• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

You said you weren't defending him. Would it be wrong to say that United-GAF wasn't exactly critical of him for what he did?
Yes it would be.

That however is not the same as defending him or justifying his actions.

And it has nothing to do with his presser and his comments today because those aren't directed to any official at all.

If people need me to say Fergie's a cunt I can say it. I've said it plenty of times before. I don't see why that makes any argument more or less legitimate though. His presser today was hilarious IMO and I love how it's riled people up. That's all I'm saying.

Arnie

Arnie you tit, you gave away the ending location of ME3
I'd like to be remorseful but the story's a great mound of ass anyway, I don't know how anyone could be truly perturbed by that information. I'm not spoiling an oscar winning plot, nor am I revealing part of The Dark Knight's script. It's Mass Effect. You go to London (it doesn't look like London, if someone said you were in Washington, or Marseille, nobody would give a shit). Shrug. Sorry.
I haven't said what he did to the official was correct. I said it was wrong just a couple of posts above.

And there is absolutely nothing in his press conference today that deserves a ban or any type of action.

And what you've said about the over-reaction towards Suarez is EXACTLY how people see Ferguson and United and our players. If somebody had a go at Ferguson the way he has at Pardew today, everybody would love it.
I think Ferguson's comment 'he forgets everything I've done for him' is out of line, and comes across as a thinly veiled threat. Accusing him of hypocrisy is fair game, because he has a point, but this entire situation has stemmed from just how much Ferguson has got away with over the last two weeks.

Shouting in an officials face, and publicly blasting a referee personally after the match is a punishable offence, and it's his reputation that's saved him.

Wilbur

Banned
You said you weren't defending him. Would it be wrong to say that United-GAF wasn't exactly critical of him for what he did?

I think he looked a knob for coming out berating the officials, but then I see managers do that every game when they think something's gone against their team.

I think post-match rules about criticising referees are ludicrous. It's got to the point where even if you're justified in saying what you say you get fined anyway. So for me, his post match comments didnt really equate to much, and I've said as much when Martinez/Rodgers/Allardyce etc. have had gripes in the past.

Pardew then crowed up and asked for Fergie to be banned despite the incident being deemed unnecessary of it by the FA. Dick move. Fergie then berates Pards and Newcaatle. Dick move.

Arnie

Sold Balotelli to PSG for £20 million in January, our relationship became untennable, and he's been in the reserves since November. Bought Jovetic for £25 million, more versatile, too. Won manager of the year. Missed out on Pastore, he went to Inter.

Signed El Shawaary on a Bosman, too, he arrives in the summer. Three and a half star potential, £18k a week.

FootballFan

It's always sunny is one of the greatest shows ever. I fucking love this. Almost done with season 2.

Is it improv?

Man I wish I could watch it again for the first time.

Holy shit I never saw this ahahahaha

downloadd4kx0.gif

It's hard to find a bigger cunt that Ferguson, but you've done it.

Did he get banned for this?

Nope.

Portugals person of the year right there.

Wilbur

Banned
Sold Balotelli to PSG for £20 million in January, our relationship became untennable, and he's been in the reserves since November. Bought Jovetic for £25 million, more versatile, too. Won manager of the year. Missed out on Pastore, he went to Inter.

Signed El Shawaary on a Bosman, too, he arrives in the summer. Three and a half star potential, £18k a week.

You still at Napoli? That's a swag deal for Pharoah

Except Rafa, B-Rod and maybe Steve Clarke.

I think as great as Rafa seems to be outside football (and of course not much gets spoken of SAF generally being great outside football, with youth teams and charities and letters and help to other managers etc.), he can be a knob as a manager. B-Rod is a pretentious silly billy.

Clarke and Hughton are the only ones I can think of in the Prem. Probably O'Dermott as well, he just looks like a sad supermarket manager.

Arnie

Nope.

Portugals person of the year right there.

He's a dirty cunt.

Rafa rant was brilliant, said what the majority of football fans thought, that Ferguson gets away with making comments about officials based on his stature in the game.

Yep. Third season now, top of the league in January, got Porto in the CL second round.

Rumours circling that Dalglish won't renew his contract and will leave Liverpool at the end of the season. My time to shine, win Serie A, modest CL finish, and swoop into the Anfield hotseat as a 35 year old Portuguese hotshot called Abelio Mateus.

Fintan

I think as great as Rafa seems to be outside football (and of course not much gets spoken of SAF generally being great outside football, with youth teams and charities and letters and help to other managers etc.), he can be a knob as a manager. B-Rod is a pretentious silly billy.

Clarke and Hughton are the only ones I can think of in the Prem. Probably O'Dermott as well, he just looks like a sad supermarket manager.

Nigel Adkins seems alright, unless there's something I don't know about him.

GolazoDan

Michael Laudrup, the sexiest manager in the Premier League.

O'Dermot looks like Gregg Wallace off of Masterchef and they always interview him with the camera right up near his face.

Quotes poetry and all that shit in press conferences, unacceptable. Should be sacked for that pretentiousness alone.

Rafa ended up looking like a dick in his "I congratulate his players" interview anyway.

That rant had remarkably little impact in that title race. Weird how it's been morphed into the turning point.

Wilbur

Banned

I think he's well up himself. I really like him to be honest, but there's something of the egotist about him.

B-Rod, AVB and Martinez fall into the category of decent guys trying to come across as very clever and tactical geniuses, so that puts them on the lower rung of knobs

Yen

B-Rod is mutating into the Kenneth Dalglish/David Brent hybrid everyone knew he could. Tears in my eyes. The man has a philosophy and he surely reads a book a week.
B-Rod seems a bit pretentious, but jesus, Roy Fucking Hodgson was once our manager. No one will ever bum themselves as much as that man did.

Yes it would be.

That however is not the same as defending him or justifying his actions.

And it has nothing to do with his presser and his comments today because those aren't directed to any official at all.

If people need me to say Fergie's a cunt I can say it. I've said it plenty of times before. I don't see why that makes any argument more or less legitimate though. His presser today was hilarious IMO and I love how it's riled people up. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not talking about what he said about Pardew. It's that criticism of Ferguson when the incident with the official happened seemed few and far between.

On Pardew, is this what people are talking about?

"I think Mike Dean might feel slightly disappointed he didn't do something about it," Pardew said. "I think the pressure that was on him was tough for a referee to take. Sometimes when you reflect on a game you think you might have acted differently. You do that as a manager and I think he might have done that as a referee."

Because I don't see anything there about him calling for a ban. Forgive me if I'm wrong with that quote, but if that's what's being referred to then people are just reading "Pardew Wants Ferguson Ban" headlines and not digging into what was actually said.

Arnie

I think he's well up himself. I really like him to be honest, but there's something of the egotist about him.

B-Rod, AVB and Martinez fall into the category of decent guys trying to come across as very clever and tactical geniuses, so that puts them on the lower rung of knobs

Rodgers tries a bit too hard sometimes, that's when my knob alert starts ringing.

There was a point during the big fan meeting the other day when he said 'I took the job 204 days ago', and it sounded so scripted and salesman like. But then there was an hour and 25 minutes of him saying boss things so I let it slide.

GolazoDan

B-Rod seems a bit pretentious, but jesus, Roy Fucking Hodgson was once our manager. No one will ever bum themselves as much as that man did.
Roy's a lovely man though, he looks like Lynn off Alan Partridge. That entire Liverpool team should have been sacked for clearly upsetting him.

Fintan

Adkins and Martinez both seem to have a sort of unflinching optimism that can be sometimes annoying and sometimes admirable. Overall, I like them both.

AVB's hilarious, I have no idea what he is saying half the time.

I'm not talking about what he said about Pardew. It's that criticism of Ferguson when the incident with the official happened seemed few and far between.
Well I don't know I wasn't watching or following the game live.

But like I said, a lack of criticism of him isn't the same as defending his actions.

And FWIW when I did log onto Twitter when I got out of work almost all the MUFC related accounts I follow mentioned how bad his behaviour was.

But again, I don't even know why this is being discussed because I didn't say I was cool with his outburst towards the official and I don't think anybody did.

Wilbur

Banned
Rodgers tries a bit too hard sometimes, that's when my knob alert starts ringing.

There was a point during the big fan meeting the other day when he said 'I took the job 204 days ago', and it sounded so scripted and salesman like. But then there was an hour and 25 minutes of him saying boss things so I let it slide.

:lol he's been ticking off every day on his Joe Allen calendar.

I like Rodgers as well to be honest. My Liverpool hate dipped lower than ever before with Kenny last year, but I quite want you to win sometimes.

In order of my like for Premier League managers (excluding SAF) because I'm bored and on the train #yolo

AVB
Jol
Clarke
Laudrup
Lambert
Hughton
Martinez
Adkins
Rodgers
Wenger
Benitez
McDermott (I called him O'Dermott earlier lol)
O'Neill
Mancini
Pulis
Redknapp
Moyes
Allardyce
Pardew

GolazoDan

Adkins and Martinez both seem to have a sort of unflinching optimism that can be sometimes annoying and sometimes admirable. Overall, I like them both.

AVB's hilarious, I have no idea what he is saying half the time.
AVB is a proud man with Cheshire heritage, ginger hair and a ginger beard, although on the flipside he definitely plays Football Manager and that win earlier in the season was a bit annoying. He's okay.

Arnie

AVB
Jol
Clarke
Laudrup
Lambert
Hughton
Martinez
Adkins
Rodgers
Wenger
Benitez
McDermott (I called him O'Dermott earlier lol)
O'Neill
Mancini
Pulis
Redknapp
Moyes
Allardyce
Pardew

muchos respecto for Moyes in the bottom three.

Guy's a slimy fucking cuntbag.

1351432060377.gif

Messi

I think I am falling out of love with gaming. Very little in the last year or so has impressed me/had me hooked. Other than Walking Dead. Feels bad man.

I think I am falling out of love with gaming. Very little in the last year or so has impressed me/had me hooked. Other than Walking Dead. Feels bad man.

Felt like this for a couple of years now too. But the walking dead and Journey saved this year for me, brilliant games, the overall direction of the industry is just sad though.

Ginger beards are the worst, except for Alonso's.

Ginger beards>Dishonored

@GolazoDan, it was surely also because he was basically the perfect player

Intelligent, respectful, played the game the right way, pleasing on the eye, skill above physique, beatiful, charismatic, soothing voice, cool, enthusiastic, stylish, aspirational, resilient.

Arnie

I'm the same, don't have time for it, lots of disappointing releases have killed all enjoyment I had left. Looking towards next generation to inspire me once again.

Some lovely premier league fixtures on TV this weekend: Arsenal v Newcastle, Everton v Chelsea, and QPR v Liverpool.

You just know there'll be something hilarious for the neutrals in that last one.

Yen

Just a very shit year. Next year we have 2 Metal Gears, GTA, that Naughty Dog game, potentially two new consoles.

Well I don't know I wasn't watching or following the game live.

But like I said, a lack of criticism of him isn't the same as defending his actions.

And FWIW when I did log onto Twitter when I got out of work almost all the MUFC related accounts I follow mentioned how bad his behaviour was.

But again, I don't even know why this is being discussed because I didn't say I was cool with his outburst towards the official and I don't think anybody did.

I'm not talking about you in particular. The root of all of this is that incident with the official. And because of that I don't think it's fair to praise him for his comments on Pardew and at the same time ignore what he did.

Were those Pardew quotes correct?

Messi

Just a very shit year. Next year we have 2 Metal Gears, GTA, that Naughty Dog game, potentially two new consoles.

Is it really 2 Metal Gears? Really excited for Last of Us. Other than that? Nada

Did we really need another gears this gen?

Top Bottom