• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill3r7

Yeah it takes more than spending millions to get success.

Bayern have a stronger team than PSG and still struggled in the Champions league once they got past Arsenal.

They won't win anything under Emery. He's no good for them....On paper PSg already had a squad more than capable of winning the champions league. They didn't need Neymar for that.

Man City won't win the Premier League either, it's same shit different toilet. They were bookies favourite last season too lol.

Going forward they're great but at the back they're terrible and their fullbacks ain't gonna make a difference as they're not good at defending, and Stones and Ederson are liabilities....

Disagree about Ederson. He is a pretty decent goalkeeper. Their defense is suspect and they will always be vulnerable to the counter but a healthy Gundogan will make a world of difference for them.

I would like somebody to explain this to me too.

I think City will win it.

Because 50M is a lot of money of a 29 year old mid fielder and they bought a younger player for 40M. And this was before the Neymar deal.

That being said - crazy to have sold to Utd of all places.

Disagree about Ederson. He is a pretty decent goalkeeper. Their defense is suspect and they will always be vulnerable to the counter but a healthy Gundogan will make a world of difference for them.

When was the last time Gundogan had a healthy season?

Doc_Drop

Honestly, barring major injuries I think this is City's year. Quality with a slightly more youthful squad could be great for them

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
mXyupD1.gif

Come February you'll be playing on Thursdays again.
Yeah I agree

Going forward they're great but at the back they're terrible and their fullbacks ain't gonna make a difference as they're not good at defending, and Stones and Ederson are liabilities....Pep needs to forget about goalies who are good with their feet and buy one that's good with their hands lol.

I take it you don't watch much of City because the main reason the defence was terrible is because of the lack of full backs unable to do the job required which left the defence exposed, especially on the left side where Stones was positioned. Ederson is also excellent with his hands his weakness is his height.

MrS

Banned
I agree with this. They should buy another CB for cover and always start with Kompany and Otamendi. Stones is still going to make a lot of errors if he plays because his decision making can be horrendous at times. Generally they'll concede less by virtue of not having to start Bravo. He was dreadful last season.

Audioboxer

Liverpool are going to have to save us from PSG and show the world what the EPL can offer in Europe. I would have bet on Arsenal to do it, but you know, Europa League and all that jazz.

Liverpool are going to have to save us from PSG and show the world what the EPL can offer in Europe. I would have bet on Arsenal to do it, but you know, Europa League and all that jazz.

Oh god. I've just realised we've got to at least get to where Leicester got or be labelled as Arsenal 🤢

tim.mbp

User: tim.mpb
League: Serie A

1. Napoli
2. Roma
3. Inter Milan
4. Lazio
---
5. AC Milan
6. Fiorentina
7. Torino
---
18. Verona
19. Benevento
20. Juventus

OCD Guy

I take it you don't watch much of City because the main reason the defence was terrible is because of the lack of full backs unable to do the job required which left the defence exposed, especially on the left side where Stones was positioned. Ederson is also excellent with his hands his weakness is his height.

I did watch them a lot actually. I tend to watch all the big teams when they play.

So it's not because of Stones yet you say when the left side was exposed where Stones was it was a problem lol.

Pep has a lot to do with the problem as well. He was always experimenting, often some weird tactics with no defensive midfielder at all, even went with a false nine too which was terrible.

The only positive this season will be Kompany hopefully playing more games, that's it.

Seeing as you apparently watched them a lot, I'm surprised you didn't mention Otamendi, as he was terrible too.

Anyway if you think the solution to Man City's defence is buying two attacking full backs you'll be in for a shock, but we could go back and forth here, neither of us will change our opinion. Time will tell, and we'll see what the league table shows in 6 months time....

Real Madrid have full backs often well up the pitch, but the difference is Varane and Ramos are able to cope. Stones and Otamendi couldn't cope, especially playing such a high line and being the last hope when a team countered them...

yagal

User: yagal
League: Serie A

1. Juventus
2. AC Milan
3. Napoli
4. AS Roma
---
5. Inter
6. Lazio
7. Fiorentina
---
18. Hellas Verona
19. SPAL
20. Benevento

User: yagal
League: Premier League

1. Manchester City
2. Manchester United
3. Arsenal
4. Liverpool
---
5. Chelsea
6. Tottenham
7. Everton
---
18. Burnley
19. Watford
20. Huddersfield Town

Syder

Honestly, barring major injuries I think this is City's year. Quality with a slightly more youthful squad could be great for them
If Kompany starts 25+ games, City will be fine defensively. People shit on Stones but when he's next to a solid partner, he's good.

It's fine, Man Utd won't even get out the group stages and we can all just point out how much money Ed Woodward and the Glazers have blown on average rotational squad players.

Mourinho knows how to grind out victories, especially in Europe. So don't see Man Utd struggling there.

OCD Guy

We all know Stones is a problem.

Walker's up there too on your chart.

Still shocked that some people assume two really attacking full backs are going to fix City's problem.

Pep likes to score goals and play a certain way, hence the players he's bought, and hence the goalie he's bought too, as he likes to come forward, and is comfortable on the ball.

But they need a new centre back, two ideally as if Kompany is injured again (which is likely) they'll be in trouble again. A decent defensive midfielder would have been good too.

Anyway roll on Saturday to see what happens against Brighton. I'd seriously love an upset....

Syder

I agree. Shame Kompany is so injury prone. Would probably be the world's best cb or in the top three if he weren't.
Just look at CBs Kompany has won the league with:

Micah Richards
Joleon Lescott
Martín Demichelis

The man commands defences so well

I did watch them a lot actually. I tend to watch all the big teams when they play.

So it's not because of Stones yet you say when the left side was exposed where Stones was it was a problem lol.

Pep has a lot to do with the problem as well. He was always experimenting, often some weird tactics with no defensive midfielder at all, even went with a false nine too which was terrible.

The only positive this season will be Kompany hopefully playing more games, that's it.

Seeing as you apparently watched them a lot, I'm surprised you didn't mention Otamendi, as he was terrible too.

Anyway if you think the solution to Man City's defence is buying two attacking full backs you'll be in for a shock, but we could go back and forth here, neither of us will change our opinion. Time will tell, and we'll see what the league table shows in 6 months time....

The left has been weak since Pelligrini's first season, the exact problems that Stones had are the exact problems that every other defender that has been placed on the left side had, be it Kompany, Ottamendi, Mangala, Demichelis or Stones. Even in pre-season except the United game where they only played one wing back closed any passage down the flanks (still closed the right side in the United pre-season game though), whereas it was open season for any player with a bit of pace to exploit last season and often required Sane/Sterling to drop very deep.

Even though I'm not a fan of Otamendi he only made one mistake which lead to a shot all season and had the best stats of any CB in the league. So he was far from terrible. can't pass for shit though.

The biggest problem wasn't the defence it was the keeper. If Pep had played Caballero over Bravo all season City wouldn't have lost the games they did in the manner they did. Ederson is significantly better and looks to be fitting in very quickly and has been very impressive apart from the one bit with Lukaku.

Interesting to see no Utd or Arsenal defenders on that list.
I guess Cahill is kind of a goof at times and Luiz was. I am expecting Chelsea to have a tough season personally - being in europe will kill them.

To add to the city discussion

Jesus
Sane KDB Sterling
Yaya Fernandinho
Mendy kompany otamendi walker
Ederson

Bench: aguero, silva, danilo, bernardo silva, gundogan, stones

Damn that’s a good team

Real Madrid have full backs often well up the pitch, but the difference is Varane and Ramos are able to cope. Stones and Otamendi couldn't cope, especially playing such a high line and being the last hope when a team countered them...

Kompany and Otamendi looked very solid together and if you don't think new FB's is going to help, then I question wether you actually "watched a lot of City". Kolarov, Clichy, Zabaleta, and Sagna vs Kyle Walker, Danilo, and Mendy.... you're either terribly wrong or just trolling.
Either way I look forward to you being back in here later in the season to eat some crow.

As far as your Ederson comment, you just don't know what Pep wants from his keeper. He is the same as Cryuff in that the keeper being the first attacker and a footballer is more important than shot stopping, as wrong or right as that may be. Ederson has already improved the way the side goes forward from the back (and has looked good as a normal keeper so far too)

Kill3r7

I guess Cahill is kind of a goof at times and Luiz was. I am expecting Chelsea to have a tough season personally - being in europe will kill them.

United have been pretty good defensively for the last 3 years. They are first in the league overall for goals conceded during that time period.

Edit: Actually they were first.

Perhaps, but Otamendi - Kompany is a better partnership because Otamendi is a better defender. There is always a risk when you play Stones.

They are a much better partnership but Pep looks likely to pick Stones over Otamendi if playing two CB's as Otamendi reduces the attacking options and has to pass sideways not forwards.

Jesus
Sane KDB Sterling
Yaya Fernandinho
Ederson

Damn that’s a good team

Cahill was terrible before switch to 3-4-3. We lost 5-8 points because of him.

Beefy

Apparently Spurs players applauded Rose when he went into training the day after that interview. He has been fined two weeks wages tho.

Players are weird

Loris146

Jesus
Sane KDB Sterling
Yaya Fernandinho
Ederson

Damn that’s a good team

Aguero not in the starting line up wtf?

Doc_Drop

United have been pretty good defensively for the last 3 years. They are first in the league overall for goals conceded during that time period.

Edit: Actually they were first.
Yeah they just couldn't finish their dinner most of the time. It'll be interesting to see how different things could be this season

jm89

Guardiola will only play stones to show he is letting english players play in his team.

Otherwise stones bum ass would be benched for the rest of the season.

Zasa

Guardiola will only play stones to show he is letting english players play in his team.

Otherwise stones bum ass would be benched for the rest of the season.
What the...

Why did he barely play Delph then? Or Gunn?

Curious what your thoughts on Sterling were last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom