• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sane_Man

Then it'll be Firmino

Then Keita

and so on

Supposedly Firmino has a 70 something million release clause :/ except to Arsenal lol.

Also rumours that Can could be off to Juve for 30 million. I'll be heart broken. I'd rather he sign a new contract than us sign any of these other players we're linked with.

Danchi

According to Ornstein (Twitter link at the top of the page), that £180k offer was dependent on Arsenal qualifying for the Champions League. I'm not entirely sure how that works. Bulk sum at the end of the season?

GHG

According to Ornstein (Twitter link at the top of the page), that £180k offer was dependent on Arsenal qualifying for the Champions League. I'm not entirely sure how that works. Bulk sum at the end of the season?

No his contract would switch to being 180k in years when we've qualified.

Would just mean that his wage would have increased to £180k upon Arsenal qualifying for the Champions League. He wouldn't have received backpay.

--

Arsenal having no money is utter shit anyway, if the club has no money left then it would be impossible to renew the contracts of the three that are running out. Especially at the ridiculous sums that were being thrown around. Club just making excuses for being incompetent and not signing anyone.

Clegg

Supposedly Firmino has a 70 something million release clause :/ except to Arsenal lol.

Also rumours that Can could be off to Juve for 30 million. I'll be heart broken. I'd rather he sign a new contract than us sign any of these other players we're linked with.
Can's contract expires next summer. Juventus are one of the shrewdest sides in football when it comes to signings. They'll try and get him to sign a pre-contract agreement in January and then on a free transfer in June.

Would just mean that his wage would have increased to £180k upon Arsenal qualifying for the Champions League. He wouldn't have received backpay.

--

Arsenal having no money is utter shit anyway, if the club has no money left then it would be impossible to renew the contracts of the three that are running out. Especially at the ridiculous sums that were being thrown around. Club just making excuses for being incompetent and not signing anyone.

It's more ridiculous still if they try and panic buy tomorrow; spread the word that they've got little to nothing to buy with and watch half of Europe re-evaluate the cost of their squad players/benches the second Arsenal come calling. Every club must know Arsenal aren't out of cash, now they can call them out on it if they try to buy. It would've been wiser of them to say fuck all on this subject.

Did anyone actually at the club say that though?

Also conspiracy theory - AOC threw the game against Liverpool because he knew an offer was on the table?

Can going to do Liverpool dirty and go on a free to Juventus. If we lose him I think we'll be covered anyway especially with Keita coming and if we end up getting Lemar. Maybe that's why he doesn't want to sign, probably feel he won't get much game time.

Yes he is. Especially to Klopp, who had faith in him when everyone else was slating him including me.

Fuck loyalty when it comes to contracts.

I don't know the whole story with him maybe the board dropped the ball in regards to a new contract or perhaps he wants to go to Juve and actually win a trophy.

T-Rex.

Banned
Where can I watch the Liverpool 4-0 Arsenal match?
Here

Fuck loyalty when it comes to contracts.

I don't know the whole story with him maybe the board dropped the ball in regards to a new contract or perhaps he wants to go to Juve and actually win a trophy.
Supposedly we offered him wages that we would a squad player whereas he felt he should be on the wages that we pay a first teamer. Dunno how true that is though.

Here

Supposedly we offered him wages that we would a squad player whereas he felt he should be on the wages that we pay a first teamer. Dunno how true that is though.

Well in an interview he said it wasn't about the money so I think it's about his position and playing time or the club's ambition.

T-Rex.

Banned
Well in an interview he said it wasn't about the money so I think it's about his position and playing time or the club's ambition.
He's not going to come out and say it's about the money tbf! I really like him though so hopefully we get it sorted. I'd love to see a Can, Keita, Coutinho (Lemar?) midfield next season.

Yes he is. Especially to Klopp, who had faith in him when everyone else was slating him including me.

Nah, he's not making a fuss, or angling for more money with a commitment he then goes back on. I'll be disappointed for sure, but if Juve are offering to make him one of their main men I can definitely see the appeal for him. It's not as if every player that comes through our doors wants to be here forever. Besides...

Then it'll be Firmino

Then Keita

and so on

We need to start winning if we want people to stay, that's the crux of it. People go because they're good enough to go up the ladder, well, we gotta be at the top of the ladder. Guess it's also the price of having real talent in.

I just remembered Wenger's (in)famous quote about the 'ideal situation'.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/arse...ion-to-have-players-in-last-year-of-contracts

"Not at all. I think it's an ideal situation. Because everybody has to perform," Wenger said after Arsenal lost 2-1 to Sevilla at the Emirates Cup on Sunday. "When you're a football player you perform until the last day of your contract. What does it change if you have two years on one year to go?

He's going to get savaged if Arsenal continue to be poor throughout the season

I'll give Can the same respect I gave Cou, if he wants to leave then let him. I just wish that until they leave, they play every second we give them - even if only to showcase themselves. I'd believe Can might not have taken a contract like that (if it's true) given the effort he's put in, or sees Juve as an easier pick to get into a first 11 looking for silverware, so I don't really blame him for running his contract out rather than putting in a transfer bid.

I could imagine he might have had he not saw how Cou's attempt went down. He sees another way out, he may well be taking it. A bit of a shame twofold, one no money for us if he does, and two I think we can make something happen these next couple of seasons and he'd have a role in that.

As long as he plays well until that happens, I've got no real problem with running it out.

Syder

What a clusterfuck the end to this transfer window is
KuGsj.gif

MikeBison

Ox medical underway at St. George's park.

(Pearce)

Must be weird coming out of a medical and all your England team mates giving it "wayyyyyyy"

PowderedToast

juventus bid last week and it was rejected. can won't sign without getting first team assurances which klopp won't give him

v sad situation, many forget he is only 23. in two years who knows what level he'll have reached.

NHale

Him going to bayern was hundred times more crazy, at least to anyone who watched him play regularly. I can write the same exact thing I did when he was transferred. He's a young kind who is physically very strong for his age...that's it. He has no skills whatsoever, he play terrible off the ball, can't handle defensive coverages, he's not a good passer, terrible decision making, everything a center midfielder needs to excel he lacks. I expect a level of professionalism from the scouting of a top club that goes beyond some badly constructed hype from two performances of a euro-cup.

Swansea will be a good club for him. He has all the physical qualities necessary to perform at the top level. Maybe he can develop everything else.

Couldn't agree more except for the fact that he showed one big quality besides being strong, which is the ability of changing the pace of the game very quickly (I think this will translate well in the PL). He transitions with the ball at a lightining speed but then like you said his decision making after the transition is awful. Everyone that watched him play in Portugal (besides the lunatics) knew he didn't have the mental fortitude or skills required to succeed in Germany/Bayern. Renato is also to blame because he had other offers besides Bayern, but I guess Adidas as his sponsor had a couple of words with him.

I do believe he is a better passer than he shows but he still sticks to his tendency of delivering every ball by running into his teammate instead of making the ball travel. He never learned better.

What I question right now is the mental side. He had a disastrous summer break, since making up excuses to not play for the Portugal national young team, the terrible decision making with social media and some absurd interviews he gave to the press. He believes he's better than he is and the money actually seemed to change him. Maybe playing for Swansea will humble the kid but I fear he's another "next Eusebio" that flops because Benfica threw the hype into 11 too early once again. Remember when Nelson Oliveira was the next great striker? To the point where they forced Paulo Bento to bring him to the Euro 2012 after scoring 3 goals for Benfica during the entire season? Hilarious.

MikeBison

Get busted for tapping up VVD but our minions have been doing it all summer. Mane with Keita. Lallana and Hendo with Ox.

Nothing stops the tapping up train.

Sane_Man

Get busted for tapping up VVD but our minions have been doing it all summer. Mane with Keita. Lallana and Hendo with Ox.

Nothing stops the tapping up train.

Everyone taps up, not that it justifies it. As if you'd approach a player and put bids in unless you've already spoken to them and know they're interested. Southampton were just (rightly) annoyed that we'd signed so many of their promising players. We did them a favour with Lovren though.

♪ When your day is long
And the night, the night is yours alone
When you're sure you've had enough
Of this life, well hang on
♫

That's beautiful, mate, but tell me...

any news there regarding Alexis?

Here in Chile a newspaper published a rumor that sounds fishy as hell: "lawyers" or some guys related to Man City travelled to Chile to have a meeting with Sánchez. Supposedly, they arrived today.

MikeBison

Everyone taps up, not that it justifies it. As if you'd approach a player and put bids in unless you've already spoken to them and know they're interested. Southampton were just (rightly) annoyed that we'd signed so many of their promising players. We did them a favour with Lovren though.

Oh, I know. Eh. Southampton were little bitches about it. They literally tapped up Mane and their agent made him go on strike at Salzburg so he'd push through a deadline day deal a few years ago. Kids in glasses houses and that. As you said, you obviously make sure a player is interested in coming. We didn't even get any punishment from the Premier league. I reckon Edwards should just stand outside Les Reed's office window for the next 24 hours holding a jumbo sized cheque.

Beefy

Oh, I know. Eh. Southampton were little bitches about it. They literally tapped up Mane and their agent made him go on strike at Salzburg so he'd push through a deadline day deal a few years ago. Kids in glasses houses and that. As you said, you obviously make sure a player is interested in coming. We didn't even get any punishment from the Premier league. I reckon Edwards should just stand outside Les Reed's office window for the next 24 hours holding a jumbo sized cheque.

Mane went on strike before he wanted to join us, as in he didn't strike to join us. He went on strike to join another team, it didn't work and that team went away. We came in a few months later. I know you hate Southampton, but come on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom