• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is that? Because he was in Ligue 1.

If so it's the same old story we had when Ibra came to the Premier League.

"Anyone can score in Ligue 1" yet he done well in the Premier League and he's old, and barely mobile. Although Zlatans game has never been his pace.

Lacazette is going to trouble defences. He is clinical, quick and strong. That's exactly what does well in the Premier League.

The funny thing is that Ligue 1 teams are so shit Tottenham and Arsenal didn't demolish them....

The biggest flop is going to be Morata, and Conte ironically is going to have a "Mourinho" season. I just get a feeling Chelsea are seriously going to drop off...Conte will be gone before the end of the season.

He's always had questions around his work rate and consistency. He is coming off a great year but I'm not convinced it'll hold or that Wenger is a manager capable of motivating him every game. I'm not very high on any of the big striker signings to be honest. They all have a lot of potential but I'm not thinking twice about predicting Kane for the Golden Boot.

MrS

Banned
I think Roma will have a bad season. They've lost Totti, Wojciech and Salah and haven't replaced them. Really hope Napoli can win Serie A but Juventus have gone wild again in the transfer market and will have Douglas Costa and Bernadeschi on the wings. Looking forward to seeing how the season plays out.

Loris146

I think Roma will have a bad season. They've lost Totti, Wojciech and Salah and haven't replaced them. Really hope Napoli can win Serie A but Juventus have gone wild again in the transfer market and will have Douglas Costa and Bernadeschi on the wings. Looking forward to seeing how the season plays out.

I don't like them too much. Roma lost Rudiger too.

He's always had questions around his work rate and consistency. He is coming off a great year but I'm not convinced it'll hold or that Wenger is a manager capable of motivating him every game. I'm not very high on any of the big striker signings to be honest. They all have a lot of potential but I'm not thinking twice about predicting Kane for the Golden Boot.

Lacazette will smash in the goals Wally scuffs, Giroud skies or Welbz air kicks.
We've not had a clinical striker on this level since RvP.

That being said, I think he's still quite below the highest quality strikers in the game.

CrayToes

Sleeve sponsorship added to Liverpool shirts. Almost like a new signing. 🤢

Western-Union-12-600x288.jpg

Just like that, the nicest kit we've had in years is ruined. Oh well, at least it's not Tinder.

Loris146

Yeah they did didn't they. Mad ting. There's surely no way Roma will be in the top 3 with how Napoli, Juve and AC Milan will play.

They lost Spalletti too :( One of the best coach in the league. Milan still need a top Striker and a midfielder to improve the bench.

OCD Guy

Yeah I agree that none of them are really spectacular.

It's been years since the premier league had some real awesome strikers. Kane always seems a good bet to be up there, but what worries me is Tottenhams lack of transfer activity. I don't think their squad is that good. No real depth, and add Wembley to the equation (where they have a bad history) and I feel this season will be a disaster for them.

All Tottenham need is 3 injuries, Alderweireld, Alli, and Kane and they're fucked lol. I know you could apply that logic to a lot of teams in the premier league, but it's when you look at teams like Man City that you realise how good their squad is. They could lose De Bruyne and Aguero and not really affect them.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yeah I agree that none of them are really spectacular.

It's been years since the premier league had some real awesome strikers. Kane always seems a good bet to be up there, but what worries me is Tottenhams lack of transfer activity. I don't think their squad is that good. No real depth, and add Wembley to the equation (where they have a bad history) and I feel this season will be a disaster for them.

Certainly hope so

I agree. I think your possession play will surprise people and I don't think many will particularly relish going to the Galpharm. I expect you to pick up points at home.

It sounds obvious, but much will depend on what happens in both boxes. You got promoted absolutely on merit, don't get me wrong, but with a goal difference of-1 and without winning a game or scoring a goal through the play-offs.

I'm a Wednesday fan btw, but no bitterness (honest!). Definitely wanted you to do it over Reading. Just think a lot will depend on your ability to create chances and put them away; which was a question mark in the Championship and likely without the same level of defensive assurance in the PL. In terms of your style of play, i dont think theres ANY question Huddersfield are well set up for PL football.

Our home has form has not been great over recent years but that will have to change this season if we have any hope of staying up.

The amount of missed chances we had was shocking.

I think our defense is going to be the biggest unknown going into this season.

I always want a Yorkshire team to do well (unless it's Leeds or Bradford)

MrS

Banned
They lost Spalletti too :( One of the best coach in the league. Milan still need a top Striker and a midfielder to improve the bench.
Ouch. Really bad summer for Roma. At least Nainggolan signed a contract extension.

What's going on with Tottenham this summer? Do they have to use the money generated from the sale of Walker and Bentaleb to fund the new stadium? They can't really afford to not bring in new players if they want to finish top 3 again.

Edit: Spot on, OCDguy

OCD Guy

Certainly hope so

Don't worry you'll finish higher than them in my opinion :)

A team I think are going to surprise a few people this year is Everton. I can see them creeping into the top 4...

What's going on with Tottenham this summer? Do they have to use the money generated from the sale of Walker and Bentaleb to fund the new stadium? They can't really afford to not bring in new players if they want to finish top 3 again.

Exactly.

People say Arsenal are tight, but Tottenham are on a different level lol.

Kill3r7

Exactly.

People say Arsenal are tight, but Tottenham are on a different level lol.

The Spurs are in a tough spot. Elite players are arguably out of their price range and anybody they buy will be an expensive squad player. They are better off rolling with what they got for one more year and play youngsters.

OCD Guy

The Spurs are in a tough spot. Elite players are arguably out of their price range and anybody they buy will be an expensive squad player. They are better off rolling with what they got for one more year and play youngsters.

Well hopefully the youngsters will step up. I still think they're in desperate need of some squad players though. A few key injuries would affect them more than a lot of other top teams in the premiership.

I wonder how long Kane and Alli will stay there too. I could see Alli playing abroad at some point.

Speaking of expensive players, Bayerns transfer business is something else, they spend relatively low amounts on players and have some of the best players in the world.

Cpt Lmao

We (Spurs) should have signed Zaha and Sigurdsson at the beginning of the window, proceeded with all of our outgoings as planned (minus Walker) and called it a day.

This window has been a joke, and is likely to go down as the worst window in the club's history (worse than 2012 Nelsen and Saha).

We could see Poch, Alli, Eriksen and Toby all leave next summer.

T-Rex.

Banned

A team I think are going to surprise a few people this year is Everton. I can see them creeping into the top 4...
I don't see it in all honesty. Everyone's predicting them to do well based on their signings, but they've lost their top scorer and haven't really replaced him, and all their signings are really slow. Where's the pace at? Don't really see where the goals are coming from either; Bolasie is awful, Mirallas is incredibly inconsistent, and Rooney is Rooney.

Addi

Oh, a football thread! Arsenal fan here, it was a nice win on sunday, Kolasinac is a beast!

Going to set up my fantasy team today, I always struggle setting up a good team at the start, the surprise players from the year before always go up in price :p

DBT85

Kane will score more than all of them.

Ehh, were it not for smashing 7 in the last 2 games (hardly typical) of last season he wouldn't have won the golden boot. On top of that Spurs were a much better attacking side than Everton.

Lukaku scoring goals won't be the challenge that United have this year. He'll net 25 in the PL probably and that's fine. The issue is getting the rest of the squad to notch 50 more between them.

T-Rex.

Banned
Is Jesus likely to start over Aguero? The only City player I have in my team at the moment is KdB cos I'm fairly certain he'll start most of their matches, and he's ace.

Is Jesus likely to start over Aguero? The only City player I have in my team at the moment is KdB cos I'm fairly certain he'll start most of their matches, and he's ace.

This is same for me, I want Jesus but he's a lot of my budget to be stuck on the bench.

Lunar FC

The real fantasy football question is:

What City players do you get in?

Aguero? KDB? Jesus? SANE?! STERLING!?!??!

I've been looking for a way to swap Mahrez for KDB, but I'm still .5 mil short.

Edit: Just found my solution. Welp, the league is surely mine.

faridmon

I don't see it in all honesty. Everyone's predicting them to do well based on their signings, but they've lost their top scorer and haven't really replaced him, and all their signings are really slow. Where's the pace at? Don't really see where the goals are coming from either; Bolasie is awful, Mirallas is incredibly inconsistent, and Rooney is Rooney.

Disagree with you on that part. Bolasie when he was fit was one of our better attacking players we had and that including Lukaku

The preoblem we are facing right now is that we have way too many Central midfielders and not enough wide players. Bolasie is injured, Lennon is out of form and Miralles (as much as I like him) will not get to start every game.

This means our plays will be very narrow, mainly being focused on opening defense through prices balls to striker (Thats where Siggurdson comes in). Pace doesn't matter when we are not focusing on width, but we need midfield dominance which we sort of don't have. Klassen is slow, Davies is raw, Shneiderlin and Gana are Defensive Midfielders and Barkley is off. We need attacking minded players which we currently don't have

Kill3r7

Well hopefully the youngsters will step up. I still think they're in desperate need of some squad players though. A few key injuries would affect them more than a lot of other top teams in the premiership.

I wonder how long Kane and Alli will stay there too. I could see Alli playing abroad at some point.

Speaking of expensive players, Bayerns transfer business is something else, they spend relatively low amounts on players and have some of the best players in the world.

Bayern operate in a complete different market but they are starting to feel the squeeze as well.

T-Rex.

Banned
Disagree with you on that part. Bolasie when he was fit was one of our better attacking players we had and that including Lukaku

The preoblem we are facing right now is that we have way too many Central midfielders and not enough wide players. Bolasie is injured, Lennon is out of form and Miralles (as much as I like him) will not get to start every game.

This means our plays will be very narrow, mainly being focused on opening defense through prices balls to striker (Thats where Siggurdson comes in). Pace doesn't matter when we are not focusing on width, but we need midfield dominance which we sort of don't have. Klassen is slow, Davies is raw, Shneiderlin and Gana are Defensive Midfielders and Barkley is off. We need attacking minded players which we currently don't have
Is there any reason you guys didn't go for Hernandez? I think you'll be fine if you sign a striker, but like you say they squad is unbalanced as it is.

Beefy

Saints have Virgin Media as their sleeve sponsor. I guess the Prem are going to have sponsors all over their shirts soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom