• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

Watching MOTD is quite interesting. Joe Hart made another goal keeping error. It was a foul earlier so that's a bullshit goal but Hart should have saved that. Szczesny would get roasted if he let that in. Not quite sure what Mancini's talking about because for me anyway Sunderland had the better chances in that game. Could of scored a few more if they knew where the target was. It was a Giroud/Gervinho performance from their forwards.

Liverpool got out played. Stoke played very well and you cannot conceed soft goals against Stoke. It's so hard to score against Stoke.

lol, I remember Kermit telling me on the facebook group that Hart has only made 2 errors this past year and both were in an England shirt.

Salazar

Mirror transfer bollocks says Liverpool in for Butland and Di Santo.

Wigan would need some persuading, I'd think. For a January move, anyway. It's not like they're in a position to neatly replace him.

sohois

Mirror transfer bollocks says Liverpool in for Butland and Di Santo.

Wigan would need some persuading, I'd think. For a January move, anyway. It's not like they're in a position to neatly replace him.

The implication I got was that it would be a free transfer for Di Santo. In any case, seems like its probably just the Mirror assuming because Di Santo was once a Chelsea youth product and Rodgers was youth coach that he'll make a move.

Well to be fair De Gea is dog shit whereas Hart is at least a competent, if not good GK.

ioZeZsv05prUV.gif

Lightning

Banned
Well to be fair De Gea is dog shit whereas Hart is at least a competent, if not good GK.
De Gea is a very good shot stopper. Media portray an incorrect image of him. Watch him play, and that's with a shaky defense in front of him and he is in fact very good. I would honestly say they are equal, both very good, but neither in the class of Neuer/Casillas just yet.

De Gea is future Spain no1. I have no doubt. He will become world class, he's got all the tools.

Salazar

Da Gea being crap

He has had an absurd amount of shots coming at him this season (the statistics are pretty awful; I think only QPR have "conceded" more shots on goal than us). His LB is a notable wanderer. His CBs change from week to week. His fairly shaky defence gets marginal protection from our hilarious midfield. He gets dropped and rotated (the difference is fairly superficial) quite a bit.

A crap keeper in those conditions would go completely to pieces. DeGea hasn't. He makes mistakes, but I'll want him in against Madrid. No question.

De Gea hasn't made me nearly as annoyed as Barthez used to. He has some way to go before he gets me quite as fucking pissed as that.

De Gea is a very good shot stopper. Media portray an incorrect image of him. Watch him play, and that's with a shaky defense in front of him and he is in fact very good. I would honestly say they are equal, both very good, but neither in the class of Neuer/Casillas just yet.

De Gea is future Spain no1. I have no doubt. He will become world class, he's got all the tools.

Maybe you are right and at least stat wise towards the end of last season he did seem to be in route to being a good goallie but I will stick to "pretending"(hoping) he is Almunia 2.0. Incidentally hasn't Neuer been pretty crap this year? That's what my Bundesliga following friend keeps saying anyway.

Nah he isn't as good as Hart, no chance.

I have every confidence he will be though, and better.

De Gea really needs us to start helping him out. I know the keeper is there to deal with things going into the box but he is far far too busy. Yesterday he probably had to deal with at least 10 shots and more deliveries into the box. He made one mistake (albeit a pretty bad one).

Maybe you are right and at least stat wise towards the end of last season he did seem to be in route to being a good goallie but I will stick to pretending(hoping) he is Almunia 2.0. Incidentally hasn't Neuer been pretty crap this year? That's what my Bundesliga following friend keeps saying anyway.

Yeah, Adler is the best in the Bundesliga.

De Gea has only made what? 2 obvious mistakes? The vidic mistake and yesterday's mistake? He's made ridiculous saves and has kept us in a lot of games (Ex: Everton). Every mistake he makes gets exaggerated and while other keepers' mistakes get talked about by pundits/commentators, they rarely mention them in the following games.

He wasn't performing well in his first half of last season. He's performed well since then.

Edit: De Gea has been rated as the top PL goalkeeper this season by whoscored. And yet United have conceded 28 goals this season. Of course, that shouldn't be taken as fact, but it at least shows that he has been performing well this season.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2

The main positive for us with with De Gea, as Sad said, is that he has remained composed.

Last season early on he did look at sea. This year he has been far more focused and confident in himself which bodes well.

He did have one genuinely terrible game though, at Newcastle, where we actually kept a clean sheet :lol

Lightning

Banned
Nah he isn't as good as Hart, no chance.

I have every confidence he will be though, and better.

De Gea really needs us to start helping him out. I know the keeper is there to deal with things going into the box but he is far far too busy. Yesterday he probably had to deal with at least 10 shots and more deliveries into the box. He made one mistake (albeit a pretty bad one).
I don't agree, I think he is. Hart made a bad mistake yesterday too, cost his side the match. Just like his goal keeping cost his side the match against Real Madrid and Man Utd. Hart has to shoulder some blame in all those games. De Gea has a ridiculously hard task at United because of the awesome style open play that United play. United are head and shoulders the best side to watch this season by a long way because of how open and exciting their play is but for a goal keeper it's an absolute nightmare and given the circumstances compared to the situation at City De Gea holds his own against Hart imo. The amount of saves De Gea makes is staggering. I mean of course you will make a mistake when your defenders are allowing the opposition to use you as target practice.

Speaking of bad players... Where the heck is the hype for Zaha coming from? Excuse me while I put my tinfoil hat on, but does anyone else think this is some PR campaign by Palace? It escalated so quickly and I just had to laugh at his England call up. Stat wise he is terrible(Ince destroys him) and all the compilation video meant to highlight him end up making him look like a selfish imbecile who doesn't know anything about passing or team play. He does have pretty nice physique for a potential future CF tho.

Speaking of bad players... Where the heck is the hype for Zaha coming from? Excuse me while I put my tinfoil hat on, but does anyone else think this is some PR campaign by Palace? It escalated so quickly and I just had to laugh at his England call up. Stat wise he is terrible(Ince destroys him) and all the compilation video meant to highlight him end up making him look like a selfish imbecile who doesn't know anything about passing or team play. He does have pretty nice physique for a potential future CF tho.
Like you I'm unconvinced.

I'd be pissed if we dropped £15m on him.

Salazar

Yeah, he has been styling on some appalling and timid defending. Someone like Zabaleta will come in and take him and the ball before he knows what is going on.

Lightning

Banned
I honestly don't know either. I will be fuming if he is Wenger's "exceptional" talent buy to try and turn our fortunes around. Getting tired of unproven players from the Championship at high fees.

I honestly don't know either. I will be fuming if he is Wenger's "exceptional" talent buy to try and turn our fortunes around. Getting tired of unproven players from the Championship at high fees.

Well for under 10mil there is some sort of perverse pleasure in seeing him replace Walcott, if only to see other Arsenal fan rage when he doesn't perform. Besides he can't be much worse than Gervinho. Tho I'd much rather Arsenal actually try and give Joel Campbell a go if he is still an Arsenal player at the end of summer instead of Zaha.

pulga

Banned
Well for under 10mil there is some sort of perverse pleasure in seeing him replace Walcott, if only to see other Arsenal fan rage when he doesn't perform. Besides he can't be much worse than Gervinho. Tho I'd much rather Arsenal actually try and give Joel Campbell a go if he is still an Arsenal player at the end of summer instead of Zaha.

He's currently on loan at Real Betis, methinks. And please no, the less talented and experienced costa rican players, the better off for Honduras' chances of WC14 qualification D:

He's currently on loan at Real Betis, methinks. And please no, the less talented and experienced costa rican players, the better off for Honduras' chances of WC14 qualification D:

Yep with the option to make it permanent for 10mil at the end of the season. Honestly it's not like the Spanish clubs don't know how to develop their young talents, he is much more likely to get his development hindered at Arsenal in favour of some of the talent coming through the academy and whoever Wenger's next target man flop is going to be.

pulga

Banned
Not quite sure what Real fans problem with Casillas is but you cannot replace him with a better keeper in the world because there isn't one

lol should've ended with a /Mourinho. Of course I'm not being serious. I do have a big problem with how much shit him and Ramos have been stirring up, though.

Turok_TTZ

Not quite sure what Real fans problem with Casillas is but you cannot replace him with a better keeper in the world because there isn't one
I have no problems with casillas, he is the best in the world. our defense is what lets us down. casillas somehow gets the flack whilst the brainless duo of pepe and ramos get a free pass.

i unfortunately actually know a few persons who want casillas sold off and get a "better" keeper :/

Oh wow, why must almost every German sport website post Bild shit? It's fucking sad.

Today: "United with a huge offer for Lewandowski. He'll earn €25m, over 5 years."

That's just like 500k a year more than what we offered him, idiots, how is that even a huge offer.

Clegg

Oh wow, why must almost every German sport website post Bild shit? It's fucking sad.

Today: "United with a huge offer for Lewandowski. He'll earn €25m, over 5 years."

That's just like 500k a year more than what we offered him, idiots, how is that even a huge offer.

SAF won't stop until he's signed most of your starting XI.

Lightning

Banned
Looks more like Lewa's agent trying to instigate a bidding war for him. Which will probably work when the time comes for his signature in the transfer market.

I wouldn't be surprised if City were in for him as well.

Isn't Lewandowski the primary forward in what is right now a better team? So why would he want to downgrade to being a third choice forward at Man U where he would have to compete with two wc players in front of him for the next two to three years? Unless Rooney is being sold, I just can't see it happening.

feel

Messi is in Argentina for the christmas break period, most recent interview he said:

I don't really agree that his goals are meaningless if Barca were to go trophy-less, would just mean they were not that important.

Meaningless would mean you get nothing out of them, but you do still get CL qualification, entertained fans, records etc.

I too hope Messi retires at Barca.
Well that's a shame. It would be exciting to see him go to another league some day (but while still on his prime) and see if he could still pull it off week after week while dealing with new teammates, more agressive defenders, etc.

Top Bottom