• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Lake

Well of course it's crazy but that is just a reminder how popular football really is.
In the end: Supply and demand, nothing else.
It doesn't seem too insane to me a team would pay 200m over x years for a contract with Neymar, what's odd is Neymar's not getting that and clubs have somehow managed to extract such a high portion out of a player's market value.

MrS

Banned
They had Sanchez and that did not really workout. Mbappe is not interested based on the rags. Hazard is a good suggestion but currently injured. Lenard is a step below Dembele. Di Maria is too old as a long term solution.

All good suggestions but who are these world class CBs that would be available or interested?
Lemar's stats are just as good as Dembele's, You really think he's a step below him? They have the money for Mbappe or Hazard. I simply don't buy that Dembele is the only solution. Barcelona could have bid for Bernadeschi or Douglas Costa if they had any foresight.

Dadasch

It doesn't seem too insane to me a team would pay 200m over x years for a contract with Neymar, what's odd is Neymar's not getting that and clubs have somehow managed to extract such a high portion out of a player's market value.

Oh don't worry, Neymar is getting that and even more.

lol

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

holy shit Ozil as ET

gcgo8iw.png

Kill3r7

It's not that crazy. If Kyrie is traded from the Cavs, they will get players and draft picks in return which have a rough monetary value. Same idea applies here except no players are exchanged, instead a monetary payment is made for the value of the player. The player negotiates and signs a new contract with the club that bought/"traded" for him which reflects his market value.

Kill3r7

Lemar's stats are just as good as Dembele's, You really think he's a step below him? They have the money for Mbappe or Hazard. I simply don't buy that Dembele is the only solution. Barcelona could have bid for Bernadeschi or Douglas Costa if they had any foresight.

I don't think Barcelona saw this coming. They have a ton of money now but really there aren't any major stars for sale. They will have to overpay to acquire the players they need. As I said a couple of days ago, Dybala and Dembele make a lot of sense. Especially since they are letting Iniesta walk.

Lemar has similar stats but he is a step below even with the NT.

Doc_Drop

That video made me think about who the first manager getting sacked is. I reckon Shakespeare at Leicester.
Can we at least let someone kick a ball before talking about sackings? It's one of my least favourite elements of all the circus surrounding football

I think it's more likely that Conte just rage quits mid season than him getting sacked lol.

Yup Conte will just quit. Already rumors are he will quit after transfer window if he doesn't get the players he wants.

Also Ox is demanding 120k per week and Arsenal aren't willing to pay him that much lol.

MrS

Banned
I like your avatar, but can at least pretend you're not blinded by your borough bias
It's a perfect storm at the Toon. Rafa is dissatisfied by the lack of transfers, they have tough early fixtures and Mike Ashley's still the boy in charge. It'd be amusing if a loss to Hughton's Brighton tipped Ashley over the edge.

Also Ox is demanding 120k per week and Arsenal aren't willing to pay him that much lol.
If Walcott gets £110k for doing fuck all then Ox should be on at least as much. At least Ox puts the effort in.

Doc_Drop

It's a perfect storm at the Toon. Rafa is dissatisfied by the lack of transfers, they have tough early fixtures and Mike Ashley's still the boy in charge. It'd be amusing if a loss to Hughton's Brighton tipped Ashley over the edge.
For you maybe.

We'll likely have more points by Christmas than you managed all season.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
120k doesn't even seem like a lot. This transfer window has ruined the concept of money in football for me.

Also Conte is definitely gonna quit. Probably before Christmas depending on how their CL results are going.

MrS

Banned
For you maybe.

We'll likely have more points by Christmas than you managed all season.
We were shit and deserved to go down. I won't attempt to make excuses for Boro's inadequacies last season. Try harder my friend.

He isn't worth that
He was your best player for nigh on the second half of last season. I think he's earned it. He's worth that if Ozil and Walcott are on big wages when they're a pair of bitches.

faridmon

So if Mbappe is going to PSG then Dembele to Barca is a sure thing, no?

Good to see that shite club Everton so well represented on the list too.

Good to see your true colour appearing

you were only a shite poster

good to know. One less person to worry about then

Doc_Drop

We were shit and deserved to go down. I won't attempt to make excuses for Boro's inadequacies last season. Try harder my friend.
Aye, we got humble pie the season prior. I mean no malice. They'll be plenty of time for all this. I've learnt anything is possible with Mike Twatly anyway.

Regardless, thank fuck Sunderland have finally succumb to the inevitable downward spiral down the leagues

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

He was your best player for nigh on the second half of last season. I think he's earned it. He's worth that if Ozil and Walcott are on big wages when they're a pair of bitches.
Walcott is overpaid. Ozil is not.

MrS

Banned
Aye, we got humble pie the season prior. I mean no malice. They'll be plenty of time for all this. I've learnt anything is possible with Mike Twatly anyway.

Regardless, thank fuck Sunderland have finally succumb to the inevitable downward spiral down the leagues
I actually don't mind any of the NE teams. It's good for the area if they're all doing well.

Walcott is overpaid. Ozil is not.
Ozil is worth it for maybe 3 or 4 months in a 9 month season. You know he isn't consistent and goes missing for long periods. When the chips are down, Ozil won't help you.

Doc_Drop

I've got a tenner on Sunderland to get relegated this season.

That'd be grand

I actually don't mind any of the NE teams. It's good for the area if they're all doing well.

I can see that point of view, I generally prefer for the best 20 teams in the country to be in the prem, Sunderland have been far from that and riding some sort of luck to stay up as long as they have

MrS

Banned
I can see that point of view, I generally prefer for the best 20 teams in the country to be in the prem, Sunderland have been far from that and riding some sort of luck to stay up as long as they have
Yeah their luck had to run out eventually and they've been hanging on for years. Shame, really.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Ozil is worth it for maybe 3 or 4 months in a 9 month season. You know he isn't consistent and goes missing for long periods. When the chips are down, Ozil won't help you.
Nah, ozil is a monumental miss when he doesn't play. The passes he manages to do are unreal, but our team wastes them

MrS

Banned
Nah, ozil is a monumental miss when he doesn't play. The passes he manages to do are unreal, but our team wastes them
I disagree. He is emblematic of last year's Arsenal team. Weak, spineless, goes missing during Winter, doesn't raise their game during the big matches, always lets the fans down. Mourinho was right about him.

Oersted

media.media.ef79d389-5075-4ec7-9e9c-4b03f06b97d9.normalized.jpeg

#NeverForget #YNWA #GoneTooSoon #RiPieces

For those who don't know him, this is Mehmet Scholl, former football player and was till now on the payroll of the german public broadcaster ARD as an expert. Always had a big mouth, but when the topic Doping in football came up he deflected, played it down and became tight lipped. They finally kicked him. Good riddance.

Blablurn

Mehmet Scholl is such a weirdo. Super talented. But I think the whole Bravo Boy hype was too much for him since he was always more of a introverted person, despite having the looks and the skills of a superstar. I still love him though. They documentary about him is great.

Here is a Mehmet Scholl Highlights video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsRVTNpVWfY

So if Mbappe is going to PSG then Dembele to Barca is a sure thing, no?

Good to see your true colour appearing

you were only a shite poster

good to know. One less person to worry about then

how in the fuck do ffp work with Mbappe joining PSG as well? I am consistently amazed at how corrupt this shitty organization that runs this sport is

^ Scholl was always quite the man when he played. Generic broadcaster though :\ Also Dortmund handing another L to Barcelona lol

yella

Just joined the Fantasy Premier League group as oldyella. I would also like to be added to the google docs, but I primarily use my phone to post. Can someone add me please?

Username: yella
Team I support: Man United
FPL squad name: oldyella

I would also like to echo the sentiments that it's good to see this thread so active again. I was primarily a lurker in the threads before the last culling; I'm hoping to be more active this year. I'll probably do a post with my predictions for league positions on Friday.

Just joined the Fantasy Premier League group as oldyella. I would also like to be added to the google docs, but I primarily use my phone to post. Can someone add me please?

Username: yella
Team I support: Man United
FPL squad name: oldyella

I would also like to echo the sentiments that it's good to see this thread so active again. I was primarily a lurker in the threads before the last culling; I'm hoping to be more active this year. I'll probably do a post with my predictions for league positions on Friday.

Added you! And welcome 😊

Icolin

Banned
Rewatched the Community Shield. Goddamn, Elneny's quite good. He's always been a star for Egypt, and while he was solid for Arsenal, his performance in the Community Shield proves that he can be more than just solid, and lock down a starting role. Hope it happens.

Rewatched the Community Shield. Goddamn, Elneny's quite good. He's always been a star for Egypt, and while he was solid for Arsenal, his performance in the Community Shield proves that he can be more than just solid, and lock down a starting role. Hope it happens.

Yeah, if he keeps getting better in defense he'll lock the starting DM role in Arsenal alongside Xhaka. He played well as a center back in pre-season as well. Xhaka is my favorite deep-lying playmaker these days, a role that's definitely rare in the premier league, and I hope Elneny can support him well.

Fady K

€12M annual salary for an 18 year old kid who played decently for a season... What a joke.

Seriously... it's gone very mad with football. Six years ago i thought my club were nuts for paying £50m pounds for Torres, and now, it's gone through the roof. Madrid raised the bar with Bale and James, then United went the same route with Lukaku and Pogba. Never did I imagine PSG would top that by a distance a few MONTHS later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom