• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it'll depend on who we're playing. Can and Gini are fantastic against the teams that come out and play against us, but against the low block teams they're not very effective, Gini especially. So that midfield against the teams that will attack us (City, Chelsea, Spurs) maybe, and then Lallana or Ox in place of Can against the teams (West Brom, Man Utd etc) that will just put 11 men behind the ball. I dunno, interesting to see what Klopp does. We need to rotate anyway so I don't think we'll have a set starting XI.

Me and a friend of mine are literally of the same mind. Genuinely looking forwards to see what we do in the first game after a transfer window, which is something I haven't really felt since Suarez came in.

oilvomer

So LFC have had a good-ish window, still annoyed that it was Van than man or no one, surely that is a scouting error, as you should have multiple targets...

I would of been inclined to let Coutiniho go and go and got Lemar as it sounds like we could of got him but the cheaper option of OX presented itself. And I honestly don't feel we get the same amount next year fro Couts, Klopp now has a lot of forward talent to keep happy

So LFC have had a good-ish window, still annoyed that it was Van than man or no one, surely that is a scouting error, as you should have multiple targets...

I would of been inclined to let Coutiniho go and go and got Lemar as it sounds like we could of got him but the cheaper option of OX presented itself. And I honestly don't feel we get the same amount next year fro Couts, Klopp now has a lot of forward talent to keep happy

So would I (letting Cout go that is), however the circumstance is pretty well explained in this article from the Independent that Markitron posted a few pages back. It goes into a fair bit of detail surrounding the lack of professionalism from Braca, Cout, his agent, and Liverpool themselves. It's also a good lesson as to why we weren't even trying to get VVD by the end of the transfer window since the parallels are too severe. I think by the time this scandal got so much coverage, it wasn't about money to John Henry, it was saving face.

I'd have liked Lemar, but getting him in place of Cout would present the same problem you mentioned; keeping the attacking end of the pitch happy.

Just read a sports news on TV. Some ex-Arsenal free agent players who failed to find a new club:

- Jose Reyes
- Marouane Chamakh
- Kolo Toure
- Mathiue Flamini

Arsenal should've recruited Toure at least.

I think I heard Kolo was getting his coaching badges so he might not have been bothered about selling himself to clubs. It's more important to train the next generation of dodgy car salesmen.

MikeBison

Barca are claiming that we were willing to sell and had 'weeks of conversations but at the last moment asked for 200m'.

Every credible journalist agrees that we swatted away every bid immediately.

Barca are claiming that we were willing to sell and had 'weeks of conversations but at the last moment asked for 200m'.

Every credible journalist agrees that we swatted away every bid immediately.

They are trying to save face because the papers in Spain are ripping them to shred. Just like how the deal was hours away or how it was close or how he will be revealed on Wednesday etc etc

MikeBison

They are trying to save face because the papers in Spain are ripping them to shred. Just like how the deal was hours away or how it was close or how he will be revealed on Wednesday etc etc

I know why they're doing it, but I don't think anyone is buying it. Better to just say we tried every scummy tactic possible but John Henry just sat there with a fat cigar shaking his head.

Barcelona Chief

'Yesterday, after weeks of offers and talks, Liverpool valued a player we wanted at €200m. We decided against that.'

Of course

Regarding Neymar leaving

'The fact he activated a clause unilaterally and left for €222m (£198m) caused everyone to know that we had money. We managed to avoid jeopardising the club's heritage and finances. We won't play in this inflated market.'

But goes on to spend over £130 million on Dembélé. Ok buddy, we believe you.

I was happy with City's transfer window got rid of a lot, 28 in total (transfers and loans) which was really needed and brought in some players that look good in important areas that needed strengthening which should have been looked at a long time ago.

Mendy - Not seen much in sky blue but his movement was great, speed good and could do a basic holding job, can't describe how happy I was to see that on the left flank for years of that being taken the piss out of game after game. Excellent with the cross.
Walker - Looked decent before the red card, again not seen much but just being able to push the flanks properly and keep up with wingers makes a massive difference.
Danilo - Better than I expected can do a defencive shift on the left and has some decent crosses on the right that weren't really taken advantage of.
Ederson - Not really been tested and not made any mistakes. Most noticeable thing is that he can play the ball out well and has one hell of a kick on him, Liverpool should test him and I look forward to seeing that.
B Silva - Had a slow start but has had flashes of what he is capable of, can't wait to see what he brings to the team even if it is just an upgrade on Sterling.

Another left back, central defender and a centre mid would have been the perfect window but to expect that in a single window would be ridiculous and probably cause a lot of stability problems.

I'm hoping that now City have wing backs that can deliver decent crosses and get back in time to cover long balls it will force teams that in the past have opted to play a narrow low block (everyone besides Liverpool and Arsenal) to play a wider low block so it creates more room in the middle. If not its going to be a boring as fuck season.

I was happy with City's transfer window got rid of a lot, 28 in total (transfers and loans) which was really needed and brought in some players that look good in important areas that needed strengthening which should have been looked at a long time ago.

Mendy - Not seen much in sky blue but his movement was great, speed good and could do a basic holding job, can't describe how happy I was to see that on the left flank for years of that being taken the piss out of game after game. Excellent with the cross.
Walker - Looked decent before the red card, again not seen much but just being able to push the flanks properly and keep up with wingers makes a massive difference.
Danilo - Better than I expected can do a defencive shift on the left and has some decent crosses on the right that weren't really taken advantage of.
Ederson - Not really been tested and not made any mistakes. Most noticeable thing is that he can play the ball out well and has one hell of a kick on him, Liverpool should test him and I look forward to seeing that.
B Silva - Had a slow start but has had flashes of what he is capable of, can't wait to see what he brings to the team even if it is just an upgrade on Sterling.

Another left back, central defender and a centre mid would have been the perfect window but to expect that in a single window would be ridiculous and probably cause a lot of stability problems.

I'm hoping that now City have wing backs that can deliver decent crosses and get back in time to cover long balls it will force teams that in the past have opted to play a narrow low block (everyone besides Liverpool and Arsenal) to play a wider low block so it creates more room in the middle. If not its going to be a boring as fuck season.

Next weekend is gonna be intense. First heart-attack match of the season for me, I imagine.

Next weekend is gonna be intense. First heart-attack match of the season for me, I imagine.

Lets hope so. As much as I want to see City play fluid attacking football I really want to see what City's defence is like, if it is comfortable with what Liverpool can bring I will be happy, if it is an upgrade on last year I will be happy. If it's the same as before (i.e. open season on the wings) I will be pissed.

I think the game combined with the week after will be a good gage on how Liverpool are set up for title runners or top four. As it is City, Sevilla, Burnley if Liverpool don't bust a bollock on the Saturday but play well, have strong performance on the Wednesday then batter Burnley after that they will be title contenders as it means they will have addressed their biggest weakness for years.

kromeo

Just read a sports news on TV. Some ex-Arsenal free agent players who failed to find a new club:

- Jose Reyes
- Marouane Chamakh
- Kolo Toure
- Mathiue Flamini

Arsenal should've recruited Toure at least.

Flamini's been more interested in his business ventures than playing football for a while now

spidye

so Coutinho cried after he scored against ecuador

neymar says it's because of the failed transfer to barcelona
and he even says that coutinho cried again in the dressing room afterwards becuase he's so devastated

any truth to that? I just read it on Sportbild

and he even says that coutinho cried again in the dressing room afterwards becuase he's so devastated

snakes don't cry

I've been hearing this too. Can't be sympathetic to be honest, he helped make this bed he and the club are lying in right now. If he had any inkling that he'd be leaving this summer, why commit to a new contract? I know contracts don't mean shit to a lot of players and clubs, but he was giving a message he'd be a part of Klopp's plans. Given that, Klopp can't be faulted for wanting to keep one of, if not his most valuable players this season, when Cout decides to be fickle and chase the Nou Camp simply because they came booty-calling us. The club itself boxed themselves in to the point where the owner had to come out and declare he wasn't for sale, purely for the sake of making sure Liverpool's word on such subjects meant more than 'nothing'. I can imagine there'll be a lot of trepidation of playing here now too, given how he's fallen very far off the pecking order as far as fans are concerned, and given how he seems to be keeping his head fixed on international selection too, it's not like he can feign injury for the next year.

Purely as an aside, but if he was moving to Barca for the sake of glory, that wouldn't be the smarted club in Spain, let alone Europe, even had he completed a move.

No idea. If he can play like that when unhappy I don't think Liverpool have much to worry about. Great link up play with Jesus. There was still a day left for transfer business in spain though when Brazil played.

TimmmV

Coutinho really didn't seem the type to be such a twat about trying to leave. Such a shame, his reputation will be permanently altered at Liverpool because of his behaviour now, even if he does go back to performing like last season

pbsapeer

Banned
Problem with coutinho doing this is he's not as an amazing player as Suarez. So when Suarez wanted to leave and was kept, he still was a quality player.
I think coutinho is going to struggle this season because of the pressure to please fans. No doubt he'll get assists and goals but think it'll take alot to get fans back on his side.

El Topo

And neither is Dembele but they paid over £138 million for him. That amount is not that far from Neymar money.

In case of Dembele, you spend €150m on a 20 year-old that you think will become a superstar or (at least) an amazing player.
In case of Coutinho you spend €200m on a 25 year-old, as old as Neymar, that clearly never will be a superstar.

I think both cases are dumb, but it's very easy to see why they would not spend €200m on Coutinho.

Knuckle down Phil, play brilliant for us, go to the World Cup and win the bloody thing and then you can go to Barcelona if you want it so badly.

In case of Dembele, you spend €150m on a 20 year-old that you think will become a superstar or (at least) an amazing player.
In case of Coutinho you spend €200m on a 25 year-old, as old as Neymar, that clearly never will be a superstar and is...not exactly the most amazing player.

I think both cases are dumb, but it's very easy to see why they would not spend €200m on Coutinho.

Regardless of Cout's level versus Dembele or Neymar, it's a moot point. I honestly don't believe that a demand for €200m was ever even put forwards by Liverpool in the first place, which is what Unreal Champ seems to have been getting at by that first post, and Unreal Champ was simply noting that Barca saying:

We won't play in this inflated market.

Was already hypocritical given the price they were willing to pay for Dembele - and sell Neymar too for that matter. Barca look and sound like children right now.

Chris Bascombe‏ @_ChrisBascombe

LFC position on Barca claims today is they are absolutely false. Not true in any shape or form.

Guess the war is on now.

In case of Coutinho you spend €200m on a 25 year-old, as old as Neymar, that clearly never will be a superstar.

Juventus spent €90 million on a 28 year old and everyone know they are a stingy football team. So obviously age isn't a problem.

Regardless of Cout's level versus Dembele or Neymar, it's a moot point. I honestly don't believe that a demand for €200m was ever even put forwards by Liverpool in the first place, which is what Unreal Champ seems to have been getting at by that first post, and Unreal Champ was simply noting that Barca saying:

Was already hypocritical given the price they were willing to pay for Dembele - and sell Neymar too for that matter. Barca look and sound like children right now.

Thank you. That was my point exactly. Barca are looking like hypocrites because of that statement.

Dadasch

Agreed.
I feel like a lot of people seem to underestimate Dembele, because he isn't worth the transfer fee. Well, he absolutely isn't at this point, but if Dembele would have shown his skills in the EPL the reactions here would be entirely different.

GHG

Chris Bascombe‏ @_ChrisBascombe

LFC position on Barca claims today is they are absolutely false. Not true in any shape or form.

Guess the war is on now.

Liverpool vs Barca in a war of words...

I don't think we should believe either. Barca for obvious reasons and Liverpool for the fact that they pretended a buyout clause didn't exist when in fact it did (Suarez). Scum vs scum.

Liverpool vs Barca in a war of words...

I don't think we should believe either. Barca for obvious reasons and Liverpool for the fact that they pretended a buyout clause didn't exist when in fact it did (Suarez). Scum vs scum.

Except Liverpool didn't have a buyout clause for Suarez, there was a clause that if a club bid £40 million on him, they had to notify him, but it was up to the club if they wanted to sell. Even Wenger admitted that in an interview.

Labadal

I don't see the problem. Liverpool didn't want to sell. Just like Southampton didn't want to sell VVD. Players are under contract, deal with it.

I would have sold Coutinho.

Throwing Bilic under a bus

And this too:

DIt65zDXUAILP_X.jpg

CrayToes

Phil needs to grow the fuck up. He's only upset because he knows Barca are shit enough atm for him to actually get in to the first team. Can't wait for him to fuck off next year and sit on their bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom