• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Rex.

Banned
It feels like he plays as if he has to justify the price tag or something (or maybe he was always thick and I just never noticed it due to only occasionally watching Juve play). He's obviously got the ability, and physically he's a monster, but he just never makes the right decision. He'll beat a player and instead of playing a simple pass, he'll try to beat another, and another until he loses the ball. Or he'll dribble at stupid times and lose the ball. All he has to do is play smarter and he can easily dominate, but it doesn't look like happening just yet.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Plus Tesco were going to help build them a new stadium. Part of the deal meant that Goodison would have been turned into a Tesco supermarket.

Ahh, I didn't know this. I officially retract my Aldi comment.

Hudderfield Town are in the PL to play. We will surprise people this year. Don't judge us on the play off final.

Depends if you can adapt to the PL. Hudds played some decent attacking football especially for a championship side which could take many teams by surprise but that could also be their undoing as many teams will just shut up shop.

Depends if you can adapt to the PL. Hudds played some decent attacking football especially for a championship side which could take many teams by surprise but that could also be their undoing as many teams will just shut up shop.

True. We do lack pretty much any PL experience but I'm happy with our transfer business. Steve Mounié and Tom Ince will score goals and Mathias Jorgensen will be on the verge of a second yellow every game but should hopefully wind up some attackers

So Sanchez is out for a couple weeks according to Father Wenger. Abdominal injury.
I wonder if this is genuine or has a whiff of the infamous Fabregas "hamstring strain" right before being sold off to Barca lol

Hudderfield Town are in the PL to play. We will surprise people this year. Don't judge us on the play off final.

How's your defence?
If your team is even a bit leeky you'll be slaughtered.

Doc_Drop

Honestly gave us a massive scare at the end of last season, I thought you were taking second place and we'd mess up the playoff. You deserve the promotion but it will be a tough season. Good luck

Apparently Southampton are willing to let Van Dijk rot on the bench/reserves for the rest of the season.

Fair play to Southampton if they manage to do that

Kuros

Apparently Southampton are willing to let Van Dijk rot on the bench/reserves for the rest of the season.

I believe the quote is let him rot rather than sell to Liverpool. I think they'd be happy to sell now if Chelsea came in.

I think thats a really shitty thing to do for both club and player. Regardless of what went on behind the scenes it is only going to make things worse.

Tottenham had it right with Walker, he wanted to move so Potch dropped him almost immediately and was given club duties that no player likes doing, then when the transfer window came around they sold him for as much as they could possibly get. Sets a very good president for the mentality expected from the players and that if you aren't up for it you are cut out and there is always somebody that will take your place.

I think thats a really shitty thing to do for both club and player. Regardless of what went on behind the scenes it is only going to make things worse.

Tottenham had it right with Walker, he wanted to move so Potch dropped him almost immediately and was given club duties that no player likes doing, then when the transfer window came around they sold him for as much as they could possibly get. Sets a very good president for the mentality expected from the players and that if you aren't up for it you are cut out and there is always somebody that will take your place.

I reckon it's different for the Liverpool factor, they're just tired of us turning their players heads, and this is the perfect time to make an example out of one of them. 'Don't sign an ironclad lucrative contract unless you can live up to it.' Spurs' players all seem mostly in the level so they could throw out a bad apple easily.

OléGunner;245742758 said:
How's your defence?
If your team is even a bit leeky you'll be slaughtered.

On the whole not too back but a fair few games we got hammered, which didn't have the goal difference. Are strength was in possession.

We probably need another CB to be honest.

Honestly gave us a massive scare at the end of last season, I thought you were taking second place and we'd mess up the playoff. You deserve the promotion but it will be a tough season. Good luck

I always felt we were destined for the play offs from mid feb. We couldn't get out in front of Brighton or Newcastle (sorry, I don't know which you support). We didn't deserve to be in the automatics due to our consistency but felt we could beat anyone on our day.

We have a decent start and don't play on of the 'top' teams till the end of September.

Tosyn_88

It feels like he plays as if he has to justify the price tag or something (or maybe he was always thick and I just never noticed it due to only occasionally watching Juve play). He's obviously got the ability, and physically he's a monster, but he just never makes the right decision. He'll beat a player and instead of playing a simple pass, he'll try to beat another, and another until he loses the ball. Or he'll dribble at stupid times and lose the ball. All he has to do is play smarter and he can easily dominate, but it doesn't look like happening just yet.

Absolutely spot on!!
This happened against Liverpool at home and against Bournemouth at home. Whenever Pogba feels pressure or he puts pressure on himself to justify the price tag, he suddenly goes from world class to mediocre with his decision making. Either way, that's just 5% of his game over the course of a season!!! But people are ready to call him crap and overrated when Ronaldo has had off days, Messi has had off days, Kroos the coward and Modriç has had off days, you don't see people jump on them calling them overrated. In my opinion, anything United related is crap in most peoples eyes and it's just pure envy from my perspective.

tomtom94

Newcastle, yeh if you hit the ground running you'll be all good

Genuinely think this might be the first year in a while that none of the promoted teams go straight back down. Hughton is a really underrated manager and Huddersfield will have the surprise factor.

Bumhead

Banned

I agree. I think your possession play will surprise people and I don't think many will particularly relish going to the Galpharm. I expect you to pick up points at home.

It sounds obvious, but much will depend on what happens in both boxes. You got promoted absolutely on merit, don't get me wrong, but with a goal difference of-1 and without winning a game or scoring a goal through the play-offs.

I'm a Wednesday fan btw, but no bitterness (honest!). Definitely wanted you to do it over Reading. Just think a lot will depend on your ability to create chances and put them away; which was a question mark in the Championship and likely without the same level of defensive assurance in the PL. In terms of your style of play, i dont think theres ANY question Huddersfield are well set up for PL football.

Humidex

Genuinely think this might be the first year in a while that none of the promoted teams go straight back down. Hughton is a really underrated manager and Huddersfield will have the surprise factor.

Thoughts on who will go down yet?

Me? Watford, Swansea and West Ham (don’t ask me why about WHU, it’s just a funny feeling.)

tomtom94

Thoughts on who will go down yet?

Me? Watford, Swansea and West Ham (don’t ask me why about WHU, it’s just a funny feeling.)

West Brom, Burnley and Watford. Not necessarily in that order. West Brom is a gut feeling that Pulis peaked last season. Burnley I think losing Gray will hurt. Watford I was never that impressed with Silva.

I think Swansea will do well under Clement even if they lose Sigurdsson, like how they somehow finished 8th under Monk.

I expect Watford to do quite well under Marco Silva. Think it's too difficult to predict who will go down though, although I'd like to see West Brom and Burnley go. Stoke too but doubt it'll happen.

Absolutely spot on!!
This happened against Liverpool at home and against Bournemouth at home. Whenever Pogba feels pressure or he puts pressure on himself to justify the price tag, he suddenly goes from world class to mediocre with his decision making. Either way, that's just 5% of his game over the course of a season!!! But people are ready to call him crap and overrated when Ronaldo has had off days, Messi has had off days, Kroos the coward and Modriç has had off days, you don't see people jump on them calling them overrated. In my opinion, anything United related is crap in most peoples eyes and it's just pure envy from my perspective.

A big problem with transfer fees is a lot of fans focus on this in terms of player worth. Clubs however usually focus on wages in terms of worth instead, which is actually a much better figure to look at. A transfer fee is often offset and worked into a yearly budget with the larger payments going on two main factors, they hope to have serious plans for the player or/and they are prepared to pay the fee to prevent other clubs from getting the player. That's also without taking into account third party clauses and other bullshit that inflate the price but not always as straight forward as a figure seems.

United have a lot of problems when it comes to their midfield, Pogba is often left exposed and his positioning isn't that great at the best of times but watching that game yesterday Pogba actually had very few options available to him the vast majority of the game. Plus it is still a preseason cup with only a bit more respect than the other preseason competitive cups so isn't really a good place to judge on a players overall ability. If I was a United fan I would be slightly concerned about the positioning and decision making of Lukaku over any perceived inability of Pogba, especially combined with the fact that they haven't got Ibras contribution to build up play they had last year and they were all problems Lukaku had at Everton but they have loads of midfield options to provide Lukaku with the ball to where he is best suited.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
That prediction is based more on what I expect from Lacazette than from Solanke.

fOYHrVT.gif

Labadal

Seb Larrson to Hull, ehh?

It's one of few players that I really dislike. Guy's a prick. Never rated him when he played for us in the national team either. All he does is complain.

OCD Guy

That prediction is based more on what I expect from Lacazette than from Solanke.

Why is that? Because he was in Ligue 1.

If so it's the same old story we had when Ibra came to the Premier League.

"Anyone can score in Ligue 1" yet he done well in the Premier League and he's old, and barely mobile. Although Zlatans game has never been his pace.

Lacazette is going to trouble defences. He is clinical, quick and strong. That's exactly what does well in the Premier League.

The funny thing is that Ligue 1 teams are so shit Tottenham and Arsenal didn't demolish them....

The biggest flop is going to be Morata, and Conte ironically is going to have a "Mourinho" season. I just get a feeling Chelsea are seriously going to drop off...Conte will be gone before the end of the season.

faridmon

Seb Larrson to Hull, ehh?

It's one of few players that I really dislike. Guy's a prick. Never rated him when he played for us in the national team either. All he does is complain.

I always maintain my stance on Seb Larsen took the wrong turn while driving to a modelling agency and ended up in a Football camp where he got a contract there.

Conte's shortlist as per Evening Standard, copied from WAGNH blog:

Alexis Sánchez (not for sale)
Alex Sandro (not for sale)
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (not for sale)
Ross Barkley (Everton’d, plus Spurs well ahead)
Djibril Sidibé (Monaco don’t want to sell more players)
Virgil van Dijk (least immediate need, prefers Liverpool)
Adama Traoré (ugh)
Cedric Soares (Southampton’d)
Ryan Bertrand (Southampton’d, plus why would he come back?)
Mousa Dembélé (not leaving this summer)
Fernando Llorente (mayyyyybe)
Marco Verratti (LOL)
Faouzi Ghoulam (that’d be a surprise!)
Danny Drinkwater (there he is!)
Renato Sanches (not for sale or loan)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Sleeve sponsorship added to Liverpool shirts. Almost like a new signing. <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:58.333333333333336% 58.333333333333336%;background-size:4900%" data-codepoints="1f922"></span></span>

Western-Union-12-600x288.jpg

That'll fund VVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom