• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Dembele is expected in Catalonia 'in the next few hours' to sign for Barcelona, report L'Equipe.

On what planet is Mbappe "overrated"? The kid is 18 and already has more CL goals than players like Costa and Hazard.

I think he is massively overrated. He is really good but he hasn't shown anything to suggest he is actually worth the level of hype he is getting. His best game was against Dortmund, many of his best games were before teams became aware of his quality and was often given the freedom to play. Once teams became aware of this (especially that he needs to turn to play) or Monaco adapted their tactics so he had to do a job and couldn't just float about he wasn't anywhere near as good.

When you look at the teams that he is linked with Real, Barca, PSG, City, Arsenal and Liverpool he isn't going to be given the freedom he gets at Monaco unless there is a big change in their play style and is against teams that will happily just knock him every time he goes for a ball or man mark him all game (PSG being the exception).

Very much reminds me of young players that have a great WC or Euro, become hyped and make a move to a big money club but they can't do what is asked of them when they get there.

faridmon

People keep forgetting that he is 18 year old and helped Monaco to win the League against the giant PSG and reach later stages of Champions League

an 18 year old

I think he is massively overrated. He is really good but he hasn't shown anything to suggest he is actually worth the level of hype he is getting. His best game was against Dortmund, many of his best games were before teams became aware of his quality and was often given the freedom to play. Once teams became aware of this (especially that he needs to turn to play) or Monaco adapted their tactics so he had to do a job and couldn't just float about he wasn't anywhere near as good.

When you look at the teams that he is linked with Real, Barca, PSG, City, Arsenal and Liverpool he isn't going to be given the freedom he gets at Monaco unless there is a big change in their play style and is against teams that will happily just knock him every time he goes for a ball or man mark him all game (PSG being the exception).

Very much reminds me of young players that have a great WC or Euro, become hyped and make a move to a big money club but they can't do what is asked of them when they get there.
I think it's frankly absurd to say "he hasn't shown anything to suggest he is actually worth the level of hype". If that was even remotely true he wouldn't be wanted by every club in Europe and commanding a 9 figure fee at the age of 18. Mbappe is a special talent and has shown that in Ligue 1 (which people who criticize him never watch...) and in the CL.

This planet.
Lacazette fits the description of overrated more than Mbappe does. Penalty merchant with 0 physicality.

Fady K

Why is Chelsea not buying more players??

It is an odd one bud, especially when the manager has openly and constantly expressed the urgent need for players to compete for the league, let alone Champions Leaguen. We signed three very high quality players but we sold/loaned out more players than you can imagine. We have only 14 first team regulars I believe.

We will be getting at least 3 more players. My guess:

Drinkwater
Ox
VVD

Even Llorente is a possibility.

I can see Drinkwater happening. Don't think Arsenal would budge on Ox - if anything, they should renew his contract as he is very good. VVD makes little sense to me, he'll cost a fortune and is not in a position we need players in 🤔

Good to see you again mate!

It's been a while bud, good to see you again. Let us Chelsea fans weather this potential chaotic season together 🙈🙈🙈

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I think it's frankly absurd to say "he hasn't shown anything to suggest he is actually worth the level of hype". If that was even remotely true he wouldn't be wanted by every club in Europe and commanding a 9 figure fee at the age of 18. Mbappe is a special talent and has shown that in Ligue 1 (which people who criticize him never watch...) and in the CL.

Lacazette fits the description of overrated more than Mbappe does. Penalty merchant with 0 physicality.
Morata is just as overrated. I'd much rather have Lacazette at the club.

We can do this all day sunshine

Beefy

Gotta love when there's transfer speculation in Liverpool land, every Tom, Dick and Harry becomes a professor in facial expressions.

Van Dijk walked down the road in a pissed off way... he going to Liverpool. Same with loads of people on transfer tbf. It's weird

Tubie

AS says Madrid is now going all in for Dembele, while Marca and Sport say Barcelona is only hours away from signing him.

I love the Spanish football press.

Beefy

DG2LWdaXUAA6edP

Danny Rose has seen some shit

And why has Costa not been sold? He clearly won't be playing for us, are we just going to keep him on the books until his contract runs out?

Because no sane club, would let Costa go for the shit money Atletico are willing to pay. It has been handled poorly especially by Conte, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get a fair price out of it.

Why is Chelsea not buying more players??

Because that is what Chelsea do. Win league, then decide the squad is pretty much perfect despite there clearly being a need for new players rotated in and out, then fire manager when he fails and doesn't use youth players.

Money means nothing in the transfer market anymore. The clubs are only prepared to fight over the fee for potential (which he does have), that they don't want that potential to go anywhere else, that Monaco have sold most of their squad and he is in a strong contract. Clubs balked at the 60 million Monaco stated in the winter window when it was only City and Real interested and he didn't get any better. In fact many clubs, especially PSG showed how to stop him playing doing a basic man marking job.

If you look at his independent market value which is at just over 30 million which is an accurate estimate considering the talent he displayed. He wasn't turning games around, he wasn't creating something from nothing, he wasn't freeing up other players when teams were doing a job on him. He is a young player with a lot of potential but a huge amount to work on yet he is being hailed as a player comparable to Henry, he's nowhere even close to that level.

Kill3r7

Tbf half a dozen of Europe's top clubs, and Arsenal attempted to sign him.

Of course because he is fucken 18 and scores a goal roughly every 100mins. Sure the sample size is small but if he does it for another year or two, we are talking about the best young forward in the game. It is a moot point as we all know Arsenal are never going to pay that sort of fee for him.

faridmon

He is, but he plays in the exact same position as the player PSG have spent £198m on and nobody's taking Cavani's spot either. So why sign him? Mbappe would be wasted at PSG.

Yeah, I don't think he is going to PSG

Madrid might want to sign him

Beefy

He is, but he plays in the exact same position as the player PSG have spent £198m on and nobody's taking Cavani's spot either. So why sign him? Mbappe would be wasted at PSG.

He can play on the right as well.

So:

...................Cavani

Neymar......Draxler......Mbappe

Doc_Drop

Not sure if this is confirmed but I heard that Neymar's release clause was paid for using money the Qatar government paid to Neymar to be a "world cup ambassador" So PSG weren't directly paying for it.
Of course...and sometimes people wonder why I'm a bit of a class warrior. Fuck most rich people, seriously

MrS

Banned
He can play on the right as well.

So:

...................Cavani

Neymar......Draxler......Mbappe
That may well be the case, but he is far more potent playing on the left. That's where the majority of his goals and assists came from. He would be wasted not playing in his best position.

Beefy

That may well be the case, but he is far more potent playing on the left. That's where the majority of his goals and assists came from. He would be wasted not playing in his best position.

He's 18 and if he is as good as people say will learn to adapt. PSG going crazy with signings before UEFA close the loop hole. Wonder who else they would buy?

---------------

Coutinho has asked to be released according to Italian press.

Kill3r7

Barca will have to severely overpay for anyone they try to sign this transfer window.

They will have to overpay next year as well. Rarely are elite players going to transfer below market value in today's market. You stole Kroos.

Coutinho isn't worth 100m

He is worth whatever some team is willing to pay for him. I look forward to seeing what the market looks like in 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom