• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

That's what I want to see Chelsea doing - hunting for players, giving guys a chance who maybe don't light up the world in their first few games, or even their first season.

You'd rather they did it that way and won nothing other than the "put the pressure on" trophy?

Moobabe

You'd rather they did it that way and won nothing other than the "put the pressure on" trophy?

Well there's no guarantees in football, right?

We've been very lucky and very successful with our method - new manager every couple of seasons, total overhauls of the squad etc. But how sustainable is that?

I'm sure I don't speak for every Chelsea fan - but I would love to see some young players given the chance, and to develop into top players. Maybe we wouldn't win anything that season, maybe we would, but with JT leaving I think a lot of Chelsea fans do find it hard to relate to the playing staff.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Only upside of this is James will get playing time if Ancelotti puts him in the AM position. And either Arturo, Rudy, or Renato rotate for the other midfield position. Unless Ancelotti changes formation of course.

When will James be back? He was supposed to be out for 2-3 weeks at the beginning of August.

DBT85

Well there's no guarantees in football, right?

We've been very lucky and very successful with our method - new manager every couple of seasons, total overhauls of the squad etc. But how sustainable is that?

I'm sure I don't speak for every Chelsea fan - but I would love to see some young players given the chance, and to develop into top players. Maybe we wouldn't win anything that season, maybe we would, but with JT leaving I think a lot of Chelsea fans do find it hard to relate to the playing staff.

I don't disagree that it would be nice if all clubs could do that. I'd love to see a starting XI at United that had 4 or 5 quality prospects from the academy.

However, you'll soon tire when you don't win anything.

I've said a few times before, give the teams a reason to give the kids a chance that won't hurt them. Every match a team can make 2 free subs so long as the player coming on is under 18 or 19 and has less than say, 15 senior appearances for the club.

Gets the players minutes without preventing the team from using their 3 normal subs for more experience. Can still only nominate 7 subs for the bench.

Preezy

with JT leaving I think a lot of Chelsea fans do find it hard to relate to the playing staff.
If you need John Terry in your team to relate to your club then you're probably a bit of a knobhead.

Terry is a racist, egotistical, self-serving cunt, and true Chelsea fans would have seen him binned off years ago.

He represents the very worse aspects of English football and English culture.

T-Rex.

Banned
I'm glad the power has shifted back to the clubs.

A few years ago player power was getting out of control, remember Tevez?
I think clubs have to be careful though cos unless you're one of the oil clubs, or you're a club that's routinely winning trophies, the really good players will nearly always want to make that step up. If clubs start turning around and saying nah you're good mate, would those players even join them in the first place?

Doc_Drop

I don't disagree that it would be nice if all clubs could do that. I'd love to see a starting XI at United that had 4 or 5 quality prospects from the academy.

However, you'll soon tire when you don't win anything.

I've said a few times before, give the teams a reason to give the kids a chance that won't hurt them. Every match a team can make 2 free subs so long as the player coming on is under 18 or 19 and has less than say, 15 senior appearances for the club.

Gets the players minutes without preventing the team from using their 3 normal subs for more experience. Can still only nominate 7 subs for the bench.

I'd love to see that, but similar to wage caps the ship has sailed on regulating the league in those ways. The prem has been a success financially and nothing will likely change in the future. FA cup and league cup however, you could definitely install some rules like that

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Pretty shit for Rose to say all that to the S*n of all places.

Still, nice to see the decline of Spurs.

EDIT:

According to reports, Tottenham are to launch a £35m bid for Ajax's Davinson Sanchez.

Danny Rose the master manipulator

King_Moc

Banned
I think clubs have to be careful though cos unless you're one of the oil clubs, or you're a club that's routinely winning trophies, the really good players will nearly always want to make that step up. If clubs start turning around and saying nah you're good mate, would those players even join them in the first place?

Well, they aren't going to get spotted by an oil club if they don't, so they'll have no choice.

Fady K

What's up, FootballGAF?

Haven't posted here since 2015 (RIP old FootballGAF) but I'll try and be active during the season. I support Chelsea.

Yay one of us.

Nice to see this thread. Chelsea fan here, currently living in LA. Try to catch the games when I can.

Hope Morata does well, nervous about all our departures and relatively few signings. Wish we gave some of our young players more opportunities.

Chelsea fans, welcome <3 always a pleasure. How will we tackle this season's multiple challenges with only 14-ish senior squad members? With vastly improved Manchester clubs as well, it'll be mission impossible I feel. Not unless we add some crucial backup and quickly. Alonso/Moses have no competition. We only have two strikers and three defensive midfieders.

Chelsea fans, welcome <3 always a pleasure. How will we tackle this season's multiple challenges with only 14-ish senior squad members? With vastly improved Manchester clubs as well, it'll be mission impossible I feel. Not unless we add some crucial backup and quickly. Alonso/Moses have no competition. We only have two strikers and three defensive midfieders.

We will be getting at least 3 more players. My guess:

Drinkwater
Ox
VVD

Even Llorente is a possibility.

Doc_Drop

The fact noone's in for Barkley makes me think the guy misjudged his own worth. Can see him going on a deadline day panic buy.
Funny thing is, if some of these players didn't mind a step down to get 30-40 games a season they'd get snaffled up. The like of Barclay, Ox, etc would be a dream for us (NUFC), it just kills me seeing these players going to huge clubs and then sitting on the bench for most of the season

Moobabe

If you need John Terry in your team to relate to your club then you're probably a bit of a knobhead.

Terry is a racist, egotistical, self-serving cunt, and true Chelsea fans would have seen him binned off years ago.

He represents the very worse aspects of English football and English culture.

I was talking more about him coming through the academy, rather than relating to his personality.

I think the fans would have loved to see Chalobah, Ake and RLC stay for that reason.

Good to see you again mate!

King_Moc

Banned
How exactly are they getting round financial fair play? What's their output so far this window?

They aren't. FFP is ineffectual. And they'll probably be able to challenge it and win in the courts anyway. It's sucks though. Having a team bankrolled with fucking Qatar's slave earned money is bullshit. What's even the point in competing anymore if it's just going to become an oil baron dick waving contest.

DKehoe

How exactly are they getting round financial fair play? What's their output so far this window?

Not sure if this is confirmed but I heard that Neymar's release clause was paid for using money the Qatar government paid to Neymar to be a "world cup ambassador" So PSG weren't directly paying for it.

Really glad to hear that Phil Foden has been moved to the first team squad at Man City. Didn't think it would have been this year as he is still very young.

Labadal

Not sure if this is confirmed but I heard that Neymar's release clause was paid for using money the Qatar government paid to Neymar to be a "world cup ambassador" So PSG weren't directly paying for it.
Yeah, it's already known that PSG didn't directly pay for Neymar. That's what's bothering me. Not that he actually went there.

Kill3r7

I'm glad the power has shifted back to the clubs.

A few years ago player power was getting out of control, remember Tevez?

Why should the power lie with the clubs? The players are the product and entertainers. I get that we root for clubs but players should be free to move if they want to.

T-Rex.

Banned
Dembele's skipped training and isn't answering his phone. Peter Bosz: "There was no sign yesterday that Ousmane Dembele would not be here today. We hope nothing terrible has happened."

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Mbappe would he wasted at PSG

Massively overrated anyway. Nice to nobody wants Barkley too hahahaha dude overestimated his own worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom