• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Fantastic player and presumably he starts playing behind Sandro? but what happens with Klaassen who's a similar type of player? what happens with Rooney?

*Clock goes to 88th minute*

ngZjzcB.png

If it keeps going on though, either the club are failing, fans aren't reporting on other fans or something is going wrong. I should have been more nuanced, I am not advocating for 3 points dropped every time hooligans show up. Repeated behaviour.

Some clubs literally have a reputation for shit like above. So it has to be stopped or curbed at some point so said reputations do not go on for years.

But that's the thing, it does not. It used to happen way more often than this, and after a particularly bad episode, the away stands were closed for a few weeks (i think might even have been one or two months, forgot), and when it returned there was a mandatory away card system, to easier identify people.

There has been bad examples since then, but way way way less, and the club has been good at dealing with it.

The clubs should do whatever they can, but I don't think point deductions is anywhere near on the cards here or should be. Brøndby have a way worse history of this, and never had points deducted. As much as I hate them, I think that is fair, and never called for point deductions for them either.

Icolin

Banned
Let's say Coutinho leaves during this window... How the fuck do we replace him?

We've been linked with Hakim Ziyech of Ajax, who's a damn good player at the moment (best attacking mid in the Eredivisie IMO) and has very good potential, but he's not a replacement for someone as good as Coutinho; no one is, really.

Please don't leave, Phil.

We've been with Hakim Ziyech of Ajax, who's a damn good player at the moment (best attacking mid in the Eredivisie IMO) and has very good potential, but he's not a replacement for someone as good as Coutinho; no one is, really.

Please don't leave, Phil.

One would hope that's a player to add to the squad, not replacing Coutinho.

Icolin

Banned
On the actual match... That wasn't exactly well played either.

SWMjLOR.gif

b60aSpg.gif

lol

That second gif is...wow. What an awful challenge. (did that player get red-carded?)

I should watch more Danish soccer. Used to watch FC Copenhagen back when they had Christian Bolanos.

One would hope that's a player to add to the squad, not replacing Coutinho.

Yeah, but perhaps it's a move with an eye to the future, when Coutinho might move on; bring in Ziyech and keep Countinho for the time being, and sell Countinho once Ziyech has proven he can replace him.

Nope. Erik Johansson got a yellow only.

Bolanos was cool for quite some time, I was at his debut match where he took a huge dive to win the winning penalty against Brøndby. Good times. Bryan Oviedo is the real Costa Rican GOAT though.

Audioboxer

But that's the thing, it does not. It used to happen way more often than this, and after a particularly bad episode, the away stands were closed for a few weeks (i think might even have been one or two months, forgot), and when it returned there was a mandatory away card system, to easier identify people.

There has been bad examples since then, but way way way less, and the club has been good at dealing with it.

The clubs should do whatever they can, but I don't think point deductions is anywhere near on the cards here or should be. Brøndby have a way worse history of this, and never had points deducted. As much as I hate them, I think that is fair, and never called for point deductions for them either.

I agree with what you're saying then. I made that comment without even really knowing who the clubs were and their history. If anything my view is a hypothetical of if behaviour gets that bad and keeps happening within a short to mid term period a club could be penalised in a way that hurts everyone. Points.

I accept some hooligans aren't really 'real fans' and just want the fights and shit stirring, but many will still love their club and losing points will hurt even them. I hope at least I've cleared my views up a bit that no I don't think a threat of point loss should be on the table quickly or flippantly.

If anything it should be Arsenal getting docked for spawning AFTV. That would hurt their top 4 dreams so we can't be having that. AFTV is so bad it's good too.

You think he'll get that many minutes?

Some Everton fans have already twigged, won't take the boss long.

I'm cautiously optimistic he'll actually do quite well and might even bag a few goals against rivals of Man Utd to help out. Then again it could be further proof Rooney has just completely burnt out.

Pachimari

I'm glad Brøndby IF beat the shit out of that scum club that is FC Copenhagen. Now, let's see them further down the table for the rest of the season.

Icolin

Banned
Nope. Erik Johansson got a yellow only.

Bolanos was cool for quite some time, I was at his debut match where he took a huge dive to win the winning penalty against Brøndby. Good times. Bryan Oviedo is the real Costa Rican GOAT though.

He's dived a few times for Vancouver when he's been here, lol.

But my god is he a great player. It seems like it's almost impossible to get the ball off him once he has it; such great control. Plus he's excellent at setting the tempo of the game, be it speeding it up, or slowing it down. Great set piece taker too.

And Bryan Oviedo isn't the Costa Rican GOAT; that's Bryan Ruiz IMO.

Oh and only a yellow for that disgusting tackle? Yikes.

I'm glad Brøndby IF beat the shit out of that scum club that is FC Copenhagen.

Just a reminder that Brøndy fans threw dead rats at Copenhagen players a few months ago and them fighting the police is standard stuff for every derby match, before you pronounce Brøndby as some moral champions.

GMtBF5n.gif

You are still the scum champions.

He's dived a few times for Vancouver when he's been here, lol.

But my god is he a great player. It seems like it's almost impossible to get the ball off him once he has it; such great control. Plus he's excellent at setting the tempo of the game, be it speeding it up, or slowing it down. Great set piece taker too.

And Bryan Oviedo isn't the Costa Rican GOAT; that's Bryan Ruiz IMO.

Oh and only a yellow for that disgusting tackle? Yikes.

Haha he is the GOAT for us. Bolanos kind of soured a lot of peoples opinion of him, the last years time he was here. He was one hell of a lazy fucker for some time.

King_Moc

Banned
I see so many penalties and commentators say "great penalty" and it's "great" simply because it went in. It's a shit penalty literally if the keeper goes the other way most of the time.

Great pens are top and bottom corners only.

I'm not sure about this. I don't think the likes of Le Tissier, Lambert, Balotelli or Cantona were putting it in the top corner every time, and i don't think they have a miss between them. There's more to it, like reading the keeper, making him misread you etc.

Fantastic player and presumably he starts playing behind Sandro? but what happens with Klaassen who's a similar type of player? what happens with Rooney?

If Koeman has any sense, straight to the glue factory

Coutinho is overrated but Liverpool are not in a position to attract anyone decent so I can understand why they're ancy over him going. £100m or so for him is quite simply daft money and should be hoovered up. Mane is the one that Barca should be buying and I prefer Firminho to Coutinho anyway.

DBT85

I'm not sure about this. I don't think the likes of Le Tissier, Lambert, Balotelli or Cantona were putting it in the top corner every time, and i don't think they have a miss between them. There's more to it, like reading the keeper, making him misread you etc.

If you put it in the corners it doesn't matter what the keeper does, it's going to take something magic to save it. Anything else and you're taking a chance. It might go in, and maybe you've "given him the eyes" and never missed one. That still doesn't make them great penalties.

Even Shearer said that you know where you're going to put it and you should never change your mind. Don't look at the keeper, just do it.

The odds are stacked in your favour in the first place.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Coutinho is overrated but Liverpool are not in a position to attract anyone decent so I can understand why they're ancy over him going. £100m or so for him is quite simply daft money and should be hoovered up. Mane is the one that Barca should be buying and I prefer Firminho to Coutinho anyway.

Spot on.

Audioboxer

Savage lol. Keep in mind they do have CL football this year.

slider

Let's say Coutinho leaves during this window... How the fuck do we replace him?

The "talk" amongst West Ham fans is that Liverpool would defos smash and grab Lanzini from us. Doesn't stand up to scrutiny obviously. But you know what talk is like. It's cheap, bonesmccoy, it's cheap.

The "talk" amongst West Ham fans is that Liverpool would defos smash and grab Lanzini from us. Doesn't stand up to scrutiny obviously. But you know what talk is like. It's cheap, bonesmccoy, it's cheap.

It sounds like the kind of last minute move we would make!

Not that he's shit mind, dunno much about him, but after a 'record breaking window' was hyped up someone from West Ham just feels ugh.

Audioboxer

Well, they have 2 games of Champions League football this year. They might get 6 more.

They'll get through. The only goal for all English teams in the CL is trying to do better than Arsenal. If Arsenal get left as the only EPL hope in the CL, then the EPL gets further embarrassed in Europe lol.

Edit: Dumb ass me, Arsenal are Europa this year. lol.

They do but they're behind Spurs in the queue for players coming to England and are currently trying and failing to throw £80m at a bog standard box-to-box midfielder who plays for a red bull franchise.

Maybe there is something wrong with me but I'd rather sign for Liverpool right now than Spurs. Maybe it's just because I like Klopp and have no rival issues admitting that. The guy is a great laugh. Pochettino is a class act but he needs to lighten up a bit.

In saying that Mourinho needs to lighten up a bit too. Too much punished Jose as of late. Yeah yeah, siege mentality, but Mou we need more modern day gifs of you laughing and being cheeky rather than just from your Chelsea days. You can't be whining about Europa League football and the top clubs not being in Europe this year. More snark and cheek, less crying and moaning Jose this year please.

sammex

Spurs have a really low wage structure, they don't even have anyone on 100k a week - Liverpool will pay high wages if they think you're worth it. That alone gives them some pulling power over Spurs. I'd say it's not as clear cut as one over the other.

(and if you think Keita is bog standard you haven't been paying attention)

DBT85

Edit: Dumb ass me, Arsenal are Europa this year. lol.
Like you forgot lol.

Maybe there is something wrong with me but I'd rather sign for Liverpool right now than Spurs. Maybe it's just because I like Klopp and have no rival issues admitting that. The guy is a great laugh. Pochettino is a class act but he needs to lighten up a bit.

Were I a player with the two as a choice I think I'd go Spurs. For me Liverpool are by far and away the bigger club but Spurs are closer to winning something. I don't think Liverpool would pay enough more than Spurs to compensate for that.

Kyoufu

Dwight Gayle is injured. We're absolutely fucked if we don't sign a striker before the window closes.

A couple of weeks ago I had a dream we lost our first 5 games of the season. Every football dream I've had has came true. Send help.

You can't underestimate the London factor neither. A lot of foreign players and their families would rather live there than the Liverpool/Manchester area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom