• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labadal

Started thinking about our game from yesterday when I saw that there is a London derby, later. Chelsea are crazy for not keeping Loftus-Chhek. The guy was one of the better players on the pitch. What the hell were they thinking? They want to challenge on all fronts and this guy would have certainly been able to help.

Solanke wasn't amazing when he came on, but he looked lively enough.
No wonder England don't cut it when it's time for EC and WC.

And trust me - while the rest of the league/world mocks Chelsea's policy on loans and selling etc - NO ONE hates it more than the fans do. We would love to see Ake, Chalobah, Solanke, Christensen, RLC etc in the team.

The biggest problem is the gap between 17 to the early 20's. The early 20's is when you see if players are really good enough at top level but the FA has nothing to support this age period as they need to be playing mens football (It's also why we see so few Prem clubs developing managers). This is why we see so many loanees and also hard to keep hold of players during this period as they aren't part of the club system when getting the experience. This is really the first year that Chelsea have talent of a high enough quality to go to Prem clubs. English youth also don't do themselves any favours by refusing to go to European leagues.

Chelsea have just been trying to find a way around this problem, people can laugh all they like but thy are actively working on solving the problem and if they don't make Chelsea's first team they have a very high turnover of youth becoming professional players. City also have this problem but seem to going a different route by using Girona as their stepping stone club to keep them within their structure playing against top quality sides.

Moobabe

The biggest problem is the gap between 17 to the early 20's. The early 20's is when you see if players are really good enough at top level but the FA has nothing to support this age period as they need to be playing mens football (It's also why we see so few Prem clubs developing managers). This is why we see so many loanees and also hard to keep hold of players during this period as they aren't part of the club system when getting the experience. This is really the first year that Chelsea have talent of a high enough quality to go to Prem clubs. English youth also don't do themselves any favours by refusing to go to European leagues.

Chelsea have just been trying to find a way around this problem, people can laugh all they like but thy are actively working on solving the problem and if they don't make Chelsea's first team they have a very high turnover of youth becoming professional players. City also have this problem but seem to going a different route by using Girona as their stepping stone club to keep them within their structure playing against top quality sides.

Great post, it is a massive issue for clubs. I look at someone like Rashford who was just chucked in by Van Gaal when there were NO other options for United. Would he have been given then same chance if Ibra or Lukaku were at the club at that time? Who knows.

I use to be a huge fan of Chelsea's policy with youth players, they were like a factory that bought up the brightest talent and loaned them out to develop and sold them at a relatively nice profit, good stuff from a financial prospective - worked quite well with FM too lol. The problem is that the board just doesn't know how to retain the best of those youth when they're about to reach that peak age and they're home-grown. Chalobah leaving is a bit of a shock, Ruben will probably be next when he returns next season. Bertrand Traore was also sold this season, he has bags of potential. Is Charly Musonda still at the club?

Musonda is still at the club - was on the bench vs Burnley and probably would have got a decent chunk of playing time had Cahill not decided to get himself sent off.

Started thinking about our game from yesterday when I saw that there is a London derby, later. Chelsea are crazy for not keeping Loftus-Chhek. The guy was one of the better players on the pitch. What the hell were they thinking? They want to challenge on all fronts and this guy would have certainly been able to help.

Solanke wasn't amazing when he came on, but he looked lively enough.
No wonder England don't cut it when it's time for EC and WC.

RLC, I think, needed to go on loan. He's been in and around the first team for a while but, for whatever reason, wasn't being given the chance. I still think he's got what it takes to be a top player for Chelsea - quick, strong, good passer - but needs to be playing regular football to hone his very obviously talent.

If we sell him then I'm just gonna kick off.

near

Gold Member
Musonda is still at the club - was on the bench vs Burnley and probably would have got a decent chunk of playing time had Cahill not decided to get himself sent off.

At least he's still at your club then, I think he could turn into a right beast of a player.

I don't lay much blame at Conte's door to be honest - he's seen the managerial merry go round at Chelsea before and knows that if you don't deliver immediate results you'll lose your job.

That's why I added, that it points back towards Conte, but also at least partly to the board and management. It's just not feasible at Chelsea.

Moobabe

At least he's still at your club then, I think he could turn into a right beast of a player.

Yeah, he and Boga are very exciting talents.

That's why I added, that it points back towards Conte, but also at least partly to the board and management. It's just not feasible at Chelsea.

Completely agree - we just have 0 self awareness as a football club. The sales of KDB, Lukaku and Matic very clearly prove that.

Labadal

Moobabe: The problem is, it's not only him (RLC). There are plenty others. Lukaku being a prime example. I'm not saying this is a Chelsea exclusive thing, talents leave and become good at other clubs, yet there seems to be some sort of strategy at Chelsea. When this sort of thing becomes all about the money, I feel that it will hurt the club in the end.

_________

I need Ayoze to score 15 goals for my FPL team, but I want Hudds to win.

Moobabe

Moobabe: The problem is, it's not only him (RLC). There are plenty others. Lukaku being a prime example. I'm not saying this is a Chelsea exclusive thing, talents leave and become good at other clubs, yet there seems to be some sort of strategy at Chelsea. When this sort of thing becomes all about the money, I feel that it will hurt the club in the end.

_________

I need Ayoze to score 15 goals for my FPL team, but I want Hudds to win.

Again, completely agree. We're not worried about what a player might become when he moves on, only what he cost us initially and what we can get for him when he moves.

I hope that Conte does stay at the club for years, to actually allow him to build the team properly - especially as players become more and more expensive.

near

Gold Member

Thing is while it isn't an entirely sustainable strategy, Chelsea's production of developing youth players is better than most elite clubs, and you always meet the quota, I don't really see it hurting you guys long term. So long as the profits keep rolling in Roman isn't going to care about selling these kids and even repurchasing some them again in the future because the books are balanced. As opposed to a club like Man City who've sold developed home-grown talent this season like Kelechi Iheanacho, Olivier Ntcham and even Enes Unal and have fewer bright prospects.

Shahed

We're so bad. Lack quality everywhere.

And I don't think we can play Gayle in the Premier League. He just doesn't get the space and time to run in behind, and he can't hold the ball up to save his life

pbsapeer

Banned
How long until Antalyaspor stops paying his wages? Soon he will have to set up a gofundme page just to visit drip doctors.
Hahahahaha!
nasri-drip6.png

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Nice little play to result in the goal, this whipping it into the box business hadn't been working for us for the rest of the game. Still think Newcastle can pinch one.

Shahed

This has nothing to do with Rafa. These players are Championship tier at best.
Well it's the same team we played in the Championship. I'm not sure what people expect. We were Lways going to need 6-8 players to come right into the first team.

Audioboxer

This has nothing to do with Rafa. These players are Championship tier at best.

You're playing Huddersfield, this is a championship match. I give Rafa cred for promotion as Newcastle are my boyhood team, but he's always been shit in the PL.

Mike Ashley is a disease though, until Newcastle get rid of him, eeek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom