• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

Kyoufu

I used the national team's current state, compared with it's state a decade prior, to make a general and wholly peripheral point about the current state of French football. One off games mean shit, Kyoufu. Celtic beat Barcelona, and what? Instead of running off on an arbitrary tangent defending today's French national team, why not address the point at large, the one we're actually meant to be discussing?

Ligue 1's notorious of late for making mediocre players (for our standards) look exceptional.

I don't disagree with Ligue 1's state currently. It's a 2 team league atm, but those two teams are class. They'd be even better if foreign clubs didn't poach their talent all the time. PSG are the only club in Ligue 1 who can keep their players on a long-term basis so I expect them to get even stronger as the league slips further and further.

And of course it's nothing like it was a decado ago when the likes of Henry played for Monaco.

Wilbur

Banned
£10 says England get further in the 2014 WC than France (if both get there)

@KWilbury, no, I'm arguing that your criticism of those 3 in particular is hyperbolic

And I would disagree. Evra is a left back who has consistently gone missing positionally in the last few seasons. Valencia is a winger woefully out of form, and you won't have seen me criticising him until this season when - lo and behold - he hit a bad patch of form. Young is an average winger that doesn't fight for every ball nor show any invention when doing his job.

If that's hyperbolic, then I'd suggest you just don't watch United games enough.

Arnie

I don't disagree with Ligue 1's state currently. It's a 2 team league atm,

KZcE6.png

As I've suspected for the last 50 minutes, I don't think you really know much about the state of Ligue 1.

Kyoufu

£10 says England get further in the 2014 WC than France (if both get there)

I don't know... England aren't bad defensively so they'll Stoke their way into the knockout stages probably. France's progress will depend on Deschamps and his ability to man manage wankers like Nasri and keep Koscielny from being utter shit.

KZcE6.png

As I've suspected for the last 50 minutes, I don't think you really know much about the state of Ligue 1.

3 team league then! So that's 3 teams that would beat Liverpool.

I don't disagree with Ligue 1's state currently. It's a 2 team league atm, but those two teams are class. They'd be even better if foreign clubs didn't poach their talent all the time. PSG are the only club in Ligue 1 who can keep their players on a long-term basis so I expect them to get even stronger as the league slips further and further.

And of course it's nothing like it was a decado ago when the likes of Henry played for Monaco.

I'm not going to pretend I know too much about Ligue 1, but it definitely isn't a two team league.

jtb

Banned
Firstly how was your Christmas and New Years man? I hope you had an excellent time.

We've got some problems in our team. On paper looks like plenty pf firepower but on the pitch it never seems to work out that way. Arteta/Wilshere/Cazorla are all attacking players by nature but we look so dead and hopeless in certain games that it is very difficult to figure out why. What is your assessment of this because clearly we have issues in attack? Too many points dropped from just barely being able to get a shot off.

Thanks, holidays have been great. Pretty exhausted from school and work so it was nice relaxing with friends and family. How about you?

I think the biggest problem with the team is, well, the same problem that's been a big issue since Viera left, and then Flamini. Without a physical presence in midfield, we can't dominate possession because it's difficult for us to get the ball back. Song was kind of a shit DM so he didn't really do the job, but we didn't really need that because we had excellent passers in the team. Arteta/Wilshere/Cazorla are all good players, but I think this trio (especailly Arteta and Cazorla) isn't physical imposing enough to be incisive with their passing, nor can they really regain possession either. And they're bound to be exhausted too. At this point, I can only hope Diaby will be fit during the window so he actually can be sold and replaced because this charade is up.

I also think the wide areas, which have been a problem area for years now, are a big issue. Our wide play is just really uninspiring in general; players make short passes when they could be making a run, the cross the ball when there's no one in the box, etc. We could use a natural wide player especially if Walcott signs a new contract (fuck it, let's give him the money) and continues his run down the center.

At least the team seems to be clicking okay... the draw today was pretty disappointing but it's really just typical Arsenal to drop points like that anyways so it's not too surprising.

K1LLER7

Valencia with a left foot would be a perfect winger.

Young can play various positions in attack which is a positive but I think we'll be getting a winger in the summer. I'm guessing Fergie wanted Moura and intended to play him on the wing. Shame we didn't get him but I think he'll be looking for a winger to come in.

And I would disagree. Evra is a left back who has consistently gone missing positionally in the last few seasons. Valencia is a winger woefully out of form, and you won't have seen me criticising him until this season when - lo and behold - he hit a bad patch of form. Young is an average winger that doesn't fight for every ball nor show any invention when doing his job.

If that's hyperbolic, then I'd suggest you just don't watch United games enough.

Whilst your last sentence is fair enough, I still think you (not you, the Man Utd fans as a group) generally go over the top with your criticism of your own team. You'd think they were Stewart Downing at his worst.
Or Joe Cole at his best :p

Wilbur

Banned
Whilst your last sentence is fair enough, I still think you (not you, the Man Utd fans as a group) generally go over the top with your criticism of your own team. You'd think they were Stewart Downing at his worst.
Or Joe Cole at his best :p

I think Downing's been better than Young this year, no lie.

Timurid

Actually its a 3 team league. You shouldn't count out Lyon, they have some good players and Remi Garde is a fantastic coach for assembling a quality team with very low funds. Also, people who say PSG don't know how to spend their money are idiots. All of their buys have been quality.

Well Evra has performed well this season, aside from a few defensive mistakes. It's much different from last season (when most of the neg comments happened). He really was awful last season.

Valencia has been truly awful this season. He's playing nothing like last season.

Young is decent and has been much better recently, but he is frustrating a lot of the times.

Kyoufu

I'm not going to pretend I know too much about Ligue 1, but it definitely isn't a two team league.

It has 4-5 solid teams that aren't lolworthy but Marseille is in a little trouble financially so they'll be selling their players. I don't know what the future brings for them but PSG are so strong financially I don't think they'll be able to compete in the coming years.

I think generally when alot of the United fans post here, especially during games, they are intentionally hyperbolic - I know I am.

But that aside, and this makes me sound like a JT, but we are holding these players to a very high standard. Evra is being compared against the Evra of 2006-2010 when he was definitely one of the very best full backs in the world. Valencia has never been a world class player but his drop from last season and the manner in which he is playing now contrasts so massively from what we're used to - resulting in widespread apathy from United fans.

As for Young - he is an ugly duckling of sorts at United. I wouldn't say the fans don't like him outright, they just don't care for him in particular. We are used to very talented wide players and Young doesn't match up to Valencia and Nani nevermind Ronaldo or Giggs.

Hitcher does have a point though - United fans are very fickle in terms of how we receive our players. That's not just from the perspective of glory hunters and fair-weather fans. It's a general trait amongst us. I don't know why it is exactly and if it's the same for other clubs, but especially when some of our players are playing badly...we are very quick to shoot them down.

Some people have started the "We could do without Rooney" train now. People who have watched United home and away for years. It's crazy talk.

Kyoufu

Would England get away with Stoke-esque tactics on the world stage?

I don't see why not. They weren't impressive whatsoever in the Euros and got past the group stage.

England produces good defenders so really it's up to the midfield and forwards. If it's anything like the Euros then expect 0-0s and 1-1s against good opposition,

Kyuofu, how many Ligue1 games have you watched this year?

Not many :( Around 6. Lille, PSG and Marseille.

Lille for example are nothing like before. Selling Hazard, Cabaye etc killed them. But as Woodenlung will agree they still have some top talent. Digne is a beast. Mavuba is good too.

I need to watch more.

Wilbur

Banned
I think generally when alot of the United fans post here, especially during games, they are intentionally hyperbolic - I know I am.

But that aside, and this makes me sound like a JT, but we are holding these players to a very high standard. Evra is being compared against the Evra of 2006-2010 when he was definitely one of the very best full backs in the world. Valencia has never been a world class player but his drop from last season and the manner in which he is playing now contrasts so massively from what we're used to - resulting in widespread apathy from United fans.

As for Young - he is an ugly duckling of sorts at United. I wouldn't say the fans don't like him outright, they just don't care for him in particular. We are used to very talented wide players and Young doesn't match up to Valencia and Nani nevermind Ronaldo or Giggs.

Hitcher does have a point though - United fans are very fickle in terms of how we receive our players. That's not just from the perspective of glory hunters and fair-weather fans. It's a general trait amongst us. I don't know why it is exactly and if it's the same for other clubs, but especially when some of our players are playing badly...we are very quick to shoot them down.

Some people have started the "We could do without Rooney" train now. People who have watched United home and away for years. It's crazy talk.

I think every fan is hyperbolic during games though; it's a natural reaction made tongue in cheek, to elicit a reaction, and to express immediate frustration/elation.

In the case of Evra, he had two seasons of genuine terrible performance, so any criticism up until this point is justified. Valencia is an odd one because we'll criticise him a lot yet it's out of frustration with knowing what he is capable of. I'd still start him more often than not.

Agreed on the rest. Wanting Rooney out is laughable. If he had gone a few years ago when he was acting like a cunt then fair enough but wanting him out now is ludicrous.

I think you guys take our comments too seriously at times.

United fans generally do not like: Young, Phelan, the duo of Giggs & Scholes (this season).

United fans really like: Pea, Shinji, Rafa, De Gea, Cleverley, RVP, and fat boy Anderson

United fans aren't serious with comments about: Clevgod, Bebe

United fans use Young as a punching bag.

That should help you lot.

I don't see why not. They weren't impressive whatsoever in the Euros and got past the group stage.

England produces good defenders so really it's up to the midfield and forwards. If it's anything like the Euros then expect 0-0s and 1-1s against good opposition,

Hodgson asks far too much of his defenders with England. It doesn't matter how good they are if the entire setup is designed around having the team stationed in and around our own penalty box, letting an endless barrage of crosses and passes into the box and hoping it falls kindly enough for a clearance. That setup helps nobody. It puts the back 6 under too much pressure, it makes counterattacks difficult, it bypasses the withdrawn striker and advanced midfielder, and its soul-destroying to watch.

I think if we'd gone through against Italy, it could have proved to be the worst thing to happen to English football for a while. Honestly.

Wilbur

Banned
I think you guys take our comments too seriously at times.

United fans generally do not like: Young, Giggs (this season), and Scholes (this season).

United fans really like: Pea, Shinji, Rafa, De Gea, Cleverley, RVP, and fat boy Anderson

United fans aren't serious with comments about: Clevgod, Bebe

United fans use Young as a punching bag.

That should help you lot.

:lol

It's the same with the formations. Half the time I do it is to piss people off. Dat deadpan posting style.

Hixx

So..

United fans: "we talk shit dont get annoyed ok we know we talk shit"

solution: stop talking shit

everyone wins.

Everyone watch Charlie Brooker's 2012 Wipe on BBC2 at 10pm

edit: Am I imagining a time where you couldn't open Tabs in internet browsers? How did we cope?

Hixx

I can't believe there are people who think we will actually sign Milner or Lescott, on loan or not.

Mentalists.

Robin van Persie on Dennis Bergkamp:

I had such gigantic respect for that man. I sat next to him in the changing room. He had Number 10, I had Number 11, so every day I sat next to my idol. I once saw a training session of his that was proof to me that this man is bizarre. I'd already finished and I was sitting in the bubble bath watching him train. They were doing a passing exercise. In that 45 minute session he didn't hit a single bad pass. He didn't make a mistake, everything 100 per cent, to the maximum. Passing in really hard, receiving the ball, bouncing it back at once - so beautiful. I thought it was art. In that way he gave me the answers I was looking for. It was his drive and concentration that opened my eyes. From that day on I knew I had a long way to go if I ever wanted to reach that level. From them on, I did every exercise 100 per cent. Because I wanted to be like Bergkamp.

tears-pf-joy-480x360.jpg

Kyoufu

Southamptons progress since they last played Arsenal is impressive.

More like Arsenal's regression since they lasted played Southampton.

Let's not kid ourselves, Southampton weren't amazing, they just happened to play a really shit Arsenal today. Sagna was poor. Walcott was invisible. Cazorla was invisible.

Top Bottom