• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT11| Campaign: Save a donkey in Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Clegg, I saw your PM late, but I replied eventually!

What's the need? He is obviously was good enough to start in United's midfield. I'd be annoyed if I were a United fan.

Yeah, I am annoyed we didn't keep Pogba.

Taking digs from an Arsenal fan though :lol, priceless

Timurid

RIP Nick Broad.

He was PSG's Performance manager.
He died in a car accident on Thursday and he was only 38.

You'll be missed. :(

60646.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
Because it's laughable. He couldn't get into United's midfield yet he got into Juventus? Le them "bash" us. It's hilarious .

Well, he is still second choice for Juventus, so lets not go around sucking Mino's dick just yet.

Yes, it was a massive oversight from Fergie. But I think that he stuck to his principals and didn't bow to a youth player that proved nothing asking for extortionate amounts of money, and I respect that.

Fintan

Predictions for tomorrow? I have absolutely no confidence in our home form, and that 3-5 is still fresh in the memory. Hopefully Ba starts, might have a chance then. At least there's a few away games after this :lol

Salvadora

Well, he is still second choice for Juventus, so lets not go around sucking Mino's dick just yet.

Yes, it was a massive oversight from Fergie. But I think that he stuck to his principals and didn't bow to a youth player that proved nothing asking for extortionate amounts of money, and I respect that.

Bow to a youth player? If you gave him a chance you'd have seen how talented he was.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh I agree, especially when they keep moaning about not having midfielders. Every time Pogba does well I have a good laugh.

rvp_2311505b.jpg

Bow to a youth player? If you gave him a chance you'd have seen how talented he was.

I know how talented he is. I'm pretty sure Fergie knows how talented he is. The fact remains he was asking for a ludicrous amount of money instead of signing a deal after being told he'd get a chance this season. He was told that but instead of signing for lesser money at United, he went and signed for more money at Juventus. Good luck to him, he made the choice he felt was right.

Salvadora

You didn't give Pogba one chance in the first team despite his obvious talent, and it's completely Ferguson's fault.
Edit: Yeah lets dismiss it as a money issue when you completely let him down.

Wilbur

Banned
You didn't give Pogba one chance in the first team despite his obvious talent, and it's completely Ferguson's fault.

Played in a few cup and league games, but Fergie was relying on experience to close the gap on City and win the title. Probably still the wisest choice in hindsight.

Pogba was told that this season was a fresh start and he'd get chances, but decided to look elsewhere. It's partly Fergie's fault, yeah. But I don't blame him for doing what he did.

LegoArmo

He was a bit daft, if he had faith in his ability, he would have got a huge pay rise after a season or two in the team. United are very good at rewarding players, like Welbeck and Hernandez with much improved contracts.

PowderedToast

borini and suso are the hottest players in the league

suso for his airhead expressions and slick fringe and borini for his huge beautiful eyes and fantastic facial hair

Salvadora

He was a bit daft, if he had faith in his ability, he would have got a huge pay rise after a season or two in the team. United are very good at rewarding players, like Welbeck and Hernandez with much improved contracts.
I'd be fucked off if I had his ability and United didn't recognize it. Let's not suger coat it, he made the right decision leaving United.

Wilbur

Banned

Yep. He would have played a bunch this season, I'm sure of it. But it didn't work out. Salva's trying to paint it as if Fergus promised him a Phelan handjob special and he didn't even get a look in, but maybe it's just hard for him to understand why you'd turn to experience for winning a title seeing as hardly anyone at Arsenal has experience or experience of winning titles.

Clegg

In general, United have a very good youth policy. Frogie will select a younger player if he feels he's good enough. Pogba was an aberration in that regard.

And if had I to choose between the United model and the Arsenal one, I'd choose United's one a hundred times over.

Daft? He got a pay rise and more opportunities to play by leaving. Where was the incentive for him to stay?

Wilbur

Banned
I'd be fucked off if I had his ability and United didn't recognize it. Let's not suger coat it, he made the right decision leaving United.

Who says United didn't recognise it? They played him in Carling Cup games, he got some cameos in league games. The first two FA Cup games were against City and Liverpool's first teams, would have been a baptism of fire. When it came to a title run in, SAF relied on Scholes who had been there and done it all before instead of an 18 year old.

Then he's told that he's a part of next season's plans but leaves for a bigger offer. His career is now following the exact trajectory it would have at United; start off slow in cup games, get eased into league action.

He did make a good decision leaving United because he's getting paid more for what would have been an equivalent amount of game time, but you're talking like he's a first teamer after what, a few strong league performances? Everyone knows letting him go was somewhat of a mistake, but Fergie stuck to his guns like he has done since time immemorial. This is coming off as more an attempt to criticise Fergie and United rather than an actual comment on how we would have utilised him this season or whatever.

LegoArmo

Daft? He got a pay rise and more opportunities to play by leaving. Where was the incentive for him to stay?

The ceiling is bigger at United. Juventus are great though, and he's definitely going to have a successful career there. I just think he lacked a bit of foresight.

Clegg

The one good United youth player has left.
Pogba wasn't our youth product.

And I'm not talking about academy players. I mean integrating younger players into the first team. Be they academy graduates or new signings.

United are usually very good at that process. Fergie has done great work bedding in younger players alongside our more experienced one's.

He's won titles off the back of that policy.

Salvadora

Who says United didn't recognise it? They played him in Carling Cup games, he got some cameos in league games. The first two FA Cup games were against City and Liverpool's first teams, would have been a baptism of fire. When it came to a title run in, SAF relied on Scholes who had been there and done it all before instead of an 18 year old.

Then he's told that he's a part of next season's plans but leaves for a bigger offer. His career is now following the exact trajectory it would have at United; start off slow in cup games, get eased into league action.

He did make a good decision leaving United because he's getting paid more for what would have been an equivalent amount of game time, but you're talking like he's a first teamer after what, a few strong league performances? Everyone knows letting him go was somewhat of a mistake, but Fergie stuck to his guns like he has done since time immemorial. This is coming off as more an attempt to criticise Fergie and United rather than an actual comment on how we would have utilised him this season or whatever.

Why would he trust you? You are playing two old age pensioners in midfield. Juventus obviously recognized his talent and offered him a place in their project. You offered him nothing.

The ceiling is bigger at United. Juventus are great though, and he's definitely going to have a successful career there. I just think he lacked a bit of foresight.

But he can always move again for more money if he wants. There are bigger ceilings than United.

Wilbury there's no guarantee that he would have got the same amount of games at United.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't agree with more opportunities to play, he would have got the same. I'm sure at the start of the season people would have said Scholes and Giggs were going to be ahead of Anderson and Cleverley but barring injury issues, they haven't. Pogba would have had just as much game time for United this season as he has done for Juventus.

Nonsense saying Scholes would be ahead of him when Scholes is last in our CM pecking order at the moment. It's just selective thinking.

Salvadora

I don't agree with more opportunities to play, he would have got the same. I'm sure at the start of the season people would have said Scholes and Giggs were going to be ahead of Anderson and Cleverley but barring injury issues, they haven't. Pogba would have had just as much game time for United this season as he has done for Juventus.

Nonsense saying Scholes would be ahead of him when Scholes is last in our CM pecking order at the moment. It's just selective thinking.

I honestly think this is nonsense. You would have offered Pogba as much opportunity as ever, nothing.

Clegg

This place is getting heated tonight, I like it.

While we are at it, United fucked up letting Pique go home :p

Honestly, I've no problem with United getting rid of Pique.

He was never in a million years going to displace Rio or Vidic. Those two were world class in their prime and Pique would barely have gotten a look in.

Even if we'd have kept him longer, he would have left a couple of seasons later due to a lack of games.

He ain't that good either.

Timurid

Honestly, I've no problem with United getting rid of Pique.

He was never in a million years going to displace Rio or Vidic. Those two were world class in their prime and Pique would barely have gotten a look in.

Even if we'd have kept him longer, he would have left a couple of seasons later due to a lack of games.

He ain't that good either.

Why did you get rid of Rossi?

I think he probably would have out on loan like Evans, Cleverley and Welbeck did.

Wilbur

Banned
Why would he trust you? You are playing two old age pensioners in midfield. Juventus obviously recognized his talent and offered him a place in their project. You offered him nothing.

We are playing Michael Carrick and Tom Cleverley in midfield. Juventus offered him a place as a back up player, same as we did. The difference is they offered him more money. I don't resent them or Pogba for that, but you're basing your assumptions that we offered him nothing or he'd be last in the imaginary long line of midfielders behind first teamers Scholes and Giggs on almost fuck all, apart from SAF's preference to select wise old heads in a title run in.

You're either trolling or ignoring my posts completely, which is odd from who is normally such a level headed poster.

@Bale, of course there's no guarantee. But if we're taking that tack, then the shit about two pensioners being ahead of him has to stop, considering that out of our four centre midfielders the pensioner is currently last in the pecking order, and out of our four/five wingers, the other pensioner is currently last in the pecking order.

He would have got more game time. It came down to money and a little distrust in SAF, if you ask me. I've got every right to believe the season he's having at Juventus would have been pretty much replicated at United.

Clegg

Rossi is the player I'm most disappointed at United losing.

In general, United are very good at giving opportunities to younger players they feel will make the grade.

But the entire team was built around RVN and Rossi was just never going to get a look in.

Ruud was just too vital a player for us to drop.

Wilbur

Banned
I honestly think this is nonsense. You would have offered Pogba as much opportunity as ever, nothing.

As ever? In the one season he had as a professional? Being 18 years of age? Playing in our Carling Cup games? Not being given a baptism of fire against City and Liverpool's first teams in the FA Cup? Being given substitute time when the result was safe instead of giving him the added pressure of trying to be an essential part of an ultimately unsuccessful tilt at the title?

What are you basing your opinion on? If its just that he had no opportunity last year, then it's a quite narrow minded view with no regard for context.

Timurid

Rossi is the player I'm most disappointed at United losing.

In general, United are very good at giving opportunities to younger players they feel will make the grade.

But the entire team was built around RVN and Rossi was just never going to get a look in.

He would be awesome for you guys. Plus, he would of probably never gotten injured like he did at Villarreal.

We are playing Michael Carrick and Tom Cleverley in midfield. Juventus offered him a place as a back up player, same as we did. The difference is they offered him more money. I don't resent them or Pogba for that, but you're basing your assumptions that we offered him nothing or he'd be last in the imaginary long line of midfielders behind first teamers Scholes and Giggs on almost fuck all, apart from SAF's preference to select wise old heads in a title run in.

You're either trolling or ignoring my posts completely, which is odd from who is normally such a level headed poster.

@Bale, of course there's no guarantee. But if we're taking that tack, then the shit about two pensioners being ahead of him has to stop, considering that out of our four centre midfielders the pensioner is currently last in the pecking order, and out of our four/five wingers, the other pensioner is currently last in the pecking order.

He would have got more game time. It came down to money and a little distrust in SAF, if you ask me. I've got every right to believe the season he's having at Juventus would have been pretty much replicated at United.

See, I don't think you do have any right to believe that. He played 18 games for Juventus so far. There's no chance in hell he would have got that many games at United, especially after what happened in the CL last season.

Salvadora

How do you know that he was offered the same opportunities at United? We know that he was frustrated with the lack of playing time, and I don't think its unwise to assume that Ferguson would place faith in Giggs or Scholes, like he has done on many of an occasion this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom