• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Juventus reject €80m Chelsea bid for Alex Sandro — reports

80m for LWB

giphy.gif

Kyoufu

I'm glad we've acknowledged that Real Madrid are just as bad if not worse than Barcelona in diving scumminess. This thread was getting weird for a while, but we're good now.

Audioboxer

He's much younger than the almost retired Nemanja Matic, so it's clearly worth at least double the price.

He also the hard working mentality that Antonio Conte demands.

Without a doubt. Dude never stops working and giving his all. I mean, when Phil Jones is in a squad Luke Shaw seems like he's barely injured so don't worry about that Chelsea. £80m and it's a deal.

How's the fish and chips quality from Manchester vs London. Could see that being a dealbreaker for Luke.

Is Luke Shaw still fat?

He's got that I'm now in my 20s but I still look 10 'baby chubbyness'.

Bigger issue is attitude and injuries. The leg break wasn't his fault but compare and contrast Zlatan's recovery effort to Luke. I still think he's trying to bang Mourinho's daughter or something.

Tainted

Yeah, Ronaldo was let go because of his reputation, nothing else.

Aye, you watch that video of Vukovic and tell me it is worth a 15mth ban or in any way worse than what Ronaldo did

I know that was long time ago, but this was a ban handed down by the FFA which cost the player a spot in the U23 spot for the '08 Olympics....for just giving the ref a high five

They should have thrown the book at Ronaldo

ty_hot

Glad Barça signed Paulinho. I'm sure he will fit well in the midfield. It really amazed me how the midfielder players from Barça are terrified of shooting at the goal, no matter how close they are. If the coach lets Paulinho play the way he is intended to, Im sure he will be scoring a few times. Great player and he also plays even better at important matches which is something barça is missing.

None of this applies for his Tottenham times though, before anyone quotes me for that...

Draxler not joining Liverpool in January made sense. He would've only started while Mane was gone and didn't have Champions League.

Now its a different story entirely, but I doubt he would be a solid replacement for Coutinho. He would be a fantastic addition for depth though.

Best wishes.

tim.mbp

Glad Barça signed Paulinho. I'm sure he will fit well in the midfield. It really amazed me how the midfielder players from Barça are terrified of shooting at the goal, no matter how close they are. If the coach lets Paulinho play the way he is intended to, Im sure he will be scoring a few times. Great player and he also plays even better at important matches which is something barça is missing.

None of this applies for his Tottenham times though, before anyone quotes me for that...

I don't get why people turn him into a joke just because he didn't cut it at Spurs.

Nerokis

Aye, you watch that video of Vukovic and tell me it is worth a 15mth ban or in any way worse than what Ronaldo did

I know that was long time ago, but this was a ban handed down by the FFA which cost the player a spot in the U23 spot for the '08 Olympics....for just giving the ref a high five

They should have thrown the book at Ronaldo

These conversations are always dragged down by the fact that rules are constantly changing, different from league to league and from organization to organization, and typically applied with a high amount of subjectivity, anyway. There's a lot of room for cherry picking. You emphasize this Vukovic example, which is from a totally different context, when a Madridista might emphasize the example of Messi pushing a ref in 2009 without being punished at all.

In a moment of frustration, Ronaldo pushed an official in a light, totally nonviolent way. In return, he'll miss at least 4 games. There's no concrete measuring stick for judging the appropriateness of that punishment, but in terms of the question "does this provide a good disincentive to do what he did?", I think the punishment fits the crime. For being aggressive at all, he's going to be missing around a month of game time, and no player will ever think that's a worthwhile trade off.

Syder

In a moment of frustration, Ronaldo pushed an official in a light, totally nonviolent way. In return, he'll miss at least 4 games. There's no concrete measuring stick for judging the appropriateness of that punishment, but in terms of the question "does this provide a good disincentive to do what he did?", I think the punishment fits the crime. For being aggressive at all, he's going to be missing around a month of game time, and no player will ever think that's a worthwhile trade off.
DON'T put your hands on an official

It's not hard

Nerokis

Every player should know this by now, so no sympathy for anyone that gets banned for it.

I was discussing the general application of punishment in football, not throwing a pity party over Ronaldo being suspended for a handful of games. I suspect you overemphasized and misread the "...in a moment of frustration..." line of my post.

Syder

I was discussing the general application of punishment in football, not throwing a pity party over Ronaldo being suspended for a handful of games. I suspect you overemphasized and misread the "...in a moment of frustration..." line of my post.
Nope.

I just don't think it's anything worth discussing. Players don't have enough respect for officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom