• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar FC

I'm more worried about Keita next year tbh, he has a release clause of 48m and all of the big clubs will be sniffing around him at that price.

That will definitely be the case, but I don't think I have ever seen Keita play outside of a couple highlight videos. Pulisic is my guy.

Jack cw

Watzke could be happy with it, but I view it as some kind of curse because we inherited now the tough negotiation position Barca was in before (and still is). I'm pretty sure Dortmund wants a replacement for Dembele, as they still plan to sell Mor. Reus is just very injury prone (and tbh not that good anymore because of that).

I understand the concerns but Dortmunds squad is excellent this season even without Dembele and I think BVB did very well in this case to be honest. Since Dortund is a joint stock company there are shareholders that might have influenced the decision to sell him but what is the alternative? Is Dembele alone worth enough to reject 150m? BVB needs to win CL twice to earn that money, so they made an incredibly good deal.

Different situation than last season wth Hummels, Gündogan and Mhkytarian. Dembele had 4 years left in his contract and they never negotiated with Barca. BVB gave a price tag and Barca tried all the cheap and dirty tricks to lower that tag but in the end with no success. Similiar to Coutinho and that cunt Pique even defends and supports such shit behavior.

I really am disappointed in Barca and how they try to poach players from other clubs. It's just sad to see how professional Real is working and what a shit show Barca has become in the last 3 years.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
What a ridiculous amount. I guess Liverpool fans can sleep now or are Barca still in the market for Coutinho?

There have been suggestions that they are still in for Coutinho, but they are going to have to give Liverpool the same as Dembele or more. I can't see them spending that much.

Dadasch

I understand the concerns but Dortmunds squad is excellent this season even without Dembele and I think BVB did very well in this case to be honest. Since Dortund is a joint stock company there are shareholders that might have influenced the decision to sell him but what is the alternative? Is Dembele alone worth enough to reject 150m? BVB needs to win CL twice to earn that money, so they made an incredibly good deal.

Different situation than last season wth Hummels, Gündogan and Mhkytarian. Dembele had 4 years left in his contract and they never negotiated with Barca. BVB gave a price tag and Barca tried all the cheap and dirty tricks to lower that tag but in the end with no success. Similiar to Coutinho and that cunt Pique even defends and supports such shit behavior.

I really am disappointed in Barca and how they try to poach players from other clubs. It's just sad to see how professional Real is working and what a shit show Barca has become in the last 3 years.
I agree with you mostly - in the end it is a good deal but I refuse to believe this is the best thing that could happen to us. I would have prefered at least another year with Dembele, despite the remaining squad we have.
Dortmund is certainly still a good team without Dembele, but he is a "Unterschiedsspieler" as some called it (player who can make the difference) and losing somebody like that without a replacement is nothing to be happy about imo.

Oh and fuck Barcelona, absolutely.

El Topo

I agree with you mostly - in the end it is a good deal but I refuse to believe this is the best thing that could happen to us. I would have prefered at least another year with Dembele, despite the remaining squad we have.
Dortmund is certainly still a good team without Dembele, but he is a "Unterschiedsspieler" as some called it (player who can make the difference) and losing somebody like that without a replacement is nothing to be happy about imo.

Felix Götze is available. 40m and he is yours.

Dadasch

lol
Götze was such a big talent...what a waste. Hopefully he will have a big comeback this season in our 4-3-3.

Edit: Fabian Götze seems to be a great striker here
Great goal

Own goal tho

Jack cw

they only get best götze over my dead body

Dead is what Götze was at Bayern :D
guardiola-hugging-gotze.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
lol
Götze was such a big talent...what a waste. Hopefully he will have a big comeback this season in our 4-3-3.

You have no idea how angry I was when he didn't come to Liverpool last year, I couldn't believe we signed Mane instead. Guess that worked out for the best. If Gotze doesn't recapture his form then it will be the biggest waste of talent I have ever seen.

West Brom sign Oliver Burke from Leipzig for £15m.

He's supposed to be good isn't he? Why's he gone to West Brom?

I suppose it's easier to be seen when you are starting in a Premier League team. He couldn't have picked a worse team though. I'm sure the security is nice but even West Brom fans probably can't stand that football. I was reading last year how every single Pulis team has just given up after they reach 40 points - which is usually early April.

Makeda

Aparently he hasn't had the best of time in RB Leipzig.
Also dont forget that Burke grew up in England and probably has family still there, so going back to England even at West Brom could be seen as a win.

Lastly, Pulis has a decent enough squad of players who should be hungry to prove themselves or get game time (Livermore, Chadli, H.R.Kanu, Barry & Jay Rodriguez to name a few)

TimmmV

btw why is Mignolet starter at Liverpool? Karius can't be that bad, because what I've seen from Mignolet this season is REALLY bad.
Transfer was probably a bit too early for Karius - I liked his performance at Mainz a lot, but apparently he should have stayed there at least one season more.

Have to give Mig his credit and say that without him last season Liverpool wouldn't have gotten in the top 4, he made some very crucial saves that preserved wins at the end of the season that were really really good.

Given how regularly he used to make mistakes
and doing those fucking dragbacks that always scare the shit out of everyone
, I'll always have reservations about him, but he's earned his place as first choice over the last few months

Karius is probably a perfectly fine keeper too, but he didn't start the season too well, and had pundits putting too much criticism and pressure on him very quickly, which was a shame. It doesn't really feel like he was given much of a fair chance, especially given how many mistakes Mig has made over his Liverpool career

Dead is what Götze was at Bayern :D
guardiola-hugging-gotze.jpg

hahahaha

Also this. My guess is the next week is going to be unbearably tedious with Coutinho news.

I just read that Arsenal will have Sanchez and Koscielny back for the game this Sunday, thats annoying. Fingers crossed that they are totally unfit, and cant cope with Mane

Jack cw

RB bought Augustin from PSG, Bruma from Roma and Laimer from RB Salzburg. With Poulsen, Sabitzer and Werner there is just no place for Burke. To be fair he had one good game last year. I think he could be pretty decent if he plays more games though.

Markitron

That will forever be Deisler.

Never even heard of him, which probably supports your point. Assume he was a German player?

Lastly, Pulis has a decent enough squad of players who should be hungry to prove themselves or get game time (Livermore, Chadli, H.R.Kanu, Barry & Jay Rodriguez to name a few)

Pulis could take that 90's All-Star team that had Gabby Batistuta and Ronaldo up front, and still finish with 44 points over a season.

Have to give Mig his credit and say that without him last season Liverpool wouldn't have gotten in the top 4, he made some very crucial saves that preserved wins at the end of the season that were really really good.

Given how regularly he used to make mistakes
and doing those fucking dragbacks that always scare the shit out of everyone
, I'll always have reservations about him, but he's earned his place as first choice over the last few months

Karius is probably a perfectly fine keeper too, but he didn't start the season too well, and had pundits putting too much criticism and pressure on him very quickly, which was a shame. It doesn't really feel like he was given much of a fair chance, especially given how many mistakes Mig has made over his Liverpool career

I haven't given up on Karius either. It's true that Mignolet is fantastic at stopping shots, his penalty saving record is insane, but he is woefully inept in absolutely every other area. With all the games coming thick and fast, I'd like to see Karius and Ward get a run out. Speaking of Ward, I think it was absolute madness not letting him rejoin Huddersfield this season. He would have been their first choice and got a tonne of experience. Then we could make an informed decision next year.

And yes the Coutinho news is gonna be unbearable. Even if they have no chance of signing him, they are going to have to make it look like they are going all out. I'm expecting leaks about how Klopp keeps taking Phil's sandwicheds from the canteen fridge and called his baby ugly at the Christmas Party.

El Topo

Never even heard of him, which probably supports your point. Assume he was a German player?

Yes. One of the greatest talents I have ever seen. Unfortunately injuries and depression led to his retirement in 2007. I hope that wherever he is, whatever he is doing, he is well. He seemed like an incredibly nice person.

Markitron

Yes. One of the greatest talents I have ever seen. Unfortunately injuries and depression led to his retirement in 2007. I hope that wherever he is, whatever he is doing, he is well. He seemed like an incredibly nice person. I hope that wherever he is, whatever he is doing, he is well. He seemed like an incredibly nice person.

It's shocking that it's taken until 2017 for people to talk about mental health issues in football. The whole lad-bible banter culture is so fucking toxic. Not sure what it's like in Germany, but it's pretty bad in England.

Dadasch

You have no idea how angry I was when he didn't come to Liverpool last year, I couldn't believe we signed Mane instead. Guess that worked out for the best. If Gotze doesn't recapture his form then it will be the biggest waste of talent I have ever seen.
Dude, Mane is great...Liverpool dodged the bullet there. :D

btw he plays in midfield in our 4-3-3. First Bundesliga match was quite good, hopefully he will adapt fast and will get even better.

Also this. My guess is the next week is going to be unbearably tedious with Coutinho news.
They are so desperate you just can't really predict how much they're going to offer. Hopefully it's a lot at least. :p

Makeda

Pulis could take that 90's All-Star team that had Gabby Batistuta and Ronaldo up front, and still finish with 44 points over a season.

That's nonsense....

Pulis would never play two upfront. :D

Mingolet debate:
I'm totally confused why we never let Ward continue at Huddersfield. It would have given him vital premier league experience and also give us a better chance to test out Marius as our goalkeeping force would be a bit more limited.
Speaking of baffling decisions... Let's not forget that we still have Bogdan on the books.

Markitron

They are so desperate you just can't really predict how much they're going to offer. Hopefully it's a lot at least. :p

I don't care how much they offer, I just don't want them to get their way.

Speaking of baffling decisions... Let's not forget that we still have Bogdan on the books.

I did not know that, that's insane. There's an easy way to get rid though, I'm fairly certain he will disintegrate if exposed to direct sunlight.

Completely agree about Ward, see above.

casiopao

Juventus on the verge of signing Benedikt Howedes from Schalke for loan with opt to buy 10 million.

For Bundesliga fans, how good is him there guys?

Dadasch

Juventus on the verge of signing Benedikt Howedes from Schalke for loan with opt to buy 10 million.

Not that good. Too slow for my taste, but I can imagine him being quite useful for Juventus or any italian team with a deep-standing defensive chain.

The Dembele transfer fee is nuts and as I said previously, it's revolting that Dortmund after one year will profit so much from him (instead of Rennes) but I would rather pay that idiotic sum for him than whatever United paid for Pogba.

Jack cw

It's shocking that it's taken until 2017 for people to talk about mental health issues in football. The whole lad-bible banter culture is so fucking toxic. Not sure what it's like in Germany, but it's pretty bad in England.

Our former national team keeper Robert Enke committed suicide after suffering years of depression. It really was a shock a couple of years ago in Germany, one of our better known referees also had an suicide attempt.

Football and Sport in general is still in the age of roman empire when it comes to social and cultural development, as well as ethics. I mean, we pretend there are no homosexuals in our sport or really sick people who suffer from mental diseases. Only a few weeks ago we had a debate about women as referees in Bundesliga and our only female ref did a perfect job handling Ribery's banter and we still discuss meta bullshit about the role of a woman in a sport dominated by men, when society is lightyears ahead. Instead of using our brains for a second we morally degenerate into the old plebs from over 2000 years ago shouting kill or live.

We have significant structural problems in football and professional sport like doping, bribery, no European employment law for club football, ultras that seperate more and more from the clubs fighting an illusional battle against economical development, racism, chauvinism, lobbies, discrimination, financial fairplay fail, agents becoming the mightiest persons in sport, etc.

It sure is entertainment, it always was, but has become a business and while I love football and my club I see the huge degeneration in morale and how we all act and simply ignore all the underlying problems. I could post hundreds of pages but not only Neymar showed us what is fundamentally wrong in football at the moment.

El Topo

The Dembele transfer fee is nuts and as I said previously, it's revolting that Dortmund after one year will profit so much from him (instead of Rennes) but I would rather pay that idiotic sum for him than whatever United paid for Pogba.

Rennes gets 20m if the deal goes through. I don't think it should be underestimated that he got experience, skills and knowledge at Dortmund that he would not have gotten at Rennes.

Jack cw

10m is perfectly fine.
I mean as long as he was captain in Schalke, the club never really had any success. I don't blame him for what went wrong, but there is a reason why Schalkes new coach degraded him. He is a solid defender and profited a lot from the fact that Hummels and Boateng organized Germany's defence. Bundesliga has sure better CB's but for that money you get an experienced CB and Germany international.

TimmmV

By that logic - Rennes only played him in their first team for a year as well. Of all the disgusting things about a €150m transfer, that seems an odd part to focus on

casiopao

10m is perfectly fine.
I mean as long as we was captain in Schalke, the club never really had any success. I don't blame him for what went wrong, but there is a reason why Schalkes new coach degraded him. He is a solid defender and profited a lot from the fact that Hummels and Boateng organized Germany's defence. Bundesliga has sure better CB's but for that money you get a experienced CB and Germany national.

You don't get to 44 caps for Germany if you suck. Very solid defender iirc.

Not that good. Too slow for my taste, but I can imagine him being quite useful for Juventus or any italian team with a deep-standing defensive chain.

Guess, this is not a bad signing. And adding more CB to our old CB group is always going to be a good thing even if i would love getting De vrij more here.

la_briola

They are getting in total ~35 million, they'll be fine.

It's not a odd part at all. It's to defend the clubs who actually spend millions developing youth and then get thrown under the bus by rich clubs. I understand fans of rich clubs don't give two fucks about it cause it's just easy to buy anything but it's not my stance at all, probably very influenced cause I'm a supporter of one of the biggest youth developers clubs in the world that has been buffeted cause of this nor it is ever compensated properly by the huge amounts of money that they are transferred in their careers. Football should start redistributing money and youth development is the primary example of something that isn't properly defended.

And in no way that one year performance warranted such extreme evaluation, much less he got skills he didn't had before.

It is 21st century colonialism. Unequal power and economic exploration. To some this is "fine". To me is disgusting.

DBT85

I know. Pogba has won nothing and shown no signs of ability. Waste of money.

TimmmV

It's not a odd part at all. It's to defend the clubs who actually spend millions developing youth and then get thrown under the bus by rich clubs. I understand fans of rich clubs don't give two fucks about it cause it's just easy to buy anything but it's not my stance at all, probably very influenced cause I'm a supporter of one of the biggest youth developers clubs in the world that has been buffeted cause of this nor it is ever compensated properly by the huge amounts of money that they are transferred in their careers. Football should start redistributing money and youth development is the primary example of something that isn't properly defended.

And in no way that one year performance warranted such extreme evaluation, much less he got skills he didn't had before.

It is 21st century colonialism. Unequal power and economic exploration. To some this is "fine". To me is disgusting.

I totally care about it, and think the ridiculous transfer fees in football have been disgusting for a very long time. But I also have an ounce of perspective - Rennes are getting a % of this transfer and still end up making a lot of money on a player that only played in their first team for a year too.

Like, its the strangest part of this transfer to focus on. If you thought €150m on a footballer is disgusting, or paying so much for Dembeles potential is wrong then yeah, both of those viewpoints are fine - but it appears you're ok with the huge amount of money being spent (which Barca ultimately got from fucking Qatar of all places btw), and just want less of it to go to Dortmund and more to go to Rennes?

I think its also very arguable that Rennes actually got more money from this by getting a % through Dortmund. Everyone knows that if he had stayed at Rennes for another year instead of moving to Dortmund, he would probably have moved this summer for like €30m or something, Rennes probably did better financially out of this arrangement than they would have had Dortmund never been involved

I totally care about it, and think the ridiculous transfer fees in football have been disgusting for a very long time. But I also have an ounce of perspective - Rennes are getting a % of this transfer and still end up making a lot of money on a player that only played in their first team for a year too.

They make a lot yes, and it's a rare ocassion where they are were able to keep rights, but that is not the normal practice (I think you can't even share in PL) and I still think the split is unfair. To the user who said 30M is fine, well then let's switch sides. 30M for Dortmund and 90 for Rennes. Is it still fine? Cause Dortmund doubles their evaluation in one year. Seems more than fair.
Like, its the strangest part of this transfer to focus on. If you thought €150m on a footballer is disgusting, or paying so much for Dembeles potential is wrong then yeah, both of those viewpoints are fine - but it appears you're ok with the huge amount of money being spent (which Barca ultimately got from fucking Qatar of all places btw), and just want less of it to go to Dortmund and more to go to Rennes?

I am all for a hard cap for salaries and transfer fees. There is no regulation about it, so ultimately there's not much for me battle. I do think it's better to see Barcelona spend ridiculous amounts of money and inflate the market cause this will probably help smaller clubs to sell better and disallows bigger ones to keep spending as much as they care. It's not bad to think that they can only get 2 players for 250M. That to me actually allows for some competitive balance.

Neymar is a great example. At the end of the day, between clubs and agents, Barcelona paid almost 95M€ for him. That's a lot of dough. His career in Barcelona allowed him to double that value. I don't think that's terrible unfair.

I think its also very arguable that Rennes actually got more money from this by getting a % through Dortmund. Everyone knows that if he had stayed at Rennes for another year instead of moving to Dortmund, he would probably have moved this summer for like €30m or something, Rennes probably did better financially out of this arrangement than they would have had Dortmund never been involved

And why would that be fair though? That sounds like such a crystallized version of football. Rennes can only sell for 30M. I dont know why. I'm not saying he should be sold by 120 but that seems like a monstrous difference to accept. But ok, let's accept that reality. Then it should keep some future bird rights to capitalize on future transfer fees.

An example of present news. Just today, in the news it's mentioned that West Ham doesn't want to pay more than 37M € for Carvalho. He has a release clause of 45 M€ and Sporting doesn't want to release him for less than that. What has happened was that we didn't used him in the last two games cause of some mysterious injuries. A player we developed since 10 years, who has been our captain, who's from the starting eleven of the euro winner, has been removed from the lineup cause some rich club came and flailed a bunch of money and now is mostly pressuring the player and the club to accept their offer. This is all kinds of unacceptable and mental. He is one of our best players and we can't play him right now. Why? Cause some random club knows they can pressure the player with massive wages. Maybe they hope to sell him for 70M in the next year...

MikeBison

For what it's worth (very little) Micky Quinn and IndyKaila and a load of others are saying something will come out at 8pm regarding LFC.

Can't wait to see the announcement about our Dunkin' donuts sponsorship being extended.

Markitron

For what it's worth (very little) Micky Quinn and IndyKaila and a load of others are saying something will come out at 8pm regarding LFC.

Can't wait to see the announcement about our Dunkin' donuts sponsorship being extended.

This is where I stopped reading :)

IndyKaila is the worst ITK going.

Barca making a 35M offer for Di Maria, this club is a joke.

That can't be real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom