• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who to believe though? Melissa Reddy says:

"I've been told it is "not true" that Phil Coutinho has handed in a transfer request "

James Pearce too:

"#LFC adamant that they haven't received a transfer request from Philippe Coutinho"

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Who to believe though? Melissa Reddy says:

"I've been told it is "not true" that Phil Coutinho has handed in a transfer request "

James Pearce too:

"#LFC adamant that they haven't received a transfer request from Philippe Coutinho"

It's not true then

Sky Sports are about as reliable as The Sun or the Daily Star

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
LFC are denying that he handed in a transfer request. Completely false apparently.

lol people believe Sky?

Same Sky said deal was to be done by last Thursday
Same Sky said deal was to be concluded by Tuesday
Same Sky said deal was hours away on Tuesday night
Same Sky said deal was hours away on Wednesday.

lol at you people

Who needs to buy players when all your rivals have theirs poached?

MouHuh.png

Here he comes, high and mighty Unreal Champ to come and decide judgement upon us all

I'm not judging anyone, just laughing at those who believe anything coming out of Sky. No need to get pissy.

And my comment wasn't directed at anyone. Just everyone in general not just in GAF.

Labadal

It could determine the league but yeah I agree with you.
Yeah, it's absolutely true. I'm just getting tired of it. I feel like it has been ridiculous this year and it reminds of what I no longer like in football: The greed and how money rules everything. It has always been like this, yes, but not to this extent.

Really excited by tonight's game. I'm guessing Arsenal will win 3-1, even though my hope is that they lose.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
As a Liverpool fan this transfer window has been exhausting and I'm fucking sick of it.

Realistically, who would Liverpool get/play that would replace Coutinho?

No one. There are no realistically available players that could replace him. We'd end up paying 100m for any old shite. I'm gonna give up speculating until we definitely find out if the request is true or not.

Labadal

Realistically, who would Liverpool get/play that would replace Coutinho?

No one.

Mignolet/Ward

Left back
Matip
Lovren
Clyne

Henderson/Can
Winjaldum/Can/Grujic
Lallana/Can/Grujic

Mane/Sturridge
Salah/Sturridge
Firminho/Sturridge

I don't rate Origi or Klavan. I hope Gomez gets some games in the cups. I have some hopes for him. If we can't offload Sakho, I'd prefer him over Lovren. If Moreno shows up this year, I'd like him and Robertson to fight for LB position and shove Milner up the midfield and let him fight for a starting position. (Only as defensive mid). Woodburn is still a little puppy. He's got potential, but needs to be able to handle physical opponents. I'd give Solanke a go. If a new signing played like he has during pre-season, people would have gone batshit insane with happiness.

Looking at that (a team without Coutinho), it is fairly obvious that we need a creative No. 10. Rakitic isn't it, but I'd take him and a hefty sum of money any day of the week.

Markitron

Okay, then go pay for better players.

There are no available better players. Tbh I'd rather they wait and get someone that will improve the squad rather than paying over the odds for players that won't be an automatic choice for the starting 11.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
ITKs saying carvalho is nearly there. monster signing. doubly fun to see the bigger clubs have a shocking window.

reckon we'll finish somewhere between the bottom three and the top one.

Markitron

James Pearce, the unofficial spokesman for LFC, is denying that Coutinho handed in a transfer request.

kromeo

All the talent wants to leave the EPL. World class players don't want to play in second tier leagues (unless they are offered some oil money).

Not sure if this is an attempt at a wind up but the top players want to go to Real Madrid or Barcelona the same as they always have done. The premiership is in no way a second tier league

Kill3r7

There are no available better players. Tbh I'd rather they wait and get someone that will improve the squad rather than paying over the odds for players that won't be an automatic choice for the starting 11.

Do you think Liverpool can get Top4 or win the EL w/o Coutinho? If no, then they need to find a way to close the gap so they do one of those things. Otherwise you are not getting someone better next year w/o CL football unless you massively overpay.

Markitron

Do you think Liverpool can get Top4 or win the EL w/o Coutinho? If no, then they need to find a way to close the gap so they do one of those things. Otherwise you are not getting someone better next year w/o CL football unless you massively overpay.

Probably not, but I don't see any of those players you mentioned changing that either. Best bet would be to start scouting now and find someone to fit Klopp's system.

I guess the dilemma is what you do with the Coutinho money though? Splash it all on a replacement? Or do you use that + the money already available to balance the squad? Didn't do so well when we did it with Suarez, but that was under Brendan though.

CrayToes

I guess the dilemma is what you do with the Coutinho money though? Splash it all on a replacement? Or do you use that + the money already available to balance the squad? Didn't do so well when we did it with Suarez, but that was under Brendan though.

We could buy Barkley AND Sigurdsson!

Markitron

At least they did spend the Suarez money back then, even if it was spent terribly. I don't trust them to reinvest any cash from a Coutinho deal, whether it's this year or next.

We could buy Barkley AND Sigurdsson!

I might have taken the actual Ross Barkley, not the Arya Stark in a Ross Barkley mask version of him that exists nowadays. I wouldn't be interested in Siggi either as he had the chance to come before and chose Spurs instead, also I don't think he's good enough.

sora87

We'd need a special player to come in if he went, someone with creativity and end product. There's just not many players available like him these days.
We still need more players in even if he stays or goes though.

Markitron

I think Siggy could.

I think he's a good player in a Swansea team built around him, I don't think he stands out quite so much in a team of higher standards, as we saw at Spurs. 50+ M for him at 28 would be a big gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom