• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHale

Pickford and Keane especially look to be fucking amazing. 50m for both doesn't seem so much at all.

They have impressed me the most so far.

When compared to the current market price for players, they look like absolute steals. Of course it's still too early to jump to conclusions, but Pickford has been very impressive, especially because he has shown the ability to make a great save after spending 70 minutes doing nothing which was something other goalkeepers on top teams fail to do. Last year we've seen De Gea, Bravo, Courtouis, Cech doing silly mistakes against lower tier teams because they spend half the game doing nothing and are then they are called into action and fail.

Everton has shown glimpses of quality but been sloppy too especially on the offensive side but I'm hopeful they can make it a game against City on Monday. Imho they just need a quality striker and they are ready to go. They just need to pray that Valverde lasts at Barcelona, because I'm sure Koeman is the next man in line for that job.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Not sure how this is an example of a 'lack of loyalty'.

The transfer just didn't work out, simple as that. It's far better that he gets a chance to ply his trade in another first team over sitting on our bench or slumming it with the U-23s. For better or worse, £10m is fine as a sunken cost for Premier League clubs now. It's chump change.

My point was we're quick to call a player for wanting to leave a club, for various reasons, but clubs do it as well and not a word is said.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Jurgen Klopp on Philippe Coutinho: "Can you imagine for a minute I am not a little bit interested about the problems or not of Barcelona?"

DBT85

Jurgen Klopp on Philippe Coutinho: "Can you imagine for a minute I am not a little bit interested about the problems or not of Barcelona?"
Don't tell me, journos are continuously asking the same dumb questions over and over and not bothering to think about the rest of the team?

Bundesliga and La Liga start today. Bayern-Bayer might be interesting.

giphy.gif

Lunar FC

Bundesliga and La Liga start today. Bayern-Bayer might be interesting.

Finally decided to research my lifelong question of why they're called Bayer without an 'n' at the end. Was shocked to learn it was actually because of the club owned by the pharmaceutical company. 😅

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
That's a lot of moolah for Coutinho. Don't know who's more nuts, Barca for bidding that much, or Liverpool for rejecting it.

It doesn't matter how much they bid, we can't replace him at this point. There's no way they can sell a wantaway player after very publicly failing to sign two other wantaway players.

It's a world cup year so he will have to be on his game soon enough, after which he gets his move to Barca and we have time to find a replacement. Everybody wins that way.

That's not how you raise a bid. Does Barcelona board/manager even play FM?

Barca always lowball clubs and rely on players forcing a transfer.

TimmmV

Shows how much Barca were taking the piss when they bid £70m that they're prepared to bid that much now (obviously only after doing their best to fuck up our start to the season and CL qualification first)

I would honestly rather see Coutinho go to PSG for less money than Barca are offering now. Fuck Barca

Shows how much Barca were taking the piss when they bid £70m that theyre prepared to bid that much now (obviously only after doing their best to fuck up our start to the season and CL qualification first)

I would honestly rather see Coutinho go to PSG for less money than Barca are offering now. Fuck Barca

Fuck PSG after their ffp loophole with the Neymar signing

Tubie

Barca still hoping Phil can force Liverpools hand here.

Imagine if he isn't able to do that and Barcelona runs out of time to sign him or Dembele because they kept increasing their bids in only 5m increments every 2 weeks.

Imagine the scenes.

Oh and it's hilarious that Barca's management themselves said Cout and Dembele were almost done right after their loss to Madrid this week.

It's been a matter of hours for over a month now.

Tubie

Problem is, if we don't let him go, will he play for us?

i'd take the money

Do you seriously think a player in his prime would refuse to play for at least 6 months in a world cup year? We're not talking about a madman like Costa here.

He'll be happy to play for Liverpool as soon as the transfer window ends.

Can't replace him right now. It would make the season a write off and with the money at stake in the PL, yeah, it's not worth it.

There are several good reasons for not selling Coutinho but I don't see why this would be one of them?

The PL distributes prize money very evenly. Even if Liverpool sold Coutinho and finished, say, 6th, they would only earn £10m or so less than the league winners.

Getting through to the CL Quarter Finals is worth about £70m right now...so the money Barcelona are offering covers that too should the sale of Coutinho result in Liverpool not qualifying for next year's tournament and progressing well in it.

And let's be honest...Liverpool could finish 6th and not qualify for next years CL even if they keep Coutinho.

So I'm not sure there is any clear financial advantage to be gained by keeping him and turning away the £120m. Development of the squad, time to buy a replacement, pride...all more valid reasons at this point. In fact there's a pretty good argument that in terms of the financials alone...it is a very good deal.

Diabelli

As much as I do want Liverpool to lose their best players, watching Barca struggle is pretty good schadenfreude. I'm hoping Dortmund dig their heels in too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom