• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

azyless

Deadline day predictions

LFC - Lemar and VVD in, Coutinho to Barca
Yes please

Arsenal - Draxler in, Alexis to City
I actually quite rate Draxler, I think he'd do well there granted Wenger utilizes him well. I don't know if Arsenal will be willing to spend though. And PSG wouldn't mind keeping him unless they absolutely need to sell, so I'm not sure how much they'd ask for.

M'bappe still not official btw, they're working on a way to make the payment obligatory next year without it counting for this year's finances for FPF. It'll still go through eventually but eh.

UEFA really needs to change something about deadline day of the Summer window or the international matches because it's a complete mess that tomorrow some national teams play but you have agents and medical staff on hotel lobbies or training grounds for the entire day just in case something happens.

What a mess...

Tbf if the 1st was on a Monday it'd be fine. Probably should push it back a week though to be safe. Then again the whole last minute deal furore shouldn't really be encouraged...

MikeBison

Bony going to Verona
Barca bid €160m for Dybala

Both Sky Italy

Supposedly rejected too.

Can't believe I'm all my time reading and then joining gaf, I never came in the football thread. It's way better than other fan forums. Not as serious, way better banter and mixed fans getting on well.

Haven't even gone in main gaf anywhere near as much this last week. Just the Mario and rabbids thread occasionally. (That game is lit by the way).

These transfer predictions are better than E3 predictions. We need an 'all aboard transfer deadline day hype train' gif. Ain't nothing stopping this train.

Alllll abooaaarrrdd.

Tainted

Echoing other LFC comments here...Ox is a decent buy and will thrive under Klopp, but what we really need this window is a new CB. I will be overjoyed if we sign VVD this window....but it really seems 50/50 at the moment. I hope they have a plan b if we fail to bring him in

tim.mbp

Bony going to Verona

ESiYZCQ.gif

azyless

In another blow to Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, Kieran Gibbs joined West Bromwich Albion for £7 million and said that he would develop better under Tony Pulis.
Must be quite a snap back to reality when your players are saying they would be better under Tony Pulis.

The article is also claiming we're prepared to spend on VVD and Lemar tomorrow but I'm not letting myself hope.

Jarnet87

United perhaps, Jose loves the madness

There were some rumors that Jose wanted him but the board was not convinced, then some more reliable sources like Castles and Stones were saying nothing in it. I have not seen enough of Mahrez to put an opinion on him, just a few games against United. In space he is very dangerous what about when teams are sitting back.

imagine how demoralizing it must be at Arsenal right now.

Why? Selling AOC for 40 feels great. Sanchez’s attitude is dragging down the team than anything else - although selling to City pretty much means EPL will be a Manchester race this year. If Draxler comes, it’s a pretty successful transfer market, if he doesn’t well looks like our starting front three is Lac, Ozil, and Welbeck.

The real issue though is will Wenger actually use the players he has right... gonna be fighting for 3/4 with Chelsea, Liverpool

Sanches has gone to Swansea on a one year loan (8m loan fee)

And James is 5 a year. Great business by Bayern

Seeing as Ox signed for Liverpool, (not a fan of this), I don't think Lemar will happen. I also don't think Van Dijk will happen either.

Oh well, I'm fine with Keita for next season at least. Ox will provide depth in midfield until Lallana is back. He can't be worse than Wijnaldum, right?

Ox for 35m is absolutely mad for someone with one year left. I mean City tried 50m for Sanchez and the gap is surreal between the two of them.

I mean we can all say we doubted Mane, but Ox has been at Arsenal for 6 years and produced 9 goals. With patchy form, injury prone history and poor footballing intelligence, I just don't see the appeal beyond how he's still 24.

Best wishes.

NHale

Spanish press are saying Mahrez is coming to Barcelona, Arsenal or Chelsea.

Now let's all wait and watch him sign for Liverpool tomorrow morning.

Don't we have people watching where private planes are flying to?

Fredescu

Goals per game is a silly metric for Ox. He's been a sub most of the time. That stat is only peddled out by Arsenal fans to make fun of a guy who wants to leave. Plus the 9 goals is just league goals. Pretty sure it's more like 20 across all competitions.

NHale

If I had to bet Mahrez is going to Arsenal which means Sanchez is going to City.

MARCA is now saying Atletico will not sign Diego Costa this summer and will wait for January which probably means Vietto is staying put. It could be a smokescreen to make Chelsea drop the price a little further.

Yeah. He’s not the squad player that’ll win you trophies. If anything he might give the ball away and lose you some games

If he's going to be a utility player like Milner in the future, why is he leaving Arsenal? I get it's a negative environment over there right now, Liverpool is looking promising, might not want to be like Walcott and Wenger is still there but he was going to earn more, likely play more and let's be honest, Arsenal have more chances to win silverware than we do.

We always flop towards the end whereas Wenger at least wins silverware in recent times. I'm not being negative but it's been the recent trend.

If we do get Lemar and Coutinho stays, where will he play even as a rotation player? Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana and soon Keita will cover that spot and Milner is more flexible than Ox right now.

Depth in VERY important but it doesn't help us getting yet another injury prone player.

Best wishes.

Supposedly it's because he wants to play CM rather than wingback, which is also the reason he turned down Chelsea.

Just shows his maturity as a footballer. His skill set does not bode well for a career in CM. Thinks himself as a future Gerrard I think, he’s not gonna have an eighth of Stevie’s career on current trajectory and Gerrard didn’t even win the PL.

Should’ve put his head down and beat Moses or Bellerin at the rwb role. England will probably start playing with wbs too since it’s so popular in the PL right now and he could beat walker as a wb imo.

As a CM... behind all of Liverpool’s options for me as well as England’s. Great sell for Arsenal, happy he’s gone.

casiopao

Juventus signed Howedes for loan with option to buy for 3.5mil where it can reach up to 16.5 mil if next year Juventus wanted to buy his services.

For 29 years old and German national team player, i dont think thats too bad for the price.

Also just see the info on Juventus forum,

Net Spend almost 25 mil.

Player in

Bernardeschi
Matuidi
Costa
Szczesny
De Sciglio
Bentancur
Höwedes

Player out
Alves
Bonucci
Rincon
Neto
Zaza
Lemina

Not bad business.^_^

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up not even making the match day squad quite regularly

Every midfield position has two players I'd rather see play. He doesn't have the instincts or composure to be a good option in the front 3. We don't use wingbacks.

Even by today's standards, we've spent silly money on him. If klopp can get enough out of him to justify his purchase, it'll be a greater achievement than winning the league with Dortmund

unrealist

I see lots of Arsenal salt all over different forums.. they are just charting stats how he is a poor player. Before that, all of them were hoping he would extend his contract, now everyone wants him out quick. We forgot he was often played out of position or used as a sub. Ox is not an excellent buy IMO, but not the worse either. We can admit there can be much worse buys.

It is afterall very possible Ox will thrive under Klopp right? He is a player that Conte, Klopp wants and Arsenal wanting to give 180k/week. He can't be all that bad right? These are professional managers .. not the keyboard warriors on Reddit or African facebook fans analyzing what's best for the club.

To be completely fair to Ox, Arsenal's midfield options are dire as hell. Ozil is their best and he plays further up and often ghosts.

Whereas Liverpool midfield is the difference between a Watford 3-3 and Arsenal 4-0. Henderson, Can, Lallana and Coutinho are far superior in their current form than any recent Arsenal midfield I can remember, (at least since 2013/2014). Throw in Lemar and Keita for next summer and I can see him thriving in midfield if he ever gets the chance over Wijnaldum.

That being said, I do agree. He will not compare to Gerrard, not even close. Hell, I don't even think he will compare to Lallana. I simply don't think this is a good buy especially if we don't get Lemar, unless Klopp really does believe Milner needs replacing soon as a utility player.

What's more insulting here is that we were toying around with the idea of giving Can 100k/w but Ox gets 120k/w?

I just don't understand Arsenal's transfer policy this window. Has Wenger misjudged the market and his own players? As soon as he signed a new contract they should've been aggressive in the market and brought in the players they wanted and got rid of the ones they didn't. Instead as usual everything is last minute and I don't understand it. It's like having 5 weeks to write a paper and pulling an all nighter the day before its due in to finish it.

Giving the manager a 2 year contract and having a window like this is unreal. I actually feel sorry for Wenger, he came here and revolutionised the game but it's obvious he cannot let go of his attachment to the club and the board didn't have the balls to find a replacement, and it has resulted in this mess.

Arsenal are going to have one hell of a rebuilding job one day, and if the market stays so crazily aggressive like it's been this window its going to be an almost impossible job.

casiopao

I really dont understand how Arsenal can be this bad actually lol. They are supposed to be even richer than Juventus. How can they f up even more there.

Tubie

I really dont understand how Arsenal can be this bad actually lol. They are supposed to be even richer than Juventus. How can they f up even more there.

The owner only cares about making a nice profit from all the suckers that go and pay to watch that team play year after year, would be my guess.

Shiv47

The owner only cares about making a nice profit from all the suckers that go and pay to watch that team play year after year, would be my guess.
Correct. He also said in an interview about being an owner that “If you want to win championships then you would never get involved.” He's going to ride the money train till he's run whatever is left into the ground. All the teams he owns are run like shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom