• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubie

The reason Liverpool and Dortmund are not taking the money is because post-Neymar the market just got fucked. Everything is crazy right now and there's only 2 weeks left in the transfer window.

Both clubs would have an unbelievably hard time getting decent replacements and they would have to overpay like crazy, cause every team will know Dortmund and Liverpool come with a lot of cash they got from Barcelona.

I find it kind of funny given how he acted with Van Dijk

I don't think he ever said anything about VvD. When he was asked, he said that he couldn't say anything and if he did the media would twist it around. He also said that he was in Iceland when the story broke.

Empty

barca and liverpool are ridiculous

pool could sell coutinho buy draxler and pocket 80m for the next window. coutinho is a good player but nowhere near worth that.

TimmmV

pool could sell coutinho buy draxler and pocket 80m for the next window. coutinho is a good player but nowhere near worth that.

Liverpool reportedly already have enough money to buy Draxler now (although I have no idea what wages he is on), and pocketing £80m for the next window is useless.

It would make more sense to buy Draxler with existing money, keep Coutinho until next summer, and to start planning for his replacement now

No thanks. When the time comes, he would do what Coutinho did, maybe even worse. Also he didn't want to come to us in January, so fuck him.

And Liverpool doesn't need the money.

Liverpool reportedly already have enough money to buy Draxler now (although I have no idea what wages he is on), and pocketing £80m for the next window is useless.

It would make more sense to buy Draxler with existing money, keep Coutinho until next summer, and to start planning for his replacement now

But will Barca want him next summer?

They certainly won't be prepared to pay anywhere near what they're offering now.

NHale

I think people saying don't sell Coutinho for that absurd amount of money and saying "sell him next year" are forgetting a very important thing: it's not a guarantee that Barça will still be there for that amount of money next Summer. Maybe Coutinho gets injured, maybe he plays badly after being denied to leave like he wanted, or maybe Barça finds an alternative that plays well this season and suddenly they don't have a need for Coutinho again.

Remember Barça is only going bunkers because they promised to their fans that Coutinho (and Dembele) would join their team this summer. Not next year, not January. That's why they keep increasing the offer, because they fucked up by making empty promises.

Liverpool is of course within their rights to refuse any offer imho. But don't do it on the assumption that you can sell him for £115M next Summer like it's some 100% guarantee that there will be an offer for that amount next year.

I think people saying don't sell Coutinho for that absurd amount of money and saying "sell him next year" are forgetting a very important thing: it's not a guarantee that Barça will still be there for that amount of money next Summer. Maybe Coutinho gets injured, maybe he plays badly after being denied to leave like he wanted, or maybe Barça finds an alternative that plays well this season and suddenly they don't have a need for Coutinho again.

Remember Barça is only going bunkers because they promised to their fans that Coutinho (and Dembele) would join their team this summer. Not next year, not January. That's why they keep increasing the offer, because they fucked up by making empty promises.

Liverpool is of course within their rights to refuse any offer imho. But don't do it on the assumption that you can sell him for £115M next Summer like it's some 100% guarantee that there will be an offer for that amount next year.

Or maybe they don't want to sell him at all? Maybe if they keep him then other teams won't come in for him and he changes his mind.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Problem is, if we don't let him go, will he play for us?

i'd take the money

It's a world cup year, he has no choice. And the money is irrelevant as I don't trust FSG to spend it wisely (or at all).

Yep, we should be going all out for Draxler right now, we won't because reasons, but he's a perfect Klopp player.

we obviously can't do any business getting in the players we want otherwise I think we would of sold him.

If van dyke and keita came off he would of been sold.

TimmmV

But will Barca want him next summer?

They certainly won't be prepared to pay anywhere near what they're offering now.

Even £90m next summer would be more useful than £115m now, though. Barca have left it too late for that money to be remotely useful, as there just isnt enough time to choose a replacement and have him integrated into the team like Coutinho is

Plus, we have no idea if this summers crazy transfer inflation will continue next season. It could turn out that £115m isn't all that much next year - in which case Liverpool have banked a load of money for no additional benefit

Plus, its also good if clubs finally tell Barca to piss off with these tactics they try. I don't really care about tapping up players because everyone does it - but actively pushing a player to disrupt things for another team is too far. It was good that PSG did it after they tried the same with Veratti too

we obviously can't do any business getting in the players we want otherwise I think we would of sold him.

If van dyke and keita came off he would of been sold.

Yah, part of me suspects that those players would only have been coming if Coutinho had been sold to pay for them. I dont think FSG will be spending large amounts of money on players until the new stand cost is paid off now tbh

Timbuktu

The worst case would be a serious injury, but I don't think he'll suddenly play terribly if he stays and I don't think Liverpool particularly mind if Barca don't come back and he ends up staying for a few more years.

Even if we do get the money for him in this window, I don't think Liverpool would spend the same amount more in the next window. They have shown to be willing to spend this summer, just that clubs aren't selling the players they want. Getting more money in for Cout won't help that. And I don't think it should affect whether they go for Draxler or not.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I think people saying don't sell Coutinho for that absurd amount of money and saying "sell him next year" are forgetting a very important thing: it's not a guarantee that Barça will still be there for that amount of money next Summer.

So we keep him then. Fine with me.

He doesn't want to be at the club though, why keep him hostage. We've more pressing issues like a lack of commanding centre back and decent holding midfield player. Are captains place isn't certain, can isn't singing a new contract and morano is looking like first pick left back.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Gabriel has joined Valencia from us. Can't say I'll miss him.

Sir Bruce Forsyth has passed away too.

giphy.gif

Its time boys! The big finale of this summers transfer madness. They had to outdo Neymars transfer. They just had to!

Yeah people keep trying to say Barca potentially not coming back for him is a downside when thats basically part of my dream scenario.

He doesn't want to be at the club though, why keep him hostage. We've more pressing issues like a lack of commanding centre back and decent holding midfield player. Are captains place isn't certain, can isn't singing a new contract and morano is looking like first pick left back.

We have the money to address those issues already and their response was to sign Salah and Robertson (which are fine signings by themselves). Selling Coutinho isn't going to fix those, it's just going to create another hole that it looks like we won't fill.

T-Rex.

Banned
That Barca bid was a guaranteed payment of £82.1m with the rest of it being dependent on stuff like Coutinho winning the Ballon d'Or etc according to Joyce lmao. Cheeky twats.

TimmmV

Looks like Barcas bid was only £80m upfront and the other £34m was clauses which included Coutinho winning the Balon d'or and Barca winning the CL

So yeah, with that in mind its not even a good bid in the first place

Lashley

80m is more than enough for Coutinho, whether the market is fucked or not

Obviously factor in the lack of a replacement, and it's obvious why Liverpool said no

Looks like Barcas bid was only £80m upfront and the other £34m was clauses which included Coutinho winning the Balon d'or and Barca winning the CL

So yeah, with that in mind its not even a good bid in the first place
Lol, not only cheeky but pretty insulting.

Everyone knows that Barca is loaded now what kind of sleazy tactics are these.

Nothing wrong with that imo - FFP has always been a joke law made to protect the already big clubs

If he wants to play in this seasons World Cup then yeah he will

You should not be able to illegally send money to the player so he gives it to the club, period. At least make it so you have to go through the system.

Beefy

I don't think he ever said anything about VvD. When he was asked, he said that he couldn't say anything and if he did the media would twist it around. He also said that he was in Iceland when the story broke.

I meant him going for a meal with Van Dijk and now starting to get annoyed with Coutinho questions.

Feel sorry for Liverpool fans how Coutinho has acted though.

Spurs have signed Davinson Sánchez from Ajax on a six-year deal for a reported £42m.

Least the media can't keep hyping up Spurs for not spending now.

Hmm Mbappe?

TimmmV

You should not be able to illegally send money to the player so he gives it to the club, period. At least make it so you have to go through the system.

This is only a problem if you accept the premise that FFP is a valid law anyway. I really could't care less about a club exploiting a loophole if it is only to get around a law that is wrong in the first place

Without FFP, PSGs owners would have just given him money through the club directly

I meant him going for a meal with Van Dijk.

Feel sorry for Liverpool fans how Coutinho has acted though.

Meeting with a player is fine imo (and to be expected)

I wouldn't give a toss if Barca's manager/officials had been to a meal with Coutinho without Liverpools permission. I do give a toss that they are encouraging him to submit a transfer request and be uncooperative at the worst possible time for LFC's season

If Liverpool did this with VvD too then that would also be really shitty, and I would have a huge problem with LFC acting that way

Just seen that over 30% of that bid for Coutinho is in add-ons. Ridiculous Lol.

He's gotta stay this season, not least because I think he's about to establish himself as one of the top, top players in the world the same way Suarez did in his last season.

T-Rex.

Banned
Eh I don't for a second believe he'll refuse to play for the club when the window closes, especially with the WC upcoming. He's just doing everything possible to get the move because there's no guarantee that Barca will come back in for him next season, it's shit but it's just how it is.

I couldn't care less if he acts like a tit, just keep him. Otherwise this pattern will just keep repeating itself with our other players.

TimmmV

He didn't really act disrespectfully tho imo. Just a transfer request (all be it didn't need to be publicized). I think more of us are mad at barca instead of couts.

Nah, Coutinho is a dick for doing that too. Just less so than Barca

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt about his back injury - but he doesn't move and is suddenly better at the start of Sept, or it turns out he was exaggerating/faking it I'll be super pissed off

Am fine with players wanting to leave, but until thats agreed they still need to do the job we are paying them to do

Edit: Paul Joyce is reporting that Coutinho has told Klopp he doesn't want to play for LFC again, so yeah hes a dick. Bet he is happy to collect his wages though!

Well, I don't see it happening, but the ONLY team besides Barca Messi would go to is Man City. That way, Pep can win shit again and quietly take the credit.

Lashley

Can't wait for this. I just wish they'd add a proper Pro Clubs mode cos then I'd have no need to buy FIFA.

I can't wait. Master League is all I play, Career Mode and Pro Clubs on FIFA. MyClub and FUT is shite imo

Edit: Paul Joyce is reporting that Coutinho has told Klopp he doesn't want to play for LFC again, so yeah hes a dick. Bet he is happy to collect his wages though!

On twitter?

If he's content getting fined 3-4 months wages and not playing any football, more power to him, I guess.

Seems like a bit of a short-sighted thing to do though.

He didn't really act disrespectfully tho imo. Just a transfer request (all be it didn't need to be publicized). I think more of us are mad at barca instead of couts.

Nah, handing in the request the day before the season started and telling/allowing his people to put out all that bollocks about not getting along with Klopp and that is a right cunts move. Put a real downer on me tbh, didn't think he was the type at all.

Paul Joyce is reporting that Coutinho has told Klopp he doesn't want to play for LFC again, so yeah hes a dick. Bet he is happy to collect his wages though!

Wait what? I didn't know this.
Damn it all this news is just killing me. Especcially hate hearing all this shit about players not wanting to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom