• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar FC

Dqmozk9.png

Deadline day is also your final day to get your predictions in for the 2017/18 season. For those of you smart enough to wait, we are taking entries for the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, and Serie A.

Example:

User: Lunar FC
League: Premier League

1. Manchester City
2. Liverpool
3. Manchester United
4. Chelsea
---
5. Tottenham
6. Arsenal
7. Everton
---
18. Swansea City
19. Watford
20. Huddersfield Town

*** Please format yours identical to mine. Thanks! ***

Just post yours in this thread and they will all be aggregated here. If you don't see yours, just shoot me a quick PM.

Rmagnus

Banned
User: Rmagnus

1. Liverpool
2. M.City
3. Chelsea
4. Spurs
---
5. Arsneal
6. Utd
7. New castle
---
18. Westham
19. Watford
20. Huddersfield Town

I didn't know there were so many Liverpool supporters in this community, might have to hang more often!

We got the Ox.

Well, there's my 'Fuck it, not my money' transfer of the season.

Reminds me of the Benteke and Balotelli deals.

Nah man, trust Klopp, Chambo has some good quality ready to be exploited, Arsenal wasn't the right environment.

My personal concern besides a CB is seeing Can seal a new deal, we forget he's on his last year and might go away for free next season. I want both Emre and Naby in the squad :(

Morning all and holy shit forgot about the predictions, sorry!

User: Stead Fast

1. Man City
2. Man Utd
3. Liverpool
4. Chelsea

--

5. Tottenham
6. Everton
7. Arsenal

--

18. Newcastle
19. West Ham
20. Southampton

AcridMeat

Banned
User: AcridMeat

1. Man. U
2. M. City
3. Liverpool
4. Chelsea
---
5. Spurs
6. Everton
7. Arsenal
---
18. West Ham
19. Crystal Palace
20. Brighton

I'm an Arsenal fan. :(
Sanches has gone to Swansea on a one year loan (8m loan fee)
Read this news earlier today, really liked the signing.

Granted I only saw Abraham do well against Crystal Palace, but I like a few of their young players there now. Should be fun to watch at least.

Arsenal prediction: We don't sign anyone but make a valiant effort for Jonny fucking Evans that lasts all day, we end up still having all of the actual "deadwood" (Campbell, Debuchy, etc.) we were hopeful of getting rid of at the start of the summer, and Alexis completes his transfer away. Is Mustafi gone already? If not, I bet he makes his way out too. I don't typically put much stock in the papers, but the recent whisperings are that he and Wenger openly dislike one another. Wenger's comments on Mustafi's possible transfer as well as sitting him last game validate the story, in my opinion.

Ramsey starts at least one game this season at right back.

Addnan

User: Addnan

1. Manchester City
2. Manchester United
3. Tottenham
4. Chelsea
---
5. Liverpool
6. Arsenal
7. Everton
---
18. West Ham
19. Swansea
20. Brighton

Atomic Odin

User: PropelledRage

1. Chelsea
2. Manchester City
3. Liverpool
4. Manchester United
---
5. Tottenham
6. Arsenal
7. Everton
---
18. Huddersfield Town
19. Brighton
20. Bournemouth

Lunar FC

I need to revamp my prediction. Can I? :/

Yeah, just edit your original post (which you can find a link to in the doc), and then just pm me to let me know. 👍

I would ideally like the deadline to be before the first matchweek, but late transfers always have the potential to shake things up.

GHG

Goals per game is a silly metric for Ox. He's been a sub most of the time. That stat is only peddled out by Arsenal fans to make fun of a guy who wants to leave. Plus the 9 goals is just league goals. Pretty sure it's more like 20 across all competitions.

Oh you guys are in for a treat.

Yeh sure, keep believing it's just Arsenal fans trying to make him look bad when we've been critical of him in terms of his end product the whole time he's at the club. He needs to take major steps forward in several areas of his game for him to become worth the fee Liverpool just paid for him.

I just don't understand Arsenal's transfer policy this window. Has Wenger misjudged the market and his own players? As soon as he signed a new contract they should've been aggressive in the market and brought in the players they wanted and got rid of the ones they didn't. Instead as usual everything is last minute and I don't understand it. It's like having 5 weeks to write a paper and pulling an all nighter the day before its due in to finish it.

Giving the manager a 2 year contract and having a window like this is unreal. I actually feel sorry for Wenger, he came here and revolutionised the game but it's obvious he cannot let go of his attachment to the club and the board didn't have the balls to find a replacement, and it has resulted in this mess.

Arsenal are going to have one hell of a rebuilding job one day, and if the market stays so crazily aggressive like it's been this window its going to be an almost impossible job.

I can’t tell if this is Kronke’s fault or Wenger’s. Regardless, Wenger takes a lot of blame for terrible transfer market strategy and it’s been this way for a few years now.

To be fair to him - in the beginning of the window we made a club record center forward signing and a Bundesliga player of the year left back which were really good. Lemar was a top target that was pretty public that didn’t go through. I think the goal was always to sell players and keep the likes of Alexis, Ozil, Giroud, and Ox - which we’re only now finding out that two of them really want to leave.

I’m surprised at Chamberlain - he doesn’t have the quality to break into any other top 6 side except at RWB. Alexis... we’ll see if we keep him or not. I’d personally be fine for selling him at 70+ to city, definitely so if a Lemar or Draxler come in, but its ok if they don’t. Alexis hasn’t played as a team for more than a season now, he thinks he’s better than us and isn’t the type to rally the troops but moan about it.

Lunar FC

Atleast that way we wouldn't have transfer requests dished out before the first game of the season ..

I was talking about the gaf predictions deadline, but I agree. The fact that the transfer deadline goes 3 weeks into the season and ends during an international break is beyond idiotic.

Anyways, i'm off to bed, hoping to wake up to notifications of pool breaking open the warchest for vvd & lemar. 🤞😬🤞

T-Rex.

Banned
Oh you guys are in for a treat.

Yeh sure, keep believing it's just Arsenal fans trying to make him look bad when we've been critical of him in terms of his end product the whole time he's at the club. He needs to take major steps forward in several areas of his game for him to become worth the fee Liverpool just paid for him.
I've seen a lot of Ox and I don't think it's a case of Arsenal fans trying to make him look bad, more that they don't know how he'll fit in our system. I mean him playing bad as a winger for Arsenal or in whatever the fuck your midfield is supposed to be (I don't even mean to take the piss, wtf is Ramsay's role in that midfield?!) ≠ playing in our midfield set-up. I mean all I've seen is Arsenal fans talk about how his crossing is shit and stuff like that, ok it probably is, but is that how Liverpool play? Does Lallana just cross the ball into the box, is that his role? Is that what Mane does, or Salah? How often do you see attacking Liverpool players stay wide and whip the ball into the box?

There'll be less pressure on him to get goals and assists as I'd imagine his primary role will be the Lallana one, i.e. break up play, win the ball back from the opposition as quickly as possible, and then break through the lines to carry the ball into the final 3rd to support the attacking players. Obviously he'll still be expected to chip in, but the pressure won't be on him to do so. I don't think anyone can deny that his work ethic is good, his ability to carry the ball up the pitch is good etc so I think he has the right attributes to succeed in our set-up. The fee is absolutely crazy for a player in his final year, but I don't really care. We've had a really shit squad for far too long so I'm happy we're addressing it.

Fredescu

I'm an Arsenal fan and his end product is terrible. Goals per game is still a meaningless statistic for him. Almost half of his league appearances were as a substitute (68 vs 64) so treating goals per game like it means anything at all is disingenuous.

The Leicester game is a good example of his end product. While chasing the game he blew so many good positions with shitty low percentage long shots. Somehow he was the Whoscored man of the match, but of the starters he had the fewest passes (outside of Cech and Laca) and the lowest pass accuracy. He put in 7 crosses and only 1 of those found a team mate. He took 6 shots with only 2 on target. He was way on top with 8 dribbles though, so he can beat defenders and get into good positions. He just has poor decision making when he gets there.

That decision making can be coached though. Wenger is notoriously hands off in that regard, preferring to rely on the intelligence of his players. Ox lacks this footballing intelligence, but he has enough skill that under a coach that drills his players, I think he will shine.

T-Rex.

Banned
He was way on top with 8 dribbles though, so he can beat defenders and get into good positions. He just has poor decision making when he gets there.

That decision making can be coached though. Wenger is notoriously hands off in that regard, preferring to rely on the intelligence of his players. Ox lacks this footballing intelligence, but he has enough skill that under a coach that drills his players, I think he will shine.
Yup, that lines up with my view of the player and is pretty much what I said in my post above. It's easy to talk about what he's bad at, but I feel like his dribbling ability and his ability to constantly get the ball up the pitch by breaking through lines is being massively downplayed. And playing for a Klopp team, in a Klopp midfield, you want a player that can do exactly that.

He had a year left on his contract so, for Arsene Wenger, it was an ideal situation.

Lol - I refuse to believe Wenger is dumb enough to actually mean that, just giving the media what it needs.

Am I in denial? I’m in denial aren’t I?

(How do I insert gifs from mobile?)

GHG

I've seen a lot of Ox and I don't think it's a case of Arsenal fans trying to make him look bad, more that they don't know how he'll fit in our system. I mean him playing bad as a winger for Arsenal or in whatever the fuck your midfield is supposed to be (I don't even mean to take the piss, wtf is Ramsay's role in that midfield?!) ≠ playing in our midfield set-up. I mean all I've seen is Arsenal fans talk about how his crossing is shit and stuff like that, ok it probably is, but is that how Liverpool play? Does Lallana just cross the ball into the box, is that his role? Is that what Mane does, or Salah? How often do you see attacking Liverpool players stay wide and whip the ball into the box?

There'll be less pressure on him to get goals and assists as I'd imagine his primary role will be the Lallana one, i.e. break up play, win the ball back from the opposition as quickly as possible, and then break through the lines to carry the ball into the final 3rd to support the attacking players. Obviously he'll still be expected to chip in, but the pressure won't be on him to do so. I don't think anyone can deny that his work ethic is good, his ability to carry the ball up the pitch is good etc so I think he has the right attributes to succeed in our set-up. The fee is absolutely crazy for a player in his final year, but I don't really care. We've had a really shit squad for far too long so I'm happy we're addressing it.

It's not just his crossing. When he goes on a run he tends to overdo it and doesn't know when the right time is to release the ball. The same with shooting and through balls, it's like he waits till the moment when it will be as difficult as possible before deciding what to do with the ball. Klopp will have a lot of work to do with him, especially if he's serious about playing him in midfield.

I'm an Arsenal fan and his end product is terrible. Goals per game is still a meaningless statistic for him. Almost half of his league appearances were as a substitute (68 vs 64) so treating goals per game like it means anything at all is disingenuous.

The Leicester game is a good example of his end product. While chasing the game he blew so many good positions with shitty low percentage long shots. Somehow he was the Whoscored man of the match, but of the starters he had the fewest passes (outside of Cech and Laca) and the lowest pass accuracy. He put in 7 crosses and only 1 of those found a team mate. He took 6 shots with only 2 on target. He was way on top with 8 dribbles though, so he can beat defenders and get into good positions. He just has poor decision making when he gets there.

The bold I agree with. Hence we've been a shambles for so long. Wenger has misjudged a lot of the players we currently have and obviously thought they are more intelligent (football wise) than they really are. The same goes for the self belief and determination side of things. In his successful years he had a team full of intelligent and driven footballers who he gave the freedom to flourish.

Now he's giving freedom to a bunch of kids/players who have been brought up in a world where they are used to being drilled, coddled and instructed on what to do. Hence they end up lost, unmotivated and taking far too long to figure out how to improve as a team and individually. That's why he constantly talks about wanting to find "street footballers" who haven't gone through the top academies because that's where he knows he will find players with the right ingedients to succeed under his coaching style. Unfortunately for him they don't really exist anymore and as such his coaching methods are not fit for the modern era.

T-Rex.

Banned
It's not just his crossing. When he goes on a run he tends to overdo it and doesn't know when the right time is to release the ball. The same with shooting and through balls, it's like he waits till the moment when it will be as difficult as possible before deciding what to do with the ball. Klopp will have a lot of work to do with him, especially if he's serious about playing him in midfield.
That's fair, I'm optimistic though cos a lot of people wrote off Firmino, Can, Lallana etc because they didn't look all that good under Rodgers, yet look at them under Klopp. I'm happy to think Klopp can coach that out of him.

unrealist

From a manager's or the board's point of view.. do you think they impulse buy/sell just like we do in real life (for other stuff we want of course) on the last day of the window?

User: Kill your Masters

1. Manchester United
2. Chelsea
3. Manchester City
4. Liverpool
---
5. Tottenham
6. Arsenal
7. Everton
---
18. Newcastle
19. West Ham
20. Brighton

Top 4 is so unpredictable this year in terms of who is winning it, it seems. I don't see a clear favorite.

sammex

I just found out this thread existed, and it seems there's plenty of LFC fans!
YNWA

R1fdEt3.gif

Palace bid for Mangala. Nutters, just pay the extra for Sakho you cheapskates.

Mangala wants Inter cos the Mustafi move broke down.

Evans wants City.

West Brom and Palace want Mangala.

No one wants Mustafi or Sakho.

Haha what a mess.

Tubie

If you believe the press from Barcelona today, they are close or trying to sign: Coutinho, Dybala, Di Maria, and Lemar.

Today might be a bigger shitshow than Florentino's broken fax machine.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
User: Markitron

1. Chelsea
2. Manchester City
3. Liverpool
4. Manchester United
---
5. Tottenham
6. Everton
7. Arsenal
---
18. Crystal Palace
19. West Ham
20. Brighton

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Welcome to the club guys, I think LFC might be the most supported team in FootyGAF now

It's not even close at this point. I'm sure things will change when more people get on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom