• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

https://twitter.com/espnuk/status/895299979564208129

I've never wanted something to be more true in my life
isco.png

jts

...hate me...
Sure, his club will be receiving the funds.
Well, yeah, but in the current market he won't buy anywhere near De Bruyne + Bernardo Silva for that money :p

I just feel that it was framed like a comparison as if City had sold KdB and B-Silva for the same amount as Liverpool is selling one single player. As it stands, it highlights really good business by MC as a buying club -- although also at least just as good business by Liverpool as a selling club.

Syder

Well, yeah, but in the current market he won't buy anywhere near De Bruyne + Bernardo Silva for that money :p

I just feel that it was framed like a comparison as if City had sold KdB and B-Silva for the same amount as Liverpool is selling one single player. As it stands, it highlights really good business by MC as a buying club -- although also at least just as good business by Liverpool as a selling club.
Let me put it this way, I don't think Barca spending the Neymar money on Coutinho is a good investment.

Jarnet87

Isco should consider himself lucky he didnt go to United, but i doubt he would have chosen a fergieless United over Madrid. Fergie was taking all kinds of L's against Madrid around that time in the transfer window anyways. Ozil, Modric, Varane.

Zasa

Would be crazy if Spurs lose one of the top 2 RB's & the best LB in the PL in the same window without adequate replacements (granted, Trippier's alright). Kind of sucks it's pretty late in the window as well & the top targets are probably gone. If Rose does end up leaving, Dalbert could have been an ideal replacement.

Syder

Would be crazy if Spurs lose one of the top 2 RB's & the best LB in the PL in the same window without adequate replacements (granted, Trippier's alright). Kind of sucks it's pretty late in the window as well & the top targets are probably gone. If Rose does end up leaving, Dalbert could have been an ideal replacement.
They've still got Kyle Walker
-Peters

Tubie

Isco's release clause right now is only 150m :|

Will probably go up to 1b when he signs a new contract this year.

Thankfully no petro-club was able to sign him whew.

Nice to see this thread. Chelsea fan here, currently living in LA. Try to catch the games when I can.

Hope Morata does well, nervous about all our departures and relatively few signings. Wish we gave some of our young players more opportunities.

Lunar FC

What's up, FootballGAF?

Haven't posted here since 2015 (RIP old FootballGAF) but I'll try and be active during the season. I support Chelsea.

Nice to see this thread. Chelsea fan here, currently living in LA. Try to catch the games when I can.

Hope Morata does well, nervous about all our departures and relatively few signings. Wish we gave some of our young players more opportunities.

Welcome!

Season begins tomorrow.

tenor.gif

Tosyn_88

It's funny how Everton and Spurs expect teams to do them favours when they are a major contributor to inflating player prices. I think some clubs think the actions they take exist in a vacuum and that other clubs aren't watching what is happening.

They should pay the demands of Swansea if they want Sigurdson so bad. They can't expect other clubs to do them favours when they are ready to fleece top clubs of money.

In the case of Southampton, I think they felt they had reached a point where they aren't interested in selling another player to Liverpool especially. Perhaps, the club feels it doesn't have enough time to recover especially considering the amount of departures that happened in the last three seasons. Pelle, Shaw, Clyne, Alderweried, Schneiderlin, Mane, Wanyama, Chambers etc I feel Liverpool should give them some breathing room before trying to approach them again.

RocknRola

Premier League total sponsorship worth this season (minus sleeve deals):

PL-shirt-deals-17-18%2Bcopy.jpg

Worth noting the big difference between the top 6 and the 7th club on the list (West Ham). Quite a drop.

And for comparison, just to get a good sense of the growth here are the totals from 2009/2010 and 2010/2011:

EPLshirts10-11as13.8.10.jpg

All dat money!!

elseanio

Really dissapointed of our new sponsors.

Guess I'll keep the Chang Beer top from 2010 - 2011 even longer

Ahhh didn't know you changed from Chang. Funny how you get attached to a particular sponser, I was sad to so Carlsberg go.

Don't Everton have an elephant mascot as well, presumably linked to Chang?

faridmon

Ahhh didn't know you changed from Chang. Funny how you get attached to a particular sponser, I was sad to so Carlsberg go.

Don't Everton have an elephant mascot as well, presumably linked to Chang?

Sadly Everything that has something to do with Chang has disappeared

Now we are promoting a fucking Gambling company from Africa which is worse since they exploit the poor in that region even further

I am disgusted

Jerry

I love Danny Rose, he stayed with us even though he got a lot of stick the first few years, and he has proved himself to be one of, if not the best LB in the league. But the interview he did with the sun this morning dont sit right with me.

I hope the comments are intended to motivate the board to spend money but it realy does look like he could leave.

If he does leave, I hear Danny Rose-Peters isn't far off the first team though.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I can't find anything specific on it but is it not now true that they can't have alcohol sponsors, or is it just coincidence that none of the EPL clubs do anymore?

CrayToes

I love Danny Rose, he stayed with us even though he got a lot of stick the first few years, and he has proved himself to be one of, if not the best LB in the league. But the interview he did with the sun this morning dont sit right with me.

I hope the comments are intended to motivate the board to spend money but it realy does look like he could leave.

If he does leave, I hear Danny Rose-Peters isn't far off the first team though.

What has he said? Rose is right up there with Kane & Alli as players Spurs simply can't afford to lose.

Moobabe

What has he said? Rose is right up there with Kane & Alli as players Spurs simply can't afford to lose.

It's a pretty frank, and damning, interview tbf. The sort you don't see very often in Football. He's chatting about how he "knows his worth," about how the club should sign players that "you don't have to Google to find out who they are" etc

Spurs must be livid this morning.

CrayToes

It's a pretty frank, and damning, interview tbf. The sort you don't see very often in Football. He's chatting about how he "knows his worth," about how the club should sign players that "you don't have to Google to find out who they are" etc

Wow. Danny never seemed like the type. Spurs must be shitting themselves.

T-Rex.

Banned
Sadly Everything that has something to do with Chang has disappeared

Now we are promoting a fucking Gambling company from Africa which is worse since they exploit the poor in that region even further

I am disgusted
Yeah it doesn't sit right with me either. It's pretty grim seeing Klopp on TV promoting a betting company.

Jerry

I'll link the Spurs subreddit where someone copied the whole article, not going to give The Sun clicks.

Spurs subreddit

Hes basically moaning about the lack of signings as seemingly a lack of ambition, as well as reflecting that he doesnt have long left in his own career and is seemingly angling for a big payday and some trophies before his career is over.

All that is fair enough, but the timing of it with the Walker transfer and the fans pent up frustration about lack of signings its just bad. He also signed a 4 (5?) year deal only 11 months ago.

Potch has exiled players for far less, i.e. Townsend and Adebayor. Will be interesting to see what he does with Danny.

Poaching

Like neogaf own them lmao

I am all for being poached, we just need to discuss the matter of my sign-on fee. My father will handle the negotiations (HINT: He likes hookers)

Spurs are gonna need a really strong response on this one. Though I'm honestly not sure what the best way to handle it is.

Moobabe

Wow. Danny never seemed like the type. Spurs must be shitting themselves.

I feel really sorry for Spurs.

I'm a Chelsea fan, but first and foremost I'm a football fan. I love watching great teams and great players, I love seeing different styles and different tactics.

While it's been a bit shit watching Spurs be successful, it also made me so envious of the way they were going about things:

Harry Kane - some nobody who couldn't hack it on loan at Leicester.
Kyle Walker - rubbish, can't defend, can't attack, signed from a Championship club.
Danny Rose - useless for years
Dele Alli - Some punk kid signed from MK Dons
Eriksen - Over rated, never gonna cut it in the PL

The list goes on - but look at what they've achieved while spending millions and millions and millions of pounds less on wages on transfers. That's what I want to see Chelsea doing - hunting for players, giving guys a chance who maybe don't light up the world in their first few games, or even their first season.

It's a shame, but sadly, I suppose, the reality of football now. Money talks and that really is all that matters now.

Premier League total sponsorship worth this season (minus sleeve deals):

PL-shirt-deals-17-18%2Bcopy.jpg

Worth noting the big difference between the top 6 and the 7th club on the list (West Ham). Quite a drop.

And for comparison, just to get a good sense of the growth here are the totals from 2009/2010 and 2010/2011:

EPLshirts10-11as13.8.10.jpg

All dat money!!

Jesus, almost tripling the overall sponsorship in less than a decade. Or hell, counting from the 09-10 season, quadrupling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom