• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Beefy

Marcos Alonso close to joining Chelsea for £23m. Still think the guy shouldn't be playing football.

Adrien Silva joining Leicester for £21m.

Okaka signing for Watford.

Carbonox

Atsu AND McManaman to Newcastle? Rafa pls. They both stink.

I wouldn't drop even Gouffran for them (legitimately, Gouffran's been one of our best players this season).

NHale

Slimani and Adrien going to Leicester according to Portuguese press. It seems Sporting have now accepted to sell Slimani but they now want €40M and not the €30M that was rumored. In the end with them signing Das Bost it's a done deal they will end up selling Slimani. Some say WBA and Arsenal are still in the mix but most Sporting sources say he chose Leicester.

Adrien Silva will cost €25M, so in the end will probably be around €60M for both players. Vardy and Slimani will end up being a very good partnership I believe. Can Musa play as the right winger? He always seemed like the sub for Vardy leaving.

Cairnsay

Banned
Atsu AND McManaman to Newcastle? Rafa pls. They both stink.

I wouldn't drop even Gouffran for them (legitimately, Gouffran's been one of our best players this season).

It's either going to be a really busy deadline day in terms of departures, or Rafa has decided a HUGE squad is what we need. Only thing that worries me is how some of these players would do in the Premiership if (hopefully when) we get promoted.

Guys like Ritchie, Diame, Hayden, and Gamez will be able to step up without any issues. The rest of the new signings, I am not as sure.

Pachimari

Can someone update me on what Barcelona have been doing this transfer window? Who did they get in and who did they kick out?

I know Dani Alves went to Juventus, and Vermaelen went to Roma (?).

Atomic Odin

Nearly all turds flushed. Balotelli still there though.

Yeah almost! Wisdom apparently is also close to a move to Celtic& Illori was linked to a club whose name I do not remember. Balotelli is going to be a tough one, will probably have to pay more than half his wages. Was it Nice's president who was asking for his number in a press conference? :D

Cq91BdNXgAALkyc.jpg

"Greetings to the 4 Sky viewers" - seriously doubt they had that much.

Floody

I'd love it if Henderson is made England captain, the meltdown from the fans would be amazing.

Probably making space for Pulisic ;(

As much as I'd like us to sign Pulisic, that £11m offer was never going to even make Dortmund think about it, so I doubt we will even try again this window, probably just throwing it out there to see if Pulisic is interested more than anything.

Next Window I can see us going all out and spending stupid money on him though.

Syder

Can someone update me on what Barcelona have been doing this transfer window? Who did they get in and who did they kick out?

I know Dani Alves went to Juventus, and Vermaelen went to Roma (?).
Players Out
Sandro Ramírez - Málaga - End of contract
Dani Alves - Juventus - End of contract
Marc Bartra - Dortmund - €8M
Alen Halilović - Hamburg - €5M
Adriano - Beşiktaş - €0.6M
Martín Montoya - Valencia - Contract termination
Alex Song - Rubin Kazan - Contract termination
Thomas Vermaelen - Roma - Loan
Cristian Tello - Fiorentina - Loan
Claudio Bravo - Man City - €18M+€2M
Sergi Samper - Granada - Loan
Douglas - Sporting Gijón - Loan
Munir - Valencia CF - Loan

Players In
Denis Suárez - Villarreal - [Buyback clause] €3.25M
Samuel Umtiti - Lyon - €25M
Lucas Digne - PSG - €16.5M+€4M
André Gomes - Valencia - €35M+€20M
Jasper Cillessen - Ajax - €13M+€2M
Paco Alcácer - Valencia - €30M+€2M

Net: Decrease -€61.15 million / -£52.17 million

The best window Barca have had in years, in my opinion.

Floody

Been thinking about the Henderson as England captain rumours and honestly can't actually think of a better long-term captain at the moment, outside of Smalling maybe? I think if he does give it the Henderson it's because he doesn't think Rooney or Cahill will be viable for the next World Cup, which I'm more than fine with.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Been thinking about the Henderson as England captain rumours and honestly can't actually think of a better long-term captain at the moment, outside of Smalling maybe? I think if he does give it the Henderson it's because he doesn't think Rooney or Cahill will be viable for the next World Cup, which I'm more than fine with.

looking at the players picked i'd probably go with Kane. He had a bad world cup but he's still young and definitely an England player for the foreseeable future. Plus he's a club captain.

Floody

looking at the players picked i'd probably go with Kane. He had a bad world cup but he's still young and definitely an England player for the foreseeable future. Plus he's a club captain.

So is Henderson, though was pretty much injured all last season, so it's easy to forget, he was also the England U21's captain too. Kane could work though, especially if he captains Spurs more before the next WC.

Should just give captaincy to the most capped player until he's had enough time to figure out who is even in his long-term plans

Not like there are any outstanding candidates. Henderson was much better against Spurs than he has been for a while (in a position that isn't his really) but there's a long way to go before he's back to his 13/14 standard, which is what it should take for him to be in England's first 11 I think.

Worry that he'll not get near that level for as long as he's suffering from this plantular fasciitis, and I think there's a decent chance that that'll be a career-long issue. Even if he can play through it, its clearly been massively effecting his ability to run, which is like 60% of his game :p

Marcos Alonso close to joining Chelsea for £23m. Still think the guy shouldn't be playing football.

Adrien Silva joining Leicester for £21m.

Okaka signing for Watford.

I'm pretty sure they didn't even scout him. Everyone at Anderlecht hated him :D
That's the good thing about England having crazy money, you can offload your bad signings and even make a profit.

NHale

Wilshere available for loan. Wenger creating the space to make that €60M offer for Isco.

Seriously don't understand going to Torino for Hart. Stay in the Premier League and keep yourself relevant at least. Going for a mid table team in the Calcio is worse than going to Sunderland. At least at Sunderland if he had a good season, he could create some of his lost reputation. At Torino nobody will care.

tim.mbp

Turan - Alcácer - Munir
Rafinha - Gomes - Suárez
Digne - Umtiti - Mathieu - Vidal
Cillessen

Pretty impressive team made from their squad.

Blackhead

Redarse
Looks like Balotelli is off to Nice, and Wisdom if being loaned out again, I think that's all the
dead weight gone now.

Balotelli source (Paul Joyce) http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...i-Ligue-1-Mino-Raiola-Danny-Ings-Luis-Alberto
Wisdom source (James Pearce) https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/770374343440433153

I honestly completely forgot that Balotelli was still a Liverpool player. His agent couldn't find any Premiership or Chinese club to pay his wages?! goddamn he's only 26

literally anyone would've been better. England needed a fresh start.

Whether you want to believe it or not. Rooney is still England's most consistent and best player for the last 3-4 years. He's the reason why England qualify for these cup competitions where he stinks it up and the whole squad embarrass themselves.

Blackhead

Redarse
Except there is...

Not one of those are automatic starters. It'd be the same situation with Rooney or you'd have a different captain every game as rotating based on form lol. Might as well give the band to Sterling as he's probably the only person guaranteed for club and country.

Give it to Baines

Syder

Not one of those are automatic starters. It'd be the same situation with Rooney or you'd have a different captain every game as rotating based on form lol. Might as well give the band to Sterling as he's probably the only person guaranteed for club and country.
Eric Dier isn't a guaranteed starter? He should be.

Tosyn_88

Eric Dier isn't a guaranteed starter? He should be.

One of thing people don't seem to understand is that consistency is what makes people notice a player. It doesn't matter if said player had a good run of form or has some outstanding matches, the coach wants complete consistency, it's what determines quality. It's why you find coaches choose a player who isn't hot but very consistent over a player who is unplayable on his day but his very inconsistent

Syder

One of thing people don't seem to understand is that consistency is what makes people notice a player. It doesn't matter if said player had a good run of form or has some outstanding matches, the coach wants complete consistency, it's what determines quality. It's why you find coaches choose a player who isn't hot but very consistent over a player who is unplayable on his day but his very inconsistent
and Dier doesn't fall in the consistent category? He made 37 league apps for Spurs last season and was one of their best players, he was one of the better performers at the EUROs and he's the best English defensive midfielder. He's only 22 and is only going to get better and already seems like a consummate professional. Perfect long-term captain potential, if you ask me.

Blackhead

Redarse
and Dier doesn't fall in the consistent category? He made 37 league apps for Spurs last season and was one of their best players, he was one of the better performers at the EUROs and he's the best English defensive midfielder. He's only 22 and is only going to get better and already seems like a consummate professional. Perfect long-term captain potential, if you ask me.

Right now he's not so consistently world class that dips in form won't let another of those midfielders get a game or two ahead of him. He could have a few 'average' weeks, Noble/Drinkwater would have a few brilliant weeks, and they would just be ahead of Dier for the next international break.

I do agree that long-term he is captain material though. But first he needs to consistently run a midfield (and also be soo good that Poch doesn't keep pushing him to other positions)

Tosyn_88

No he doesn't fall into this category. He's improved a lot since joining spurs but he has a long way to go still. Perhaps Rooney isn't the same as when he were younger but he has retained a consistent ratio compared to all the other names mentioned. If you think Dier should be captain over Rooney, then there's nothing to be said here

Syder

No he doesn't fall into this category. He's improved a lot since joining spurs but he has a long way to go still. Perhaps Rooney isn't the same as when he were younger but he has retained a consistent ratio compared to all the other names mentioned. If you think Dier should be captain over Rooney, then there's nothing to be said here
What does this even mean, most England supporters don't want Rooney anywhere near the team let alone captaining it. The idea that Rooney shouldn't be England captain isn't a new one.

spidye

Looks like Bayern bought Serge Gnarby and he will be immediately loaned out to Werder Bremen for a year.

Nothing official, though.

Whether you want to believe it or not. Rooney is still England's most consistent and best player for the last 3-4 years. He's the reason why England qualify for these cup competitions where he stinks it up and the whole squad embarrass themselves.

Absolute tosh. Rooney has routinely been the worst player on the pitch for England, and barely contributed to England's Euro 2016 qualification at all. He is a burden, and should have retired already. I know you'll bring up the goal tally, so look at how those goals were scored (extremely weak teams / penalties). He's stayed in the side at the expense of one of Vardy or Kane while both were in the form of their lives. At the Euros, we had am exciting pay Owen-like - Marcus Rashford. He rotted on the bench while Captain Wazza heroically led us to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Iceland. A country with the population of Coventry.

Give the captaincy to Jordan Henderson over Rooney. Hell, give it to a 22-year old. Can't be worse. Rooney is such an embarrassment. Owen had been carted off long before this stage, and the alternatives we had at that time weren't even average. Don't talk shite about Rooney being our best player, when Kane and Vardy can't even start every match, because captain Wazza must play in all of them. Also, Hart has been better for England over that time period.

Well before the Euros, I wanted the England setup to discard the last remnants of the failed golden generation ie.Rooney.

Now, even when that happens (disheartening that it hasn't already), the entire squad will still be tainted by that Iceland match, and I'll probably want that lot fucked off entirely come 2020.

Its just cycles of fresh starts, failures and endlessly deluding ourselves that we're building an exciting team for the future.

Top Bottom