• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

Imagine thinking the PL isn't the best league.
3o6MbciekJua3TfxPa.gif

MrS

Banned
Technically, it isn't (as in technical skills/displays), but it's far more entertaining than other leagues where the winners are 1 of 2 clubs every single year. Any league with Arsenal in it is the best league in the world anyway.
That's what makes PL the best league in the world. Any team can win on their day regardless of the opposition. The only thing that comes close is La Liga and only 2 teams can realistically win that, as you said. Serie A is only good when Napoli play. Bundesliga is weak. Ligue 1 is a joke. MLS is an abomination.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Ah.

So a player.

Pogba, hazard, De gea, kane, alli, eriksen, kante, smalling all seem to be staying.

My point is that when a player reaches the absolute peak, there usually isn't much that can be done to keep Barca and Real away. Now PSG are moving into that space too.

Audioboxer

Few release clauses in most other leagues.

Also, apart from continue who's leaving the prem?

IUTTysG.gif

Mobile phone autocorrect? lol

That's what makes PL the best league in the world. Any team can win on their day regardless of the opposition. The only thing that comes close is La Liga and only 2 teams can realistically win that, as you said. Serie A is only good when Napoli play. Bundesliga is weak. Ligue 1 is a joke.

Exactly. When Huddersfield Town do the double over Arsenal, minus Sanchez, it will let the world see why this is the best league.

That's what makes PL the best league in the world. Any team can win on their day regardless of the opposition. The only thing that comes close is La Liga and only 2 teams can realistically win that, as you said. Serie A is only good when Napoli play. Bundesliga is weak. Ligue 1 is a joke. MLS is an abomination.

This is true. Apart from Real, Barca matches, la liga is boring. Bundesliga is a joke. PSG ligue 1 is lol. Series A seems more competitive this year though. Still not as watchable.
EPL is way more entertaining even though it's more physical than technical.
MLS lmao. Doesn't even deserve to be mentioned with these leagues.

This is true. Apart from Real, Barca matches, la liga is boring. Bundesliga is a joke. PSG ligue 1 is lol. Series A seems more competitive this year though. Still not as watchable.
EPL is way more entertaining even though it's more physical than technical.
MLS lmao. Doesn't even deserve to be mentioned with these leagues.

Watch mid-table La Liga, nothing boring about it, the teams always go for the win unlike EPL. La liga doesn't have the exposure or production of the EPL but the league is very competitive.

Real Sociedad
Athletic Bilbao
Villareal
Valencia (forget their off season last year)
Celta

Tubie

I'm the opposite of most here I guess.

I find myself bored to death from most premier league matches I watch, while I can enjoy even mid to low table La Liga matches.

And I can't quite put to words the reason why.

edit: yea what Frustrated_me said.

Watch mid-table La Liga, nothing boring about it, the teams always go for the win unlike EPL. La liga doesn't have the exposure or production of the EPL but the league is very competitive.

Real Sociedad
Athletic Bilbao
Villareal
Celta

I tried to watch Sevilla, Villarreal etc matches but they weren't as fun. The tempo isn't there. PL is really fast paced unless both teams decide to shut shop which doesn't happen much unless WBA or a Mourinho team is involved.

Audioboxer

Sociedad only because they had the expertise and skills of Moyes at their disposal.

ZGnzBCI.gif

The career of Moyes since leaving Everton... Maybe Sir Alex had the master troll plan all along, to wreck the career of a fellow Scot for the bantz.

I find myself bored to death from most premier league matches I watch, while I can enjoy even mid to low table La Liga matches.

If you prefer and appreciate a technical game, with skill and beautiful passing you can't beat Spanish football. The Prem league is more clumsy, more unpredictable and usually ends up with drama and banter due to teams shitting the bed, nerves taking over, dodgy passing and tactics went wrong. It's more of a beautiful car crash at times. With some moments of magic sprinkled in too, as we do still have some technical geniuses on the pitch.

Probably a more physical game too, which some prefer over some of the outrageous diving and handbags abroad. We still have that too, but in some leagues, it seems like every second game is some elaborate drama/play to con the ref.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
ZGnzBCI.gif

The career of Moyes since leaving Everton... Maybe Sir Alex had the master troll plan all along, to wreck the career of a fellow Scot for the bantz.

I'd love to know exactly what entitled him to the United job in the first place, how exactly does finishing high-mid table for a decade qualify someone to replace one of the most successful managers of all time? Almost getting into the champions league one time is the only thing he had achieved.

David Moyes at Everton in a nutshell:

echzz290614moyesmural-1.jpg

Audioboxer

I'd love to know exactly what entitled him to the United job in the first place, how exactly does finishing high-mid table for a decade qualify someone to replace one of the most successful managers of all time? Almost getting into the champions league one time is the only thing he had achieved.

David Moyes at Everton in a nutshell:

Pretty much, but he was decent for Everton in an era where they just weren't going to manage to challenge the giants in Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool. Now Everton probably do see themselves in with a chance for the top 6. Koeman is a better manager than Moyes, but Moyes was just as I said, a safe and regular finisher with a side that probably wasn't going to do much better than high-mid table in those times.

Fergie definitely fucked Man Utd landing us with Moyes, either the best troll ever or one of the worst decisions he's ever made. Man Utd is recovering, Moyes looks like he'll be heading for retirement.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I'm in the same boat here. I enjoy PL matches when some of the smaller teams have fun with the likes of United, Arsenal or Liverpool and the derbies between the top 5 minus Tottenham (which I find boring no matter who is the other team), but watching a mid-low table game is as fun as watching a controlled implosion.

In a lot of La Liga matches you can see at least some skills and some tactics at play. Plus you get several team who are just fun to watch, like Celta or Las Palmas and Malaga.

Markitron

Fergie definitely fucked Man Utd landing us with Moyes, as I said, either the best troll ever or one of the worst decisions he's ever made. Man Utd is recovering, Moyes looks like he'll be heading for retirement.

I have a feeling he is gonna join that list of managers that just keep getting offered jobs despite constantly being sacked. See Paul Lambert, Tony Mowbray, Neil Warnock etc.

Zasa

Cavani fucked again?
Probably just a lot of rotation tbh, bar Neymar. I'd imagine they'll play a more balanced 433 in the CL. 4231 for the easiest Ligue 1 matches. I'd imagine Draxler to be the one that makes way most of the time even though he's the most natural #10 of the lot.

Unless they do something like
Cavani
Neymar - Sanchez - AdM

Which seems pretty crazy on paper

Markitron

Alan Curbishley was interviewed before Rafa Benitez back in 2004... ugh the horrors.

Jesus tapdancing Christ. I actually thought Rafa was the only choice since his Valencia team destroyed Liverpool in Europe. Curbishley would have been a mistake of Hodgson proportions.

Audioboxer

I have a feeling he is gonna join that list of managers that just keep getting offered jobs despite constantly being sacked. See Paul Lambert, Tony Mowbray, Neil Warnock etc.

If he stays in England he'll have to head for the Championship. If he heads abroad, he's already dead.

Considering Rangers got knocked out of the Europa league to a part-time team, they should sack their manager and Moyes should probably head up North to a league where it's historically only ever been Celtic or Rangers. Brendan Rodgers is enjoying some managerial success, even if it's in a mediocre league. He'll probably be back to the EPL in the years to come.

Heck, at this rate he should just manage the Scottish National team, where failure is success.

Jesus tapdancing Christ. I actually thought Rafa was the only choice since his Valencia team destroyed Liverpool in Europe. Curbishley would have been a mistake of Hodgson proportions.

"Throughout his time at Charlton, Curbishley was frequently linked with higher-profile managerial positions. In 2004, he was one of the main candidates to become manager of Liverpool;[12] reportedly being the favoured choice of club captain Steven Gerrard, amongst others."

Stevie... He also wanted Roy after the Rafa reign. You gotta question Gerrard's knowledge sometimes.

Loris146

Probably just a lot of rotation tbh, bar Neymar. I'd imagine they'll play a more balanced 433 in the CL. 4231 for the easiest Ligue 1 matches. I'd imagine Draxler to be the one that makes way most of the time even though he's the most natural #10 of the lot.

Unless they do something like
Cavani
Neymar - Sanchez - AdM

Which seems pretty crazy on paper

I don't really see Alexis as a CAM. Did he play in that position before?

Markitron

If he stays in England he'll have to head for the Championship. If he heads abroad, he's already dead.

Considering Rangers got knocked out of the Europa league to a part-time team, they should sack their manager and Moyes should probably head up North to a league where it's historically only ever been Celtic or Rangers. Brendan Rodgers is enjoying some managerial success, even if it's in a mediocre league. He'll probably be back to the EPL in the years to come.

I think there are some Premier League clubs that would take a chance on him around February time if they are relegation threatened, but yea Scotland would make the most sense for him now. I always thought he was whiney and unpleasant so I'll be glad to see the back of him.

As for Rodgers, I wouldn't be surprised to see him replace Poch at Spurs when he leaves for Spain/Italy.

"Throughout his time at Charlton, Curbishley was frequently linked with higher-profile managerial positions. In 2004, he was one of the main candidates to become manager of Liverpool;[12] reportedly being the favoured choice of club captain Steven Gerrard, amongst others."

Stevie... He also wanted Roy after the Rafa reign. You gotta question Gerrard's knowledge sometimes.

Fucking hell................

Audioboxer

I think there are some Premier League clubs that would take a chance on him around February time if they are relegation threatened, but yea Scotland would make the most sense for him now. I always thought he was whiney and unpleasant so I'll be glad to see the back of him.

As for Rodgers, I wouldn't be surprised to see him replace Poch at Spurs when he leaves for Spain/Italy.

Fucking hell................

For some reason, I've always imagined Spurs courting Eddie Howe in the future, with a gamble that he can up his game.

EmiPrime

How far back do we go to find football's soul? What is normal?

The '90s: FIFA on the Mega Drive and ISS on the SNES, Italian football being exciting and exotic watching Football Italia with James Richardson on channel 4, Euro 96 and WC 98 being the best tournaments of all time, Cantona's flying kick...

Modern football is terrible, I want to relive the '90s.

Thing about Moyes is I think United broke him, at Everton he used to have an air of authority about him (and looked like a scary fucker you wouldn't want to cross at times). Now he's just a sad sack. He should still get jobs (if he wants them) I mean Steve McClaren's still knocking around.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Only teams I found entertaining last year in the Prem were City, Chelsea, Tottenham and from time to time Liverpool. I usually enjoy Mourinho football as well but what United played last year was far from what his teams normally produce.

I find La Liga and Serie A the most entertaining. I think its because the clubs have ideas on how football should be played and focus on that, I couldn't tell you what sort of football more than half the Prem teams want to play after watching them, they always look a bit of a mess and never look coherent whatever style of football they are playing.

Markitron

For some reason, I've always imagined Spurs courting Eddie Howe in the future, with a gamble that he can up his game.

I think if he keeps Bournemouth in the league for a few more years he will def get an upgrade. I can see it being Everton or Spurs if they are outside the top 4/5.

The '90s: FIFA on the Mega Drive and ISS on the SNES, Italian football being exciting and exotic watching Football Italia with James Richardson on channel 4, Euro 96 and WC 98 being the best tournaments of all time, Cantona's flying kick...

Class of 92, Our Spice Boys, Blackburn with Shearer and of course this <3

Markitron

I'd add those crazy Liverpool-Newcastle games to that list myself. I miss the 90's as well, USA 94 and France 98 were by far the best World Cups I have seen.

spidye

Italy in the 90's was something special

Inter, Fiorentina (Batistuta is my jam), Juventus, Milan

man so many great clubs with the best players in the world

tomtom94

I think if he keeps Bournemouth in the league for a few more years he will def get an upgrade. I can see it being Everton or Spurs if they are outside the top 4/5.

Problem is he already got an upgrade when he went from Bournemouth to Burnley and it didn't take.

Markitron

Italy in the 90's was something special

Inter, Fiorentina (Batistuta is my jam), Juventus, Milan

man so many great clubs with the best players in the world

Gabby Batistuta is my favourite player that has never played for Liverpool. To think Roy Evans wanted to buy him in '95 but ended up getting Collymore instead........

I don't think I've really enjoyed an international tournament since World Cup '06

2010 was shite but 2014 was ok, probably the best since France '98.

Audioboxer

Class of 92, Our Spice Boys, Blackburn with Shearer and of course this <3

Clicks link, suggestions on the side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOaZYhTd2BU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAFzjHZlOQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEspVQXpUcs

Good old times, most videos are of the boss, but cheeky Benitez in there too. The rivalries were better back then. Mourinho just cries all the time, Wenger just gets non-stop hate from his own fans now and Pep/Conte are still too new to the league (and Peps a fraud anyway). Everyone loves Klopp so no one is going to attack him...

Gabby Batistuta is my favourite player that has never played for Liverpool. To think Roy Evans wanted to buy him in '95 but ended up getting Collymore instead........

To be fair I think a lot of people were over the moon when we got Collymore at the time. Shame he didn't have the mental strength to be a professional footballer(in addition to being a cunt), couldn't commit to move up to Merseyside and always had to drive up and down from the Midlands all the time. Had a decent partnership with Fowler let's not forget.

Zasa

Real Sociedad
Athletic Bilbao
Villareal
Celta

I'd throw in Las Palmas as well there. One of the best teams to watch in general imo

Also, what do you mean by production? As in player production?

Markitron

Everyone loves Klopp so no one is going to attack him...

This guy is hilarious. He's a 60 year old Everton fan that exclusively tweets about Liverpool.

https://twitter.com/davothkelly/status/866413595336290308

To be fair I think a lot of people were over the moon when we got Collymore at the time. Shame he didn't have the mental strength to be a professional footballer(in addition to being a cunt), couldn't commit to move up to Merseyside and always had to drive up and down from the Midlands all the time. Had a decent partnership with Fowler let's not forget.

Yea I remember being excited when he signed, though finding out about Gabby later kinda soured me. Imagine him and Fowler playing together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom