• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

That's what makes PL the best league in the world. Any team can win on their day regardless of the opposition. The only thing that comes close is La Liga and only 2 teams can realistically win that, as you said. Serie A is only good when Napoli play. Bundesliga is weak. Ligue 1 is a joke. MLS is an abomination.
Okay okay okay, I have to step in here. While in no way shape or form am I saying that MLS can realistically be compared to the Bundesliga, Serie A, etc., it's far from an abomination. In fact your entire statement of the PL being the best league in the world due to the fact that "any team can win on their day" is something that also happens in MLS. I'd say every game matters even MORE in MLS, due to the playoff format and the salary caps. And before you say "hur hur playoffs hur" every game seriously matters. Currently in the Western Conference, the table stands like this:

W2 HOU 34 23 39 7
W3 FCD 34 21 33 7
W4 SEA 34 23 36 5
W5 POR 34 24 42 3
W6 SJ 32 23 26 -9
W7 VAN 31 21 32 1

One game. One win. That's all that separates 7th and 2nd right now. That's insane. Also, as someone who lives in England, when's the last time you watched much MLS? It's gotten much, much better the last couple years. There's still a ton of room for improvement, but the quality of play has definitely improved past the "retirement league" stigma. Plus like, it's just fun to go and support a local team.

We're also lucky in Portland to have Diego Valeri. He's fun. (Also, LOL @ Jermaine Jones in this GIF) https://twitter.com/TotalMLS/status/894267895932268544

Zasa

This whole 'best league in the world' angle is such rubbish, & incredibly ignorant as well. Why are people so adamant on proclaiming their league is the 'best'? It's all subjective. Not like one style of football being played is the defacto best.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
!!!!

I had no idea.

Batigol was a god.

Yep, still hurts.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/144497-revealed-roy-s-plan-to-sign-batistuta

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-tried-sign-gabriel-batistuta-2261632

Evans also wanted to buy Teddy Sheringham to partner Fowler when Collymore left for Aston Villa(this was of course before we knew Michael Owen was gonna burst onto the scene). But the club thought he was too old and instead he went to Man Utd and won a shitload of things :(

They clearly learned their lesson and didn't repeat that mistake with Gary Mac.

Audioboxer

He's a feeder club manager at best. 5 trophies in 16 years, with two of them being the preseason supercup.

I'm not necessarily meaning his credibility as a manager, but his charisma. He's often laughing and smiling. It takes to most people's emotions. Throw in the German accent in the EPL and many football fans are like there is the funny German man.

KJxX3ba.gif

Of course, rage Klopp does exist

x58NUNp.gif

This guy is hilarious. He's a 60 year old Everton fan that exclusively tweets about Liverpool.

https://twitter.com/davothkelly/status/866413595336290308

Ach well, haters gonna hate when there is rivalry lol.

In saying that, that guy REALLY doesn't like Klopp from a quick skim.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This whole 'beat league in the world' is such rubbish, & incredibly ignorant as well. Why are people so adamant on proclaiming their league is the 'best'? It's all subjective. Not like one style of football being played is the defacto best.

The english media are obsessed with the notion, I find it massively arrogant.

Ach well, haters gonna hate when there is rivalry lol.

This guy takes it to the next level, the like of which I have never seen. He literally spends his days tweeting about how much he hates Liverpool. Def worth a follow for any Liverpool fan.

Audioboxer

This guy takes it to the next level, the like of which I have never seen. He literally spends his days tweeting about how much he hated Liverpool. Def worth a follow for any Liverpool fan.

Hates Liverpool, has more Liverpool fans following him than Everton

Oauawj5.gif

Zasa

Yeah, sadly true. Most of the time you ever hear that argument is from English pundits. The classic, "why wouldn't he want to come here? It's the best league in the world".

Of course, you'll also see many on here say that as well. Incredible what the English propaganda machine does.

Markitron

Any Klopp is best Klopp.

I remember seeing Chelsea fans wanting to get pictures with him last year, I'm obviously biased but I don't recall many managers that were so popular.

MrS

Banned
wall of text
I have more respect for your post than I do for the MLS. Any league in which Bradley Wright-Philips can be a superstar should be considered shit-tier. Also, the MLS is entertaining because it's so bad. I'm not knocking anybody for enjoying it, but lets just be real about what it is.

Loris146

Italy in the 90's was something special

Inter, Fiorentina (Batistuta is my jam), Juventus, Milan

man so many great clubs with the best players in the world

Serie A was the best league in the world until 2006. Now we are behind Liga and PL at least. You can add Lazio (Nedved, Nesta and more) , Parma (cannavaro, thuram , buffon , crespo , chiesa and more) and Sampdoria ( Mancini, Vialli etc ) to that list.

Markitron

Looks like the Coutinho deal will happen. For ~120M to 130M €. Crazy, crazy market.

I wouldn't take 250m for him. There is no one to replace him with and the owners won't spend it anyway. I saw on Twitter earlier that we have a 20m negative net spend since Klopp became manager. Not sure how accurate it is, but the fact that I took it at face value speaks volumes.

Dartastic

I have more respect for your post than I do for the MLS. Any league in which Bradley Wright-Philips can be a superstar should be considered shit-tier. Also, the MLS is entertaining because it's so bad. I'm not knocking anybody for enjoying it, but lets just be real about what it is.
Look, I'm not trying to convince you that the league is great or anything, I know what it is, and if I lived in England I wouldn't give it a second thought either. In terms of the overall quality on the pitch, it's an average league that is slowly improving.

That being said, you didn't really answer my question. When's the last time you watched it? Because like I said, while the quality on the field isn't the best, it's improved dramatically over the last three or four years, and it's only going to continue to improve due to salary caps increasing and new weird, stupid MLS specific team funding mechanisms. Plus the draw of living in the USA is huge for a lot of people. Plus my point that any team can win on the day still stands, which seemed to be your main argument for the Prem. Regardless of the quality, it sure can be entertaining to watch, especially since I'm actually able to go to the games.
Looks like the Coutinho deal will happen. For ~120M to 130M €. Crazy, crazy market.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :(

Clegg

Pretty much, but he was decent for Everton in an era where they just weren't going to manage to challenge the giants in Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool. Now Everton probably do see themselves in with a chance for the top 6. Koeman is a better manager than Moyes, but Moyes was just as I said, a safe and regular finisher with a side that probably wasn't going to do much better than high-mid table in those times.

Fergie definitely fucked Man Utd landing us with Moyes, either the best troll ever or one of the worst decisions he's ever made. Man Utd is recovering, Moyes looks like he'll be heading for retirement.
Appointing Moyes was an appalling lapse in judgement, but not the one that really screwed United. The lack of investment in key areas is what really fucked us over. Vidic and Ferdinand were getting on and needed experienced replacements. But we persisted with Smalling, Jones and Evans all which were either injury prone or just not good enough. The defence was solid but was clearly on its last legs as shown by Moyes' horror season.

Midfield was even worse. Ferguson got the best out of Cleverley and Anderson, but it was clear that they'd never be good enough long term either. The fact that both have been sold tells us that. We got so desperate that we brought Scholes back, pissed off Pogba and we then lost him. We kept Giggs around despite him only playing well every once in a while. Carrick has been an excellent player for United and until Herrera came in he held that midfield together. It was entirely unfair on him and the fans. Basically playing with one in midfield for so long.

Ferguson's biggest fault was leaving that squad in that shape he did. Yes he won the league but there were major weaknesses in the side which he did nothing to rectify. It's a minor miracle we actually won the championship that year. The one signing which has stood by him is De Gea. Best keeper in the league and one of the best in the world.

RocknRola

I wouldn't take 250m for him. There is no one to replace him with and the owners won't spend it anyway. I saw on Twitter earlier that we have a 20m negative net spend since Klopp became manager. Not sure how accurate it is, but the fact that I took it at face value speaks volumes.

Look, I'm not trying to convince you that the league is great or anything, I know what it is, and if I lived in England I wouldn't give it a second thought either. In terms of the overall quality on the pitch, it's an average league that is slowly improving.

That being said, you didn't really answer my question. When's the last time you watched it? Because like I said, while the quality on the field isn't the best, it's improved dramatically over the last three or four years, and it's only going to continue to improve due to salary caps increasing and new weird, stupid MLS specific team funding mechanisms. Plus the draw of living in the USA is huge for a lot of people. Plus my point that any team can win on the day still stands, which seemed to be your main argument for the Prem. Regardless of the quality, it sure can be entertaining to watch, especially since I'm actually able to go to the games.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :(

According to who?

break off a bit of that sweet sweet Neymar money for van Dijk now.

Then Liverpool can sign Sanchez ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I would like to know this as well.

My source is this: http://www.abola.pt/Nnh/Noticias/Ver/686333

Which itself references "The Times", which I have no clue how legit or not it is when it comes to transfer market news/rumours.

In any case, much like the Neymar deal, more and more details about this "possible" transfer are popping up each day. Where there is smoke....

Markitron

My source is this: http://www.abola.pt/Nnh/Noticias/Ver/686333

Which itself references "The Times", which I have no clue how legit or not it is when it comes to transfer market news/rumours.

In any case, much like the Neymar deal, more and more details about this "possible" transfer are popping up each day. Where there is smoke....

Imagine if they sold a player that they claimed was not for sale, after chasing and not getting two players whose clubs said were not for sale. They can't be that stupid, the backlash will be insane.

Doc_Drop

Class of 92, Our Spice Boys, Blackburn with Shearer and of course this <3

This always chills my blood....god damn we were so close

So the entire club of Crystal Palace is worth around 8/9ths of a Neymar?

It really is ridiculous

As to the EPL as the "best league in the world' - It's obviously not the technical or strategic quality and is all on the drama, the unpredictability (game by game), and the TV money coming in. But we all know English commentators and pundits are smoking too much of their own shit, the attitude every time there is an international tournament is evidence enough.

For real though, EPL is the most entertaining to the most of the world. It's what it is

Fucking LOOOL at the PL is the best league in the world. Most competitive? I give you that, but that's because all teams are equally bad. They keep performing like shit in European competitions.

Just watch La Liga if you want to enjoy actual football.

Serie A was the best league in the world until 2006. Now we are behind Liga and PL at least. You can add Lazio (Nedved, Nesta and more) , Parma (cannavaro, thuram , buffon , crespo , chiesa and more) and Sampdoria ( Mancini, Vialli etc ) to that list.

The competition in the league might not be the best but the quality of football is still better than what is in the PL. The way they use the space be it attacking or defensively is far superior and that is where the majority of the game is played.

RocknRola

Imagine if they sold a player that they claimed was not for sale, after chasing and not getting two players whose clubs said were not for sale. They can't be that stupid, the backlash will be insane.

I dunno. On the other hand the sudden surge of money may help with whatever targets they may want to get (or not). Not sure who'd be able to replace Coutinho at Liverpool though.

Appointing Moyes was an appalling lapse in judgement, but not the one that really screwed United. The lack of investment in key areas is what really fucked us over. Vidic and Ferdinand were getting on and needed experienced replacements. But we persisted with Smalling, Jones and Evans all which were either injury prone or just not good enough. The defence was solid but was clearly on its last legs as shown by Moyes' horror season.

Midfield was even worse. Ferguson got the best out of Cleverley and Anderson, but it was clear that they'd never be good enough long term either. The fact that both have been sold tells us that. We got so desperate that we brought Scholes back, pissed off Pogba and we then lost him. We kept Giggs around despite him only playing well every once in a while. Carrick has been an excellent player for United and until Herrera came in he held that midfield together. It was entirely unfair on him and the fans. Basically playing with one in midfield for so long.

Ferguson's biggest fault was leaving that squad in that shape he did. Yes he won the league but there were major weaknesses in the side which he did nothing to rectify. It's a minor miracle we actually won the championship that year. The one signing which has stood by him is De Gea. Best keeper in the league and one of the best in the world.

I was always under the impression that since most managers get their own players anyway - he was saving the budget for Moyes to spend.

But Moyes failed to capitivate the likes of Cesc and such who were rumoured and that summer was an utter failure in the transfer market.

Markitron

I dunno. On the other hand the sudden surge of money may help with whatever targets they may want to get (or not). Not sure who'd be able to replace Coutinho at Liverpool though.

There are no targets to replace him, that's why it would be monumentally stupid to sell him, and I genuinely don't trust FSG to buy anybody with the money. This really reminds me of 2014, finally get back in the Champions League (hopefully) and then sell our best player.

Blablurn

kinda feels like the old times but without the sexual tension between certain posters

lol

And I still dont know 95% of the people who post here. Its like the new start of the relationship, where people havent shown their true faces yet.

For that... we need the Champions League to come.

Clegg

I was always under the impression that since most managers get their own players anyway - he was saving the budget for Moyes to spend.

But Moyes failed to capitivate the likes of Cesc and such who were rumoured and that summer was an utter failure in the transfer market.
The problems in midfield were apparent for years before Ferguson left. It was obvious for a couple of seasons before Scholes retired that we needed a capable midfielder to partner Carrick, but we never brought one in. Then Scholes left and we still never signed an able replacement. Our replacement for Scholes was Scholes himself when he came out of retirement. That's disastrous planning.

spidye

lol

And I still dont know 95% of the people who post here. Its like the new start of the relationship, where people havent shown their true faces yet.

let me make it easy for you

everyone hates us :lol

RocknRola

lol

Luckily for me my club is too scrub tier to get there, so I'm probably safe from that :v

TimmmV

Jesus tapdancing Christ. I actually thought Rafa was the only choice since his Valencia team destroyed Liverpool in Europe. Curbishley would have been a mistake of Hodgson proportions.

They looked at Mourinho (and by all accounts he wanted the job) too but ultimately went with Rafa - its meant to be a huge reason why Mourinho loves fucking us over lol

There are no targets to replace him, that's why it would be monumentally stupid to sell him, and I genuinely don't trust FSG to buy anybody with the money. This really reminds me of 2014, finally get back in the Champions League (hopefully) and then sell our best player.

Yeah, especially this late. Selling him will be a guaranteed backwards step, given the size of the squad and the fact that CL qualifying is only a week away

The difference in reporting from UK media and the rest of the world is really weird too - hopefully this will go the way Veratti did for Barca (or Red Bull did for Keita) and FSG just tell them to piss off. But not going to pretend it isn't really worrying, it will probably be going like on until the end of the month too :(

Audioboxer

I don't disagree, but what that showed more was Fergie was a master in taking terribly average players and getting them to perform "above" their ability. I know of few other managers who've been able to win some of the stuff he did with some of the most average players ever (in certain positions).

Moyes was still just a catastrophic appointment and one of Fergies biggest mistakes. We did need a load of new players, but no one top level let alone decent was going to want to sign for fucking Moyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom