• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Syder

CrnOr-OWgAAzoFY.jpg
That steward has got his hands full there.

Is that Physique 61 for Messi?

Do the FIFA devs not even know the difference between small and sturdy, and small and weak?

Legit think his passing is as good as anyone's in the game as well. Might not get the percentages of a Veratti or an Iniesta, but that comes with the position and audacity of his attempts

spidye

Is that Physique 61 for Messi?

Do the FIFA devs not even know the difference between small and sturdy, and small and weak?

Legit think his passing is as good as anyone's in the game as well. Might not get the percentages of a Veratti or an Iniesta, but that comes with the position and audacity of his attempts

I'd like to know how those devs can rate something like tackling or shooting with absolute variables.

whats the difference in 85 shooting or 84 shooting?
to me, those numbers are as random as IGN's review scores.

Replacing Lahm and Robben will be impossible.
we should re sign Weiser and be done with it

please no Weiser. Alaba wouldn't concentrate on football anymore if his tanga buddy rejoins

Pachimari

I kind of dislike the new structure of the Champions League giving the four biggest leagues a sure fire entrance for the top 4 teams. So this year could be the last year in a long while we'll see a Danish team in the tournament.

Just wondering, for the people in here who support a club in one of the 4 big leagues, are you really happy with the decision from the UEFA to have the top-4 of England, Spain, Germany and Italy guaranteed in the Champions League from 2018 and forward ?

As a supporter of a club in one of the other leagues I really feel this is like the worst decision the UEFA could have made...
The already massive gap between the big leagues and the rest will only get bigger and bigger and the CL itself will become even more of a snoozefest in regard to which clubs are able to even win it.

There's a meeting tomorrow in Amsterdam of the EPFL where all European Leagues come together to discuss this and I sincerely hope (while knowing better...) that all the other leagues in Europe just leave the damn UEFA and create their own European competitions next to the national ones.
Modern football is already a lot less interesting than how it used to be before the big money came around, but these damn UEFA plans are only going to make it far worse.

Lol, we were thinking of the same subject, writing at the same time. I'm a Real Madrid fan, and I don't like it at all.

Nyx

Just wondering, for the people in here who support a club in one of the 4 big leagues, are you really happy with the decision from the UEFA to have the top-4 of England, Spain, Germany and Italy guaranteed in the Champions League from 2018 and forward ?

As a supporter of a club in one of the other leagues I really feel this is like the worst decision the UEFA could have made...
The already massive gap between the big leagues and the rest will only get bigger and bigger and the CL itself will become even more of a snoozefest in regard to which clubs are able to even win it.

There's a meeting tomorrow in Amsterdam of the EPFL where all European Leagues come together to discuss this and I sincerely hope (while knowing better...) that all the other leagues in Europe just leave the damn UEFA and create their own European competitions next to the national ones.
Modern football is already a lot less interesting than how it used to be before the big money came around, but these damn UEFA plans are only going to make it far worse.

Lol, we were thinking of the same subject, writing at the same time. I'm a Real Madrid fan, and I don't like it at all.

Nice!

I'm probably just naive but I wish people in the UEFA would try to balance the strength of all different leagues instead of making the gap bigger.
Of course the big leagues have a lot more viewers so it's natural that clubs in those leagues receive more money, but still something could and should be done.

Otherwise the other leagues will turn into ''reserve'' leagues for the biggest clubs. I'm really baffled already at the fact that some English clubs loaned out more than 30 players to other clubs this season already.
Can you imagine how that will be in 10 years? Those big clubs will have squads of a 100 footballers of which 75 are loaned out each season.

PatjuhR

Maybe I'm biased because I'm Dutch, but if van Praag is going to lose the votings to become the new UEFA preses, I see a dark future ahead. The other guy hasn't been elected yet and there are already voices of bribing and shit.

Really disappointed in the scandinavian countries and germany who already told they will vote for the other guy. Glad England and Belgium got their things right.

Things like 4 guaranteed spots for the top 4 leagues are money-based decisions and is complete ridicule. I had trust in Van Praag to stop trends like that, but by the looks of it he's not even getting close.

Pachimari

Really disappointed in the scandinavian countries and germany who already told they will vote for the other guy. Glad England and Belgium got their things right.

They ran a news story in the Scandinavian media yesterday, how the Nordic countries have given him the votes and expressed support as the first ones, and then we'll get the Euro Cup in 2024 or 2028.

Kuros

New stand at Anfield ready to go.

29081316290_18f96a0e92_b.jpg

The reason why we've had 3 away games on the trot to start the season if anyone was wondering.

I'm happy. I never tune in to watch CSKA vs Monaco or Club Brugge vs FC Copenhagen. The format is over bloated and the best teams to watch are those from Spain and Germany as they are all technically proficient (which I prefer) and then the English and Italian clubs so the more the better. Who is going to be in the semis is going to be Barca, Real and Bayern with either an Italian, Spanish or English team as the fourth regardless of how many smaller teams are in the competition. I just don't like the tournament for the same reason I don't like the World Cup or the Euros, it overly rewards defensive football due to the structure. I was hoping the meeting that happened last year about a new super league was going to happen.

PatjuhR

Yea, that's what I read aswell and suggested at.

Off course it's just rumours for now and it's hard to take conclusions so soon, but with the FIFA and UEFA I've learned that when it smokes, there is a fire somewhere. And it's really a false start.

Already puts a lot of pressure on the elections for the EURO '24 and '28 elections. If they go to you (it would be fair, because I think it's about your time again) there would be a lot of accusations going back to the election of this UEFA president.

I have to admit I don't know the other guy, but I at least now about Van Praag that he was one of the first person to speak up against Blatter at FIFA and I didn't hear anybody else.

Nyx

I'm happy. I never tune in to watch CSKA vs Monaco or Club Brugge vs FC Copenhagen. The format is over bloated and the best teams to watch are those from Spain and Germany as they are all technically proficient (which I prefer) and then the English and Italian clubs so the more the better. Who is going to be in the semis is going to be Barca, Real and Bayern with either an Italian, Spanish or English team as the fourth regardless of how many smaller teams are in the competition. I just don't like the tournament for the same reason I don't like the World Cup or the Euros, it overly rewards defensive football due to the structure. I was hoping the meeting that happened last year about a new super league was going to happen.

A super league would be great, but then those ''super clubs'' will have to leave their national leagues imo.

I'd be happy to say goodbye to the Barcas, Reals and Bayerns of this world and never tune in to a Super League match ever. (I already hardly watch the CL anymore for a lot of the same reasons as you).

Then the rest of the clubs in Europe can have a more fair CL and EL. (or completely new European competition formats).

It would also be amazing if all clubs NOT in the Super League would agree to sell players to clubs IN the Super League for a minimum fee of 50m euros only, regardless of which player it is.

Take that you big spenders! ;-)

Kuros

I don't see the English clubs ever going for a super league. There would be less viewership and TV money for the splitting clubs imo.

PatjuhR

A super league would be great, but then those ''super clubs'' will have to leave their national leagues imo.

I'd be happy to say goodbye to the Barcas, Reals and Bayerns of this world and never tune in to a Super League match ever. (I already hardly watch the CL anymore for a lot of the same reasons as you).

Then the rest of the clubs in Europe can have a more fair CL and EL. (or completely new European competition formats).

It would also be amazing if all clubs NOT in the Super League would agree to sell players to clubs IN the Super League for a minimum fee of 50m euros only, regardless of which player it is.

Take that you big spenders! ;-)

It would become an American like sport system.

With all the top teams unable to relegate or promote and all the other teams like the college leagues?

I don't see the English clubs ever going for a super league. There would be less viewership and TV money for the splitting clubs imo.

Oh they never would. I'd like it to happen but the Prem is easy money. Unless it could sit alongside the Prem and makes more money for them than the CL then it wouldn't even get a consideration.

Kuros

IMO the superleague is just use as a dagger to the throat of UEFA. The 4 clubs per big league is almost certainly something won by doing this.

Syder

The already massive gap between the big leagues and the rest will only get bigger and bigger and the CL itself will become even more of a snoozefest in regard to which clubs are able to even win it
I don't blame UEFA for wanting to protect their asset of the Champions League. The Top 4 leagues have the biggest audience and therefore the biggest opportunity to make money. The sad reality is that if smaller leagues like Danish Superliga and the like decided to boycott UEFA's competitions it probably wouldn't affect the money they make at all. The rich will get richer and a lot of countries will get left behind, unfortunately.

Nyx

I don't blame UEFA for wanting to protect their asset of the Champions League. The Top 4 leagues have the biggest audience and therefore the biggest opportunity to make money. The sad reality is that if smaller leagues like Danish Superliga and the like decided to boycott UEFA's competitions it probably wouldn't affect the money they make at all. The rich will get richer and a lot of countries will get left behind, unfortunately.

But wouldn't that eventually mean that people get bored of football and move away?

If just a small selection of clubs are able to compete, people lose interest I think.

Syder

But wouldn't that eventually mean that people get bored of football and move away?

If just a small selection of clubs are able to compete, people lose interest I think.
Only having a small number of clubs being able to win the top 4 leagues hasn't hurt interest in them at all. I also think people will always be interested in football as long as the quality is good.

Kinda off topic...

but how the hell are people letting EA get away with making FIFA look better than it did 4 years ago, yet play worse and have worse computer AI.

17 isn't out yet, but I own 16 on the PC and 13+14 on the Xbox 360. The teammate AI, opposing team AI and control are much better in Fifa 13. It's not even close.

Ok..Rant over.

Less that 48 hours until the Manchester derby. I'm more excited for that than I am for my Steelers to start their season.

Top Bottom