• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fady K

How anyone could win the league other than Manchester United or maaaaaybe Manchester City... can't see it happening. Can't imagine for Tottenham to do as good as last season. Chelsea, I hate to say it - they'll definitely be worse off this season if they don't increase their squad depth soon. If Liverpool keep Coutinho I reckon they can get the third spot this time around. The one team that can possibly surprise us all and do better than expected? Arsenal. Wenger ended last season very well and bested Chelsea tactically twice in a row. I love Conte but he needs to avoid falling into the hands of opposing managers easily. Think back to the 2-0 loss to United where he played into Mourinho's hands all too easily.

Edit - good lord, PSG are going for the kill.

DBT85

For me

Chelsea
Need a squad. What they have won't cut it in the PL and CL. Why did they let Matic go.

City
Could do it, they have 23 full backs and 57 options for the front 5.

Pool
Will challenge for the league if they get knocked out of the CL qualifier, will struggle for top 5 if they get through to the groups. Leak too many goals.

Arsenal
Europa will hinder their league chances unless Wenger sends out the embryos. If he does that then they will challenge for the league if they keep Sanchez.

Spurs
Unless some money gets spent soon they won't even win the "put the pressure on" trophy.

United
Will all depend on the rest of the team around Lukaku netting 50-60 goals. Defensively we're fine but we have to be more clinical. I think we've got the squad to handle the group stages of the CL, but probably get whooped in the 1/4s.

Beefy

So PSG going be:

Trapp

Alves
Marquinhos
Silva
Kurzawa

Fabinho
Veratti

Mbappe
Draxler
Neymar

Cavani
-----------------------------
Subs team

Areola

Muenier
Kimpembe
(Probably some youngster)
Berchiche

Motta/Rabiot
Matuidi

Lucas/Guedes
Pastore
Di Maria

Jese

---------------

Way crazy

Syder

We're being strongly linked with William Carvalho (£25m+)

This would definitely plug the defensive side of our midfield gap

Carvalho and Obiang?

source.gif

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wtf PSG

If they don't win the champions league now 😂😂😂😂😂

MrS

Banned
How anyone could win the league other than Manchester United
Joke post? They will miss Ibra's goals. Lukaku is not a big game player. Everybody knows this.

Pool
Will challenge for the league if they get knocked out of the CL qualifier, will struggle for top 5 if they get through to the groups.
Explain to me how playing in the Europa League will be better for Liverpool than playing in the Champions League.

So PSG going be:

Trapp

Alves
Marquinhos
Silva
Kurzawa

Fabinho
Veratti

Mbappe
Draxler
Neymar

Cavani
Real Madrid are still a better team. This will be a big year for Asensio.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think that if both Mbappe and Fabinho transfers are happening for PSG then PSG has a first team comparable with Real's (but Real still is a bit better), but PSG has a much stronger bench.

Kill3r7

Joke post? They will miss Ibra's goals. Lukaku is not a big game player.

That's good because we don't play many big games in the PL. Also, Zlatan only scored 17 goals in the league last year. You are underestimating Lukaku.

Fun meaningless stat, under LvG we got 35pts against the Top6 which was best in the league during that time. Keep in mind that those were some of the worst scoring United teams.

DBT85

Why are we kicking the season off tomorrow?

cSGudZf.gif

That's good because we don't play many big games in the PL. Also, Zlatan only scored 17 goals in the league last year. You are underestimating Lukaku.

Fun meaningless stat, under LvG we got 35pts against the Top6 which was best in the league during that time. Keep in mind that those were some of the worst scoring United teams.

Indeed. Beating the big teams means nothing if you can't beat everyone else too. Basically Liverpool last year. United in contract just couldn't beat anyone at times. 15 fucking draws. Still boggles my mind. So many sitters missed.

MrS

Banned

Man Utd's best XI is still underwhelming despite the half billion Woodward has pissed away. Squad depth is quite poor too imo. I can't see how they'll effectively compete for 4 trophies with that team. Getting top 4 would be a great achievement for them.

Fady K

Joke post? They will miss Ibra's goals. Lukaku is not a big game player. Everybody knows this.

Lukaku is a curious case - he doesn't play that great technically but he'll be banging in goals, especially with United's players supplying him. 25-30 goals a season is what I think he'll average at, especially as he tends to score multiple goals a game.

Kill3r7

Man Utd's best XI is still underwhelming despite the half billion Woodward has pissed away. Squad depth is quite poor too imo. I can't see how they'll effectively compete for 4 trophies.

Agreed in part. I do not think we win the league this year unless we land a world class winger but Top4 will be expected. There aren't enough goals on this team to win the league which both Woody and Mou know.

cSGudZf.gif

Indeed. Beating the big teams means nothing if you can't beat everyone else too. Basically Liverpool last year. United in contract just couldn't beat anyone at times. 15 fucking draws. Still boggles my mind. So many sitters missed.

Agreed. More scoring is still needed.

DBT85

UEFA have already said they can't doing anything about the Neymar deal. So I reckon PSG may do the same for Mbappe.

Not sure they can for Mbop. Neymar had to pay his release clause so they could give him the money directly.

I suppose the owners could buy Mbop and then sell him to PSG for a euro.

What ? Where did you see that ?

This seems insane. Plus, Nasser was in Madrid today apparently. We might be lifting Oblak's 100 million release clause.

@ParisUnited said it's done so it most likely is.

I'm conflicted on Oblak, I love the Atletico but Paris is my city.

In any case this transfer window has been crazy.

Dadasch

Wait...is Mbappe now definitely at PSG or is it still just a rumor?

Can't find anything on this, unless there are some good sources I didn't see.

DBT85

Agreed. More scoring is still needed.

Yep. As I said above, if the rest of the team around Lukaku can net 50-60 goals then we're on the way. Second best defensive record last season and we've just added Matic to the mix as well.

We had the chances last year but lacked the composure.

Wait...is Mbappe now definitely at PSG or is it still just a rumor?

Can't find anything on this, unless there are some good sources I didn't see.

Not official. But they've been good with PSG stuff recently.

Kill3r7

User: kill3r7
League: Premier League

1. Manchester City
2. Tottenham
3. Manchester United
4. Chelsea
---
5. Liverpool
6. Arsenal
7. Everton
---
18. Burnley
19. Huddersfield
20. Watford

MrS

Banned
Agreed in part. I do not think we win the league this year unless we land a world class winger but Top4 will be expected. There aren't enough goals on this team to win the league which both Woody and Mou know.
Definitely agree with this. Matic won't score goals but it should free up Pogba a bit. Pogba's still not going to give you 15 or 20 goals though.

City's squad is scary good. Really looking forward to seeing more of Gabriel Jesus and Bernardo Silva. Looking forward to another season of John Stones fuck ups too.

Dadasch

Oh ok, I read some articles that said otherwise.
I guess Draxler would want to leave if it's happening. Bayern would actually be a great fit.

DBT85

Wee lad that got Mous medal

A4A0A836A1A842CC86865182DEC30C99.ashx

"At the end of the game the boys were disappointed that we didn't win," Ibrahim said. "We thought we've made this 16-hour journey to watch the match, we may as well watch the medal presentation and see the players on their lap of honour.

"So we stayed to watch it and the next minute Jose was walking towards us - I didn't know what he was going to do and then he stretched out to give the medal to him.

"He didn't say anything - Jose just gave gave him a nod and Adedeji said thank you. It was a consolation for not winning the match, I guess. It was fantastic for the kid.

"It was quite unreal for Adedeji," he added. "After there were quite a lot of people surrounding him and taking photos - it's not what we're used to. We're used to just watching the game and going away quietly, but this time around we could not leave quietly!"

Ibrahim has been taking Adedeji to Old Trafford since he was just four-years-old, but this is the first season he and his brother, Adedire, have had season tickets of their own.

Ibrahim, Adedeji and Adedire's journey from their Bristol home to Skopje took 16 hours in total, which included a flight from London Stansted to Sofia, and then a six-hour drive from the Bulgarian capital to Skopje.

The eight-year-old's favourite United players are Ander Herrera, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Paul Pogba, and he is a promising footballer himself and even has a trial at Southampton next week.

"The whole family supports United, Adedeji's an ever bigger fan than myself and he's only eight," Ibrahim continued. "But when I asked him about what getting the medal means, he was excited but said 'I just want to win my first Ballon d'Or before I turn 20'.

"He doesn't want to be known as 'The Medal Boy', no, he wants to be known for his himself, his football and his passion for Man United.

"He plays for AEK Boco's Under-10s at the moment and he plays a lot like Herrera."

Oh ok, I read some articles that said otherwise.
I guess Draxler would want to leave if it's happening. Bayern would actually be a great fit.

Draxler won't go. His people said that he don't want to go even with Neymar coming.

That may change with Mbappe coming as well but I don't think so.

They could play Draxler attacking mid. If anyone leaves I could see Di Maria.

Yeah there's talk of an interest from Inter.

Syder

is there anywhere I can put a tenner on PSG to win Ligue 1, Champions League, Coupe de la Ligue and Coupe de France?

Zasa

Man, even after all this spending. It's crazy just how out of this world RM's midfield is. Just on a whole different wavelength.

Kroos, Modric, Casemiro, Isco, Kovacic, & Caballos. Good lord. Oh, & it's already built for the long term.

Funny how much Barca's & RM's midfield & forward prospects have flip-flopped the last couple of years.

City's squad is scary good. Really looking forward to seeing more of Gabriel Jesus and Bernardo Silva. Looking forward to another season of John Stones fuck ups too.

Strangely after watching the pre-season games the player I think that is going to be the biggest surprise to everyone is Ederson. One fuck up in the first game against Lukaka and one that gave Carvajal a chance to score in the next but besides that he was really good, his communication got significantly better from game to game and became attack minded really quickly, his range of passing is fantastic in a way that means no team can turn off, he got faster and decision making better in a way that made me think he wouldn't make those mistakes again. Only goalkeeper I have enjoyed watching in a good while, I won't be surprised if by the end of the season he has a few assists and maybe a goal if very lucky.

United
Will all depend on the rest of the team around Lukaku netting 50-60 goals. Defensively we're fine but we have to be more clinical. I think we've got the squad to handle the group stages of the CL, but probably get whooped in the 1/4s.

Cosigned... Though my fingers are crossed that we can make it to the CL finals.

OCD Guy

I still don't think PSG will win the CL after this moneybomb. Semis maybe, but they're still the team that threw away a massive lead to get knocked out.

Yeah it takes more than spending millions to get success.

Bayern have a stronger team than PSG and still struggled in the Champions league once they got past Arsenal.

They won't win anything under Emery. He's no good for them....On paper PSg already had a squad more than capable of winning the champions league. They didn't need Neymar for that.

Man City won't win the Premier League either, it's same shit different toilet. They were bookies favourite last season too lol.

Going forward they're great but at the back they're terrible and their fullbacks ain't gonna make a difference as they're not good at defending, and Stones and Ederson are liabilities....Pep needs to forget about goalies who are good with their feet and buy one that's good with their hands lol.

dazed808

User: dazed808
League: Premier League

1. Manchester City
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Tottenham
---
5. Manchester United
6. Southampton
7. Everton
---