• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Pachimari

Players Out
Sandro Ramírez - Málaga - End of contract
Dani Alves - Juventus - End of contract
Marc Bartra - Dortmund - €8M
Alen Halilović - Hamburg - €5M
Adriano - Beşiktaş - €0.6M
Martín Montoya - Valencia - Contract termination
Alex Song - Rubin Kazan - Contract termination
Thomas Vermaelen - Roma - Loan
Cristian Tello - Fiorentina - Loan
Claudio Bravo - Man City - €18M+€2M
Sergi Samper - Granada - Loan
Douglas - Sporting Gijón - Loan
Munir - Valencia CF - Loan

Players In
Denis Suárez - Villarreal - [Buyback clause] €3.25M
Samuel Umtiti - Lyon - €25M
Lucas Digne - PSG - €16.5M+€4M
André Gomes - Valencia - €35M+€20M
Jasper Cillessen - Ajax - €13M+€2M
Paco Alcácer - Valencia - €30M+€2M

Net: Decrease -€61.15 million / -£52.17 million

The best window Barca have had in years, in my opinion.
Wow at this. Why did they sell Claudio Bravo, their first goalkeeper? I assume for the damn good price. So Ter Stegen will be their preferred goalkeeper going forward? And man, I don't know who Alcacer, Colleen and Umtiti are. Never heard of them. And they bought Digne from PSG? The right back, right? What an interesting window for them.

spidye

Wow at this. Why did they sell Claudio Bravo, their first goalkeeper? I assume for the damn good price. So Ter Stegen will be their preferred goalkeeper going forward? And man, I don't know who Alcacer, Colleen and Umtiti are. Never heard of them. And they bought Digne from PSG? The right back, right? What an interesting window for them.
Umiti was france's best CB at the Euros. They got some great talents and let some deadweight go. A very good transfer window for them, IMO

Pachimari

So they're line-up will be something like this

Ter Stegen

Digne - Pique - Umtiti - Alba

Rakitic - Busquets - Iniesta

Messi - Suarez - Neymar

Tosyn_88

Absolute tosh. Rooney has routinely been the worst player on the pitch for England, and barely contributed to England's Euro 2016 qualification at all. He is a burden, and should have retired already. I know you'll bring up the goal tally, so look at how those goals were scored (extremely weak teams / penalties). He's stayed in the side at the expense of one of Vardy or Kane while both were in the form of their lives. At the Euros, we had am exciting pay Owen-like - Marcus Rashford. He rotted on the bench while Captain Wazza heroically led us to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Iceland. A country with the population of Coventry.

Give the captaincy to Jordan Henderson over Rooney. Hell, give it to a 22-year old. Can't be worse. Rooney is such an embarrassment. Owen had been carted off long before this stage, and the alternatives we had at that time weren't even average. Don't talk shite about Rooney being our best player, when Kane and Vardy can't even start every match, because captain Wazza must play in all of them. Also, Hart has been better for England over that time period.
This explains why you are not the England manager. You can pin all the hate on him and by no means does it mean I am defending him per say, but to absolutely continue to hate on your captain tells a lot about 'England' fans doesn't it. Let guess, Henderson, Sterling and Sturridge should be the captains even though they have achieved next to nothing, Harry Kane taking corner kicks and free kicks......It is interesting to see England from the outside in contrast to those seeing it from the inside. Of course Rooney isn't the same as he was years ago, he has regressed but that is general for players within that age bracket but what he brings is way more than all those overrated fancy new pant players you lot go on a hype about

This explains why you are not the England manager. You can pin all the hate on him and by no means does it mean I am defending him per say, but to absolutely continue to hate on your captain tells a lot about 'England' fans doesn't it. Let guess, Henderson, Sterling and Sturridge should be the captains even though they have achieved next to nothing, Harry Kane taking corner kicks and free kicks......It is interesting to see England from the outside in contrast to those seeing it from the inside. Of course Rooney isn't the same as he was years ago, he has regressed but that is general for players within that age bracket but what he brings is way more than all those overrated fancy new pant players you lot go on a hype about

What a bizarre post of near-incoherant rambling. Why don't you attack what I actually say, rather than making a slew of bizarre accusations against me?

No, I don't think Sterling or Sturridge would be good captains. No, I don't think Kane should be on every set-piece. No, I'm not hyping up every 'overrated fancy new pant' player. Vardy, Kane and Rashford all did brilliantly in the league last year, the praise they received is deserved. I just don't rate Rooney, either as a player or a captain. I'm not alone in that, even most Man Utd fans will admit thay he's been chasing shadows since Moyes was moved on.

And as an aside, Henderson has captained the youth team and Liverpool FC, so he's probably as good a pick as anyone.

There's far too much precedence put on captains. It doesn't really matter who leads out the team and chooses which side he wants a fucking coin to fall. It's nonsense.

But, having said that, I imagine a lot of the younger players look up to Wayne Rooney a great deal and would be delighted to be lead out by a man that has achieved a great deal in the footballing world.

There's far too much precedence put on captains. It doesn't really matter who leads out the team and chooses which side he wants a fucking coin to fall. It's nonsense.

But, having said that, I imagine a lot of the younger players look up to Wayne Rooney a great deal and would be delighted to be lead out by a man that has achieved a great deal in the footballing world.

Yup. I look at the current team and even though I'm not a fan of Rooney he is the most senior player with the best record in that England squad over the years and that is generally how captains are chosen, especially for international duty.

Biggest problem I see with the England squad is a lack of playmakers. Too much speed or brawn and not enough intellect. When Rooney is put in as a number 10 and not as the old second striker version of a 10 we know there is a lack of players in that area, in some ways it wouldn't be so bad if we had a quality 8 that could thread balls and play long balls but we don't have that either. Essentially the team has no spine, regardless of the manager that is hard to play with as your wingers and strikers have to then do all the work.

Tosyn_88

Yup. I look at the current team and even though I'm not a fan of Rooney he is the most senior player with the best record in that England squad over the years and that is generally how captains are chosen, especially for international duty.

Biggest problem I see with the England squad is a lack of playmakers. Too much speed or brawn and not enough intellect. When Rooney is put in as a number 10 and not as the old second striker version of a 10 we know there is a lack of players in that area, in some ways it wouldn't be so bad if we had a quality 8 that could thread balls and play long balls but we don't have that either. Essentially the team has no spine, regardless of the manager that is hard to play with as your wingers and strikers have to then do all the work.

I think you just summed up England at the Euros perfectly, I mean this team had Wilshare who wasn't fit enough, Henderson who cannot pass or orchestrate enough, Dier who seem not entirely sure what role he wants to play and Lallana who seem to be trying to play as winger rather than a creative. That left Rooney to actually hold the responsibility of finding gaps in the oppositions defence, a player who is clearly in decline and they all wonder why Iceland beat them

Pachimari

I really hope we don't sell Isco during these last two days of the window. I don't think I would mind it if James left, although I would be happy if he stays too.

bjaelke

Loic Remy on a season long loan to Palace.

Sahko on a season long loan to WBA almost confirmed(?!??!). He must really lack discipline in training since Klopp has given him this kind of treatment.

NHale

It seems Adrien Silva isn't going to Leicester so easily as it once seemed. English press believed his interview about "wanting to leave and the president agreeing that when a good offer arrived for both sides he would be allowed to leave".

Problem: Sporting don't think the current Leicester offer is a good deal for them, so the player messed up trying to pressure the team into selling him and trying to not piss off the fans. If I had to guess after what happened with Carrillo last year (with Leicester as well), he will stay at Sporting unless Leicester increases the already big offer they made (~€28M, Sporting wants ~40M).

After getting Munir via loan, Valencia is negotiating Rodrigo with Sunderland. They already have Januzaj...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Gnabry being sold directly to Bremen "Bayern is irrelevant" was the quote.

Perez announced, Mustafi soon.

Aston Villa sign striker Jonathan Kodjia from Bristol City - it's a Championship record £15m fee!

Absolutely ridiculous. Even the Championship has started playing silly beggars.

Ipswich Town will never make it back into the Premier League now. It just seems utterly impossible to compete against these teams with ridiculously high parachute payments.

Bumhead

Banned
Had an argument with a Villa fan about our ticket prices before the first game of the season. He was moaning about it costing £42.

£42 is too expensive to watch football anywhere but how else do clubs compete? How can the rest of the division compete with Villa when they're going to be lining up with a £27m+ forward line paid for AFTER they got relegated? I'm fucking praying they stay down and make an absolute balls up of it.

FFP has failed miserably and this division is suffering because of it.

Wonder if they should lessen the parachute payments. Sounds counterintuitive and damaging to the clubs, but it surely promotes yo-yo teams going up and down, promotes financial irresponsibility, and creates a massive gulf in spending power between relegated sides and the other teams in their division.

It feels like its not treated as a parachute anymore, and more as a platform.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Don't worry, when Huddersfield finish top at the end of the season everyone will see the record signings mean nothing and it's all down to quality managing and clever signings.

This opening streak will end soon...

Loic Remy on a season long loan to Palace.

Sahko on a season long loan to WBA almost confirmed(?!??!). He must really lack discipline in training since Klopp has given him this kind of treatment.

I'm following some really bitter and angry WBA supporters on twitter, who will go completely mental if Pulis sign another CB.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Alright lads, how are we

Eric Dier isn't a guaranteed starter? He should be.
Yeah I was about to post
No he doesn't fall into this category. He's improved a lot since joining spurs but he has a long way to go still. Perhaps Rooney isn't the same as when he were younger but he has retained a consistent ratio compared to all the other names mentioned. If you think Dier should be captain over Rooney, then there's nothing to be said here
lol.

Bumhead

Banned
It feels like its not treated as a parachute anymore, and more as a platform.

All FFP is for The Championship is a race against time.

Bournemouth (and the likes of QPR before them) have set a precedent that you can spend whatever the hell you like as long as you get promoted before it matters.

Everybody in the division with any sort of aspiration of promotion and any sort of money behind them is now embroiled in a race to do it before it goes tits up for themselves. Derby need to get promoted this year or they're likely in trouble (and have already noticeably scaled back this summer). The likes of Wolves and ourselves (Wednesday) who have come into money over the last season or so have maybe got 2-3 seasons to do it, as have the relegated clubs, albeit with a £90m+ advantage.

The Championship is now very much a Premiership 2. It's still a division where upsets can and do happen (I expect both Huddersfield and Bristol to be up there at the end, and think Burton will survive) but over the season those spending the money now will start to impose themselves more and more.

Carbonox

Remy will get Pardew'd again:

Townsend - Benteke - Remy

Remy will moan.

Remy will go to China.

This order of events will occur you see.

How the hell can you follow Real Madrid, and not know who Alacar is? He played regularly in the league for the last like 4 to 5 years, and even played quite a few matches for the national team.

and no, Digne is a left back.

King_Moc

Banned
Parachute payments shouldn't be a thing imo

The problem with not having them is that the entire bottom half of the premier league will be terrified of even attempting to compete. If they spend premier league money on wages, then get relegated, they can easily go out of business.

Marcos Alonso close to joining Chelsea for £23m. Still think the guy shouldn't be playing football.
lmao what? Word is he's been great for Fiorentina and is one of the best fullbacks in the league. Why shouldn't he play football?

Hopefully he plays well for us too.

Lunar FC

lmao what? Word is he's been great for Fiorentina and is one of the best fullbacks in the league. Why shouldn't he play football?

Hopefully he plays well for us too.

From 30 seconds of research he got in a single car accident while driving intoxicated that resulted in the death of a passanger.

Pachimari

How the hell can you follow Real Madrid, and not know who Alacar is? He played regularly in the league for the last like 4 to 5 years, and even played quite a few matches for the national team.

and no, Digne is a left back.

Because I'm not watching Valencia play, besides the two times they'll play us.

Syder

Alright lads, how are we

Yeah I was about to post

lol.
Welcome back, mate.

People need to stop sleeping on Eric Dier. He was a consistent 7 or 8 out of 10 all of last season and chipped in with a goal here and there. The fact that he's 22 is shocking, he has the playstyle and demeanour of a player at least 5 years his senior. Building a team around players like Eric Dier is exactly what Spurs have done and what England must do.

If people are fine with the continued nepotism of the wasted 'Golden Generation' then we're only going to have more tournament exits to inferior teams. With Rooney's intentions to retire after the next World Cup, you can pretty much write off our chances of growing within the next couple of years. Put it this way, I'd rather have fit, consistent, proven Premier League performers like Dier, Drinkwater, Barkley & Noble over Wheelchair, Lallana, Rooney & Henderson. Don't get me wrong, I respect Rooney. He still has good stats despite the more negative style of play he's adopted but not having Rooney in the setup is about more than appeasing meme-loving internet England fans. Rooney represents the last vestiges of the Golden Generation and Top 4 Club prioritisation. Mourinho might be appeasing Rooney now but he's only going to continue to regress. Going to be funny seeing Sam faced with no choice but to drop him in a year or two because Mourinho has won something and has enough good faith with the United faithful and decides to perma-bench Rooney.

The England job is a poison chalice and we're just going to continue to have a stream of Yes Men coming in and out of the job. Looking at Sam's track record of doing things his way, I'm surprised he'd take a cushy job of mediocrity and working inside the box.
ieqe5z.png

Arsenal selling Gnabry is such a weird decision. Kid's gonna be worth loads after a decent season, why not loan him then sell him next year?

Surely he'd have signed another contract with his father open to it.

Bumhead

Banned
The problem with not having them is that the entire bottom half of the premier league will be terrified of even attempting to compete. If they spend premier league money on wages, then get relegated, they can easily go out of business.

With all due respect, that's not anybody's concern other than the clubs themselves, and it's on nobody but them to control their spending.

A team taking risks, it not working and them hitting the skids is on them. Hey, it happened to my club. We dropped out of the Premiership, lost our best players, still ended up lumbered in debt. Weve been out of the Prem for 16 years now with 2 seperate stints in League One and an hour away from extinction along the way.

Teams nowadays can afford to keep players on Premier League wages and cherry pick the rest of the football league with huge record breaking transfers, in the knowledge that there's a £90m comfort blanket around them. I don't think it's working.

Kill3r7

With all due respect, that's not anybody's concern other than the clubs themselves, and it's on nobody but them to control their spending.

A team taking risks, it not working and them hitting the skids is on them. Hey, it happened to my club. We dropped out of the Premiership, lost our best players, still ended up lumbered in debt. Weve been out of the Prem for 16 years now with 2 seperate stints in League One and an hour away from extinction along the way.

Teams nowadays can afford to keep players on Premier League wages and cherry pick the rest of the football league with huge record breaking transfers, in the knowledge that there's a £90m comfort blanket around them. I don't think it's working.

There is certainly a correlation between spending and success. That said, there is no way either Villa or Newcastle could afford to pay those wages for more than one or two years. If they fail to make it back up their are setting themselves up for failure.

bjaelke

Konoplyanka to Schalke and Chambers to Boro. Both on 1-year loans.

Chelsea have made a sensational £32million move to bring David Luiz back to Stamford Bridge.
Sensational indeed. Hope Daily Fail is correct on this one.

RiggyRob

FUCK YES!

We (Man Utd) might have a chance now. I mean, it's going to be even worse now if we lose and Aguero is out. He is literally a one man wrecking ball against opponents.

Pls, stop wetting yourself. We're unbeaten in the last three games against City.

It'll be an interesting match for Pep v Mourinho, but it's not going to be a cakewalk for them.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Sky Sports News HQ @SkySportsNewsHQ
BREAKING: @ChelseaFC make bid of over £30m for defender @DavidLuiz_4. More here: skysports.tv/xVHd9l #SSNHQ

ahahahahahaha

Top Bottom