• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

Salazar

I went to the City V Wigan game a few seasons back when ClevGod was on loan with them. He played, we won. End of story.

PKp7B.gif

Unusual that Martinez doesn't have anything to whinge about after the game.

Mastadon

Banned
Zab, I think we're slowly converting some Premier League of England to Juve fans. Wilbury, for instance, loves our Italian swag. FIGLIO DI PUTTANA, WILBZ!

As for FootyGAF who supports other Serie A teams..... well... you can take the team out of the gutter but not the gutter out of the team. Napoli
KuGsj.gif
enough said.

At least the Napoli band-wagoners... they could have at least grow some coglioni like Timerda and pick a team like Torino.

I've decided that my Serie A team is now Pescara.

Salazar

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/chris-smalling.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Barely touched him.

Redcafe fuckwit on Young

[QUOTE]Name a better backup winger out there.
[/QUOTE]

Mother of god. Even doicare can see that he's a mindbendingly average option. Same as the stone-headed fuckers who think that one or two crosses from Giggs validate his selection.

DominoKid

Redcafe fuckwit on Young

Mother of god. Even doicare can see that he's a mindbendingly average option.

Redcafe annoys the hell out of me. I read it but I've never felt the desire to post there. It's like they want it to be a circlejerk of positivity and I know I'd get ran off ASAP. I enjoy some of the fans from other teams though lol.

Salazar

Main thing I want to see happen is the defence looking for a short pass into midfield.

We've been handing over a stupid amount of possession for fuck-all reward with long stuff. West Brom and Wigan haven't properly hurt us for it, but it feels like a daft habit. If we get into a hoofball slugfest with West Ham, they'll probably beat us at it.

qindarka

Banned
Redcafe annoys the hell out of me. I read it but I've never felt the desire to post there. It's like they want it to be a circlejerk of positivity and I know I'd get ran off ASAP. I enjoy some of the fans from other teams though lol.

I honestly think Redcafe is worse than RAWK, which has a rather overblown reputation.

Salazar

I honestly think Redcafe is worse than RAWK, which has a rather overblown reputation.

Oh dear no

Pure fuckin mentalists on that board. Fixed in Laocoön-esque struggle between their love for their poxy club and their love for themselves.

It's all about the Goal.

Have to say I've tended to be in 'read only' mode for some time now as our season has continued its seemingly groundhog day inevitability whilst the analysis of why it has done so has inexorably, albeit understandably, matched it.

However, to have been at Anfield to witness those few seconds of footballing genius, nay, history mean that not to make comment in this thread would rank as highly disrespectful to the very essence of why the game ultimately means so much to so many of us.

Royhendo, VDM and Yorky amongst others have already attempted so valiantly and so eloquently to capture what Luis managed to deliver down the Kop end to a watching world. Such that any further attempt from myself at a description of the subtle yet extraordinary co-ordination and manoeuvring the goal encompassed becomes superfluous.

What I can do is to add my own little eulogy in respect of how this amazing cameo of football sublimity made me feel.

As the ball dropped from the sky, the whole thing seemed over in no time at all. Defenders left behind and goalie left spread-eagled on the deck. Then, in a flash, a beaming buck toothed Luis was emerging from out of the red net clutching the ball with which he had worked his magic. Unlike so many such glorious moments my immediate reaction was borne as much of bemusement as joyous celebration. Sure, like always, I was jumping up and down like some demented loon. Yet that was mere instinctive reaction. Perhaps even me performing to routine idiocy. For my rational side was already attempting frantically to fathom out what had taken place, imploring those around me in the front rows of the Main Stand and back row of the Paddock to come up with some rational explanation of what we’d just witnessed.

Yeah he’d latched on to this punt from Enrique but how had the next bit gone? How had he then in an instant ended up dribbling round the keeper and easing it in with such nonchalance? Nobody around appeared to have the foggiest notion but one thing for sure was we all agreed we’d witnessed something special.

The short journey home consisted of further uninformed speculation as to how he’d managed to do it coupled with repeated profanities aimed at the inane blathering of Jacko on the Radio Merseyside phone-in who predictably scarcely gave airtime to the goal. Not to worry, disappointment at the result was for once subjugated by a desperation to get home and watch exactly how Luis had managed to score this incredible goal that we had each agreed to be incredible without actually having the slightest clue at that point as to what had actually transpired to justify the tag.

Back home I watched in awe. Sure enough, it was everything I’d wanted it to be. And more. The view from Kemlyn Road finally disclosed the secret of what he’d done if not for a solitary moment providing any rational insight into how any mere mortal could have actually managed it. I was so rapt by the Kemlyn Road perspective I replayed the sequence over and over again till it almost made me cry in admiration borne purely of the sheer joyous communion it made me feel. An intrinsic connection to other incredible moments this mighty club, its players, its managers and its unique support have given us over the years.

My father, who passed away three years before Hillsborough, had appreciated great football more than anyone I’d ever known personally. He had his own heroes in Elisha Scott and Billy Liddell but was receptive enough to acknowledge the greatness of many that followed both in Liverpool red and other hues. George Best was the finest he’d ever seen he always maintained. Better than Finney and Matthews for a variety of reasons he would happily expound.

It was a view shared by myself and many others privileged to witness Best in his pomp. Yet I doubt whether even Bestie could have done what Luis did yesterday. And I'm sure my late father would have agreed. The goal we saw yesterday down the Kop end was that good. And to those who appreciate just how good Bestie was that sure is saying something about Luis Suarez.

FootballFan

Just watched the movie Cass. Pretty good flick. Mostly about hooligans.

Been watching Mad Men season 1 for the first time too, on episode 8 atm. Lovin' it.

Also Arnie and G-Unit ready for round 2?

SAF:

"I'm hoping to stay for a bit of time. There is no one on the agenda, I can assure you.

It's very difficult as names have been bandied about and football is precarious. You could be talking about one of the potentially exciting young managers - is he going to be here in two years?

I think top managers will always be in demand - Guardiola, Mourinho, David Moyes, there are a lot of successful managers out there and I don't know what their plans are.

Who knows where they will be in two or three years."

FootballFan

Yeah, delusional fans are pretty much a problem with all fan forums.

I know right, even here, Andres actually believes Tello is superior to Thiago. What a joke.

Messi even named his son after Thiago because Messi has seen the Thiago magic.(may or may not be true)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Mino Raiola “A player must never give up on bettering himself and finding new motivation. Who pledges loyalty is someone who doesn’t want to progress.

Look at Francesco Totti, what sense is there in a champion playing all of his career for the same club?.”

So I take it Pogba's next destination(s?) is already mapped out?
We're only 27 points behind you Yurt. You should be worried.

:lol Hey I wouldn't rule it out! I'm still not over our post-Christmas curse.

Salazar

If we can get rid of Joe Cole to QPR...

Much as I would giggle at Harry getting stitched up like that, I don't think he's quite that sleepy.

I dunno who they are going to get, though.

Arsenal will drop their interest in Crystal Palace youngster Wilfried Zaha, according to Talksport, if Theo Walcott signs a new deal. Walcott's advisers are reportedly meeting the Gunners to discuss fresh terms and the radio station thinks positive developments "will open the door" for United to sign Zaha.

Yes, yes. Drench me in your banal transfer metaphors, Talksport. Does someone have a foot in this open door ?

Salazar

Harry has pretty much said he wants him if a deal can be struck.

Huh. Well, fair play to Cole if he goes. Not a terrific situation but at least it's football.

Rjrxr.jpg

The tear-jerking event took place at half-time of Swansea's New Year's Day match against Aston Villa.

After a truly epic run-up from the half-way line, the youngster dragged his penalty low and left of the post.

Distraught and in tears, he was persuaded to come back and have another go - and this time, he made no mistake, 'doing a Stuart Pearce' to banish his demons by slotting home past the Swansea mascot.

Arnie

Also Arnie and G-Unit ready for round 2?

Pretty telling that he even mentioned Moyes' name; as Salazar said, one is very unlike the others, but if you've listened to me and heeded sense you'll realise that he's nailed on for the job, hence Ferguson bringing his name up alongside La Liga, and Champions League winning managers.

Pep will be in a job within the summer, Ferguson won't be out of a job in the summer. The least I ask of G-Unit is to use his brain, rather than discount Moyes on the basis that he's never heard of him, because he doesn't follow the English league. He discounted Moyes at his peril, and he's looking foolish now.

Some of that really reminds me of you.

Was thinking the same.

Main thing I want to see happen is the defence looking for a short pass into midfield.

We've been handing over a stupid amount of possession for fuck-all reward with long stuff. West Brom and Wigan haven't properly hurt us for it, but it feels like a daft habit. If we get into a hoofball slugfest with West Ham, they'll probably beat us at it.

Interestingly Man Utd have the highest average possession stats in the league. 60%. Better than Arsenal, City, Swansea, Liverpool, Tottenham etc etc.

Can't remember where I saw that yesterday, Sky Sports? Cos I've just checked and City, UTD, Liverpool and Arsenal are all tied for 58% now. Hmmmm.

Arnie

Don't lie.

"Nailed on" is overdoing it. Frogie could just be doing Moyes a favour, in any case, in the sense that he's ready for a bigger job but perhaps not one of the biggest.

There aren't any jobs that Moyes will go on to in the English game, other than United, and we both know it. Spurs was an outside possibility, but now that's improbable. Chelsea don't hire people of Moyes' stature, Arsenal wouldn't, either.

Not surprised you're still refusing to accept the inevitable, you went on record as G-Unit's biggest supporter. 'No chance of Moyes', apparently. Well Ferguson strung you up good.

Ferguson doesn't mention any names himself.

The interviewer himself suggets all 3 and Fergie responds by saying they all have a chance.

Sorry Arnold.

The end result's the same, no?

Well it will be.
Maybe it will be - just the report makes it sound like he himself nominated those 3. He doesn't nominate any of them, they are put to him instead.

Anyhow, people who have a good track record for United info have been saying Fergie's been telling a different story to "I'm here for a while yet" to them. One to watch.

Arnie

Maybe it will be - just the report makes it sound like he himself nominated those 3. He doesn't nominate any of them, they are put to him instead.

Anyhow, people who have a good track record for United info have been saying Fergie's been telling a different story to "I'm here for a while yet" to them. One to watch.

Makes more sense, actually, because Pep isn't in contention, really, not properly.

Makes more sense, actually, because Pep isn't in contention, really, not properly.
BTW when you were discussing (if you can call it that) with g-unit you mentioned you had formed your opinion after reading Pep's book - does Pep have a book or did you mean Hunter's one?

Fergie really wants him at United though, for sure.

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. Looking forward to watching some games.

Also, I know next to nothing about the Italian leagues..maybe later. one step at a time!
City fan to City fan, this place isn't worth it. There aren't many of us here. One of the posters will never read your posts anyways. The other one is a cool dude with a killer 'stache but he's too excitable really. There was a furry dude but he fucked off. One of the others banished himself cos he couldn't help embarrassing himself. And then there was Kermit. Was.

So save yourself the trouble and don't ever come back.

Arnie

There's more chance of Moyes being the next Liverpool manager than the United one. Keep hoping Arnie.
Hoping? I think Moyes will be excellent at United.

I'm sorry that it'll disappoint you, though. I suppose you began supporting United for the glitz and the glamour lacking in Scottish football, Moyes doesn't really scratch that itch.
BTW when you were discussing (if you can call it that) with g-unit you mentioned you had formed your opinion after reading Pep's book - does Pep have a book or did you mean Hunter's one?

Fergie really wants him at United though, for sure.

No, that's not what I meant.

I knew Moyes was going to be the next United manager before I read Pep's book, before this summer, stretching back for a year now. It's Ballague's book on Pep that made me sure that he wouldn't be the next United manager. Those citing Ferguson's foreword are falling into a trap, the very essence of that foreword, and the following chapter, outline the huge differences between Pep and Ferguson (Pep's idol), as managers.

I don't think we disagree that when United look to appoint their next manager, they're looking for Ferguson's long term successor, but someone who'll very much continue, rather than reinvent.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
'Arry says "only a real dope" would fail at being manager of Chelsea.

Dat AVB bitterness.

I ship this.

You'd have to be a real dope to blow a 10 point lead with a team containing Van Der Vaart, Bale and Modric too.

Top Bottom