• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

I'm sat in a hotel lobby playing Football Manager on my laptop and a City fan just came up to me and apologised about Joe Hart.

giphy.gif

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/896779846763917312

@SkyKaveh

Chelsea wanted to keep Matic but he wanted to go. Had two years left on contract & wasn't going to sign new deal. Why sell to rival though?
In theory, you can do a lot with 40m.

In practice, it's tough when they won't buy and develop young players and the market is so inflated at the moment.

After one game, it looks like Nemanja Matić is the final piece in the Mourinho jigsaw.

TrueBlue

I do think Matic is on the decline generally. That being said, if any manager can get the best out of him, it's Mou.

Ah well. Still should never have sold to a rival. Along with Cech it's becoming a concerning habit.

40m for a 29 year-old who isn't going to get consistent starts is not a bad deal. Selling to a rival isn't great and selling while we have depth issues isn't great but it's a defensible transfer. Everyone should expect some extended dips in form as the season goes on but I expect United fans will overall be happy with Matic.

I love hearing pundits making conclusions for the entire season based in 1 game....

Obviously that's silly, and lets not forget Chelsea didn't start all that well last season. But you can also take into account what has happened to the teams, and in Chelsea's case, it kind of confirms most peoples fears (or hope, if you dislike Chelsea).

jts

...hate me...
Maybe Conte is just aiming for that sweet severance pay from uncle Roman. That's the classic end game for Chelsea's managers, I don't know why should Conte have to work so many years to earn his contract when the others before him didn't have to.

I do think Matic is on the decline generally. That being said, if any manager can get the best out of him, it's Mou.

Ah well. Still should never have sold to a rival. Along with Cech it's becoming a concerning habit.

Tbh more concerned at players we let go ending up elsewhere for big fees. KDB, Lukaku, Schurrle, Salah… all players Jose didn't want

Not too bothered about Cech because he has a terrible defence in front of him but Mata was a bad sale too.

I might be less bothered if we had bothered to replace anyone

Kolx

Mourinho Always win the league in his second season with all the teams he managed. This season isn't gonna any different.

longdi

Banned
What happened to Barca la masia academy? So long that they have not find replacements for puyol,xavi,iniesta,messi,cesc and the list goes on. Was there a change of directors?

I was surprised they sold promising youth since their golden generation matured. I don't think Real is starting to dominate, more like Barca has failed to rejuvenate.

Ehh not liking the PSG kit right now 🤔🤔.

Edit: i find it hard, or near impossible for him not to score in this match tbh

Zasa

That PSG XI is so well balanced. Both Rabiot & Motta are pretty underrated it seems. Have practically every important midfield attribute in that three-man midfield.

NHale

West Ham and Sporting are very close to finish William Carvalho deal. Portuguese news are saying the deal is for €35M and William will receive €2M per year. Some pro-Sporting sources started to claim today that Sporting is delaying the deal because they expect Arsenal to get interested if they fail their other targets. In my opinion, that's just a smokescreen to make West Ham increase their payment upfront.

If Neymar doesn't score...

Morata > Neymar

40m for a 29 year-old who isn't going to get consistent starts is not a bad deal. Selling to a rival isn't great and selling while we have depth issues isn't great but it's a defensible transfer. Everyone should expect some extended dips in form as the season goes on but I expect United fans will overall be happy with Matic.

He is 29 year old not 34 year old. 29 year old is the time where some of the best holding midfielders peak. Matic is also a player that doesn't rely on speed so age is not as big a factor as some pacy wingbacks or attackers.

PatjuhR

Matic is the perfect signing.

In my eyes he is perfect together with Pogba. If you add a random attacking midfielder from the 5th league to those two you still have a great midfield.

But instead they can add Mkhitaryan (I'm not going to try harder for his name) or Mata.

slider

West Ham and Sporting are very close to finish William Carvalho deal. Portuguese news are saying the deal is for €35M and William will receive €2M per year. Some pro-Sporting sources started to claim today that Sporting is delaying the deal because they expect Arsenal to get interested if they fail their other targets. In my opinion, that's just a smokescreen to make West Ham increase their payment upfront.

I'd seen lots of reports of him linked with various PL clubs in past seasons. I wonder if Sporting don't really rate him.

Anyone got any opinions on him? Think we've needed a disciplined DM for a while. Does Carvalho fit that description?

Pachimari

What happened to Barca la masia academy? So long that they have not find replacements for puyol,xavi,iniesta,messi,cesc and the list goes on. Was there a change of directors?

I was surprised they sold promising youth since their golden generation matured. I don't think Real is starting to dominate, more like Barca has failed to rejuvenate.
This stuff goes in circles. It's not like it's a sure thing that you'll have talents come through every single year. Sometimes Barcelona are the ones to get four to five jewels, then Real Madrid are the ones to get talents through their ranks. Rinse and repeat.

PSG is playing some attractive football.

Zasa

To think Griezmann was going to Man U this summer as well. Probably coming next summer at least. What a team that'll be.

Assuming Martial stays & plays, the French talent (& Lukaku) would be something else.

NHale

I'd seen lots of reports of him linked with various PL clubs in past seasons.

Anyone got any opinions on him? Think we've needed a disciplined DM for a while. Does Carvalho fit that description?

I think he can fit that description. After today it's hard not to find players that could improve that squad.

He's very strong and with good defensive spacing and awareness. He reminds me of Wanyama in some regards expect for this: A bit suspect on aerial plays but imho his biggest flaw is that he's too slow with the ball. He tries to be cute a lot of the times and takes a lot of time making the pass to the creative players. Playing for Sporting it works because they are one of the best 3 teams in Portugal, so other teams give them a lot of free space and don't press him, but in the Premier League and especially on a mid tier team that could cost him a little bit to adapt. But at the same time, it's something he can and should quickly change and adapt.

Quite honestly I can see his transition to the Premier League to be one of the 2 extreme scenarios: a complete disaster or a complete success. I bet Arsenal, Chelsea and United didn't go after him because they see the flaws and aren't sure he's going to be a hit for that price tag. Also what was reported is that Sporting was asking for a lot more for Arsenal last season than they are asking West Ham now.

Syder

I'd seen lots of reports of him linked with various PL clubs in past seasons. I wonder if Sporting don't really rate him.

Carvalho paired with Obiang or Kouyaté is a tasty prospect.

The two issues we have left is depth in CM and our aged defence. If we could seal this deal and nab a centre-back I'd be very happy.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Leonardo Jardim: "Kylian Mbappé being on the bench was the club's decision."

Definitely PSG bound, absolutely insane

250mil gets you your own ISO cam 😂

If PSG gets Mbappe, and don't make it to the CL semis or Finals then idk wtf they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom