• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Everyone is overrated. I mean just look at fake Ronaldo and that little guy who wears the number 10 at Barcelona.

wGeXzgT.gif

Took it too far

Beefy

I only rate Messi and Ronaldo as world class, no one else. Every one else isn't even close.

---------------

The shit I hate the most is how UK TV pundits hype up youngsters so much.

wGeXzgT.gif

Took it too far

lol

I only rate Messi and Ronaldo as world class, no one else. Every one else isn't even close.

I would put Suarez in that bracket. Maybe slightly better than the both of them.

The shit I hate the most is how UK TV pundits hype up youngsters so much.

Not just youngsters, British players in general.

I have my reasons, but too much to type up. People I've explained this to, usually agree with me.

Yeah 200m looks fine. If Chelsea ever let him go for less than that it would be incredibly stupid. We should never let him go but we don't keep players who want to go. So no fucking idea what will happen.

MrS

Banned
Hazard lacks the branding capabilites that Neymar has. Wont break £100 Million.
It's not about his marketing potential, it's about what Chelsea would be willing to sell him for and what the "going rate" is for a player of his calibre. Based on your argument Coutinho is nowhere near worth the £90m Barca are willing to pay for him.

Kill3r7

Neymar is 11 months younger than him.

Correct but Neymar moved this summer. He is a more prolific scorer, most rate him as the third best player in the world, and is about to enter his prime. I doubt Hazard moves before next summer, if at all. Personally, I don't see him moving. Chelsea are not selling their best player. Anyone who comes in for Hazard better expect a bid for their best player in return.

MrS

Banned
Correct but Neymar moved this summer. He is a more prolific scorer, most rate him as the third best player in the world, and is about to enter his prime. I doubt Hazard moves before next summer, if at all. Personally, I don't see him moving. Chelsea are not selling their best player. Anyone who comes in for Hazard better expect a bid for their best player in return.
Neymar was 5th in ballon d'or voting last year and one could argue that Ramos, Neuer and Suarez are better than him/more valuable than him relative to their positions.

It would take an astronomical figure to move Hazard who you rightly say is Chelsea's best player. In the current market, £150m is no longer astronomical. That's why I think he's closer to £200m.

Kill3r7

Neymar was 5th in ballon d'or voting last year and one could argue that Ramos, Neuer and Suarez are better than him/more valuable than him relative to their positions.

It would take an astronomical figure to move Hazard who you rightly say is Chelsea's best player. In the current market, £150m is no longer astronomical. That's why I think he's closer to £200m.

Agree to disagree. I still think £150m is an reasonable amount him. Do you think that if or when Bale moves he would move for £200m?

MrS

Banned
Agree to disagree. I still think £150m is an incredible amount him. Do you think that if or when Bale moves he would move for £200m?
I'm not sure because it would depend on when he moves and if the market has calmed down a bit. If Dembele, a winger who has achieved very little, is valued by Dortmund at £135m, what is a player who is 28, also a winger, and has won the Champions League 3 times worth? More than Dembele I'd say.

Devil

The consequences of Neymars transfer are going to be horrendous. Clubs will start to pay even more at a higher rate for worse players now.

That's just the next step of a development which started a long time ago. Good bye anyone not from PL and/or not owned by some rich guy.

Those investor owned clubs haven't been the most successful clubs internationally but there is no way they are not getting closer and closer. They have already shown domestic success and will continue to do so.

I hope Bayern will keep being competitive in the top 5 just on clever and sustainable mid-sized transfers for a few more years but I'm getting increasingly depressed when I think about the future. I just hope I'm wrong and those clubs which don't deserve to be up there keep failing regularly as before.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Barca with money might be the funniest thing in football right now. They could literally buy anyone twice and nobody wants to sell.

MrS

Banned
Hazard doesn't score half the goals neymar/messi/ronaldo/suarez score though, so he's a little under them I feel
Hazard's in a more competitive league and he doesn't have the GOAT (Messi) and the best striker on Earth (Suarez) to assist or assist him. It's like comparing apples to oranges, really. The players around Hazard aren't at the same level as the players Neymar had to work with. Hazard would actually be
the natural replacement for Neymar. Barca should test Chelsea's resolve. He would be a force in La Liga.

Lashley

Nah Sanchez is an absolutely fantastic player. The only problem is his attitude but in terms of skill he's not overrated at all.

Sours me on him when he's in a shit position, or stood offside and then throws a strop when nobody passes to him

Don't really like his attitude at all tbh

Hazard doesn't have a current price because he would not be sold. I don't think Chelsea would listen to a figure in the Neymar range because they don't want to sell him, despite him being worse than Neymar.

Coutinho's in a similar situation, keeping the difference in club results and finances in mind. Liverpool wouldn't sell him for €150 million right now because he's not pushing a move and they don't want or need to sell him.

Player value isn't linear, either. You can only have 11 players on the field, so at some point the transfer value versus on field value gets skewed heavily in one direction.

MrS

Banned
Hazard doesn't have a current price because he would not be sold. I don't think Chelsea would listen to a figure in the Neymar range because they don't want to sell him, despite him being worse than Neymar.
Every player has a price and transfer history has shown this. If the offer is right, the player will move. Selling Ronaldo to Madrid was unthinkable for Utd but it still happened. If Hazard wants to go, he'll go and Chelsea can't do anything about it because no club would let a player with his value rot in the reserves when they could make bank by selling him.

sora87

Hazard's in a more competitive league and he doesn't have the GOAT (Messi) and the best striker on Earth (Suarez) to assist or assist him. It's like comparing apples to oranges, really. The players around Hazard aren't at the same level as the players Neymar had to work with. Hazard would actually be
the natural replacement for Neymar. Barca should test Chelsea's resolve. He would be a force in La Liga.

That is a fair point but Suarez and Ronaldo both hit or came near to 30+ in a season in the prem. Hazard's best is 16 and before that it's mostly been around 10-12. I think if he improved his goal scoring he'd be right up there.

Sours me on him when he's in a shit position, or stood offside and then throws a strop when nobody passes to him

Don't really like his attitude at all tbh

If Wenger stopped sitting about all game and gave him a bollocking he wouldn't be anywhere near as bad. Same thing for when Ozil turns off.

Lashley

If Wenger stopped sitting about all game and gave him a bollocking he wouldn't be anywhere near as bad. Same thing for when Ozil turns off.

Hard to call Wenger for this tbh, Ozil was the same at Madrid, it's how he is.

Can't speak for Alexis, as I didn't see him much at Barca

MrS

Banned
Hard to call Wenger for this tbh, Ozil was the same at Madrid, it's how he is.
If there isn't a leader in the dressing room to give him a bollocking, it really falls on Wenger to do it. "That's just how he is" isn't a good enough excuse when he's getting paid a small fortune. No leaders, still.

Every player has a price and transfer history has shown this. If the offer is right, the player will move. Selling Ronaldo to Madrid was unthinkable for Utd but it still happened. If Hazard wants to go, he'll go and Chelsea can't do anything about it because no club would let a player with his value rot in the reserves when they could make bank by selling him.
It's the "wanting to go" part that matters, pushing for a move. Cristiano Ronaldo left because he pushed for a move and wanted to leave the summer before.

If the club doesn't want or need to sell and the player is content and not pushing for a move, then there isn't really a price.

Lashley

If there isn't a leader in the dressing room to give him a bollocking, it really falls on Wenger to do it. "That's just how he is" isn't a good enough excuse when he's getting paid a small fortune. No leaders, still.

Surprised someone like Kos or Mertesacker doesn't say something, since they're in leader roles.

I really, really miss Patrick Viera.

Icolin

Banned
Anyone who watches the Portugese league ITT? My local team just signed some Egyptian dude who played for CD Nacional in the Portugese league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom