• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

£5 million
pkhy8Gj.gif

MrS

Banned
1- He is a very good player
He's a decent player. He wasn't good enough for Tottenham and wouldn't get a game for Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or Tottenham now. And that's why everybody baulks at the price. £50m for him is a piss take and Everton would be mugs to pay it.

Zasa

...but that's what Everton are paying for, the best player outside the Top 7 clubs that's PL proven over a number of years.

You're the one that acted incredulous that Everton are paying this amount when it makes complete sense...?
Well that's your opinion, & this is my different view on it. My argument is that it doesn't make complete sense. Hence I don't rate him for that amount of money & I think there are other players that are just as good, are either younger, &/or much cheaper that Everton could get

I'm not sure what's so hard for you to understand here.

Liverpool have rejected a second bid from Barca

Chris Bascombe‏@_ChrisBascombe 2m2 minutes ago

LFC have rejected bid of 100m euros for Coutinho from Barca. Barca have been told (again) he’s not for sale. LFC consider the matter closed…

Kyoufu

Jack Colback not being in our PL squad has increased our survival chances by at least 10%. Dreadful player. A black hole of creativity. We'll pay you to take him off our hands.

faridmon

He's a decent player. He wasn't good enough for Tottenham and wouldn't get a game for Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or Tottenham now. And that's the problem. £50m for him is a piss take and Everton would be mugs to pay it.

While I agree with you, 50Million is way too much money for him, I disagree on everything else. Spurs never played him to his strength and became a second fiddle to inferior midfielders at the time, He was incredible for Swansea last season with 85% goal contrubution.

I never get this argument that ''he wouldn't get a game for top 6 teams''

Kante never couldn't get a game for top 6 teams before he won the league, Lukaku never couldn't get a game for top 6 teams before he scored loads of goals for 4 seasons and heck, Victor Moses wouldn't still get a game for top 6 teams and he bloody won a title with Chelsea

Well that's your opinion, & this is my different view on it. My argument is that it doesn't make complete sense. Hence I don't rate him for that amount of money & I think there are other players that are just as good, are either younger, &/or much cheaper that Everton could get

But its not matter of opinion, is it? 2 managers who earn money managing Premier League teams deemed he was good enough to negotiation 50 Million between them for said player, based on statistics and his style of play. If there were players that are as good, either younger and or much cheaper, and would give us what Siggurdson would give us, then Koaman would have absolutely consider that player.

He is expensive, no doubt, but when there is TV money to burn away, why not go for him?

Syder

1. Everton want a proven PL player
  2. Proven PL players are really expensive now
It's not really an opinion, that's how it is now.

MrS

Banned
While I agree with you, 50Million is way too much money for him, I disagree on everything else. Spurs never played him to his strength and became a second fiddle to inferior midfielders at the time, He was incredible for Swansea last season with 85% goal contrubution.

I never get this argument that ''he wouldn't get a game for top 6 teams''

Kante never couldn't get a game for top 6 teams before he won the league, Lukaku never couldn't get a game for top 6 teams before he scored loads of goals for 4 seasons and heck, Victor Moses wouldn't still get a game for top 6 teams and he bloody won a title with chelsea
Gylfi had his shot at a big club and he blew it. Everton are a terrible club in the same way Swansea are and I don't know why he would want to move sideways instead of forward. If he's as good as you say, why aren't bigger clubs than Everton after him?

Zasa

1. Everton want a proven PL player
  2. Proven PL players are really expensive now
It's not really an opinion, that's how it is now.
& it's a shame, really

At least Swansea got one of the best midfielders in La Liga last season for cheap

OCD Guy

LFC have rejected bid of 100m euros for Coutinho from Barca. Barca have been told (again) he's not for sale. LFC consider the matter closed...

I still can't believe they're going for Coutinho in the first place. What on earth is going on at Barca.

I remember the days when they had the best players in the world, but all their recent transfer business has been absolutely shit. The last one of worth was Neymar in 2013.

I mean just look at last seasons transfer window, none of those players are Barcelona quality....Lucas Digne, Gomes, Umtiti etc

And this window has been no better really. Even the names they've been seriously linked with are laughable.

They're gonna go through an AC Milan phase once the likes of Messi retire...

Tubie

LFC have rejected bid of 100m euros for Coutinho from Barca. Barca have been told (again) he’s not for sale. LFC consider the matter closed…

But the Catalan press said it was only a matter of hours (this morning) before the deal was done.

Syder

£0

2580.png
Gylfi had his shot at a big club and he blew it. Everton are a terrible club in the same way Swansea are I don't know why he would want to move sideways instead of forward. If he's as good as you say, why aren't bigger clubs than Everton after him?
This is just wrong. Spurs were like a different club when Sigurðsson was there (André Villas-Boas/Tim Sherwood) and Sigurðsson has improved and adapted since then.
& it's a shame, really
It is and it stays that way for the foreseeable future, the days of getting Patrick Viera for 3.5m are long gone.

faridmon

Gylfi had his shot at a big club and he blew it. Everton are a terrible club in the same way Swansea are and I don't know why he would want to move sideways instead of forward. If he's as good as you say, why aren't bigger clubs than Everton after him?

Maybe you should read what I wrote, earlier

Spurs Mismanaged him, and he flourished at Swansea

Can you explain to me De Bryne, Salah, Matic, Sturidge, Hummels, Lukaku, Isco, Coleman, etc?

They had their shot at big club yet, they flourished?

To your next question, Explain to me this, why didn't the bigger club chase after Eriksen?

& it's a shame, really

At least Swansea got one of the best midfielders in La Liga last season for cheap

But is it really? Again, there is a strong case of cognitive dissonance with your comments.

He is expensive, but if he succeeds then we got a good deal, if he doesn't then we got a bad deal. Simple

and Swansea is gonna go down if they sell Siggurdsson (Sorry Pulse!)

MrS

Banned
This is just wrong. Spurs were like a different club when Sigurðsson was there (André Villas-Boas/Tim Sherwood) and Sigurðsson has improved and adapted since then.
Sherwood was good at Tottenham. He gave Kane his debut iirc. You boys overrate Sigurdsson so much. Is he amazing in your FM team or something?

To your next question, Explain to me this, why didn't the bigger club chase after Eriksen?
Utd tried to sign Eriksen years ago and failed, for reasons unknown. You are creating a narrative of mismanagement because your club is trying to sign Gylfi, and that's fine, but lets just call it what it is. He's average and not worth £50m. Everybody ITT knows it.

Syder

Sherwood was good at Tottenham. He gave Kane his debut iirc. You boys overrate Sigurdsson so much. Is he amazing in your FM team or something?
Name a better player outside the Top 7 clubs

and no, Sherwood was not 'good' at Spurs

faridmon

Utd tried to sign Eriksen years ago and failed, for reasons unknown. You are creating a narrative of mismanagement because your club is trying to sign Gylfi, and that's fine, but lets just call it what it is. He's average and not worth £50m. Everybody ITT knows it.

and you are just stating flawed statement to prove some sort of point that really doesn't need one. He is a fine player (Berry Glendenning called him his favourite player last season) but sure, keep create a narrative that everyone ITT agrees you if it helps you sleep better at night

85% goal contribution doesn't lie

Lanzini not a creative midfielder
VVD ?
Gabbiadini Not a creative midfielder
Butland THE KEEPER?
Vardy Not a creative midfielder
Mahrez not a creative midfilder
Potentially Grey at Leicester not a creative midfielder
Carroll if he's fit not a creative midfielder
Fucking Xedran Shakiri not really, but also not a creative midfielder
Maybe Arnautovic on his day not a creative midfielder

MrS

Banned
and you are just stating flawed statement to prove some sort of point that really doesn't need one. He is a fine player (Berry Glendenning called him his favourite player last season) but sure, keep create a narrative that everyone ITT agrees you if it helps you sleep better at night

85% goal contribution doesn't lie
Barry Glendenning is a fucking idiot, and I like The Guardian podcast.

EDIT: I was asked to name 7 better players, not 7 creative midfielders.

Syder

Lanzini
VVD
Gabbiadini
Butland
Vardy
Mahrez
Potentially Grey at Leicester
Carroll if he's fit
Fucking Xedran Shakiri
Maybe Arnautovic on his day
VvD might be a better defender than Sigurðsson is a CAM but everyone else you listed isn't as good as Sigurðsson, or at the very least hasn't been performing as consistently as he has for as long as he has

38 games, 3,327 minutes, 9 goals, 13 assists whilst surrounded by sub-par players - Calling Gylfi Sigurðsson average is just disingenuous

Zasa

But is it really? Again, there is a strong case of cognitive dissonance with your comments.

He is expensive, but if he succeeds then we got a good deal, if he doesn't then we got a bad deal. Simple

and Swansea is gonna go down if they sell Siggurdsson (Sorry Pulse!)

Well that goes without saying for every transfer. Hope he works out for you.

faridmon

Barry Glendenning is a fucking idiot, and I like The Guardian podcast.

EDIT: I was asked to name 7 better players, not 7 creative midfielders.

Maybe the price tag has something to do with the fact that there aren't creative midfielders who are better than him outside of top 7?

I like Barry Glendenning *Shrugs*

Well that goes without saying for every transfer. Hope he works out for you.

Well I hope so, if he doesn't succeeds. We are in major trouble. We are banking on someone who can open up defenses since we are a very narrow team

MrS

Banned
VvD might be a better defender than Sigurðsson is a CAM but everyone else you listed isn't as good as Sigurðsson, or at the very least hasn't been performing as consistently as he has for as long as he has

38 games, 3,327 minutes, 9 goals, 13 assists whilst surrounded by sub-par players - Calling Gylfi Sigurðsson average is just disingenuous
I said he was good, just not very good. When you tell me I can't pick from 7 teams, almost half of the league and indeed the better half of the league, that severely limits the players who are better than him that I can name. I'd definitely take Shaqiri over him though. Maybe Lanzini and Antonio too.

Why don't you tell me which of the top 6 clubs you think he'd get in to the starting XI for?

Well I hope so, if he doesn't succeeds. We are in major trouble. We are banking on someone who can open up defenses since we are a very narrow team
Why not give Tom Davies more game time? You'd be fine with Barkley if your manager wasn't so arrogant.

Syder

I said he was good, just not very good. When you tell me I can't pick from 7 teams, almost half of the league and indeed the better half of the league, that severely limits the players who are better than him that I can name. I'd definitely take Shaqiri over him though.
Everton can't exactly go poaching player from teams above them. They want PL-proven players and they can't take anyone from the Top 6, which limits their pool of players to buy from, which drives the price up.

Outside of a few flashes of brilliance, Xherdan Shaqiri has been below average since signing for Stoke - 22 appearances, 1,781 minutes, 4 goals 2 assists

MrS

Banned
Everton can't exactly go poaching player from teams above them. They want PL-proven players and they can't take anyone from the Top 6, which limits their pool of players to buy from, which drives the price up.
Then why have they bought a lad from the Belgian league, a lad from the Dutch league, a lad from the Spanish league, all of whom are u n p r o v e n in the PL?

Loris146

The market is just crazy.

Example :

Kaka 2003 around 7.5 ML
Pato 2008 around 20 ML
Vinicius Junior 2017 ( Real signed him i think ) around 45 Ml

faridmon

Then why have they bought a lad from the Belgian league, a lad from the Dutch league, a lad from the Spanish league, all of whom are u n p r o v e n in the PL?

Them being unproven could be their undoing. No one disagrees with you there. They are a risky proposition

Syder

because you can't spend £50m multiple times unless you're City.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom