. A class act all around. Feels very weird seeing him depart. It's only natural though. Wish him nothing but the best. He should go to a team that is able to compete at a much higher level than Inter is doing right now, but money is money. Hope they get their act together.

Cappa

Banned
I'm sure you have watched him two times against Real, two times against Barça and (maybe) two times against Atletico. I watched him every weekend. Anyways, you don't seem to know much about the guy. You say that he can't become much better because he is 27... what more do you expect from a guy that only started playing as a forward last year? Previously he played mainly as a winger, that's why his records are not that great.

BTW, he is not only better than Giroud (not something hard actually), I would say he is better than Vardy.
wow how did i missthis one.

I've watched him plenty he's a late bloomer. He had a fantastic season but to say he's better than vardy or giroud having done nothing really in epl yet is ridiculous.

He was forced to play as a forward because he was on his way out of football for how poorly he played on his previous teams. Good for him for landing that contract but he will be back in spain in no time. He's Iago aspas Liverpool all over again.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Inter signing Joao Mario and Gabriel Barbosa.

Poor Zaha, not in the right frame of mind to play the weekend. :(

Gabigol is signed but we still don't know if he'll go back to Brasil till Januay. Joao Mario just landed at Malpensa, hopefully everything goes smooth. Not that new signings will especially matter with Frank DeLOL... now watch us fuck up in that Europa L round

Top Bottom