• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Audioboxer

Because nobody likes being publicly scapegoated by their boss. It doesn't matter how much someone is being paid or where they work. It's not nice. Having your boss blame you on camera and have that be broadcasted all over the world and translated into dozens of languages is humiliating. It's not footballers being prima donnas.

In all my years going to watch Arsenal I have never booed a player nor the team so no hypocrisy here.

Unless you manage to ask Luke Shaw himself I don't know how "humiliating" is now his concrete apparent feelings on this matter given what Jose actually said was fairly benign. If you're unhappy with the way the press go ham on players and with headlines, then yeah, that is something players have to learn to get over and ignore. Considering it happens all the time and seemingly "journalists" can print whatever the fuck they want without any sort of being held accountable. Players know that by now, and apparent "manager bust ups!" that are complete and utter nonsense mean nothing if there is no truth. Other than to satisfy fans and their love of tabloids/drama.

I get what you're saying but at a time where the Man Utd squad needs a dressing down some public honesty is hardly a bad thing. Maybe I'm a bit old school there, but hey that's my 2 cents.

I wouldn't leave the club because of Jose, I'd leave the club because it's going nowhere

I thought Shaw played alright. If Jose want's to target anyone, it should be Rooney. What a joke he's become, it's sad.

But if Rooney is not at fault for the second goal how can he be said to be at fault for it? Jose answered the reason to why he felt the second goal was lost. If Wayne Rooney was not involved in the reason for the second goal.... ?

I mean as for your first remark, that is fine for your opinion on the club, but it's completely irrelevant to discussing a manager speaking about why he factually thinks a goal was conceded in public.

Sir Alex Ferguson never did it for the simple reason that players aren't stupid, if they've had a bad game, they know about it. Airing it in public as opposed to correcting it in private/on the training ground is a futile exercise.

SAF while I love him is hardly some shining beacon of light with never clashing with or upsetting players. I just think when managers essentially have to admit when questioned that "individual errors occurred" it's not some crime against footballers if it's said straight as a ruler at times. I mean how is it better to say "yes our LB was at fault there". Your left back? Yes. Who's that? I said, it's our Left Back....

This is one time after years of a club on a downward slump I do not think open dressing downs and honesty about mistakes needs to be mollycoddled. I want Jose to try a fairly ruthless approach, and yes that means now dropping Rooney because fuck that pie size ego and seeming invulnerability he possesses to strike fear in managers to dress him down.

EmiPrime

Unless you manage to ask Luke Shaw himself I don't know how "humiliating" is now concrete his apparent feelings on this matter given what Jose actually said was fairly benign. If you're unhappy with the way the press go ham on players and with headlines, then yeah, that is something players have to learn to get over and ignore. Considering it happens all the time and seemingly "journalists" can print whatever the fuck they want without any sort of being held accountable. Players know that by now, and apparent "manager bust ups!" that are complete and utter nonsense mean nothing if there is no truth. Other than to satisfy fans and their love of tabloids/drama.

I get what you're saying but at a time where the Man Utd squad needs a dressing down some public honesty is hardly a bad thing. Maybe I'm a bit old school there, but hey that's my 2 cents.

Wait, what?! That's a completely separate discussion. Where did I mention being unhappy at journalists critiquing a player's performance? You're a bit all over the shop on this one!

Audioboxer

Wait, what?! That's a completely separate discussion. Where did I mention being unhappy at journalists critiquing a player's performance? You're a bit all over the shop on this one!

Journalists are the ones who take what Jose said and print articles that "Luke Shaw is now unhappy and Jose is blaming the whole season on him!" Who told them? An "insider at the training camp". Etc.

Just in-case you felt that managers being public fed into that. I mean it does, but that's the tabloids way of things. They latch onto anything and print what they want.

Anyway I'm glad there is seemingly a fair few concerned non-Man Utd Man Utd fans in here :p

EmiPrime

Journalists are the ones who take what Jose said and print articles that "Luke Shaw is now unhappy and Jose is blaming the whole season on him!" Who told them? An "insider at the training camp". Etc.

Just in-case you felt that managers being public fed into that. I mean it does, but that's the tabloids way of things. They latch onto anything and print what they want.

Anyway I'm glad there is seemingly a fair few concerned non-Man Utd Man Utd fans in here :p

Well again that's another thing entirely. Printing sensationalist bollocks about football is what tabloids do when they're not being racist.

Syder

Interesting little fact. Manchester United players have covered the least distance in the Premier League over the first five games.
MouHands.png

longdi

Banned
Interesting little fact. Manchester United players have covered the least distance in the Premier League over the first five games.
MouHands.png

Doesn't sound like a mou team. But old ibra is his boy, he wont touch rooney, and pogba is so expensive. That's why he turned his attention to poor shaw?

It's a bet if shaw is young and hungry enough to galvanise the team and prove mou wrong. Then again, such reverse trolling has not been working well, at least Mata can welcome shaw to the family

Jarnet87

http://www.premfaces.com/images/site/faces/MouHands.p/IMG][/INDENT][/QUOTE]

He's just saving those legs for the long season

[img]http://premfaces.com/images/site/faces/mou4.png​

So when was Schneiderlin ever good? He's been sparingly used for the past 2 years and I'm thinking that if he were at least decent he'd get more playing time.

Floody

So when was Schneiderlin ever good? He's been sparingly used for the past 2 years and I'm thinking that if he were at least decent he'd get more playing time.

The season before you bought him, he was arguably the best DM in the league, went downhill massively since you signed him though, and I'd imagine his confidence is at rock bottom now, so will take some time for him to get going. I am surprised Mou hasn't given him much of a chance yet though, seems like the perfect Mou player.

PatjuhR

Rooney was playing the striker under LvG. And he was still shite.

We need to play 4-3-3 with a holding midfielder to free up space for Pogba to roam free. Preferably Blind with Carrick and Pogba in front of him.
We need intelligent players who can read the game in the midfield.
And Rooney needs to feck off to MLS

Yes, but he played there on his own.

I think Ibra up front with Rooney around him will work wonders for both. I also agree Pogba should be able to have a free role. Maybe United is missing a Kante type, because I think Carrick and Blind is to much on the midfield.

I guess Pogba and Carrick in the middle is what I'd do.

Jarnet87

The season before you bought him, he was arguably the best DM in the league, went downhill massively since you signed him though, and I'd imagine his confidence is at rock bottom now, so will take some time for him to get going. I am surprised Mou hasn't given him much of a chance yet though, seems like the perfect Mou player.

I have seen people argue that Wanyama was the more defensive of the two when they partnered at Southampton and he was a big part of Schneiderlin's success. Being the deepest or lone DM doesn't fit him as well. I did not watch much of Southampton when they played together so I don't have an opinion on this. Statistically United were a better side with him on the pitch. Out of all the names on the roster, Schneiderlin was definitely one of the names circled to see a big improvement under Mou when he got the manager job.

Yes, but he played there on his own.

I think Ibra up front with Rooney around him will work wonders for both. I also agree Pogba should be able to have a free role. Maybe United is missing a Kante type, because I think Carrick and Blind is to much on the midfield.

I guess Pogba and Carrick in the middle is what I'd do.

The only thing that Ibra is going to do if they play in a two striker system is knock that fat bald kunt out for getting in his way. This is not 2005 Rooney, 2009 Rooney, or even 2012 Rooney where he was already past it.

After the summer of hype – United and Adidas released an ad campaign over the signing of a player for fuck sake – people are going to be on the club like flies on shit. When you have muppets like The United Stand and Stephen Howson that create enough content for people to laugh at in post to fill twitter for years the fans and club are gonna get grilled. Especially when a £89million players best contribution to a game has been a rugby tackle. Not often Liverpool fans can say they are the least delusional fan base in the North West, because they actually look good enough to compete this year.

Floody

I have seen people argue that Wanyama was the more defensive of the two when they partnered at Southampton and he was a big part of Schneiderlin's success. Being the deepest or lone DM doesn't fit him as well. I did not watch much of Southampton when they played together so I don't have an opinion on this. Statistically United were a better side with him on the pitch. Out of all the names on the roster, Schneiderlin was definitely one of the names circled to see a big improvement under Mou when he got the manager job.

They could be right, I just remember being salty when you got him, as I thought he was really good, though I also didn't watch an awful lot of Southampton, so could have missed just how important Wanyama was to his game. Lovren had a similar drop in quality when he joined us, going from one of the top CBs in the league to kinda shit (has improved a lot since Klopp came in though), so it's possible the team just made him look better than he was.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

He was easily the best defensive midfielder in the league before Utd ruined him

EDIT: Wanyama was fantastic too. Gutted Spuds got him.

NHale

Strange that Pep Guardiola isn't getting any negative criticism in the way he's dealing with Yaya Toure publicly by saying he's not going to play unless he apologizes by his agent remarks.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Sky Sports News HQ @SkySportsNewsHQ
BREAKING: @YayaToure's agent Dimitri Seluk tells #SSNHQ: "Guardiola wins a few games and think he is king. (1/3)

Sky Sports News HQ @SkySportsNewsHQ
BREAKING: Seluk: "I live in Europe so I can say whatever I like and Guardiola can't stop me." (2/3) #SSNHQ

@SkySportsNewsHQ
BREAKING: Seluk: "I will apologise to Guardiola if he will apologise to Manuel Pellegrini for what he did to him." (3/3) #SSNHQ

Think Yaya's agent needs to just shut the fuck up

Jarnet87

there was more fuss about Joe Hart getting pushed out. No one cares that Pep pushed out an older lazy primadonna midfielder. Maybe if he was English. United fans can only dream of an alternate universe where we got Pep and Rooney was gone by July.

Strange that Pep Guardiola isn't getting any negative criticism in the way he's dealing with Yaya Toure publicly by saying he's not going to play unless he apologizes by his agent remarks.

One of the reasons Pep got rid of Toure at Barca was because of his agent. Seluk is vile I have no idea why he keeps him around, anyone could get a person with the skills of Yaya silly money without turned Yaya into a joke.

But one of the reasons why nobody has had a go is because it is Seluk, the journalists that side with that joke would be a laughing stock.

Beefy

Lol Yaya's agent is on Sky now going mad.

"Why don't you apoligies"

Selak "I don't know the words" then laughs

The guy is rambling about Pep and going mad about nothing. I reckon he is insane.

White: "Pep said Yaya has missed 4 days training with a headache"

Seluk: " Pep doesn't know anything, managers are like dads and players like kids. Sometimes dads have to sit down with their kids and talk things over"

More crazy rambling

Selak: " Pep has to say sorry to Yaya, Hart and Pellegrini"

Wtf haha

bjaelke

Big interview with him in The Mirror: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/if-pep-guardiola-wants-war-8877542

If Pep Guardiola wants a war, then he can have one.
Pep doesn't want players with personality. He only wants players who are scared of him and will do what he says.
If Pep wants to prove himself as a great manager, then he should go to Zaragoza or Sunderland.
But when his [Yaya] contract is over, he will tell the truth about Pep Guardiola and Manchester City's fans will not like it.

Meier

He didn't say that Yaya should apologize -- he said Seluk should. And he's right and it's about fucking time we stood up to him publicly. Yaya is represented by Seluk in every regard and he needs to rein him in because Seluk has absolutely destroyed so much good will with the fans. If Yaya doesn't care about playing, then it's not a big deal as he obviously isn't needed at this point, but if he wants to salvage anything of the next year, he needs to get Seluk under control.

He didn't say that Yaya should apologize -- he said Seluk should. And he's right and it's about fucking time we stood up to him publicly. Yaya is represented by Seluk in every regard and he needs to rein him in because Seluk has absolutely destroyed so much good will with the fans. If Yaya doesn't care about playing, then it's not a big deal as he obviously isn't needed at this point, but if he wants to salvage anything of the next year, he needs to get Seluk under control.

Going by Yaya's career worth of Seluk quotes that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Meier

Going by Yaya's career worth of Seluk quotes that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Which for Pep's sake is fine. Yaya isn't in the plans either way, so the only one getting hurt by this is Yaya. It's always been up to him and if he doesn't care, so be it. He retired from international football today too which would mean effectively a year away which presumably can't help for his future plans of playing for big money in China or the US.

Jarnet87

Never watch him at Saints? He was amazing for us, we will gladly take him back.

As a Saints supporter how much did he benefit from having Wanyama next to him. How much of the defensive responsibility, leg work, etc did he have to do or was he more of a box to box player during his time there because of Wanyama. The expectation from United fans as far as I remember was okay we've got the DM role sown up, this guy can be the destroyer we need. Or was he a real quality DM for Saints and it's just been a case of him not being able make the jump to a bigger club.

Beefy

As a Saints supporter how much did he benefit from having Wanyama next to him. How much of the defensive responsibility, leg work, etc did he have to do or was he more of a box to box player during his time there because of Wanyama. The expectation from United fans as far as I remember was okay we've got the DM role sown up, this guy can be the destroyer we need. Or was he a real quality DM for Saints and it's just been a case of him not being able make the jump to a bigger club.

Never a destroyer, but helped break up play a lot. He is far more a player used to change defending to attacking either by breaking up play with Wanyama or playing a amazing pin point ball to set up a counter attack.

I think it is far more he is being asked to do something he isn't. A bit like Pogba is atm as well.

Utd team should be:

De Gea

Blind
Bailly
Smalling
Shaw

Schneiderlin
Schweinsteiger

Martial
Pogba
Mkhitaryan

Ibra