• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

Arnie

Lol. No just no. French sides are shit and Liverpool would be able to hold their own against any of them. PSG are much like Man City in they have money without brains. The prices they have paid for players could have come out of a fictional fairy tale and they are still not that good a side.

Mr Sense has spoken.

Some people letting their heart rule their head in here.

Think Hasslehoff was at WHP last night, got a text from someone who said they met him.

Kyoufu

Lightning you know you're wrong, right? Maybe if you actually quit watching the Premier League after saying you would if RVP leaves Arsenal then you'd see how wrong you are.

It's funny because Arsenal's success is mostly thanks to Wenger buying Ligue 1 talent.

Lightning you are absolutely hilarious. Never change <3

Wilbur

Banned
It's all theoretical. On paper Liverpool should beat Villa at home considering this Villa side lose 3-0 to Wigan at home themselves. Think about it, people. How is it we can say PSG would destroy Liverpool or vice versa.

Arnie

It's funny because Arsenal's success is mostly thanks to Wenger buying Ligue 1 talent.

Which is why they've had no fucking success in the last six years you lemon.

It's all theoretical. On paper Liverpool should beat Villa at home considering this Villa side lose 3-0 to Wigan at home themselves. Think about it, people. How is it we can say PSG would destroy Liverpool or vice versa.

Let alone Marseille.

Spunky arguments, hypothetical, make believe. People thought we'd be mauled by Anzhi.

Darts is basically just a giant piss up...

...involving the players, with a fucking annoying theme song and pundits who have a faint reek of 'this sports a bit shite, we'd better glam it up and make it seem interesting' about them.

Gervinho was one of the best players in Ligue 1. Case closed.

Kyoufu

Which is why they've had no fucking success in the last six years you lemon.

Reading comprehension. I used the word "success" as in the period they were successful. You know, the time they kept their star players and not sold them off to Barcelona/Manchester.

Yen

Lightning you know you're wrong, right? Maybe if you actually quit watching the Premier League after saying you would if RVP leaves Arsenal then you'd see how wrong you are.

Lightning you are absolutely hilarious. Never change <3

Even by your standards, this is a shit rebuke.

Wilbur

Banned
Lightning does talk ludicrous amounts of hyperbolic nonsense.

So does Kyoufu.

So does Hitcher.

Lets all agree just to ban all of them.

Arnie

Reading comprehension. I used the word "success" as in the period they were successful. You know, the time they kept their star players and not sold them off to Barcelona/Manchester.

Arsenal haven't had any success in the last six years, and Wenger's still buying Ligue 1 talent. And I don't give a shit if Ligue 1 produced better prospects a decade ago, compared to now. Look at the state of the French national team. Your argument's that these French teams, would be this Liverpool team.

The cream of the French crop last season was Olivier Giroud. The season before it was Gervinho.

Your issue seems to be comprehension in general.

Lightning does talk ludicrous amounts of hyperbolic nonsense.

So does Kyoufu.

So does Hitcher.

Lets all agree just to ban all of them.

Hey, my hyperbole is intentional at least. As is Lightning's. And probably Kyoufu.

You want unaware hyperbole, read you and your fellow Mancs' bollocks about Valencia, Young and Evra

jtb

Banned
No Henry is a shame, but it's the right decision. With Walcott, Giroud, and Podolski, we've got some decent firepower up front so Henry would have been a stopgap for sentimental reasons more than anything.

Wes

venison crêpe
So it seems Michu's tackle on Ashley Westwood has broken his ankle(can't find third source, but definitely an ankle injury) and he'll be out for at very least 2 months.

K1LLER7

Hey, my hyperbole is intentional at least. As is Lightning's. And probably Kyoufu.

You want unaware hyperbole, read you and your fellow Mancs' bollocks about Valencia, Young and Evra

Evra: Best LB in the league
Young: Best swimmer in the league
Valencia: Best One-footed player in the league

Kyoufu

Arsenal haven't had any success in the last six years, and Wenger's still buying Ligue 1 talent. And I don't give a shit if Ligue 1 produced better prospects a decade ago, compared to now. Look at the state of the French national team. Your argument's that these French teams, would be this Liverpool team.

The cream of the French crop last season was Olivier Giroud.

Your issue seems to be comprehension in general.

"State of the French National Team"

You mean the same team that drew 1-1 with the World and European Champions Spain on their own turf?

They're not great, I know, but you're looking down on them again. They have great individual talent that doesn't gel too well as a team. Either that or Laurent Blanc was an atrocious coach.

And nothing wrong with Giroud. Better than fucking Daniel Sturridge.

Wilbur

Banned

:lol hyperbole.

Valencia can't put in a decent cross eight times out of ten, comes to a halt in the box and has no left foot. dat hyperbole?

Young is woefully average and doesn't have the attitude required of a potential title winning side. dat hyperbole?

Evra has been better this season but is prone to horrific positioning. dat hyperbole?

Maybe because you're used to the standards of Liverpool players, our deficiencies pale in comparison.

K1LLER7

You mean the same team that drew 1-1 with the World and European Champions Spain on their own turf?

They're not great, I know, but you're looking down on them again. They have great individual talent that doesn't gel too well as a team. Either that or Laurent Blanc was an atrocious coach.

France have Laurant Koscielny, one of the best defenders in the PL.

Arnie

If you weren't really going to address your argument you may as well not have replied.

Don't worry, I didn't expect you to keep it up.

Is Lewis Holtby going to Spurs on a free then?

Didn't Liverpool want him?
Looks like they're 'closing in'.

We wanted him, and Arsenal did, too. And Everton.

jtb

Banned
Ligue 1 has talent, it's just more expensive than it used to be so Wenger's bargain signings aren't as good as they used to be. Hazard learned his trade in Ligue 1 and I'd say he's very talented; only difference is he cost 30m where Giroud cost 10. Plus, if you're buying into Ligue 1 expecting top of the line talents that are the finished article... well you're not going to find that anywhere, at least not on the cheap.

And Giroud's pretty good guys :(

The less said about Gervinho the better...

Yen

By "State of the French National Team", he means the fact France struggled to get out of their group at the Euros and were easily swatted aside by World and European Champions Spain in the first knockout round.

:lol hyperbole.

Valencia can't put in a decent cross eight times out of ten, comes to a halt in the box and has no left foot. dat hyperbole?

Young is woefully average and doesn't have the attitude required of a potential title winning side. dat hyperbole?

Evra has been better this season but is prone to horrific positioning. dat hyperbole?

Maybe because you're used to the standards of Liverpool players, our deficiencies pale in comparison.

If I didn;t look at the league table and only based my opinion on this place, I'd think Evra was the worst left back in the league (after Beasajour,) Ashley Young had only ever put in 3 good performances for you, and Valencia was a genuinely shit player when the fact of the matter is that he's a very good player gong through a very rough patch of form

Kyoufu

If you weren't really going to address your argument you may as well not have replied.

Don't worry, I didn't expect you to keep it up.

So you mock the national team but when I make a point that they can give the best NT in the world a game you just give me the "herp derp" response.

Why bother?

By "State of the French National Team", he means the fact France struggled to get out of their group at the Euros and were easily swatted aside by World and European Champions Spain in the first knockout round.

And like I said. Laurent Blanc failed.

Arnie

Ligue 1 made Joe Cole look good.

Messi-like, even.

Ligue 1 made Steven Gerrard look intelligent.

So you mock the national team but when I make a point that they can give the best NT in the world a game you just give me the "herp derp" response.

Why bother?
I used the national team's current state, compared with it's state a decade prior, to make a general and wholly peripheral point about the current state of French football. One off games mean shit, Kyoufu. Celtic beat Barcelona, and what? Instead of running off on an arbitrary tangent defending today's French national team, why not address the point at large, the one we're actually meant to be discussing?

Ligue 1's notorious of late for making mediocre players (for our standards) look exceptional.

Lightning

Banned
No Henry is a shame, but it's the right decision. With Walcott, Giroud, and Podolski, we've got some decent firepower up front so Henry would have been a stopgap for sentimental reasons more than anything.
Firstly how was your Christmas and New Years man? I hope you had an excellent time.

We've got some problems in our team. On paper looks like plenty pf firepower but on the pitch it never seems to work out that way. Arteta/Wilshere/Cazorla are all attacking players by nature but we look so dead and hopeless in certain games that it is very difficult to figure out why. What is your assessment of this because clearly we have issues in attack? Too many points dropped from just barely being able to get a shot off.

Wilbur

Banned
If I didn;t look at the league table and only based my opinion on this place, I'd think Evra was the worst left back in the league (after Beasajour,) Ashley Young had only ever put in 3 good performances for you, and Valencia was a genuinely shit player when the fact of the matter is that he's a very good player gong through a very rough patch of form

Ashley Young has only ever put in three good performances for us. Arsenal, Blackburn, City.

You wild thing.

Ashley Young has only ever put in three good performances for us. Arsenal, Blackburn, City.
Spurs away last season was very good.

As I said earlier though, my problem with Young isn't his ability - he's not rubbish, he's a decent player, just above average.

It's his mentality and lack of balls. Makes me sick.

Wilbur

Banned
You wild thing.

Spurs away last season was very good.

As I said earlier though, my problem with Young isn't his ability - he's not rubbish, he's a decent player, just above average.

It's his mentality and lack of balls. Makes me sick.

Can't remember that game, but still. My problem is the same as yours. How anyone can argue he's got the right mentality for our club is nonsense.

Half the United stuff is tongue in cheek, Hitcher. There's still people that think we're serious about Cleverley.

I almost put The Dublin Supercup on. Which we won pre 2011/12 season.

Wow you've won it the most times out of any club, ever.

I miss the Intertoto
icon_toto.jpg
Cup

Wilbur

Banned
Ferguson's not a mug, if that was even approaching the truth he'd have got rid in the summer, and he certainly wouldn't be starting most of your matches

He's had three, four stand out games. Our other options are woefully out of form Valencia, 39 year old Giggs, or injured Nani. He's English.

Ferguson is indeed a mug. I don't know what you're trying to argue, that Young plays well enough consistently for us?

Man management mainly, but their performance was pretty dire. Deschamps seems to be doing a better job but we'll see.

£10 says England get further in the 2014 WC than France (if both get there)

@KWilbury, no, I'm arguing that your criticism of those 3 in particular is hyperbolic

Can't remember that game, but still. My problem is the same as yours. How anyone can argue he's got the right mentality for our club is nonsense.

Half the United stuff is tongue in cheek, Hitcher. There's still people that think we're serious about Cleverley.
He does work very hard in fairness to him which is probably why Ferguson likes to have him in the side, especially with our full backs bombing on.

Ferguson knows exactly what he has with him though. You hear him speak about some players, even Nani for example, and he'll wax lyrical about their talent and courage to constantly take the ball and run at players and want to create things.

He doesn't speak that way about Young. He knows his limits but he wants somebody who does the basics and helps plug gaps. I would just much rather that winger was Valencia with some more flair on the other side.

Top Bottom